“Beautiful and relaxing”

Club Med Columbus Isle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in San Salvador
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Love that place everytime I go. I've been there 3 times and I will go again. Nice beach and water. Cool GO. Great "convivialité". The food is excellent . You can have activities; you can do sports like tennis or sailing; you can go snorkling or diving; or you can simply rest by the pool or at the beach. You have everything for everyone. It's not the most beautiful rooms in the Carabiens but it is clean and comfortable. We are there for the beach, the sun and the ambiance !!
Bravo!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helene F
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Columbus Isle, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Helene F,
Thanks for the kind words! We love when our guests have an amazing experience and we're ecstatic to hear this was your third time visiting our resort! It makes us especially happy our beach, dining options and activities surpassed your expectations. We're so glad you had a relaxing vacation, and we can't wait to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Club Med Columbus Isle

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were there for 2 weeks, it was beautiful until the Huricanne Sandy came, but it didn't do much damage, and it didn't last long, we only lost TV and power for an hour, that's nothing but I guess for some guests could be terrible. We did have the last week of sunshine, and the resort tried thier best to make us comfortable during the storm.

And here are the good and bad---

THE GOOD:

The beach, the rooms, the resort, and the food are so so much better than the Club med in Turks & Caico. The guests in this resort were polite (I mean you don't see many single guys try to pick up girls or GOs everynight like you would see at Turks), the GOs are very professional.

I want to mention couple GOs that made our stay really unforgettable, and they are over the top:
-Jeon, the sport manager, he was always there to greet everyone, and really care about what we feel and what we need, I think he does more than a sport manager was required to do.
-Todd, the bartender, he was the best bartender we have ever seen, he remembers exectly what everyone likes to drink, and everytime when we walked in the bar, before we even reach the bar counter, our favorite drinks were ready for us! what a service!
-Peter & Tisbeth at the diving center, cool people! they were super friendly and helpful. Eric always has lots of info. about scuba for us too.

THE BAD:

The main language in the resort is French, for someone like us who don't speak a word of french are very frustrated. For example, they have people work at receiption who doesn't speak any English. The first night we arrived, the show at the theatre was French Joke, so for us who don't speak french weren't even included, and some other nights they have a funny session in the show also speak french. Then the Chief was worse! His french acent was really bad, even when he spoke english, it sounds like he was speaking french the whole time! The whole language issue made our stay unwelcome.
They said the reason for that was more than 60% of the guests are french, but for us, we paid the same amount of money, but didn't receive the same amount of service. I think they should mainly speak the international language instead.

Overall, it s a very good resort, I will still go back.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs have better views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We just returned from Club Med Columbus Isle, and we loved it. We were fortunate enough to arrive just after Hurricane Sandy passed. A Nor'easter caused some turbulence during our first few days, making it difficult to sail, snorkel, or even hang out on the beach. The weather continued to improve each day, and by the end of our 7-day visit, we had taken a bus tour of the island and a lagoon tour with snorkeling and a sumptuous lobster picnic. The weather is no one's fault, and we were just grateful to enjoy the sunny weather in such a beautiful, well-maintained, and friendly resort.

Highlights of the trip included:

- Aqua gym: All of the instructors were great, but Pukine was amazing - so energetic and funny. He made the class so enjoyable, and I looked forward to it every day. His workouts had great music, and another GO, JP, graciously helped me find the names of those tracks.

- On-site local advice: Shenique, a wonderful Bahamian woman, provided friendly and practical advice on excursions (more below), but she did even more than that. The resort does not offer any local goods, and Shenique went out of her way to help me find local souvenirs. In particular, I was interested in buying some local food (e.g., jams, Mortimer's candies), and she went above and beyond to direct me to the right stores. I so appreciated her help and interest. She made a huge difference, and I was really happy with the goods I was able to bring home.

- Excursions: We really enjoyed the bus tour by Clifford Fernander, who even made a stop into Cockburn town for some souvenir shopping. We loved the lagoon tour, where Bruno Fernander (Clifford's son) patiently guided us through snorkeling and then led our group to the most amazing and memorable outdoor lunch I've ever had. We truly felt like Hollywood royalty (which we are not) with the gracious treatment and amazing meal we had on the beach. I really enjoyed learning about the Bahamas -- and especially San Salvador -- from Shenique, Clifford, and Bruno.

- The GOs and Chief of Village: Charles, Chief of Village, was so friendly and gracious with us. All of the GOs were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable -- pretty remarkable, considering that they were a new crew (which I never would have guessed) and that they are responsible for daytime hosting as well as evening entertainment. We especially enjoyed our conversations with Jeon, Todd, JP, Camille, and Fred. Charles and all of the GOs are so talented, dedicated, and gracious, and we would have loved to hang out more with each of them.

- The cats: Jean-Claude, the resident cat, provided endless entertainment with his wiley maneuvering of the dining area. I loved when he would come visit our table. He is such a clever cat. We also encountered other feral cats, who were more hesitant but very cute.

Other thoughts:

- Food: The range of food offerings was mind-blowing and sumptuous. It is hard to make tasty food in mass quantities, and I was really impressed by not only the amount of food, but its overall quality. My one request is to feature local food every day, not just offering a Bahamian night one out of seven nights. One of my biggest regrets from this trip was not eating more local food. Watlings provided a nice table service option, and the chef there was both resourceful and creative in honoring his menu despite limited supplies (due to a shipment delay).

- Gift shop: This was a nice gift shop, but quite limited in its offerings. I wish it had offered local souvenirs, especially food-related ones. It would have been great if the shop carried some local candy (like Mortimer's) or some local jam flavors (e.g., guava, papaya). But overall the shop staff was friendly and helpful, just like all of the other GOs.

- Sand fleas: This is just part of nature, but I highly recommend bringing some type of bug repellant (we used Avon Skin So Soft lotion, and it worked) rather than purchasing it at the gift shop. Those sand fleas are everywhere on the beach, and we constantly worried they would infest our room. We actually found a few in our bed, but as soon as we alerted housekeeping, they immediately changed our sheets and gave us some bug spray.

This was my first visit to a Club Med, and it definitely made a positive impression on me. Thank you again, Columbus Isle, for making our vacation so wonderful!

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view. It is quieter, with great views.
1  Thank LincolnHawk

Dear LincolnHawk,
Thanks for the review! We're thrilled to hear you had a spectacular vacation despite and that our dining options, staff, activities and entertainment surpassed your expectations. We strive to make sure each guest has a memorable experience and we're so glad your first Club Med vacation was absolutely wonderful. Thank you again for sharing, and we hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

we had troubles from the start; they kept us waiting four hours for an upgrade that did not happen. the staff are young, inexperience & not caring. the food is mediocre/bulk, the premises are in serious disrepair!! we were there during hurricane sandy & the club was not functioning; no electricity, phone, aircon, etc. & they did not give us refund to evacuate. this is a "cheap/ymca" type of holiday (with four star price) for people who don't mind being treated like kids & dictated to! I give it two stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8  Thank soraya k
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to Columbus Isle for our honeymoon 15 years ago. It was only 5 years old then and was spectacular. It has definitely aged and is in need of renovation/upgrades. However, this is one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere and the GO's were amazing, social, entertaining and fun. We were unfortunately there during Hurricane Sandy, but the staff squeezed in as many activities for us as possible. We even had our own scuba guide (Eric) for a shallow dive (we didn't have time to do the full training - we've been before.) We paddleboarded when the water was calm (awesome!), jet skied (special excursion to Iguana Island - don't miss this! So great to see a rare species of iguana on a tiny island!), sailed in crazy wind and kayaked too.

The bartenders were great, although I think Club Med could definitely upgrade their wines and liquors for the all-inclusive pricing. Frozen drinks were way too sweet/fake for me too. Dancing was so much fun. As always, we met lots of really great GM's as well from all over the U.S., Italy, France, etc. The food was great with lots of variety.

Dear TinyBaby19,,
Thank you for posting a review about our Club Med Columbus Isle resort. We're so glad you had a fantastic anniversary enjoying all our resort has to offer such as diving, paddleboarding, jet skiing, sailing and kayaking. It also makes us so happy to hear you found our staff, dining options and entertainment to be wonderful. Thank you again for sharing, and we hope you celebrate with us again in the future!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was my 5th time at Columbus Isle and we always have a great time! Fantastic beach, great scuba diving, decent food, and really wonderful place to spend a week unwinding. We got in 4 great days of diving before Hurricane Sandy disrupted us. During those dives we saw a baby nurse shark snoozing along the wall at 60', numerous reef sharks, a hammerhead or two, a spotted eel slithering along the ocean floor, and all kinds of other colorful fish.

There is a new Chief of the Village--Charles. He seemed to be very cordial and was everywhere chatting with the customers. The kitchen crew was extremely friendly even if the food wasn't great. The fish always seemed to be a bit overdone and the girl they had cooking eggs in the morning was just terrible. She tried but it seemed as if she had never actually cooked before.

The hurricane cut short our outside activities but they do offer snorkeling, water skiing, tennis, pool games, and a wonderful beach to just relax by and catch lots of rays. Luckily, Club Med has its own generator so even when the electricity went out, we still had electricity. The internet seemed to work better this time as we were able to get it pretty good in the room. Speaking of rooms, the sea view rooms are the best. Even if you are tired, you can just lay in your bed and look out at the beautiful ocean. You can also view the hurricane blowing the waves sideways rather than straight in to the beach.

This is a great place to enjoy yourself for a week as long as you don't have a hurricane.

Things I suggest--the toilet paper is pretty cheap so you might consider bringing your own. Also, there is no A/C in the bathroom area so we always take a small fan. It is way too hot in there without the fan. They could also use more comfortable beds. The housekeeping service was excellent!

Enjoy yourself at Columbus Isle because even though you can get much nicer places, they cost a lot more.

Room Tip: Bring a small fan and some good toilet paper.
2  Thank JJTripper
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Columbus Isle, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear JJTripper,
Thank you for posting a review about our resort. We're so glad you had a fabulous vacation and that you enjoyed all the activities we have to offer such as scuba diving, water skiing and tennis. We're also pleased to know you found our staff to be so hospitable. We apologize for any discomfort you experienced due to the hurricane, and thank you for your suggestions as we are always looking for ways to improve and greatly appreciate any insights our guests may have. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This was my first trip to Columbus Isle and to any Club Med. The staff (GOs & GEs) were wonderful. It started off very pleasant by being welcomed at the main door by clapping and singing of the GOs.
Jean-Paul was very helpful with information about scuba diving and the dive operation. The dive boats were spacious and well equipped. I dove 2X 2 days and loved it. I got see a hammerhead shark along with several reef sharks. I never felt rushed and had great site briefings. Tisbeth was a great dive guide.
Todd, Sepa and Christopher at the bar were attentive and fun as also with the women bartenders (Sorry, I don't remember their names).
Pokine was fun during aqua gym and was very accommodating for activities I wanted to do but were not enough participants (ie: bocce-ball). He taught me the rules and made it fun...also a great dancer at night! Joseph B was entertaining with singing one of his original songs in the evening (I didn't play tennis so I can't comment there). Fred got everyone together for volleyball and made it fun, he also showed us to our room and explained how everything worked. Eddy had a football ready in the afternoon which I loved throwing around on the beach with him. The Canadian girl GO was wonderful teaching me how to sail the hobie-cat(sp?). She said she loved sailing with her father, it showed she loved it, even with very little wind.
The food was amazing from having a different food culture each evening to having different ice-cream flavours in the ice-cream machine (My favourite was the mint-chocolate). The only negative was that I drink decaf coffee and it was not enjoyable. I would drink the decaf in my room before breakfast which was much better than in the machines in the dining room. I had white wine with dinner each night which was quite pleasant. The dining staff were standing ready to seat us and my plate was cleared every time I got up to get more food from the buffet. I liked the assortment of breads, fish, fruit and salads (I tried to stay away from the desserts but there was too much delicious chocolate to say no to).
The chief de village was Charles. He popped up everywhere. He greeted people when they came into the dining room every night and at lunch, he participated in the shows, got everyone dancing at night, he came around every day about 4pm with 3 or 4 other GOs to serve fruit (even on the beach...this was luxury). I saw him everywhere in the resort; gift shop, reception, around the pool, etc. With a smile, he would ask if everyone was OK and if they were enjoying themselves.

Now like everywhere, there is always room for improvment. There should be a proper chair in the room so guests can sit at the desk and work (on computer). I had to sit on the bed with my computer on my lap, which is not comfortable. I just needed to check my emails for an hour each morning and like to use my own computer for convenience sake. (I might have got one if I asked for one). The sand-flees were bad in the evening. I felt sorry for the children who were covered with bites. The OFF spray in the boutique was very expensive for a small can. My friend didn't have her credit card with her and found it inconvenient not to have an ATM machine on the property. I had to put all her purchases on my credit card and settle up when we were back in the Florida airport. The internet was sketchy. We didn't have it up until the evening of the first day (it wasn't working anywhere in the village). It would lock-up at times and was inconvenient to login and logout all the time. Also, I think it should be included in the price. There were areas where it needed some paint, around the bungalows, but the design and inside the rooms were very nice.

It was a great resort including the layout, beach, staff, diving, activities and food. I would love to return to a great experience. I met lots of wonderful people too.

Room Tip: I had an ocean facing room, great to wake up to.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank sharoncandive

Dear sharoncandive,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about Club Med Columbus Isle. We are so happy to hear you had a fabulous time enjoying all our resort has to offer such as our beach, activities and dining options. We apologize for the concerns you mentioned and will be addressing them immediately. Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate any insights our guests may have. We're so glad you had a wonderful experience, and we hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Salvador
#2 of 23 in Andros
The Pointe Resort
The Pointe Resort
#2 of 5 in Andros

Been to Club Med Columbus Isle? Share your experiences!