Facilities are top-notch. Transfer to/from the airport, while on your own, is easy. The pool is lovely, the villas well-maintained, and the grounds and beach are kept about as close to spotless as you can get.
Food in the Palapa restaurant (your only real choice unless you cook for yourself) is good, and so is the service. Drinks are served in plastic barware (so you get the "right" shape for your martini and can't break the glass should you accidentally knock it over). Beware breakfast - the restaurant (and the pool) overlooks part of the neighboring Sandals resort's golf course, which is watered each morning with "grey" water. If the wind is right, you and all your food get a good spraying down.
Activities - there are beachfront toys (kayaks, etc) available on site. As we were waiting for our departure taxi we heard someone mention there's a concierge desk. Really? News to us... and to all our friends who had stayed here ahead of us. But apparently there is - just not well-publicized. Likewise the multiple folders at the reception desk with available charters, etc. Unusual for a resort, no one is going to offer these to you (or even draw your attention to them). If you want to "do stuff" off-resort, you'll need to be a self-starter and take action for yourself. Having said all that, the reception staff is always ready to assist you - just ask!
There were always lots of people around - couples, families, and some with very young kids - but it never felt like it was crowded. Reservations for dinner are required; make them early in the day (by noon) to ensure you get the table time you want. We had to wait for seating one evening; there were plenty of open tables, but they work to even out the workload on the kitchen so they don't get slammed all at once.
Wine and alcohol lists are good - plenty from which to choose. Prices may be a bit steeper than you're used to at other resorts ($5 for a small local beer and almost $15 for a classic cocktail with call liquor).
We had a good time here, and recommend it - as long as you have your eyes open going in and know what to expect up front.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, The Bahamas, Grand Isle Resort & Spa is a stunning ocean front resort. The exclusive gated community comprises 78 luxuriously appointed 1- to 4-bedroom villas that range from 1,250 sq. ft. to 5,200 sq. ft. and offer a fully equipped kitchen, spacious living area, high-end amenities, and extraordinary views. Getting around the resort is quick and convenient, as every villa is equipped with a personal golf cart. Grand Isle is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and is ideally suited for family holidays, romantic getaways, destination weddings and honeymoons, or for simply enjoying the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Isle Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Isle Resort And Spa
- Grand Isle Hotel Great Exuma
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa Great Exuma, Bahamas