Our family of five stayed here the first week of August in a two bedroom villa with a pullout couch. If I could rate this hotel, it will be a 4.5 because the beach in front of the resort had a lot of seaweed and this black/ brown plants which washed ashore the entire time we were there... I mean lots of them by the end of the week. I can tell that they tried to clean it up and really, they cant control nature.This resort sits above Emerald bay. If you walk 5 min. past Sandals next door,the beach is cleaner. If you snorkel, right near the rocks at grand isle, there are tons of fish so there are pros and cons concerning its location depending on what you are looking for.
The other reason why I give 4.5 is because I think the housekeeping could have done a better job wiping or sweeping at least the foyer area everyday. With 3 teens, it was becoming sandy and dirty. Also, I had to request things to be refilled which I thought they would do automatically in a luxury hotel like this. Lastly, We reserved an ocean view but it was facing the marina with a yellow house and some boats. Our friends also requested ocean view. Their view was a little better.. a faraway view of the ocean obstructed with trees and other villas.
At the end, it really did not matter because this is why...
When we landed in Exuma, we received word that my father-in-law passed away suddenly. Somehow the front desk knew and gave their condolences. There were lots of positive things that I have to say.
First, the staff and service was excellent. Kevin bought cold drinks to all on the beach. Emerson entertained the kids at the pool. Leon was an excellent waiter and there were others on staff who were so friendly, I wish I can remember them all. The resort is peaceful and everyone was so friendly. There are paddle boats and kayaks that you can use for no charge. The entire island is friendly...much more than Turks and cayman.
Second, the restaurant at the resort is excellent. Our friends and our family usually would venture out but the food was so good that we ate there once for breakfast and lunch and 3x for dinner. Btw, bring bug spray and lots of cortisone. My son got 65 bites and I was bitten a lot by the end of the trip.
I would suggest getting a car since this resort is far from the grocery store and it is ideal to check out stocking island (take ferry from georgetown ($12 round trip/pp). A dolphin came close ashore and our kids got a chance to swim around it. You must also go to Tropic of Cancer which is about 45 min away. There are not many road signs but when you see a sign that says beach wink villas and some trash cans out, that is where you make the turn to Tropic of Cancer. Our friends went to coco plum beach and they loved there, too.
Overall, the resort itself was very good. Despite our sad news, grand isle did its job to make our stay wonderful especially in our difficult time. I don't think I saw a better resort anywhere like this while we were driving on Great Exuma.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, The Bahamas, Grand Isle Resort & Spa is a stunning ocean front resort. The exclusive gated community comprises 78 luxuriously appointed 1- to 4-bedroom villas that range from 1,250 sq. ft. to 5,200 sq. ft. and offer a fully equipped kitchen, spacious living area, high-end amenities, and extraordinary views. Getting around the resort is quick and convenient, as every villa is equipped with a personal golf cart. Grand Isle is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and is ideally suited for family holidays, romantic getaways, destination weddings and honeymoons, or for simply enjoying the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with seekda GmbH, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Isle Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Isle Resort And Spa
- Grand Isle Hotel Great Exuma
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa Great Exuma, Bahamas