“Perfect winter getaway”

Grand Isle Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our luxury two bedroom villa is in a complex of four, with built in garages for the complimentary golf carts. The great room is on the second floor with an amazing view of the harbour and ocean beyond. Fully equipped kitchen for in-villa meals. Coconut and other palms around the building. Oleanders, hibiscus, azalea, and bougainvillea everywhere. Long sandy beach and an amazing infinity pool, with excellent poolside beverage and snack service. Golf course surrounds the resort with a marina next door. Palapa Grill for breakfast, lunch and dinner (reservations suggested for dinner). Staff are very friendly and attentive. We have an outstanding winter getaway with a direct flight from Toronto to cut down on the travel fuss.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gentlemansportion

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Myself and 20 of my friends spent 1 week here last July (2012). We helped my best friend celebrate her 50th Birthday here. The staff went above and beyond to help us get this big day all set up. We started planning this party in Feb. 2012 and they helped us every step of the way. We could e-mail the manager and she would get back to us with in a couple of days with the answer. All the girls and guys that work in the bar area are THE BOMB!!!!!!!! This was my second visit there and I'm so ready to go back and see all the wonderful staff and relax in the beautiful villas.

Room Tip: Any villa next to the pool is great!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JNOKES77
Reviewed March 19, 2013

First, the resort is fantastic: spectacular appointed rooms, beautiful clean property, great for walks or runs along a golf course to the harbor. Views from my room were wonderful and very serene to me when I visited 1 st week of March. Weather? Air temp hit 82 and sun for all the days.
Restaurant at GIRS is wonderful for all meals...don't leave it!
Personnel at GIRS are wonderful and warm people..where did they come from? Heaven?

Ok the downside. The island is not ready for prime time tourism due to :
Other restaurants are non existent. We do like to explore like we do in Nassau. All places top places recommended here on TA outside of the resort are dive bars fit only for natives. They smell of beer and are not what a first or even second class restaurant should be...we walked out with our cab driver from the nearest one after arriving (but, honey, the flourescent lighting is so quaint!)...it was even recommended by the personnel at GIRS..only bad thing they did.

If you like dive bars, then go for it...the beer is cold and the other travellers are , like us, all glad to share our shocking experience in these dive bars that resemble purgatory with sand. Uuuwwee!

Oh, renting a car for a day is worthless. I travelled an entire day around the whole island ...a waste of time..bad roads and not easy to reach the only Holy Grail beach : Tropic of Cancer...didn't make it folks , even with help from local natives on site. Dirt and rocky side gravelly road about a mile off road. Go explorers!!, don't go vacationers unless you want a broken ankle. Worse, a waste of a whole day to our minds.

Water? Delightful to look at but regrettable to swim in. Lots of seaweed nearby on the beach and in the water; and , yes, beach is cleaned by the great grounds crew daily. But we got bit mercilessly by sea lice this year which almost let to a hospital visit. Hydra cortisone gel helped get rid of it after 4 days..Ouch!

Yes, we knew about the jelly fish larvae and walked way down where there was no seaweed in the water . But the buggers DO let go of the weed and are throughout the water..apparently.
Would I go back again...wwweeellll, it's hard to reach from the Midwest by 3 flights.
We travel extensively to Paradise Is...and , yes, had one tangle with the lice.....but it's a faster air time.

Going to PI in May and taking lots of Safe Sea to keep all sea lice away since it could be all over the Caribbean this year. East coasters take note and perhaps use GIRS as a nice 3 or 4 day getaway stay at this jewel of a resort..and bring the Safe Sea lotion.

Room Tip: First unit on right side of office; ask for an ocean view..they are very accomodating.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank newage44
Reviewed March 18, 2013

MY husband and I spent two weeks here in March 2012. This was without a doubt one of the nicest properties we've been. We had a one bedroom villa which was really lovely. High end everything. Beautifully appointed, well stocked, tastefully decorated. I enjoyed feeling pampered in the large whirlpool tub and designer kitchen.

We have been to many islands in the Caribbean and they all have their own beauty. I always have thought that the beaches of the Bahamas are the best. The Exumas are the gold standard. The colour of the water is indescribable. More turquoise than you could imagine and then throw in a hint of vibrant blue. The best!

The staff of Grand Isle were great, especially the ladies at the front desk. Always pleasant and more than helpful. A sincere thank you to our special girl who went out of her way to check us in for our flight home right from the hotel. Why would she do this? Because she could...and she was being nice.

We rented a car for a few days and did some trips into the town for groceries, a bit of sightseeing and restaurants.
I found Exuma relatively quiet and rural, which suits me fine.
We did a day boat trip around some of the other smaller islands. It included snorkelling , the swimming pigs and swimming with the sharks. Lots of fun! I would recommend it.

Grand Isle sits on the golf course that is owned by Sandals next door. The tees and greens are so pretty and can be enjoyed even if you don't golf.
Each villa has it's own golf cart which was a treat to use to get around. Also a bonus when the bar needs to be restocked. There was a liquor store a couple of minutes away (by cart) :)

The spa was fabulous. Large and well equipped. Services were top notch and professional.

All in all this is a piece of paradise if you can afford it. We lucked into a very good special.
If you're looking for R&R and beautiful beaches this is the place!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RGA_11
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went for 3 days before a sailing trip with another family. The facilities a wonderfull. Condo are luxurious. The beach is beautiful. I strongly recommend if you can afford it! Poll is nice and near restaurant. Order a drink on the beach!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Georges D
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just returned from five days at the Grand Isle Resort -- wow! My husband and I travel extensively in the Caribbean and have stayed at a number of the nicest resorts the area has to offer. I rank Grand Isle at the top of the list. Here are some of the things that make this resort so fabulous:

1. The rooms/grounds -- the rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated, very clean, equipped with top of the line appliances, with a well-appointed kitchen. The master suites have HUGE bathrooms. The resort also has a blazing fast internet connection to boot. (We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean front penthouse 7302.) The pictures you see on TA of the rooms don't do them justice - they are even nicer than they look in the pix. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and maintained. A real tropical island feel to the place. The pool is large and heated! Loved that since it was a bit cold when we were there. The whole place is clean, up-scale, and well-kept.

2. The staff -- even with the most beautiful resort, if the staff isn't up to par, your experience won't be either. Grand Isle has no worries in this regard. EVERYONE we met --- from the guy at the front gate, to the wait staff at the restaurant, to the towel guy, to the housekeeping staff, to the front desk ladies --- was friendly, courteous, helpful, and professional. I can't say enough about the people at this resort. Now it may be the island -- Exuma itself is the friendliest island we have ever visited. But whatever the reason, the owners of this resort have assembled a great team who, just by the way they do their job, make this place a five star place to stay. (Shout out to Shavar (sp?) in the restaurant. Suggested I try the grouper and I ate it four nights in a row! Remembered me and my husband after waiting on us on the first night and always stopped to say hello when he saw us.)

3. The restaurant -- we ate there 4 out of 5 nights for dinner. The food was consistently great. (Though I always ordered the grouper, my husband opted to try other dishes so I got to taste some of the other things on the menu.) I can't speak to the prices and how they compare to other places on the island, but in my opinion, no need to leave the resort for a great meal. The restaurant sits on the edge of the pool, surrounded by tropical plants and trees, and overlooks the beach. A very nice setting, especially at sunset. My only complaint -- the blender plus the swinging door to the kitchen can make certain tables less than desirable from a noise standpoint. But a very small complaint.

4. Location of the resort. Overlooks a pretty beach with water the color of something otherworldly. Every morning they had the beach combed by a tractor - nice touch. Though it was a little too cold when we were there to go in the water, the setting itself was just perfect

All in all, we thought that the resort was just top-notch in every regard. When the only thing you can complain about is blender noise at the bar, you know you have found perfection. I rated this resort very highly, but did not give it an excellent in terms of location because it is a bit of a drive to Georgetown and other locations -- not a problem for us because we rented a car. But if you did not want to rent a car, using a taxi to get around would get expensive fast.

We intend to return to this resort soon (preferably when it is warmer so we can enjoy the water) -- it is the resort that made our trip to Exuma a great vacation.

Room Tip: The two bedroom penthouse is very spacious -- two couples could easily share this suite and not feel...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dickens526
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at Grand Isle Resort & Spa in the month of March 2013 for 4 days. This was the most exquisite rental property I have ever seen. Right on the beach, top notch accomodations, technologically integrated, fantastic kitchen with its own golf cart. This place was luxurious right down to its bathrooms. If you need a place to get away and be absolutely comfortable in a high-class setting, rent unit #1314. The owners of this place did not spare a dime in its accomodations.

The staff was excellent and make you feel right at home. The beaches and ininitey pool were uncrowded and the spa was divine. I can not wait to get back to this place and hope that we can stay in our same villa.

Most excellent experience.

Room Tip: Rent room 1314. It is a 3 bedroom villa two levels. One room has a twin bed, the other has a king...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 4 in George Town
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
#5 of 14 in Great Exuma

Been to Grand Isle Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!