I just returned from five days at the Grand Isle Resort -- wow! My husband and I travel extensively in the Caribbean and have stayed at a number of the nicest resorts the area has to offer. I rank Grand Isle at the top of the list. Here are some of the things that make this resort so fabulous:
1. The rooms/grounds -- the rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated, very clean, equipped with top of the line appliances, with a well-appointed kitchen. The master suites have HUGE bathrooms. The resort also has a blazing fast internet connection to boot. (We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean front penthouse 7302.) The pictures you see on TA of the rooms don't do them justice - they are even nicer than they look in the pix. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and maintained. A real tropical island feel to the place. The pool is large and heated! Loved that since it was a bit cold when we were there. The whole place is clean, up-scale, and well-kept.
2. The staff -- even with the most beautiful resort, if the staff isn't up to par, your experience won't be either. Grand Isle has no worries in this regard. EVERYONE we met --- from the guy at the front gate, to the wait staff at the restaurant, to the towel guy, to the housekeeping staff, to the front desk ladies --- was friendly, courteous, helpful, and professional. I can't say enough about the people at this resort. Now it may be the island -- Exuma itself is the friendliest island we have ever visited. But whatever the reason, the owners of this resort have assembled a great team who, just by the way they do their job, make this place a five star place to stay. (Shout out to Shavar (sp?) in the restaurant. Suggested I try the grouper and I ate it four nights in a row! Remembered me and my husband after waiting on us on the first night and always stopped to say hello when he saw us.)
3. The restaurant -- we ate there 4 out of 5 nights for dinner. The food was consistently great. (Though I always ordered the grouper, my husband opted to try other dishes so I got to taste some of the other things on the menu.) I can't speak to the prices and how they compare to other places on the island, but in my opinion, no need to leave the resort for a great meal. The restaurant sits on the edge of the pool, surrounded by tropical plants and trees, and overlooks the beach. A very nice setting, especially at sunset. My only complaint -- the blender plus the swinging door to the kitchen can make certain tables less than desirable from a noise standpoint. But a very small complaint.
4. Location of the resort. Overlooks a pretty beach with water the color of something otherworldly. Every morning they had the beach combed by a tractor - nice touch. Though it was a little too cold when we were there to go in the water, the setting itself was just perfect
All in all, we thought that the resort was just top-notch in every regard. When the only thing you can complain about is blender noise at the bar, you know you have found perfection. I rated this resort very highly, but did not give it an excellent in terms of location because it is a bit of a drive to Georgetown and other locations -- not a problem for us because we rented a car. But if you did not want to rent a car, using a taxi to get around would get expensive fast.
We intend to return to this resort soon (preferably when it is warmer so we can enjoy the water) -- it is the resort that made our trip to Exuma a great vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, The Bahamas, Grand Isle Resort & Spa is a stunning ocean front resort. The exclusive gated community comprises 78 luxuriously appointed 1- to 4-bedroom villas that range from 1,250 sq. ft. to 5,200 sq. ft. and offer a fully equipped kitchen, spacious living area, high-end amenities, and extraordinary views. Getting around the resort is quick and convenient, as every villa is equipped with a personal golf cart. Grand Isle is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and is ideally suited for family holidays, romantic getaways, destination weddings and honeymoons, or for simply enjoying the beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Isle Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Isle Resort And Spa
- Grand Isle Hotel Great Exuma
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa Great Exuma, Bahamas