“Grand Isle is Grand!”

Grand Isle Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just returned from five days at the Grand Isle Resort -- wow! My husband and I travel extensively in the Caribbean and have stayed at a number of the nicest resorts the area has to offer. I rank Grand Isle at the top of the list. Here are some of the things that make this resort so fabulous:

1. The rooms/grounds -- the rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated, very clean, equipped with top of the line appliances, with a well-appointed kitchen. The master suites have HUGE bathrooms. The resort also has a blazing fast internet connection to boot. (We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean front penthouse 7302.) The pictures you see on TA of the rooms don't do them justice - they are even nicer than they look in the pix. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and maintained. A real tropical island feel to the place. The pool is large and heated! Loved that since it was a bit cold when we were there. The whole place is clean, up-scale, and well-kept.

2. The staff -- even with the most beautiful resort, if the staff isn't up to par, your experience won't be either. Grand Isle has no worries in this regard. EVERYONE we met --- from the guy at the front gate, to the wait staff at the restaurant, to the towel guy, to the housekeeping staff, to the front desk ladies --- was friendly, courteous, helpful, and professional. I can't say enough about the people at this resort. Now it may be the island -- Exuma itself is the friendliest island we have ever visited. But whatever the reason, the owners of this resort have assembled a great team who, just by the way they do their job, make this place a five star place to stay. (Shout out to Shavar (sp?) in the restaurant. Suggested I try the grouper and I ate it four nights in a row! Remembered me and my husband after waiting on us on the first night and always stopped to say hello when he saw us.)

3. The restaurant -- we ate there 4 out of 5 nights for dinner. The food was consistently great. (Though I always ordered the grouper, my husband opted to try other dishes so I got to taste some of the other things on the menu.) I can't speak to the prices and how they compare to other places on the island, but in my opinion, no need to leave the resort for a great meal. The restaurant sits on the edge of the pool, surrounded by tropical plants and trees, and overlooks the beach. A very nice setting, especially at sunset. My only complaint -- the blender plus the swinging door to the kitchen can make certain tables less than desirable from a noise standpoint. But a very small complaint.

4. Location of the resort. Overlooks a pretty beach with water the color of something otherworldly. Every morning they had the beach combed by a tractor - nice touch. Though it was a little too cold when we were there to go in the water, the setting itself was just perfect

All in all, we thought that the resort was just top-notch in every regard. When the only thing you can complain about is blender noise at the bar, you know you have found perfection. I rated this resort very highly, but did not give it an excellent in terms of location because it is a bit of a drive to Georgetown and other locations -- not a problem for us because we rented a car. But if you did not want to rent a car, using a taxi to get around would get expensive fast.

We intend to return to this resort soon (preferably when it is warmer so we can enjoy the water) -- it is the resort that made our trip to Exuma a great vacation.

Room Tip: The two bedroom penthouse is very spacious -- two couples could easily share this suite and not feel...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dickens526
There are newer reviews for Grand Isle Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at Grand Isle Resort & Spa in the month of March 2013 for 4 days. This was the most exquisite rental property I have ever seen. Right on the beach, top notch accomodations, technologically integrated, fantastic kitchen with its own golf cart. This place was luxurious right down to its bathrooms. If you need a place to get away and be absolutely comfortable in a high-class setting, rent unit #1314. The owners of this place did not spare a dime in its accomodations.

The staff was excellent and make you feel right at home. The beaches and ininitey pool were uncrowded and the spa was divine. I can not wait to get back to this place and hope that we can stay in our same villa.

Most excellent experience.

Room Tip: Rent room 1314. It is a 3 bedroom villa two levels. One room has a twin bed, the other has a king...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SWM_5544
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

The staff at Grand Isle is awesome. All the units are nice. The furnishings are top notch and the kitchen has every utensil one could need. We stayed in unit 1314 and it was awesome! The view was spectacular and restaurant was great. Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Jimmielou
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The property was beautiful and the use of a golf cart was a nice touch. The villa I stayed in was beautifully furnished and very clean. I did have a problem with the patio door not locking so I called the front desk and they said they would have maintenance up right away. I got back to the room and checked 4 hours later and the door was still not working. I called again and they said they would send someone right away, an hour and a half later still no one. I called again and they said he was on his way. The beach could have been beautiful if they would have kept the trash picked up. There were plastic strips (maybe recycled then dumped in the ocean?) all over the beach. If you walk down to Sandals their beach front was kept clean so it was more enjoyable to walk on. Overall, I would stay here again as the villa was beautiful and the pool area was very nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Six of us traveled from NYC for a week long vacation. Two people in our group were here the year before. They had such a great time they wanted to go again and their photos and stories made us all want to join them.

It was our best vacation to date. Everyone at Grand Isle was so kind. We took full advantage of their beach, pool, hot tub, gym and restaurant. We also enjoyed spending time in our two bedroom, two and a half bathroom villa where we cooked some group dinners and breakfasts. The villas come with every thing you need to make yourself at home.

The golf course is breathtaking. I don't play but it made a perfect course for a morning jog.
If you go, be sure to travel the island stopping at the fish fry, having some conch salad, take a water taxi to the Chat 'N' Chill and surely ask about day trip boat rides.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We just returned from the most fabulous vacation at Grand Isle Resort & Spa. The villa we rented was gorgeous. It was clean, comfortable and HUGE! It also had every amenity you could ask for. Basically, we were ready to move in permanently. Each room comes with a golf cart to get you around the resort. The golf course is breath-taking. The beach is just steps away with coral reefs, the bluest water, and white sands. The pool/bar/restaraunt area is fabulous. The food is great. We ate and drank there at least once everyday. The view from the pool is so pretty, I just had to mention it! Another thing that must be said is that the staff at the Resort are so friendly, we couldn't stop noticing it. A nice, professional staff can really make a vacation that much better. Thank you Grand Isle Resort & Spa! WE WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Serena D
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Words cannot describe how wonderful our one week holiday at Grand Isle Resort was; nor can pictures do it justice! My family of four felt pampered and we fully appreciated all the luxuries provided by the gorgeous resort. Our villa was immaculate and stunning - view was "to die for." Restaurant service was excellent and food delicious. We all loved the heated pool and we took full advantage of lots of the "beach toys" such as boogie boards, snorkling equipment, kayaks, and even pails and shovels to make sand castles! The concierge was very helpful in organizing our fabulous excursion around the cays - an experience of a lifetime! Renting a car also enabled us to explore the island, enjoy some other beaches and get some groceries. We had great fun riding the golf carts around the grounds. Before we left, my daughter and I even pampered ourselves at the spa! Definitely stay at Grand Isle Resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in George Town
Paradise Bay Bahamas
Paradise Bay Bahamas
#1 of 15 in Great Exuma

Been to Grand Isle Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!