“Sandals emerald bay was amazing”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Great Exuma
“Sandals emerald bay was amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

The resort was amazing and best trip I have ever takin. Everyone there was super nice and very helpful. A women by the name of georgette took our engagement pictures and they are the best pictures I have ever seen. If any of y'all want to get pictures made down there I highly recommend u ask for her. She down a wonderful job and makes it really fun. We will going back to emerald bay sometime in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Richielee81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,228)
Signal Hill, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have never written a review but this was such a horrible experience I have to. I don't even know where to start with this resort. We spent a nice amount of money and per our request we told our travel agent we wanted the best all inclusive and we were willing to pay a bit extra. My husband and I travel quite a bit and do one big trip each year. This resort is far from luxury. I will go down the list of all things that went wrong from the moment we arrived.
* Room was dirty - rug underneath the bed looked like it belonged in a bar. We called down and requested a nicer room (we said we would pay the difference). They said we have one of the nicer rooms and would not let us move. We had a 3rd floor basic room. We were not in a suite and they had plenty of options to upgrade us as the resort was only 60% full according to the front desk.
* We had to continuously call down for more water as they would only bring us a few at a time.
* They did not have snorkeling available or even goggles to just swim around the ocean in.
*Our first night we set our reservations for dinner and were only able to get one night at the French restaurant and one at the Italian. We had hoped to have more than two nights booked at these restaurants. The food at the Italian restaurant was decent but the French restaurant was not. We got excited that they had Foie Gras on the menu and upgraded to a nice bottle of champagne to enjoy with this dish. When we ordered they were of course out. We did however receive the French onion soup which came with a piece of white wonder bread (not toasted) and un-melted cheese on the top.
* Food was TERRIBLE and drinks were awful. They did not have a drink menu or a special drink of the day. It was a free for all and the bartenders were not any help in suggesting drinks. On that note, we were ignored for 20 minutes each time we got a drink. One time the bartender stuffed a whole pizza in his mouth in front of everyone licking greasy hands and then making drinks.
* They ran out of everything, no mint for mojito's, no absolute vodka. We tried ordering different items at the restaurants and each night they were out of something. The bar didn't have a blender etc... etc... the items they ran out of are endless.
* Service was terrible. Our room service came a bit late and we ran to grab some coffee. He proceeded to yell at us saying he had a lot of other deliveries to make and we inconvenienced him.
* Karaoke machine broke in the very beginning of the night.
* The main pool was very dingy / dirty as were the towels.
* Their was always an hour during the day where nothing was open. We had to go back to our room and order room service twice because their were no other food options.
* The spa was a terrible experience. You pay $240 for a massage. Cover you in oil and the women's area does not have showers or a sauna / steam room. I was dripping in oil while my husband had the luxury of a shower to clean off.
* When you order grilled fish it came fried every single time.
* Our wakeup call called 30 minutes later than requested. We could have missed our flight.
* Golf course was in terrible condition.

Their is more things to write but these are the most important things. The service, food, rooms, pools and resort in general was a far cry from luxury. If I had not spent so much on our trip I would be more understanding. We spent top dollar to have a great experience and feel we wasted our money.

22 Thank 831Laura831
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations, fine dining and superb customer service. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We want to make sure future guests do not have similar feedback and will take action by notifying the appropriate departments of your remarks - including our General Manager. We do request that while on resort you notify us of anything that does not meet your standards. We are always willing to work with you to make sure you walk away feeling like your stay was money well spent.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife recently wrote a review on our amazing honeymoon at Sandals in Exuma.. and she forgot to add the key element to our perfect vacation! Ruth DeMuth from TripGuy Travel is THE travel agent to book with if, especially if you are booking at a Sandals resort. I found Ruth through another couples positive review on Trip Advisor and she was even better than advertised. She was extremely helpful and responsive in helping my wife and I pick the perfect resort for what we were looking for. She also gave us the best honeymoon gift of all and was able to get our room upgraded! Everyone at Sandals Emerald Bay knew “Miss Ruth” and took extra special care of us the entire trip. It’s safe to say that Ruth was a big reason on why we had the perfect honeymoon. We will definitely will be using her for our travel in the future.

Also could not agree more with my wife on the resort itself. Very clean, incredibly friendly staff and loved everything from the second we landed..to the minute we left. We want to go back and relive the entire thing! (Butlers and all.)

Room Tip: Rooms in Bay House 2 were close to everything and at the same time quiet.
4 Thank Jsimon82
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My new husband and I were treated so well from all the sandals crew. Our wedding turned out amazing. Everything was so easy for us and we really enjoyed our week. A huge and special thank you needs to go out to my beautician Vinette, wedding coordinator Danielle, photographers Georgette and Joval, videographer Edward. They are all amazing people and really went above and beyond for us during our stay. Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Emilymms
We're so happy that you had an amazing wedding at Sandals Emerald Bay. Sounds like Vinette, Danielle, Georgette, Joval and Edward all made great impressions during your stay. Our staff is professionally trained to offer the best in service and ensure that your vacation is as seamless and as enjoyable as possible.

We look forward to your return! Next time, we would hope that you have an even better experience.
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I spent several months researching Caribbean resorts for our 30th wedding anniversary, and chose Sandals Emerald Bay - best decision I've ever made! If you want the ultimate adults only, all-inclusive vacation, save yourself a lot of time and effort, and stay here! I guarantee you will not find a better location (beach and water are fantastic), accommodations (rooms and grounds are spectacular), service (excellent), and dining options (exceptional). There really is no tipping or hidden costs. Leave your wallet in the room, because you won't need it for anything except the off-resort excursions, if you choose to do any.

From the moment you arrive, you are swept into the lap of luxury! We were wisked away from the airport in luxury SUV's, greeted in lobby with champagne, and escorted to our beachfront villa by our butler who gave us a cell phone so that he could be reached at any time, for any need (drinks on the beach, room service, reserve pool cabana, whatever)! Our butlers were Dendrick, Meesha, and Tremayne. Special cudos to Tremayne for his eagerness to please, personality, and availability.

With dining options ranging from fine Italian and French restaurants (gents, bring slacks) to casual, "toes in the sand" beachfront dining at "Barefoot by the Sea" (our favorite), breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets at "Bahama Bay", a pizzeria ("Dino's), and an authentic British Pub, "The Drunken Duck", with great burgers, fish & chips, and chicken wings. They have Heineken, Kalik, and Sands Light beers on tap, even Newcastle and Guinness (in bottles)! You could even take every meal in your room at no extra charge if you desire!

Have snacks, drinks, and pizzas delivered to your poolside cabana! Drinks are literally served to you in the pool by a waitress with a floating raft full of drinks! Unlimited top-shelf drinks are not "watered-down" and constantly available. Be sure to try our favorite, the "Dirty Banana" which tastes like a banana milk shake!

Be sure to try some of the off resort excursions. We highly recommend the "Ocean Safari" (snorkel, swim with the pigs, and feed the Iguanas) and "Santana's Tour" which is a taxi tour of the island with stops at the "Tropic of Cancer Beach" (spectacular), and a lobster lunch at "Santana's" - best lobster we have ever eaten, anywhere! It is worth the $5 extra charge! LOL

It is hard for us to believe that there is anyone who could have anything bad to say about SEB. If you read a bad review, ignore it! As you know, there are some people who can always find something to complain about. Trust me, this is truly paradise in the Caribbean!

Tony & Vanessa Burgan
Tempe, AZ

Room Tip: If you can, stay in one of the beachfront villas. Nothing like the sound of the ocean and your own...
14 Thank Tony B
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just got back from SEB last night, and I'm already looking forward to getting back there. It's a beautiful resort. The people there are always smiling and friendly, the grounds are always being worked on to be as beautiful as can be. Our room (9209) had a gorgeous view of the crystal blue water. Can't say enough about our butlers. Samson was the best! We didn't have to do a thing with him as our butler. He knew just what we wanted/needed before we asked. It was our anniversary while we were there and Samson decorated our room beautifully for a wonderful surprise. We were actually very sad to say goodbye to him! The restaurants were nice. Good food.. nothing 5 star, but just fine. Drinks are awesome.. try the dirty banana! We had a couples massage and it was great too. Really the only complaint I would have is that the rooms can be updated. Our room was nice and big, and the bed was very comfy, but the couch was pretty ratty and old and smelled musty, and the furniture wasn't great quality..if everything was updated this place could not be beat. Also,my husband golfed and said the course wasn't in very good shape..Otherwise well worth the money, and I would love to go back! Ask for Samson for your butler and you will not be disappointed!!

4 Thank Stephanie K
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Sandals Emerald Bay
June 27 to July 4
I had the pleasure of staying at Emerald Bay recently, my first visit to a Sandals resort, and what a trip to paradise it was! The flight from the west coast was long, but our American Eagle flight from Miami was uneventful. The pilot appeared to follow the Exuma chain southeastward to Great Exuma. The green islands and white sand beaches were beautiful. We saw the reefs of the Bahama Banks and the deep waters of the “tongue of the ocean” beneath puffy, fair weather clouds. And that turquoise water that pool companies try to copy. WOW.

We were met at the airport by several very friendly Sandals representatives, and made the relatively short trip to the resort by taxi. The taxis I saw were all recent model SUVs. Upon arrival, we were greeted with warm towels to wash with; a smiling butler named Sheldon, and our luggage was spirited away by tricycle to our room. Once we were registered, we walked out to see a huge swimming pool with porpoise fountains and a sculpted firepit in the center of the swimming pool which I later found was lit every evening for a pretty spectacular effect. We then proceeded to walk with Sheldon explaining what buildings we were passing, while I was taking in the beautiful landscaping. Sea Grape was integrated with bougainvillea, Oleander of white, pink and red, along with lipstick flower (Osmanthus) and hibiscus of every color. The coconut palms were being pruned for hurricane season and were loaded with coconuts! The landscapers were obviously very talented and hardworking.

My friend and I requested a quiet, ground floor beachfront location and found our junior suite absolutely perfect and far from the noise/entertainment around the main pool. When we entered the room, we found a chilled bottle of champagne and cheese and crackers arranged for us, a fully stocked bar and refrigerator with soda and beer. On the king size bed was a swan sculpture made of towels and decorated with hibiscus and fronds of ferns. We had an elegant bathroom with two sinks, a glass shower and a very deep soaking tub. The room opened to a small table with two chairs, next to two chaise lounges, and closer to the beach: two of the best designed hammocks I have ever had the pleasure to lie in. It was a short walk (less than 200 feet) to the white sands of the beach and that warm beautiful turquoise water. Emerald Bay is dominated by a white sand bottom and a very gentle drop-off. It was rare to see any seaweed (we saw floating bits of Saragossa weed and bits of eelgrass only) and that was only during windy days.

So began our 7-day vacation. Our goals:
· Swim in the ocean in front of our room
· Scuba dive every day it was offered
· Sail on the Hobicats
· Read
· Walk on the beach and 3 mile oceanfront jogging path
· Watch the laughing gulls stalk the food, catch hermit crabs and just slow down!
· Oh, and enjoy the food and drink

Because we arrived mid-day on a Thursday, regulations stated that we could not dive until Saturday morning. No problem! On Friday, we swam in ocean and hung out at the beach in our lovely tent / cabana – even ordered breakfast in bed. What a treat. We were introduced to the first of our housekeepers, Olive, who was very sweet to us. Her replacement was Felicia, from Exuma, and Doritta from Florida, and one other (I think it was Camilla?) from a nearby Long Island. We were most impressed with their smiles, their intelligence, and helpfulness and the care they took with our room. The supervisor of housekeeping, Etta Jane, also came by, and we were utterly charmed by her. She is from Abaco and was kind enough to introduce me to the native plants nearby our room. I felt I had met a kindred spirit. The day after we met Etta, we found flower arrangements in our room along with a note from her. Such genuine hospitality!

Each day, our excellent butlers (Sheldon, Valentino, and Adam) kept track of us via our ‘butler phone’. Each was polite to a fault, and very thoughtful. Sheldon, when he brought ice to the room, said he had a little task to finish before he left. We walked out to the beach, and an hour later found the tub full of bubbles and flowers! ‘Good morning’ was spelled out in red flowers (Osmanthus) on our welcome mat one morning. And another towel and flower sculpture was on the bed another day. I am not certain the butlers did it all, but the effort was appreciated.

My companion was already a certified PADI diver but I decided to dive in (bad pun) and took the Discover Scuba Diving course on Saturday. What a great group of dive masters – many jokes, much laughter, but I was impressed with their care for safety. Claude and Gary were our dive masters. The first mate, Lennox, was a lot of fun too. While my friend was out with the certified divers, Claude gave us a two hour course that focused on safety and how to use the equipment. At 11:30 we beginners boarded the dive boat with all the advance divers and were set up to dive! Our first dive was to a depth of 25-30 feet on Sandals reef. It was a wonderful experience, but too short! We stayed under water for about 30 minutes, and saw many fish and corals. Unfortunately, no one had a chart or book to let us learn the names of the fish and coral. I found that odd. They explained that those had not yet been replaced. Too bad, but this resort is on an out-island – you cannot expect everything you get in the city!

I had a goal to visit another island nearby that the Island Routes group showed in its pamphlet. The cost was $115 for a two and a half-hour tour to Stocking Island. Unfortunately, they could not find the required number of travelers, so it looked as if I couldn’t go. Femeril (I wish I remembered his name) and Charisma recommended I rent a car ($74/day) and drive to Georgetown, take the ‘ferry’ to Stocking Island for $12. I followed their recommendation and had a blast driving on the left side of the road and chatting up the “ferry” captain, Vernon Rolle, and his very colorful first mate, Wade, while we toured Stocking harbor and the Chat and Chill restaurant and beach bar.

We ate at all of the restaurants at the Sandals and paid numerous visits to Café de Paris for lattes, treats and ice cream (we ARE from Seattle – we love our coffee!). The servers at Café Paris varied in their hospitality, but by and large they were very sweet as were the bakery items: Most memorable was the Hello Dolly Tart!!

An interesting note about dining: when we asked our server for their suggestions as to what to order, it was without exception very good. When we sort of guessed at whatever we were in the mood for, it was just ‘average’. Example: Kim at Bahama Bay recommended the coconut shrimp appetizer, conch salad and shrimp curry and all were fantastic as was Kim! Other highlights were Bradi’s suggestions of Toscana soup with Italian sausage and grilled grouper at Il Cielo, chicken stuffed with spinach at the pub, spinach and goat cheese salad at the French restaurant, pulled pork sandwich for lunch and pan fried snapper in lemon caper sauce for dinner at Barefoot by the Sea. All server recommendations and all excellent. On the other hand my choice of “fresh tomato somethingorother with pasta” at the pizzeria was just okay and a steak and ahi combo at La Parisenne was a bit over powered with a rich caper sauce.
Breakfast at either Il Cielo or the buffet at Bahama Bay. Both served standard full breakfasts that were tasty, with strong coffee, loads of fresh fruit, waffle/pancakes, eggs, toast, and breakfast meats and fish.

Entertainment was missing some evenings, but the singer (Paradise Melodies) on Sunday was amazingly lyrical, and the saxophone player the following night was also very good! Piano bar music quality in Il Cielo varied by whether the guests were suitably lubricated, but the gentleman playing piano was very kind and inclusive. Talented too!

We swam in the large pool a few times and ordered drinks from the swim up bar (after all, we just don’t get to do that in Seattle). Very nice lemonade - made on the spot, and made even nicer with tequila and lime! Our interaction with the servers at the quiet pool were more frequent, and I wish I remembered the young ladies name who was the bartender there (Cerise?). Great gal! Jay (or Jonathan) was very helpful and took care of us at both pool areas. Ruthlynn at Il Cielo was exceptionally hospitable and professional and the bartender at the piano bar was awesome and made a mean martini.

At the end of our visit, we were discussing our butlers and felt we had three “winners”. Each had a different personality and approach to service but all three were dedicated to putting the Wow factor into our Sandals vacation. Each and every day there was a special treat or little surprise that put a smile on our faces and when we needed something simple or more complicated our butler was just a phone call away and dedicated to our enjoyment. So thank you to Sheldon, Valentino and Adam! You are all supreme professionals and put the guest first every day and in every way. We appreciate you!!

P.S. If you’re like me and wouldn’t know how to choose one Sandals Resort from another you may want to give Totem Travel a call. Their agents are all Sandals Specialists and have been to all the resorts so they really know their stuff. Turquoise water and a beachfront room were important to me but they also helped with the little details that matter like a quiet room location. Same cost as doing it myself too.

Val Kelly

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main pool are far more peaceful. Ground floor rooms on the beach are akin to hav...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends