“Best Travel Agent Around”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Great Exuma
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Best Travel Agent Around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife recently wrote a review on our amazing honeymoon at Sandals in Exuma.. and she forgot to add the key element to our perfect vacation! Ruth DeMuth from TripGuy Travel is THE travel agent to book with if, especially if you are booking at a Sandals resort. I found Ruth through another couples positive review on Trip Advisor and she was even better than advertised. She was extremely helpful and responsive in helping my wife and I pick the perfect resort for what we were looking for. She also gave us the best honeymoon gift of all and was able to get our room upgraded! Everyone at Sandals Emerald Bay knew “Miss Ruth” and took extra special care of us the entire trip. It’s safe to say that Ruth was a big reason on why we had the perfect honeymoon. We will definitely will be using her for our travel in the future.

Also could not agree more with my wife on the resort itself. Very clean, incredibly friendly staff and loved everything from the second we landed..to the minute we left. We want to go back and relive the entire thing! (Butlers and all.)

Room Tip: Rooms in Bay House 2 were close to everything and at the same time quiet.
4 Thank Jsimon82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,228)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My new husband and I were treated so well from all the sandals crew. Our wedding turned out amazing. Everything was so easy for us and we really enjoyed our week. A huge and special thank you needs to go out to my beautician Vinette, wedding coordinator Danielle, photographers Georgette and Joval, videographer Edward. They are all amazing people and really went above and beyond for us during our stay. Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Emilymms
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We're so happy that you had an amazing wedding at Sandals Emerald Bay. Sounds like Vinette, Danielle, Georgette, Joval and Edward all made great impressions during your stay. Our staff is professionally trained to offer the best in service and ensure that your vacation is as seamless and as enjoyable as possible.

We look forward to your return! Next time, we would hope that you have an even better experience.
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I spent several months researching Caribbean resorts for our 30th wedding anniversary, and chose Sandals Emerald Bay - best decision I've ever made! If you want the ultimate adults only, all-inclusive vacation, save yourself a lot of time and effort, and stay here! I guarantee you will not find a better location (beach and water are fantastic), accommodations (rooms and grounds are spectacular), service (excellent), and dining options (exceptional). There really is no tipping or hidden costs. Leave your wallet in the room, because you won't need it for anything except the off-resort excursions, if you choose to do any.

From the moment you arrive, you are swept into the lap of luxury! We were wisked away from the airport in luxury SUV's, greeted in lobby with champagne, and escorted to our beachfront villa by our butler who gave us a cell phone so that he could be reached at any time, for any need (drinks on the beach, room service, reserve pool cabana, whatever)! Our butlers were Dendrick, Meesha, and Tremayne. Special cudos to Tremayne for his eagerness to please, personality, and availability.

With dining options ranging from fine Italian and French restaurants (gents, bring slacks) to casual, "toes in the sand" beachfront dining at "Barefoot by the Sea" (our favorite), breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets at "Bahama Bay", a pizzeria ("Dino's), and an authentic British Pub, "The Drunken Duck", with great burgers, fish & chips, and chicken wings. They have Heineken, Kalik, and Sands Light beers on tap, even Newcastle and Guinness (in bottles)! You could even take every meal in your room at no extra charge if you desire!

Have snacks, drinks, and pizzas delivered to your poolside cabana! Drinks are literally served to you in the pool by a waitress with a floating raft full of drinks! Unlimited top-shelf drinks are not "watered-down" and constantly available. Be sure to try our favorite, the "Dirty Banana" which tastes like a banana milk shake!

Be sure to try some of the off resort excursions. We highly recommend the "Ocean Safari" (snorkel, swim with the pigs, and feed the Iguanas) and "Santana's Tour" which is a taxi tour of the island with stops at the "Tropic of Cancer Beach" (spectacular), and a lobster lunch at "Santana's" - best lobster we have ever eaten, anywhere! It is worth the $5 extra charge! LOL

It is hard for us to believe that there is anyone who could have anything bad to say about SEB. If you read a bad review, ignore it! As you know, there are some people who can always find something to complain about. Trust me, this is truly paradise in the Caribbean!

Tony & Vanessa Burgan
Tempe, AZ

Room Tip: If you can, stay in one of the beachfront villas. Nothing like the sound of the ocean and your own...
14 Thank Tony B
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just got back from SEB last night, and I'm already looking forward to getting back there. It's a beautiful resort. The people there are always smiling and friendly, the grounds are always being worked on to be as beautiful as can be. Our room (9209) had a gorgeous view of the crystal blue water. Can't say enough about our butlers. Samson was the best! We didn't have to do a thing with him as our butler. He knew just what we wanted/needed before we asked. It was our anniversary while we were there and Samson decorated our room beautifully for a wonderful surprise. We were actually very sad to say goodbye to him! The restaurants were nice. Good food.. nothing 5 star, but just fine. Drinks are awesome.. try the dirty banana! We had a couples massage and it was great too. Really the only complaint I would have is that the rooms can be updated. Our room was nice and big, and the bed was very comfy, but the couch was pretty ratty and old and smelled musty, and the furniture wasn't great quality..if everything was updated this place could not be beat. Also,my husband golfed and said the course wasn't in very good shape..Otherwise well worth the money, and I would love to go back! Ask for Samson for your butler and you will not be disappointed!!

4 Thank Stephanie K
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Sandals Emerald Bay
June 27 to July 4
I had the pleasure of staying at Emerald Bay recently, my first visit to a Sandals resort, and what a trip to paradise it was! The flight from the west coast was long, but our American Eagle flight from Miami was uneventful. The pilot appeared to follow the Exuma chain southeastward to Great Exuma. The green islands and white sand beaches were beautiful. We saw the reefs of the Bahama Banks and the deep waters of the “tongue of the ocean” beneath puffy, fair weather clouds. And that turquoise water that pool companies try to copy. WOW.

We were met at the airport by several very friendly Sandals representatives, and made the relatively short trip to the resort by taxi. The taxis I saw were all recent model SUVs. Upon arrival, we were greeted with warm towels to wash with; a smiling butler named Sheldon, and our luggage was spirited away by tricycle to our room. Once we were registered, we walked out to see a huge swimming pool with porpoise fountains and a sculpted firepit in the center of the swimming pool which I later found was lit every evening for a pretty spectacular effect. We then proceeded to walk with Sheldon explaining what buildings we were passing, while I was taking in the beautiful landscaping. Sea Grape was integrated with bougainvillea, Oleander of white, pink and red, along with lipstick flower (Osmanthus) and hibiscus of every color. The coconut palms were being pruned for hurricane season and were loaded with coconuts! The landscapers were obviously very talented and hardworking.

My friend and I requested a quiet, ground floor beachfront location and found our junior suite absolutely perfect and far from the noise/entertainment around the main pool. When we entered the room, we found a chilled bottle of champagne and cheese and crackers arranged for us, a fully stocked bar and refrigerator with soda and beer. On the king size bed was a swan sculpture made of towels and decorated with hibiscus and fronds of ferns. We had an elegant bathroom with two sinks, a glass shower and a very deep soaking tub. The room opened to a small table with two chairs, next to two chaise lounges, and closer to the beach: two of the best designed hammocks I have ever had the pleasure to lie in. It was a short walk (less than 200 feet) to the white sands of the beach and that warm beautiful turquoise water. Emerald Bay is dominated by a white sand bottom and a very gentle drop-off. It was rare to see any seaweed (we saw floating bits of Saragossa weed and bits of eelgrass only) and that was only during windy days.

So began our 7-day vacation. Our goals:
· Swim in the ocean in front of our room
· Scuba dive every day it was offered
· Sail on the Hobicats
· Read
· Walk on the beach and 3 mile oceanfront jogging path
· Watch the laughing gulls stalk the food, catch hermit crabs and just slow down!
· Oh, and enjoy the food and drink

Because we arrived mid-day on a Thursday, regulations stated that we could not dive until Saturday morning. No problem! On Friday, we swam in ocean and hung out at the beach in our lovely tent / cabana – even ordered breakfast in bed. What a treat. We were introduced to the first of our housekeepers, Olive, who was very sweet to us. Her replacement was Felicia, from Exuma, and Doritta from Florida, and one other (I think it was Camilla?) from a nearby Long Island. We were most impressed with their smiles, their intelligence, and helpfulness and the care they took with our room. The supervisor of housekeeping, Etta Jane, also came by, and we were utterly charmed by her. She is from Abaco and was kind enough to introduce me to the native plants nearby our room. I felt I had met a kindred spirit. The day after we met Etta, we found flower arrangements in our room along with a note from her. Such genuine hospitality!

Each day, our excellent butlers (Sheldon, Valentino, and Adam) kept track of us via our ‘butler phone’. Each was polite to a fault, and very thoughtful. Sheldon, when he brought ice to the room, said he had a little task to finish before he left. We walked out to the beach, and an hour later found the tub full of bubbles and flowers! ‘Good morning’ was spelled out in red flowers (Osmanthus) on our welcome mat one morning. And another towel and flower sculpture was on the bed another day. I am not certain the butlers did it all, but the effort was appreciated.

My companion was already a certified PADI diver but I decided to dive in (bad pun) and took the Discover Scuba Diving course on Saturday. What a great group of dive masters – many jokes, much laughter, but I was impressed with their care for safety. Claude and Gary were our dive masters. The first mate, Lennox, was a lot of fun too. While my friend was out with the certified divers, Claude gave us a two hour course that focused on safety and how to use the equipment. At 11:30 we beginners boarded the dive boat with all the advance divers and were set up to dive! Our first dive was to a depth of 25-30 feet on Sandals reef. It was a wonderful experience, but too short! We stayed under water for about 30 minutes, and saw many fish and corals. Unfortunately, no one had a chart or book to let us learn the names of the fish and coral. I found that odd. They explained that those had not yet been replaced. Too bad, but this resort is on an out-island – you cannot expect everything you get in the city!

I had a goal to visit another island nearby that the Island Routes group showed in its pamphlet. The cost was $115 for a two and a half-hour tour to Stocking Island. Unfortunately, they could not find the required number of travelers, so it looked as if I couldn’t go. Femeril (I wish I remembered his name) and Charisma recommended I rent a car ($74/day) and drive to Georgetown, take the ‘ferry’ to Stocking Island for $12. I followed their recommendation and had a blast driving on the left side of the road and chatting up the “ferry” captain, Vernon Rolle, and his very colorful first mate, Wade, while we toured Stocking harbor and the Chat and Chill restaurant and beach bar.

We ate at all of the restaurants at the Sandals and paid numerous visits to Café de Paris for lattes, treats and ice cream (we ARE from Seattle – we love our coffee!). The servers at Café Paris varied in their hospitality, but by and large they were very sweet as were the bakery items: Most memorable was the Hello Dolly Tart!!

An interesting note about dining: when we asked our server for their suggestions as to what to order, it was without exception very good. When we sort of guessed at whatever we were in the mood for, it was just ‘average’. Example: Kim at Bahama Bay recommended the coconut shrimp appetizer, conch salad and shrimp curry and all were fantastic as was Kim! Other highlights were Bradi’s suggestions of Toscana soup with Italian sausage and grilled grouper at Il Cielo, chicken stuffed with spinach at the pub, spinach and goat cheese salad at the French restaurant, pulled pork sandwich for lunch and pan fried snapper in lemon caper sauce for dinner at Barefoot by the Sea. All server recommendations and all excellent. On the other hand my choice of “fresh tomato somethingorother with pasta” at the pizzeria was just okay and a steak and ahi combo at La Parisenne was a bit over powered with a rich caper sauce.
Breakfast at either Il Cielo or the buffet at Bahama Bay. Both served standard full breakfasts that were tasty, with strong coffee, loads of fresh fruit, waffle/pancakes, eggs, toast, and breakfast meats and fish.

Entertainment was missing some evenings, but the singer (Paradise Melodies) on Sunday was amazingly lyrical, and the saxophone player the following night was also very good! Piano bar music quality in Il Cielo varied by whether the guests were suitably lubricated, but the gentleman playing piano was very kind and inclusive. Talented too!

We swam in the large pool a few times and ordered drinks from the swim up bar (after all, we just don’t get to do that in Seattle). Very nice lemonade - made on the spot, and made even nicer with tequila and lime! Our interaction with the servers at the quiet pool were more frequent, and I wish I remembered the young ladies name who was the bartender there (Cerise?). Great gal! Jay (or Jonathan) was very helpful and took care of us at both pool areas. Ruthlynn at Il Cielo was exceptionally hospitable and professional and the bartender at the piano bar was awesome and made a mean martini.

At the end of our visit, we were discussing our butlers and felt we had three “winners”. Each had a different personality and approach to service but all three were dedicated to putting the Wow factor into our Sandals vacation. Each and every day there was a special treat or little surprise that put a smile on our faces and when we needed something simple or more complicated our butler was just a phone call away and dedicated to our enjoyment. So thank you to Sheldon, Valentino and Adam! You are all supreme professionals and put the guest first every day and in every way. We appreciate you!!

P.S. If you’re like me and wouldn’t know how to choose one Sandals Resort from another you may want to give Totem Travel a call. Their agents are all Sandals Specialists and have been to all the resorts so they really know their stuff. Turquoise water and a beachfront room were important to me but they also helped with the little details that matter like a quiet room location. Same cost as doing it myself too.

Val Kelly

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main pool are far more peaceful. Ground floor rooms on the beach are akin to hav...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Val K
West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was our 3rd trip to Sandals Emerald Bay and once again we were so pleased with everything! We love the property, the staff and the amenities. The pool, the beach and the golf course are all top shelf and well maintained. You can go sailing, take a tennis lesson or just relax to the max!! Our butlers, Dion, Samson and Hilton were fab and made everything easy. We love this place and would recommend this place to everyone!

3 Thank Sunrise6861
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

This visit was our second visit to Sandals Emerald Bay. We have established the baseline on our first visit and were now able to compare the two visit that spanned 2 years apart.
Our first visit was a bit rocky and we did not enjoy it as much. This second visit was totally the opposite. Jeremy Mutton, the GM for this resort, and his team had done a tremendously great job to turn it around. So, if you have been to this resort a few years ago, we highly recommend you to give it a second look. Like us, you will be very pleased.

Without further ado, here is the list of great things about this resort:
BEACH: semi private beach. The wind keeps it breezy and it is quite pleasant in the afternoon. The water is clear and in the various shades of turquoise and emerald; waves make it very playful. We parked ourselves on the beach from dusk til dawn on daily basis. Staff members often floated around to offer cocktails, fruits, snacks. For beach bums like us, it was heaven on earth. By 9AM during the week that we stayed, there were enough seats on the beach for guests looking for some. Beach cabanas however, would be harder to come by at that time.
ROOM and HOUSEKEEPING: perfect view to the water or garden from almost every room. I believe that almost every room has a balcony overlooking the ocean or garden. Generously sized, it's a perfect place to read the book with the ocean waves as a background noise. Depending on the location of the room, you may even be able to catch the nightly music entertainment. The room we stayed at has a separate shower stall and a soaking tub. Our fridge was fully stocked daily. Our housekeeper even brought a book of match when she noticed dear husband's cigar butts. I was about to call to ask for additional shampoo, when several tubes materialized the next time the housekeeping service came.
CONCIERGE: During our first visit, we weren't very thrilled with the concierge department. This time around, our concierge/front desk liaison, Carla, has known us from the time we stepped into the resort all the way until we left. She never once failed to greet us by our names, and she was tremendously helpful in making restaurant reservation. Even when the restaurants were full, she and her team never once came back with any rejections.
SERVICES: We have to say that almost every staff member at this resort has been a delight. We were pleasantly surprised and we can only account this to the management team of the resort. Every staff member genuinely had been more attentive this time around; they really gave it their best effort to try above and beyond to meet guests' requests. Services were delivered in a more punctual manner and with smiles. We never had to wait for a long time to be served at any of the restaurants.
FOOD: Our favorite was La Parisienne (French) and Barefoot by the Sea. During our first visit, it was impossible to enjoy meals at Barefoot by the Sea due to the nuisance of flies. They would be the first to enjoy our food, and by the time it was our turn, we have lost our appetites. It's a totally different experience this time around. The flies were barely there!!!!!! Hooray... We were able to enjoy our favorite dishes at Barefoot by the Sea. For lunch, they served fried calamari, crabcake, salad, burgers, sandwiches and our favorite... grouper finger! And oh... The services were speedy and friendly. We found ourselves spending more time here at Barefoot for lunch than Bahama Bay. La Parisienne was our favorite for dinner. You can't beat the grilled New Zealand lamb, duck and fillet mignon. Their seafood bisque is to die for and the list of their appetizer... yumm... Our advise is to try every single one of them! The first time we had it, we were a bit confused. Hmm... an almost empty bowl made its appearance and wait didn't we order soup? The waiter/waitresses later poured this aromatic, comforting bisque into the bowl. And then... all is well. Il Cielo (the Italian) didn't have a lot to entice our appetite. The best dish is their grouper. It was cooked to perfection... Bahama Bay was a hit or miss (mostly miss for lunch). Dinner was great as well. Some dishes were spicier than our spicy gauge could handle. Nonetheless, their dinner menu was excellent. Drunken Duck, sadly, we didn't have a chance to go for lunch. Their menu seems to be typical pub fare menu. We did not have one bad meal ever during this visit.
SPA: Unfortunately, their legendary steam rooms have been renovated. But if you are looking for a quieter place to unwind or to even enjoy your cup of coffee/tea, please don't look further then the spa's garden. What a slice of heaven and perhaps a best kept secret in the resort. Nobody seems to notice that there exist a hot and a cold tubs here. The services at the spa was excellent. We treated ourselves several times during our stay this time around.
RETURN GUESTS DINNER: This was a don't miss show. In addition to meeting several management team members, most of the the management team members participated in the "serving the guests" show. We loved to see the connection/interaction between the management and staff members. It was easy to translate that such connection was the primary reason contributing to the success of the resort. And hey... Appleton Rum is BACK!!!!

All in all, we were glad that we came back and had a blast at Sandals Emerald Bay. Our goal was to be able to relax, pampered, enjoyed great dining, participated in some water sport activities at the luxurious All Inclusive Sandals Emerald Bay, and mission was accomplished. From the time we arrived, to the time we depart, it had been a continuous hassle free, relaxing experience; one that we highly recommend for others who have been or never been to this resort.
Which makes it extremely hard for us to list the downside of the resort, but we are hoping that Corporate would research further to address this: the diving opportunity. We understand that weather and location are the primary challenges. As a first step, we would like to recommend separation of the non-experienced and experienced guests divers to ensure that all guests enjoy the diving activity to the maximum. If you don't dive, this won't even be an issue. My husband dives, so he was a bit disappointed at the limited opportunity while we were there. It didn't damper his enthusiasm for the resort. However, he will certainly not blink an eye at the opportunity to come back to this resort and being able to dive to his heart's content.

Room Tip: Bay House 2
4 Thank mar1an1
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sandals Emerald Bay. We're so happy that we were able to make your second truly incredible. We were able to not only meet your expectations but exceed them as well and we're so proud to hear your kind comments.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another amazing vacation experience in the near future!

Cassie C.