“Pure Bliss.....”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
New York
“Pure Bliss.....”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This visit was our second visit to Sandals Emerald Bay. We have established the baseline on our first visit and were now able to compare the two visit that spanned 2 years apart.
Our first visit was a bit rocky and we did not enjoy it as much. This second visit was totally the opposite. Jeremy Mutton, the GM for this resort, and his team had done a tremendously great job to turn it around. So, if you have been to this resort a few years ago, we highly recommend you to give it a second look. Like us, you will be very pleased.

Without further ado, here is the list of great things about this resort:
BEACH: semi private beach. The wind keeps it breezy and it is quite pleasant in the afternoon. The water is clear and in the various shades of turquoise and emerald; waves make it very playful. We parked ourselves on the beach from dusk til dawn on daily basis. Staff members often floated around to offer cocktails, fruits, snacks. For beach bums like us, it was heaven on earth. By 9AM during the week that we stayed, there were enough seats on the beach for guests looking for some. Beach cabanas however, would be harder to come by at that time.
ROOM and HOUSEKEEPING: perfect view to the water or garden from almost every room. I believe that almost every room has a balcony overlooking the ocean or garden. Generously sized, it's a perfect place to read the book with the ocean waves as a background noise. Depending on the location of the room, you may even be able to catch the nightly music entertainment. The room we stayed at has a separate shower stall and a soaking tub. Our fridge was fully stocked daily. Our housekeeper even brought a book of match when she noticed dear husband's cigar butts. I was about to call to ask for additional shampoo, when several tubes materialized the next time the housekeeping service came.
CONCIERGE: During our first visit, we weren't very thrilled with the concierge department. This time around, our concierge/front desk liaison, Carla, has known us from the time we stepped into the resort all the way until we left. She never once failed to greet us by our names, and she was tremendously helpful in making restaurant reservation. Even when the restaurants were full, she and her team never once came back with any rejections.
SERVICES: We have to say that almost every staff member at this resort has been a delight. We were pleasantly surprised and we can only account this to the management team of the resort. Every staff member genuinely had been more attentive this time around; they really gave it their best effort to try above and beyond to meet guests' requests. Services were delivered in a more punctual manner and with smiles. We never had to wait for a long time to be served at any of the restaurants.
FOOD: Our favorite was La Parisienne (French) and Barefoot by the Sea. During our first visit, it was impossible to enjoy meals at Barefoot by the Sea due to the nuisance of flies. They would be the first to enjoy our food, and by the time it was our turn, we have lost our appetites. It's a totally different experience this time around. The flies were barely there!!!!!! Hooray... We were able to enjoy our favorite dishes at Barefoot by the Sea. For lunch, they served fried calamari, crabcake, salad, burgers, sandwiches and our favorite... grouper finger! And oh... The services were speedy and friendly. We found ourselves spending more time here at Barefoot for lunch than Bahama Bay. La Parisienne was our favorite for dinner. You can't beat the grilled New Zealand lamb, duck and fillet mignon. Their seafood bisque is to die for and the list of their appetizer... yumm... Our advise is to try every single one of them! The first time we had it, we were a bit confused. Hmm... an almost empty bowl made its appearance and wait didn't we order soup? The waiter/waitresses later poured this aromatic, comforting bisque into the bowl. And then... all is well. Il Cielo (the Italian) didn't have a lot to entice our appetite. The best dish is their grouper. It was cooked to perfection... Bahama Bay was a hit or miss (mostly miss for lunch). Dinner was great as well. Some dishes were spicier than our spicy gauge could handle. Nonetheless, their dinner menu was excellent. Drunken Duck, sadly, we didn't have a chance to go for lunch. Their menu seems to be typical pub fare menu. We did not have one bad meal ever during this visit.
SPA: Unfortunately, their legendary steam rooms have been renovated. But if you are looking for a quieter place to unwind or to even enjoy your cup of coffee/tea, please don't look further then the spa's garden. What a slice of heaven and perhaps a best kept secret in the resort. Nobody seems to notice that there exist a hot and a cold tubs here. The services at the spa was excellent. We treated ourselves several times during our stay this time around.
RETURN GUESTS DINNER: This was a don't miss show. In addition to meeting several management team members, most of the the management team members participated in the "serving the guests" show. We loved to see the connection/interaction between the management and staff members. It was easy to translate that such connection was the primary reason contributing to the success of the resort. And hey... Appleton Rum is BACK!!!!

All in all, we were glad that we came back and had a blast at Sandals Emerald Bay. Our goal was to be able to relax, pampered, enjoyed great dining, participated in some water sport activities at the luxurious All Inclusive Sandals Emerald Bay, and mission was accomplished. From the time we arrived, to the time we depart, it had been a continuous hassle free, relaxing experience; one that we highly recommend for others who have been or never been to this resort.
Which makes it extremely hard for us to list the downside of the resort, but we are hoping that Corporate would research further to address this: the diving opportunity. We understand that weather and location are the primary challenges. As a first step, we would like to recommend separation of the non-experienced and experienced guests divers to ensure that all guests enjoy the diving activity to the maximum. If you don't dive, this won't even be an issue. My husband dives, so he was a bit disappointed at the limited opportunity while we were there. It didn't damper his enthusiasm for the resort. However, he will certainly not blink an eye at the opportunity to come back to this resort and being able to dive to his heart's content.

Room Tip: Bay House 2
5 Thank mar1an1
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sandals Emerald Bay. We're so happy that we were able to make your second truly incredible. We were able to not only meet your expectations but exceed them as well and we're so proud to hear your kind comments.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another amazing vacation experience in the near future!

Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,251)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sandals Emerald Bay. I researched many hotels and thought this one was one of the nicest all-inclusives I had seen. The pictures were amazing, and it had excellent reviews. But, I was still nervous it wouldn't be as nice as everything showed. There was no need to be nervous! The property is amazing. It is very well maintained and on a beautiful stretch of white sand and crystal clear waters. The people were friendly from the moment we arrived. We rarely saw anyone without a smile on their face and greeting us as we walked by. We chose to stay in one of the beach front villas and I am so glad we did! I wouldn't have had it any other way, and would have been wishing I had if we didn't. These villas are beautiful and the views are breathtaking. Our villa was right by the pools and restaurants so it was very convenient. And you HAVE to get the butler service (which all the villas provide). I highly recommend our three, Vaughn, Deepak, and Bernard. They happily accommodated our requests and surprised us every day with things we had not asked for, such as snacks during the day, a warm, beautiful bath with champagne, and towel designs on the bed.

The restaurants were great as well. I was nervous that the food wouldn't be of the highest quality because it was an all inclusive, but the food at every restaurant was wonderful! Just make sure you bring proper attire for the two nicer ones. The men have to wear pants and dress shoes. My husband only brought sneakers and flip flops, but luckily we had the butler to talk with the manager and escort us in, so there was no problem, but I overheard another guest that was turned away because they didn't have proper attire.

The activities at the resort were fun as well! We had a couples massage at the spa, which was very relaxing! The spa is beautiful and the staff was so nice! At night they had a Bahamian celebration with a buffet of food and various performers. They had karaoke night, and various performers outside the pub on the others. During the day one day we played golf. The back nine of the course has breathtaking views! The only complaint was that the greens were in pretty bad shape. Maybe it is just because it was in the heat of summer?

I saw the negative reviews and experienced none of the things they said! I could not imagine anyone going and having any major complaints. We loved it and would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We loved the location of our villa. It was right by the main property. It was the Emerald Bay Hone...
4 Thank BreaRod
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 9, 2013

First of all, I read all the reviews good, bad and ugly before we went. After spending a week at Emerald Bay I decided that the people who wrote the negative reviews either went when it was probably their busy season or just don't know how to relax and live on island time for a week.

The staff that work there are so nice and pleasant. The staff at the bars and the water sports definitely enjoy their jobs. They were always smiling, joking, and having so much fun with the guests. They were very helpful when it came to teaching us and other guests how to wind surf, sail etc. You could tell that these were things they really enjoyed doing.

We had a concierge room. We had a beautiful ocean view (It looked like every room had an ocean view).Our fridge was always stocked with beverages and water and they refilled it daily. The rooms were very clean, a little on the small side, but who goes to The Bahamas and spends a bunch of time in their hotel room?

We ate at all of the restaurants except the frech restaurant, only because the menu didn't appeal to us as much as the others and we would rather eat at the places that did. The food was excellent! Conch is now my new favorite food, although I don't think I'll find any in the states! Conch fritters were excellent! We ate at the pizza place once- it's pizza nothing special. The italian place was my favorite along with the barefoot restaurant (its in the sand so you can go barefoot. My only regret was not eating dinner there more than once. The reason we didn't was because it didn't open for dinner until 8pm. The Bahama Bay restaurant was another favorite, although don't go for the buffet dinner on Saturday night- go eat some place there are better options.

We had no problem making/getting reservations at the restaurants that required them. We had a $100 spa credit through our travel agency so we decided to get a couples massage. I definitely recommend having some sort of spa service. Its so relaxing! I road along with my husband as he played golf. If you are going to play 9 holes- definitely the back 9 thats where all the gorgeous ocean views are. The greens were in ok shape but the roughs were not in good condition. They were doing a lot of maintenance on it, but my husband definitely enjoyed playing some golf.

We ordered room service for breakfast and it was delicious! They came right at the time that we had scheduled them to. We also ordered room service for dessert a few times- Chocolate Torte was amazing if you love chocolate!

The beach was perfect- we did go during the slow season so it wasn't very crowded. I had read a review that someone said in order to get a cabana on the beach you needed to go early to reserve it. This was great advice, although towards the end of our trip it proved unnecessary since there weren't as many people there anymore. My husband would get up around 7 am and go reserve us a spot and then we were golden for the beach!

There are so many positive things to say about our trip. I really can't think of anything that was negative about it- the first morning however we were woken up at 7am by a fire alarm but it was quickly turned off. The weather was beautiful. Ocean was gorgeous and it was fun swimming around (no fish that I saw, but a bit of seaweed)

I don't think I would go back to this resort again, just because there are other islands in the Carribean that I would like to visit, but I definitely would recommend this island/resort.
Oh and we went July1-7.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RMWille
Charlotte
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our honeymoon to the Sandals in Emerald Bay... Was absolute perfection. I rarely write reviews on trips but this was so unbelievable we had to.

My husband reviewed a bunch of places and the most important thing was the beach. We had been to nice beaches with pretty water but it was sandy.. Or there were a lot of rocks. Not here.. The color of the water was unlike any blue and the sand was so soft no matter how far you swam out. We honestly only spent a few days at the beach because we found the resort pool to be so awesome. It was a tad windy on the beach.. But you're gonna get that when you travel during hurricane season.

From arrival at the airport... We were made to feel special. The airport is close to the resort and that is awesome because you aren't in a car for forever. Sandals takes care of you from the second you step off the plane to literally...the second you leave.

My awesome husband surprised me with BUTLER service.. Which I can say... Made. The. Trip. To say I loved our team of butlers... Is an understatement. We had THE dream team of butlers. I don't know if anyone else had as awesome of a team but... I literally cried when I left. (Not... Embarrassingly... But yes, I shed a tear). Vaughn greeted us and showed us around and it somehow only got better. If you can afford the butler service... Get it. Just a quick call on your Butler phone ( yes.. A butler phone) to give them a heads up. They set up areas for you before you even get there.. If you forget something.. They get it for you. I will say that those who did not have butlers probably didn't get first access to tented cabanas at the beach or the pool. Getting chairs would have been a little more challenging had we not had them. Also...They would bring you snacks and drinks..throughout the day. I gained 5 lbs from them butlers.. Jk.

Our dream team consisted of Vaughn- who is infectiously awesome, Bernard- who is probably the coolest butler there might be... And Deepak- who is the sweetest man I have met to date. Yes, they are obviously on their best behavior and are there to serve you.. But you can just tell these are sweet guys. Get this dream team!!!

Our room was amazing. It was a one bedroom (which was separate) walk out (which I was also surprised with from mu hubby). Almost every night one of our butlers had a bubble bath, with champagne set up. We were in bay house #2 and it was the perfect location. I'm sure there isn't a bad spot to be but we were close to the pool.. The Drunken Duck and had good beach access.

The food was awesome! Definitely try each restaurant. My favorite was the barefoot by the sea.. Where you can literally take off your flip flops and sink your feet in the sand. I'm sure the menu will change but get the grouper burger!! And the conch chowder! We went to every restaurant.. There are a few fancy ones.. The French ( try the escargots. Trust). The Italian- my husband had the salmon which was "out of bounds".

We unfortunately didn't get to snorkel.. Which was the one thing I wanted to do- due to the wind. I think about half the trip all water sports were cancelled which was annoying.. But we just went to the pool and hung out at the swim up bar. If you are going to try to do water sports, do them early in the week.. Bc that way if it doesn't work out you will have more time to get that in.

I have been told that the sandals in Jamaica there is more to do- in terms of excursions... But if all you want to do us relax..soak in the sun - come to this sandals. This beach, the staff.. Everyone is amazing.

This might sound like common sense but take a lot of pictures on your own. They have photographers that you can book a free shoot with.. Which only takes like 20 minutes. And it was fun. But the pics cost...A lot. When you wanna buy the pics. You get a free 5X7 picture if you do the photo shoot so that alone was worth it. We did end up buying some (11 to be exact).. And it ended up costing...over a hundred. We got the high res images on a CD and the free frame like I mentioned.

We didn't do any of the activities during the day but they do offer lots of pool sports and activities for people to do. They usually have musical entertainment at night too.

The bartenders at the pool bar are a lot of fun.. The staff is really polite and hospitable.

We did a couples massage as a present at the spa which was great. The rooms come with all pretty decent sized toiletries that are from the spa.. So ladies if you run out of conditioner- they got you.

The best thing we got to experience was the butlers convoy. Everyone gets to drive out on the golf carts to the back nine and have wine, light hors douvres. The view from out there is unbelievable. If I was into golf at all... I would have loved to play golf because the course is so gorgeous.

I definitely advise to the ladies:There is no need to rock heels this entire trip. I brought one pair... And wore them for about 5 minutes.

The sun is crazy strong out there so be careful to make sure you are wearing something with an SPF, or take breaks from the sun every now and then.

When we left.. Our dream team of butlers actually came to say goodbye to us- Which I didn't see too many doing. I wished we had stayed a few more days... Or forever.

Room Tip: Perfect getaway after a wedding!
8 Thank Myra S
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I have been back for a week and still cannot stop talking about this trip. This is our third Sandals vacation and it's the best. When people hear Bahamas, they automatically think of Freeport and Nassau.... Not for long. Sandals at Emerald Bay in Great Exhuma is a slice of Paradise. The white sands and crystal blue waters of Exhuma are the best. We spent more time on the beach then we did at the pool. The ocean water was warmer than the pool, at least it seemed like that to us. The grounds were kept immaculate. Our room was very clean and the bathroom was gorgeous. This place was formerly the Four Seasons and it didn't disappoint. We went for our 25th anniversary and will never forget it. The food was OK. My wife really enjoyed both the Italian and the French restaurants. I enjopyed the fully stocked bar in our room and the swim up bar in the main pool. ALL of the staff were very friendly and courteous, probably more so than the other two Sandals resorts we've visited. We did not get the Butler service. We didn't see the need. The quiet pool was a neat idea, but enjoyed the action at the mian pool. The golf course for anyone that loves golf is probably the most scenic golf course you will ever play in your life. The back nine is breathtaking!!!!! and a little windy to say the least. Bring a lot of balls. We are both so happy to have vacationed in Emerald Bay, you cannot go wrong!

2 Thank kkrezz
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that my husband and I have been going to paradise island in nassau since our honeymoon twenty three years ago. Since then it has become too commercialized for our idea of a relaxing vacation......so we began our quest for a new spot in the Bahamas and we found it in Exuma! We were loyal guests of Atlantis on Paradise Island, but over the years it has become a water park and mega casino and lost the romantic beach retreat feeling we fell in love with twenty three years ago. After spending a few days at Sandals resort in Exuma this July we found our new vacation spot! Exuma is uncrowded, not overdeveloped, and most importantly the people are very friendly and welcome tourists very warmly. The Sandals resort beach was stunning and very clean. The resort was peaceful and classy. Some all-inclusive resorts I have visited in Punta Cana and Mexico in the Secrets Resort chain had more of a heavier drinking crowd----not this resort. People were very respectful of others vacation time and not obnoxious and outwardly drunk. I highly recommend getting a couples massage.....and I recommend a therapist named TALIA!!! Every vacation my husband and I get a couples massage and she was the best! Best massage yet....better than the spa at Atlantis! To me vacations are about how people make you feel during your stay, a nice beach, nice accommodations, a good spa, and quality time with my husband. I found it all at this resort. We will be back....maybe for the next twenty three years!

Room Tip: Don't pass up the spa. I recommend a massage therapist Talia. She is very professional and skill...
4 Thank Shawn P
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We recently took a babymoon to Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma and all I can stay is wow! The beach was one of the most stunning I have ever seen. We had breathtaking views from our oceanfront villa(definitely worth paying more for this) and our butlers Garth and Sanjeet were amazing and attentive in every way. The food was delicious, the resort was gorgeous, everything was just perfect! We had to shorten our stay due to a death in the family and managment felt bad and issued us a 2 night stay to any of their other properties. If you like golf, the course is breathtaking, overlooking the ocean on the back 9. My husband definitely enjoyed golfing every day. The spa was nice, nothing too fancy, but the massage I had was one of the best. This is a great resort if you are looking to really escape and relax completely. We will be back!

2 Thank Claire C
#1 of 4 in George Town
Exuma Palms Hotel
Exuma Palms Hotel
#5 of 6 in Great Exuma

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!