“Awesome Anniversary Week”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were looking for an upscale location to "check-out" for a week and celebrate our 23rd anniversary. We found just what we needed at SEB. We booked the Emerald Bay Honeymoon Penthouse Beachfront Villa and were assigned the next to the last villa away from pool area (near tennis courts). We are mid-forties and very active and found the location ideal - short walks to the pools and restaurants were no problem and the quiet/privacy at this end was very nice. The grounds and pools were spectacular. Constantly being maintained and cleaned. Our room was larger than expected and comparable to other 4 star hotels we've stayed in. Bed was comfortable and there were a selection of pillows available to us.

We opted for the butler service initially because we were looking to be right on the beach for the views and the sound of the waves, which didn't disappoint. We had never used a butler before so we weren't really sure how much we would utilize it....until we met them. Our team of Valentino, Adam & Sheldon were superb. Valentino met us upon arrival, gave us a quick tour of the property (while getting familiar with our interests for the week) and escorted us to our villa. After we had a look around the room with a second glass of champagne, he hit the highlights of event options for the week as well as confirming our pre-booked spa appointment. He had also made advance reservations at the Italian and French restaurants for two nights. Each day the butlers would set-up a spot for us on the beach or by the pool. The poolside cabanas would have been hard to get otherwise even though we were out earlier than most at 8:30-9:00am. The cabanas were great options for taking a break from the sun while still enjoying the pool area. For others considering whether to go for the butler service here are some of the other things they did for us: Our requests - bottle of champagne in room on arrival, dinner reservations, golf tee time, lunch from Barefoot restaurant brought to our pool cabana (2x), changed dinner reservation time. Their initiative - pre-lunch snacks delivered to pool (nachos first day, then we requested fruit plate), creative towel animals or messages in the room, cooler with ice and bottled water delivered to us at beach or pool each day, calls to check in periodically to see if we needed anything. They also offered to provide in room dining from any of the restaurant menus and luggage unpacking, we chose not to utilize either. All in all we used them more than we expected because they were very good, extremely friendly and never made it feel pretentious.
The restaurants were very good and we tried all of them at least once. The French and Italian were the highest food quality (lamb chops @ French and penne arrabiata @ Italian in particular) but the service was so-so. Barefoot by the sea has wonderful views - recommend during windy times as this made the flies less prevalent, otherwise they descended the moment your food hit the table. The Bahama Bay buffet was great for breakfast with a good array of choices and an omlet/egg station; didn't try it for lunch/dinner. The Drunken Duck pub was good for a walk-in dinner when you didn't want to be on a schedule. Delvina the hostess was fun and spunky each time we visited which made it memorable and inviting. A tip for the Italian restaurant (and perhaps French too) is that they seem to get a lot of no-shows - we saw lots of empty tables despite being "fully booked" when the resort seemed to be well short of sold out (guessing 50-60% of capacity). On two nights we showed up at Il Cielo either early for our reservation or without a reservation, inquired politely and were seated after a 5-10 min wait at the bar.

Activities we would recommend include a round of golf if you play and going for a run on the back nine (there is a designated 2.7mi loop along the cart paths). The Greg Norman golf course is spectacular - one of the most beautiful and challenging courses I've ever played. We also took out a catamaran, water trike and paddle board from the water sports shop. Note, 4 of our 7 days the wind and waves were strong enough to shut-down all water sports, 2 days were yellow flag which was OK for sailing and kayaks and 1 day was green flag for everything. Evening entertainment wasn't a big draw for us, but we did hit the chocolate night, reggae band and Junkanoo parade each for a brief time. There wasn't a big turnout for any of these as it seemed lots of folks were tired from a full day in the sun like we were.

Lastly a special thank you to Georgette from the photo shop, who came in on her off-day to rescue our sunset photo shoot on our last night. Our scheduled photographer was not available and she pitch hit with no notice and captured some great images for us. So what was looking like a letdown on our final night turned into a good memories for us and significant sales for the shop. Well done to Livingstone & Georgette for going the extra mile.

Overall we were very satisfied with our stay and would definitely do it again.

Room Tip: Beachfront villas were worth the additional cost. The ones at the end of the beach near the tennis...
1  Thank Alan W
There are newer reviews for Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I went to this resort from June 2nd to June 9th for our honeymoon. We booked our trip through Melissa at Beach Bum Vacations and she really hooked us up! Per her suggestion, we opted for a butler room and we both felt that we would always opt for butler service from here on out. Sheldon, Valentino and Adam were all so nice, friendly and helpful that they really made our honeymoon feel special and even more memorable. They were very attentive, doing neat little things like making a bath, picking fresh flowers, bringing little chocolate treats and making fun little towel animals. These little touches, in addition to booking outings, building a little hut on the beach or reserving a spot at the pool made our vacation so much easier and we could really focus on just being together for our honeymoon! The other fun thing about the Butler service was doing the butler convoy, a neat little "happy hour" trip for a few drinks and games with one of our butlers - Adam went with us!

As part of the Butler package we had an ocean view honeymoon room and all I can say is WOW! The room was always clean, great furnishings, and the view was amazing (do the second floor, not the first - way better view!) My wife didn't know where we were going on our honeymoon and when we walked into the room her jaw hit the floor seeing the view! Sheldon, Valentino and Adam brought breakfast to our room most mornings so we could eat on the balcony listening to the waves and the gulls. It was awesome! While we were there, it wasn't too crowded and it really felt like the beach was ours every day. Very private. We only spent one day at the big pool, played some basketball and had some really nice fruity drinks!

The staff at all of the various restaurants were very friendly and helpful in letting us know what our options were. The food is good, we have never been to a Sandal's and it was my wife's first all inclusive. I tend to think that an all inclusive makes food for a lot of people so it's hard for the food to "blow you away" and be that memorable. I felt like that was the case here. Good food, made you not hungry but not "wow food"

We had a lot of fun at the Drunken Duck pub, watching basketball/hockey and talking with bartenders. They were all very friendly and were great to talk with!

Per Melissa at Beach Bum, we did the 007 Thunderball tour on our trip through Exuma Water Sports. DO IT! This trip was awesome. The guys really know their stuff, having lived in the Bahama's their entire life. Swim with pigs, sharks, feed iguana's, go to a private sand bar and get great shell's and get a "WOW" meal at the yacht club - the freshest Mahi we had ever had! The only down side of doing this trip - it's pricey - look into booking it directly through the guys that do the trip it will save you a lot of money per person....I think Sandals charges extra so they can make more $.

Speaking of that, "extras" at the resort can get a bit pricey. We had a spa credit ($175) and it wasn't nearly enough to pay for a basic couple's massage for us. The massage was really nice, just pricey! The prices on the photo packages seemed to be really high as well. The photographers were all great, very nice and took really good shots but the price per disc/picture were very high.

The only other "negative" I might add was that we didn't really take advantage of the water sports. Some how, we didn't know they did snorkel trips daily until our last day. We never saw this posted and I don't think we were told on our check-in tour. Not a biggie, just something to keep in mind if you go!

Overall, we would go back as it was so relaxing and a great "private" thing for our honeymoon. We will return for some anniversary at some point!

Room Tip: Get a Butler room, do the second floor!
1  Thank Brett M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Let's start by saying, as others have mentioned, that this is a pricey resort and look at what you get for the money. My trip was during the 'off season'. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. The beach area was also beautiful and well groomed, the only exception was a small section of the otherwise long beachfront that seemed to have a concentration of a dark plant that sort of spoiled an otherwise pristine beachfront. It was easy to avoid however as the beachfront was long and never crowded. The pool area was clean and amazing. The only chink in the armor were the buildings themselves. Though still very nice there were signs of age here and there that could have used attention. I stayed in one of the regular rooms not a villa and there was an unpleasant odor if the shower. There was also a musty smell to the game room of the Drunken Duck Pub. Given the exposure to humidity and ocean air this type of thing might be expected and would normally not detract from the trip, however the cost of the stay makes little things like this stand out more. The largest issue happened right away. I came in on an early flight and had to wait 4 hrs for a room. Luckily there were others in my group that I could talk to while waiting but it was rather a long wait.

The food was very good bordering on excellent. They catered to a variety of tastes and if there was something you could not find just ask and the staff was very helpful in granting requests as possible. I was with a group and was always happy with the food. Some in my group were not so luck getting stuck with overcooked steaks, gristly hamburgers and too strong drinks. But these were exceptions rather than the rule and if asked the steak, burger or drink were replaced.

The staff was amazing. Very friendly and very helpful.

Great vacation, if not for the price tag I probably wouldn't have been so critical.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LongTimeNoTravel
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We just returned from an incredible group trip with 22 co-workers/spouses... It truly was an amazing trip! Top shelf food, incredible surroundings, beautiful property and a level of kindness and service that is missing from any other place we have visited. David, the resort manager, and Shamon, sales manager, were both amazing! They kept a close eye on our group and made sure that everything we needed was taken care of quickly and beyond our expectations! We would absolutely recommend this couples-only resort for larger groups like ours or couples wanting a beautiful, relaxing and accommodating place to experience! Everyone in our group absolutely loved Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma!

Room Tip: Unless you really want to be on the beach, the main buildings are a great choice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chad C
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank yo so much for your review of Sandals Emerald Bay. It sounds like your entire group had an incredible experience at our resort. We're delighted to hear that we were able to make your stay so amazing.

We hope to welcome you all back for another amazing trip in the near future!

Cassie C

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I am here with my husband for ten days. We have had so many incidences where things have gotten messed up. We are used to being taking care of if there are any problems. Our first night here I saved a women's life and the resort has just shrugged it off. The nurse came thirty minutes later. The staff is very friendly and courteous but management does not listen. I have never written a review but I feel compelled to especially since my dad and mom knew one of the Stuart brothers in Sarasota. The people we have met are so nice and we plan to get together soon. I am sorry to write this but felt it necessary to do so.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lucy54273

I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying your stay with us. I've tried to contact you via private message to see how we can resolve this matter while you are still on property but I was not able to reach you. I encourage you to reach out to our Director of Guest Services. She has been alerted and is expecting to hear from you. Please give us a chance to make this up to you. We always want to ensure that all of our guests are having a wonderful vacation and it would be nice if we were able to turn things around for you.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to making contact with you soon.

Cassie C.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Sandals Emerald Bay resort was absolutley gorgeous. My wife and I have travelled the Caribbean extensively (we even own a condo in the DR) but we have never experienced the likes of Emerald Bay. The food was exquisite, the staff were wonderful and I have not seen waters this colour of blue.
My wife and I stayed in an Oceanfront Beach Villa and the view was amazing and the morning sunrises were spectacular. We had 3 Butlers that looked after all of our needs. We had no issues at check in, our Butler was there to greet us, give us a brief tour of the grounds and they take us to our room. (which was ready when we arrive)
My wife and I cannot wait to return in November

Room Tip: The beach front villas are wonderful
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

We so happy to know that you had a fabulous stay with us at Sandals Emerald Bay. You enjoyed your well-appointed room with spectacular views and your butters did an excellent job of exceeding your expectations. Thank you so much for your review.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Cassie C.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have to start off by saying I have been to 75% of the Sandals resort. I started in my 20s and spent about 5 years going to a Sandals often. Maybe I am just getting older, but I can't remember what I loved about it.

This resort was beautiful! The pool area is spectatular, private free canopys, furniture in the pool for laying down or sitting and reading, it is just breathtaking. However, it is huge. And unless you are up by 7am you do not get the best seats, they are always out of towels, and the rafts are hard to come by. People keep them at their chairs all day. They are torn and need to be replaced. Sandals is fairly expensive for what it is, they need to improve on a lot of the services and spend some money buying more towels and floats.

The food is of course very good. Some places better than others. The Cafe is just unebelievable. Pasteries (different daily) from dawn til dusk. Delicious coffes and great staff (surprisingly as I saw the same ones every day, all day and night). Room service is mediocre at best and they run out of food which is not acceptable. My husband and I were on our honeymoon and wanted room service often and we just had hit and miss experiences in 7 nights. The pub is great. Good pub food and fun.

The beach is a few minute walk away, not very well kept, no real watersports to do, and very limited seating. Much worse than pool. However, everyone is always at the pool and after 10 when the bar is open it is rowdy. People have 2 drinks in their hands by 10am and it is all partying. It is fun for a bit but it is too much for those who want to relax and public drunkeness by noon is really annoying. They have a quiet pool but it is average at best. They need to do more for those who want quiet if they want to cater to an older crowd (and by older I mean not in their 20s and up for non stop drinking and screaming). This is a couples resort, it was almost like being at Club Med Cancun.

The resort is huge and many people had long walks to get to the pool, beach, food, etc. I mean 10-15 minutes. That is too much on vacation if you want to go back and forth to the room. Most rooms (other than butler suites) were no where near the beach. We were lucky and had a short walk to the pool and a view of the Cafe, but we also had a view of drunk people and couples fighting at night from a day of drinking.

The check in was by far the worst part. Unacceptable. Apparently there are only a limited amount of flights in and out, so the group departing just left an hour before we arrived. No rooms were ready. They dropped us at a buffet restaurant and never told us what to do after. We found our way to the waiting room again to see what was happening and it was 2 more hours til we got our room. They make you fill out forms, and they asked us at least 6 times after we completed it if our form was done. They called out by last names they could not pronounce even close to the original, it was a zoo. I saw at least 3 women flip out. We just waited but were not impressed.

I used to love Sandals. When it was not even that expensive. The costs have gone way up and the standards way down. I will not return unfortunately. Today, the boutique hotels are usually more accomodating. Save your money, unless you want to go to spring break Miami at inflated prices.

Room Tip: Get a beach front villa suite or dont go.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in George Town
Paradise Bay Bahamas
Paradise Bay Bahamas
#1 of 15 in Great Exuma

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!