“Dream Honeymoon!”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I went to the Sandals Emerald Bay for our honeymoon during November 25-Dec. 2. At first we were kind of nervous as people started telling us that you only pay extra for the "Sandals" name, but this was FAR from the truth.

As this was our first visit to a Sandals resort, we were shocked by the amount of pampering they provide. We were greeted with a hot towel and champagne. We were then quickly escorted to our room which was an oceanfront room in Bay 3. Our room was beautiful, bed was so comfortable and fridge was stocked every day. Our room was cleaned every night (as we usually slept in) and our view was gorgeous!

Food- THE MOST DELICIOUS FOOD EVER!!! I can't believe the reviews I read prior to going about how the food wasn't up to par. My husband and I ate our hearts out during our stay because of the wide range of selection. My husband and I are real big fans of sea food so we had a lot of that...lobster for dinner most nights...absolutely DELICIOUS!!!

Service- I couldn't believe how sincerely nice the people that worked there were. We had a couple of complications with our door lock and our safe and reception was so prompt to run to our service. As we walked to dinner or simply down the beach, we were constantly pleasantly greeted and asked if we needed anything. My husband and I did not get a butler and we honestly didn't need one. We never once felt like we needed anything. The servers were quick to respond to any of our requests and they had servers walking down the pool and the beach asking if we needed anything.

Beach & Pool - WOW!!! is all I can say. The beach was as BLUE as the pool to the point where I couldn't distinguish both in the dark. The softest sad I've ever stepped on. The waves got a little strong the last couple of days because it got a little windy but my husband and I simply enjoyed lying down in front of it enjoying it's view.The pool area was cleaned everyday and not once did I notice any dirt. It was also huge and never crowded with people; we always found spots to sit.

ONE down side. The only down side to this resort was the lack of activity in the city. It's a VERY small city (about 54,000 people in population) and so when we went to "explore" it we were deeply disappointed. Their market is basically a house with one or two shops; so please save your money and stay at the resort, it's not worth the cab fair of $100.

Overall, I would rate this resort as the BEST I've been to and I have been to my fair share of resorts. I will definitely return to this resort one day; perhaps on our anniversary. I think you can't go wrong with any Sandals resort but this one was definitely top notch!

Room Tip: If you're going during their "winter" take a sweater, it'll come in handy at night...
3  Thank NNakhla
Write a ReviewReviews (4,064)

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed Nov 4 - Nov 10 2012. This was our 2nd Sandals (married at Ocho Rios, Jamaica in 2004).

Arrival/Checkin - Direct flight from Atlanta. In airport for about 15min then quickly whisked away by suv and at the resort within 15min. Were given glass of champagne and a wet towel and taken to reception area. In less than 10min, Deangelo was escorting us to our room. (We did early online check in, I would reccommend this as we saw other couples from the plane that waited several hours for their rooms to be ready and I'm not sure if early checkin had anything to do with it).

Resort- Breathtaking, it is exactly what you see in the pictures. Grounds couldn't have been anymore gorgeous. All the employees greeted us with a genuine smile and friendly hello.

Room- 2nd floor of Bayhouse 6, behind the quiet pool. We booked the lowest room category but obviously received an upgrade. Room was just as pictures showed. Stocked fridge with alcohol (we don't drink) bottle water and Coke products, Coke, Diet Coke, Ginger Ale and Sprite. Whatever we drank was replenished the next day. We had an awesome view of palm's and the beautiful water. The lotion and body wash provided was ok but would have preferred products used at home but its included so no big deal. The water has a terrible smell and taste, you may want to brush teeth with the bottled water provided. The bed was so comfy that I didnt want to get out of it. Housekeeping would come in at night for turn down service and to leave a paper with the following days activities. We were very happy with the room.

Beach- Absolutely beautiful. Sand was soft and as we've read in other reviews, we never encountered any sand fleas and we were on the beach every day from after breakfast til about 2pm. Water was spectacular and no seaweed or rocks to walk on. Water felt chilly initially but once in it was great. We spent hours every day in the ocean. We would walk all the way down beach to the far south end. Here you could collect some pretty shells and it was very secluded, no one would go over there. The water was way calmer than in front of the resort. You can walk along the rocks all the way out to the end, over a hundred yards than have a relaxing swim back. Its a long walk down but totally worth it.

Water Sports- Only did the kayaks once, very fun but was sore the next few days. We signed up for the snorkeling trip but it was cancelled last minute due to rough water. We werent surprised as it was pretty windy our whole trip.

Pools- We never swam in the quiet pool. We did notice that the quiet hot tub was not hot our entire trip. The main pool had many guests, mostly just to lay out. The water was chilly but that didnt stop us. A lot of people hung out in the hot tub which felt great when the wind kicked up. Its true that if you dont get your towels before 9/10am you may be out of luck. We were out before than so we didnt have any problems. If you want to reserve a chair just do it before 9am, no big deal. With such a beautiful resort I dont know why anyone would want to sleep in and miss out on any vacation time. They always do some kind of contests or games by the main pool bar early afternoon. Be patient if ordering drinks from the main pool bar.

Food- If you are picky, as I am than you may lose weight here. All the menus have limited choices and its not plain food. I did eat but wasnt impressed. Some Sandals have beach grills where you can get good ol plain food such as grilled cheese, burgers, chicken, and fries. Not here. The best option is room service which was nice and never took more than 35min. The breakfast buffet at Bahama Bay was by far our favorite. Go to the Paris cafe in the afternoon for awesome chocolate chip cookies and ice cream at night after dinner. I cant comment on drinks as my husband and I don't drink. We were happy that they had Coke products.

Tours- We did the Starfish tour which was horrible. It was cheap and was suppose to be a snokeling tour. The 5 hour trip (including driving time to/from Georgetown) was spent mostly at the Chat n Chill on Stocking Island. The time spent in the water was great but we didnt take tour for a bar trip, very disappointing. We did rent a car ($74) very well worth it. Go to stunning Tropic of Capricorn beach. Totally secluded and got some neat shells.

Tips- Pack a sweater or light jacket. Gets chilly at night.

Overall a great trip. I would love to go back someday but my husband says St Lucia is next.

7  Thank A G
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were there for a week in November to celebrate our20th anniversary. We picked this resort because it is off the beaten path and had scuba diving. We own a timeshare in Mexico ,and always wanted to go to sandals figuring it would be a step above our Palace resorts. we wer sadly disappointed. the grounds were clean and beautiful,as was the room. THe beach magnificent with sugar sand a NdMan crystal blue water, but that is where it ends. They ran out of beer, and tequila at the pool almost daily. there was no waitress service at the pool or beach. if you didn't pay to have butler service, you just didn't get service. Breakfast at Bahama bay was decent, nothing great,same with il cielo breakfast. drunken duck had pub food, and ver poor service. Everone at all the restaurants acted as if you were bothering them, with the exception of the French restaurant. the elevator in our bldg was broken the entire week. we were supposed to have upgraded liquor in our room had to call and leave 2 notes to get it. Had to beg for an extra bottle of red wine in our room, as we don't drink white. Couldn't get a second key to the room, they said they were out. The dive operation was thorough, but a bit of a cattle call. We were very disappointed by the service, as was everyone we spoke with. We will never go to another sandals again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cabocathy1
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for posting about your stay with us. I’m so sorry that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. We are known for providing luxury in a friendly and comfortable environment and unfortunately, during your experience, it seems we did not meet those expectations. Please accept our apologies. I have sent you a private message to look into your matter further and hopefully, come up with a resolution.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Cassie C.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We visited Sandals Emerald Bay in September, 2012 and found it to be our favorite of the many Sandals Resorts we have visited in St. Lucia, Jamaica, and Bahamas. The distance from the airport to the hotel was about twenty minutes. Upon arrival, you are greeted with the expression, "Welcome Home" and home you arrive. We booked a Butler Category room for the first time and found it to be wonderful. Stephen Clarke, award winning butler, was very attentive to our every need. We did not have to get up early each day to place towels on pool chairs which is very aggravating when experiencing a relaxing vacation. He never failed to surprise with food plates, fruit, or a bubbling bath complete with island flowers floating. The room was ocean view and had a separate room with an additional flat screen television. Nice when one spouse wanted to nap in the afternoon. The main pool was very large and wait time at the swim- up bar was very short. The beach was the most spectacular of all we have visited in the Caribbean. You don't need ocean shoes as it is a very easy walk into the beautiful blue water, no rock or seaweed. Activities were held around the main pool, but you were never bothered by the activity team to participate. Food was excellent at all restaurants and since we were in the butler category, reservations were never a problem. In fact, Stephen did all the leg work for us. Lobster tails were so plentiful that we actually got tired of eating them. Breakfast in Il Cielo was wonderful, especially made special by the server Shelby. She couldn't do enough each morning and made the dining experience very pleasant. It was nice to sit down and be served instead of standing on a buffet line. Since we were returning guests, we experienced a golf cart caravan to the spectacular course to see the sun set with champagne in hand. Each couple drove their own cart which was very romantic at night. It was very hard leaving after eight days of heaven. Our booking reservation was made so easy by the experienced travel agency, Beach Bum Vacation. Beach Bum Becky has handled all of our reservations and requests professionally for over twenty years. She always strives to find the best cost for each trip and will work tirelessly for each client. Beach Bum Vacation and Becky are Sandals Experts and certainly display this with each trip taken. If you want a little bit of paradise, Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas is the hotel to select!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are always the nicest while in the islands. Butler Category is nice, but not neces...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tony C
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed at SEB from Nov 25 - Dec 2. Flew in Air Canada from Toronto without problems. Airport is very small with almost no arrival area. Grounds crew open up a garage door and threw luggage in on the floor. You helped yourself than off to the resort by SUV.
From our profile you can see we travel alot and provide reviews. Not just 1 review to complain about landscaping while at the resort, chair issues, why am I not special etc. We have been to other Sandals and although all are unique, we do expect certain things.
Stayed in room 9412 - Coco Plum BeachFront with Butler.It was far from the main area but not an issue for us to wear off some of the food and beverage we consumed. Room was nice and big and didn't really have any concerns that I would write about. We had Garth and Mesha and did a wonderful job. Garth seemed to be on more during the day so we got more use out of him. This was our 1st experience with Butler service and enjoyed it. Did not like our dinner reservations when we arrived ( butler reviewed with us on arrival and had a schedule for us ) and by morning had been changed. 1 suggestion was to list on your Butler schedule who was on each day and from what time so you knew what Butler you were contacting ( they provide cell phones for contact ) Would do it again but not every time. Was nice to have lunch brought pool side and change reservations as well as daily snacks at the pool and in your room when you arrived back from a day of sunning. I was surprised 1 time we wanted to change reservations on short notice ( 1 day ) but couldn't for the time we wanted so for all that think Butlers can do anything, they can not. Not a complaint, we understood,but to think the Butler can bump out a non Butler guest and get anything they want, not true. Was actually nice to see that.
We spent our time at the pool most days. Did not go to the quiet pool. When we arrived the water looked green so we passed. Did clear up by weeks end. There was about 15 or so cabanas ( at each pool )there if you could get one. 1st come, 1st serve. Free of charge compared to other Sandals at about $100 a day. I'm an early riser so never had a problems getting a cabana at the main pool. As i watch the morning unfold, I only saw 1 Butler reserve a cabana. The rest of the time the guests would get there own contrary to what others say or what I have seen at other Sandals resorts. Towels always available at 6 am. Some people need to stop being greedy and only take what you need and when finished return for cleaning. Some would take 4 - 5 each, then leave them laying around to get more. No wonder they run out at times. Would you do this at home ? Pool was a bit cool but once in refreshing. While there we didn't see anyone hording the floaty's at the pool which was nice however they could use more especially with peak season coming.
Beach is nice and long but could get windy and it did the last few days. We only walked on the white powdery sand each day for a nice stretch, did not sit there. Not much to see for snorkelling from the beach however i assume at each end of the bay there would be something - we didn't do. There are sand fleas although we didn't really have a problem partly because we were not on the beach at sunrise or sundown, didn't leave our patio doors open ( although would have been nice to have a screen to do so ) and applied the "off" they supplied in the rooms.
Food - This is were they fell a bit short as others have mentioned. Only had Bare Foot 1x at night and service was slow and the servers a bit confused. Retake orders, coming back to verify, forgot 1 of the desserts. Not a deal breaker though. Italian was so so. Ate there 2x but not alot of Italian flare on the menu. Lobster was ok but not great. French by far the best as others have stated. Nice atmosphere, hot food and delicious. Had the sea bass and was perfect. Buffet for breakfast was always good and efficient but then we were there early each day. Selection good. There is a new chef at Bahama Bay restuarant and could see the changes daily. My wife spoke to him EVERY morning and was always out and about talking to guests for feed back/ explaining some changes he wants to make. IF you have a problem, just tell them him. Dinos for pizza and Drunken Duck pub were a good option for a light meal but they do need another restaurant. Pastry shop to die for - great place anytime of day. Did not try room service. Drinks were good and always had what I asked for. Van and Warrenique were the best at the main pool but near the end of the day, service got slower unless you were a "regular" that had been sitting there conversing for a while.
Did not play golf but walked the course ( back 9 ) a few times in the morning. Great views / photo opt's if you want a variety from the beach. Did the Butler convoy which was fun but wish it lasted longer. Had to leave early as it was getting dark and no lights on the carts.Started at 4 pm. They set up on the back 9 ( # 14 or 15 I think ) with refreshments and snacks. Lasted about 1 1/2 hrs total.
Wife did the Red Lane Spa 1 day using our credit ( had to pay the mandatory 12.5% though ). Had the reflexology ( foot massage ) which was good but not great. She like to have her feet really worked hard but that didn't happen even though they asked how you like it. A bit over priced compared to back home but hey, treat yourself, your on vacation.
Did 1 excursion - Reading Road Trip to a local school ( they need a minimum of 4 to go ). Have done this before at Whitehouse and again had a blast. Kids so well behaved. In uniforms, morning prayers. We could learn something from this back home !! We spent about 1 hr there reading to them and then Sandals dedicated / opened a computer room adding 10 computers for there learning. I think a past guest also helped donation some computers. Did a water tour with 4 C's instead of Island Routes as it was 1/2 the price for same thing. Tours are over priced with Sandals so look outside.
Return Guest Dinner was good and well attended. Sat with Satar the head Butler and was nice conversation. Not alot about the resort / vacation but getting to know you personally. I made a few comments about improvements to the Butler service and he talked to the crew the next day about them. Then he found me to tell me he will look at implementing my ideas. Lobster served was actually better than any other restaurant which they served at. Customary bottle of Rum was given at the end. Can't wait to get the Appletons back and get rid of the ElDorado !!
All in all a good trip. VERYONE was so nice from Managers to Landscapers. They can tell if you are a happy person and give off a good vibe, always say hello even the other Butlers that are not serving you. Would return some day but St Lucia is calling our name next. Sorry for being long winded

Room Tip: It is a quiet resort with minimal night life. Go to relax or for avid golfer
3  Thank lagerbeer

November 25-december2
my husband and I just spent a magical week at sandls.we had a beachfront suite,which was awesome.we also had butler service.we were totally spoiled.our 3 butlers were awesome.cecil,vaughn and Davidson couldn't do enough for us.the beach was great,the food was awesome.especially the salmon at the Italian restaurant.the butlers were very professional and courteous.we have been to other sandals and beaches resort and this was by far the most r elaxing vacation we ever had.our advice if you can,get the butler service its worth the money.
we will definitely be back to see our 3 awesome butlers. the mullens

Room Tip: beachfront is the way to go
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Recently visited this resort the fourth I have been too in the Sandals stable.all are of a good standard but thesis by far the bet that I have been to. The service food and complex are all of the highest standard and the beach must be one of the best in the world.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone especially if you just want a complete chill.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Exuma
11 mi away
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
#5 of 14 in Great Exuma

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!