“Sandals emerald bay is Golden”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
clinton,on
“Sandals emerald bay is Golden”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at the Sandals resort in late Sept and we could not reccomend this resort enough. We have travelled extensively to many islands but this was our first trip to a Sandals resort.
Airport-The airport is tiny but quick to get through and on the outside you are greeted by Jeremy-the manager of Sandals and you are quickly taken by SUV to the resort.
Check-in-After a short drive of 15 minutes you arrive at the resort greeted with a glass of champagne and a nice cold cloth. They take you to reception where they take your information and if your room is not ready they personally take you over to the buffet for lunch. Everyone we met had a smile and were eager to make a great first impression which they did.
Room-our room was ready before 3 but we did pack a change of clothes in case we had to wait. We booked a PalmBay walkout which was located overlooking the quiet pool. The rooms are all
ocean facing. WE had great service and had no problems with the fridge being replentished each day. We did receive one night a congratulation letter for our anniversary left with towel art and a plate of squares.
We had room service one morning and it was delivered on time and hot.
They do supply bug spray in your room and I suggest you use it not only on the beach but anywhere on the resort especially at dusk. The resort does fog but the no seems ( if they like you are bad).
Pools-There are two pools ( and a small private one at the spa). WE found the quiet pool to be too quiet and very warm--not refreshing so we spent most of our time at the active pool. There never seemed to be a problem getting a chair at the quiet pool and they do have floats and a bar there that serves drinks. It is located in a very beautiful, calming area of the resort.
The active pool is huge and although it was always full there never seemed to be a problem of finding a spot in the pool . You did have to get up early to find a chair and we did notice that quite a few days chairs were reserved and no one showed up at all. It would be nice if management was able to somehow monitor this. The pool always had something going on like volleyball, drinking contests etc and while you could join in you were not bothered if you chose not to. The music was also not too loud if you enjoy just reading a book.
Beach-This was our 39th trip and this is the best beach we have ever been on. White , white sand and the most beautiful colour of water we have ever seen! As far as you could walk in the water there was only sand--no rocks anywhere. The beach is hard packed which made for easy walks.
We had green flag days the whole time we were there so we could make good use of the water sports which include hobie cats. water bikes, paddleboarding and kayaking.
The colour of the water in the Bahamas is something incredible to see.
Food-We enjoyed all the restarants and were lucky enough to get into them all.
We enjoyed Il Ceilo for breakfast each morning rather than the buffet. We also found the Italian restaurant to be our favourite.
Barefoot by the sea we enjoyed for lunch and once for supper but found that the service was a little confusing. ( I have read reviews since and it seems the problem has been fixed). If you are bothered by no seeums though this is not as good a spot to eat as they are plentiful here.
We enjoyed the Drunken duck both for lunch and supper and it was a great spot for a late night snack.
Dinos Pizzaria serves a great supper which I am not sure if everyone is aware of as I think many think they just serve pizza. We really enjoyed the service and food here.
Each afternoon we would visit the Cafe de Paris where we would take an expresso and a box of pastries back to our room. This is a wonderful spot to relax overlooking the zen gardens.
La Pariisienne was also a wonderful meal with great service. I would book early to make sure to get reservations as many guest we spoke to were unable to get in.
We cant say enough great things about the food. We are not fussy eaters but if you can not find something here to enjoy I am not sure where you would be satified.
Entertainment-There is always something for you to do or you can do nothing and not be bothered.Each day is a theme which is given in your room each night.
We found the piano bar very entertaining and the staff and Heston the piano player lots of fun.Most nights there was something going on at the band stand or at the Junkeroo . Themes included romantic nights, to caribana.
If singing karaoke to reggae dancing to sitting under the stars beside a gas firepit are some of your ideas of a great evening then this is the place for you.
Golf-My husband went golfing and said while it was very hot---the course is beautiful and challenging and it is not to be missed. It is easy to meet someone to team up with so that is not a problem if you are on your own.
Spa-We did not take advantage of the spa but we did tour it and any reports we heard were great.
Snorkeling-Sandals does offer free trips from the marina for snorkeling but you do need to sign up for it. It was my husbands first time snorkeling and it was pretty specatular.
Exursions-We took the Island Route ( from the resort) tour to Stocking Island and again we would highly reccomemend it. There were only 4 of us and a very knowlegable captain who took us to a blue hole, snorkeling ( unbelievable) to see the sea stars and then for lunch at the Chat and Chill which is an experience itself. The tour was just a half a day but so worth it. Again the colours of the water in the Bahamas is indescribable.
Other Information-I would suggest that if you are there when they have the managers cocktail party you should attend. It is interesting to meet the managers, have some great food and hear about Sandals. We were there for reunion week so the resort was full but it was great to hear about other resorts . (we hope to return for a reunion week as the week for those guests was jammed packed)
We also won the Romantic dinner for two on the beach ( we chose the tower) which was one of the many highlights of our trip.
Check out is done at the hotel where they take your luggage to the airport ahead of time. ( one suggestion is to bring your luggage with you to reception as you canèt check out without it)
We found the guests at this hotel a mixture of ages from honeymooners to 50th anniversarys. it was easy meet people and everyone seemed to be having a great time.
I would suggest if you have any problems with no-seemus to bring antihisepheme from home. I knew ahead of time so I did.

Staff and Service-We found the staff and service to be wonderful. The management was always stopping by and asking opinions and we thought they went above anywhere we have been. The staff always had a smile and seemed to enjoy having you at the resort. We commend the management for leading a wonderful group of staff who really know how to make your vacation so special.
When you are leaving and the management comes and shakes your hands and says to please come back you know you are at the best of the best.
My husband and I were celeberating our 30th anniversary and we could not have picked a more wonderful romantic place to spend itl
The people of the Bahamas and Emerald Island are wonderful, and friendly--the waters are incredible and the resort is luxury beyond.
We are glad we didnèt start off 30 years ago at a Sandals as we think they are going to be hard to beat.
We will return.
Dont hesitate to book this fabulous spot

Room Tip: There is a pillow menu which they will deliver to your room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank clintontraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,250)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at Sandals Emerald Bay for five nights to celebrate our ten year wedding anniversary. We chose this property because it is remote and quiet and seemed like a great place just to relax and get away from the world for a few days. If this is what you are looking for, then this property is for you. The beach is one of the best I have ever seen, and the water was a spectacular shade of blue. If you are looking for a party resort with a lot of entertainment, night life, shopping and activity, you will probably be bored at this resort. But me personally, I plowed through several novels while either poolside or on the beach and was happy as could be.

We did not have butler service and didn't feel lacking for it. If you want it, fine, but there is nothing about this property that would require you to get it. In fact, my husband and I speculated a bit about what the butlers actually did, because other than getting our drinks for us, we really felt like the regular concierge service pretty much covered it.

The rooms were spacious and clean and we had no problems with housekeeping. If you are not going to get a villa, then you should probably try to get a third story room, because they have the best views. None of the non-villa rooms have beach walk-outs, although the entire property is gorgeous and the beach is easily accessible from the entire resort.

Regarding the food, it was fine and in some places, quite good. Il Cielo was disappointing. The food was average to poor, as was the service. However the French restaurant was very nice and we also enjoyed the Drunken Duck, Dino's, Barefoot by the Sea and the pastry shop. The buffet was also good.

We did not do any excursions or golf, so I can't comment on those. However, we did get a couples massage and I got a pedicure at the spa. Be aware that even if you prepay for spa services, there will be a service charge that they will want you to pay at the resort. The quality of the spa services is high, and I actually liked the products they use, which were also available in the room. My husband went sailing and did some kayaking and really enjoyed that.

The only significant downside to this resort for me was the bugs. We definitely came home with lots of bites. They aren't anything serious, basically mosquito or flea type bites, but they do itch. The Off does not work.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sandals Emerald Bay and would recommend it to others. In fact, I had to reign my husband in, as he wanted to book a stay for the family at Beaches Turks and Caicos while we were there. Perhaps that will be my next review! :-)

Room Tip: Third story rooms have a better view.
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was our 5th stay with Sandals Resorts, but our first visit to Emerald Bay. The main desire for our vacations was relaxation and beautiful surroundings since we do not get to vacation without our kids but every few years. Sandals EB did not disappoint.

We stayed the last full week of September which just so happened to be Reunion Week as well for Sandals returning guests. They had a huge check-in on Sun, but I thought it went very smooth. We were met at the airport by the Sandals reps and management and quickly loaded into a taxi for the short ride to the hotel. Upon arrival we were given refreshingly cool towels to use and escorted to the concierge lounge to check-in. Check-in time is 3:00pm so our room wasn't ready. (Note: Please understand this. It is clearly stated in Sandals Resort info.) We were escorted through the resort and offered our selection of restaurants to use for lunch. We chose the pub and it was outstanding! Were were in no rush and just happy to enjoy our surroundings. I was very disappointed to see some couples upset that their rooms weren't ready up[on arrival. RELAX people. You're in paradise! Anyway, Our room was ready just before 3:00 pm. Were were shown to our room and all our luggage was there waiting for us.

The room was perfect! We booked the lowest category room. We did apparently get upgraded one level. We had a nice balcony with a little view of the bay. We were in Bay House 4 so the location was perfect and we were close to everything we wanted. All the furnishings were perfect. The bathroom was very nice. There is a safe to use in the room for free. There is also some bug spray; use it! If there is no breeze, the sand flies do come out in force at dawn and sunset! Wireless internet is available in the rooms and throughout the resort. It was $42.99 for a week and good on up to 3 devices. It helped us keep in touch with home which actually helped us relax even more since we could see the kids were doing very well and not being problems for their grandparents.

I love to dive so that is why Sandals has become a favorite for me since the diving is included. The whole Watersports staff was great, but I really want to thank Gary, the Divemaster, for providing me a great week of diving. All their gear was great and they went out of their way to take care of you. A lot of the reef is still damaged from the hurricanes in the last few years, but there is still amazing reefs to see and tons of sea life to enjoy.

We really enjoyed the Quiet Pool. There were two days that it wasn't very quiet, but it did not diminish our enjoyment. I would set up a cabana in the morning when I went diving so my wife had her "spot" when she got down there. The Quiet Pool also had it's own bar! The rum punches were great!

Although it was not advertised as such, our room DID include room service. We did not sample all the restaurants there so I can't give to good a review on that other than to say I talked to a lot of other couples that raved about the Italian Restaurant. We were lazy a lot on did enjoy room service a few times. After diving I would get a made-to-order pizza from Dino's.. It was very good. We went back to the pub twice an liked their food a lot too.

They had plenty of activities available as well. The beach was beautiful and I enjoyed walking on it. They basically had something for everyone whether your wanted to be active, entertained, or just relax. For us, it was perfect.

The staff as always was wonderful. They were all very pleasant and happy to help if needed. This was a wonderful, relaxing trip for us and Sandals once again, made it paradise. We hope to return and experience more of what they have to offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dutch_Norwood
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Reviewed October 20, 2012

First, let me just say we had a total blast at Sandals Emerald Bay. We met a bunch of really fun people, and made some lifelong friendships. We stayed for 7 days, Sept 29-Oct 6. The weather was often cloudy and it rained occasionally. But it was still so warm and beautiful that it didn’t matter at all. We even stayed in the beautiful pool and swam in the rain for a while.

I cannot say enough about the spectacular beach at this resort. Long and white with sand the texture of fine flour. The aqua sea is simply stunning and warm and perfectly calm. It was heaven.

Our room was well appointed with a little table and chairs, a king sized bed with tons of pillows, a lounge chair, and a large armoire that housed the plasma TV and the mini bar. But hold on, the mini bar is not mini! The bottles are full sized, and if you don’t see what you want, they will bring it to you! The mini fridge is filled with bottled water, sodas, and wine. The bathroom was huge. In it were a full spa tub and a giant shower. They supplied robes (ask for the cotton waffle weave), comfy slippers, hair dryer, and medium sized shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and body lotion, divinely scented bath bar and a facial bar soap from their Red Line Spa products. This was a VERY nice touch, and the products are top notch and smell wonderful.

The thing was…
The room was not clean. So much so that we felt like we had to say something to the manager, Satar. He was AWESOME! He personally moved us to another, better room with wonderful ocean views, and made sure I had the extra memory foam pillows I asked for, and even a body pillow (it’s a rock – don’t bother) and chomped us free internet (which is VERY expensive – so beware) for our trouble. This man truly went out of his way for us. And for every day for the rest of our stay, Satar maintained his genuine concern and care for our comfort and happiness. He was a true breath of fresh air in the service industry.

Unfortunately…
Even in our new room, the maid service was terrible. Our bed was fresh every day, but our bathroom was never fully appointed after the first day, and we had to constantly ask for more towels, considering we were in and out of the pool and showering more than once a day. At one point, we noticed the phone in the bathroom looked like someone had wiped their fanny and put poopy fingerprints on the phone. It was gross. I didn’t tell Satar, because I knew he’d be mortified, but I did tell the night maid who quickly got the disinfectant and cleaned the toilet stall and phone! I still didn’t touch the thing afterwards.

The food…
The food is only fair UNTIL you figure it out! Ask for larger portions, and order dessert when you order your other food. La Parisienne is far and away the best food on the property, and Anndeka the best waitress. But make reservations the minute you get off the bus and walk in the door. Don’t wander around admiring the place while you’re trying to get your bearings. Just ask where to go, and GO. While you’re there, make reservation at II Cielo, too. Their food is pretty good. And the bar in II Cielo is THE place for a lemon drop martini or other properly made drinks (but the bartenders change, so you never know). The Drunken Duck Pub does a good job with their Black and Blue Burger and wings and Georgia is the best waitress there. And they do a great job with onion rings! But they will only bring you 3 unless you ask for the exact amount you want. In fact, all the food portions are teeny tiny. You’ll get 4 little wings, for instance. Ask for more – they’re good! So always order double and order all the things you would like to try at the same time. Otherwise you will be waiting FORVER to get your food. In fact, you will wait forever anyway. Don’t know why, but the food comes out of the kitchen sloooooow. Dino’s and Café de Paris were both good. My husband discovered Café de Paris with its delicious cookies and icecream. In Dino’s, tell them exactly what you want on your pizza, and how much. Otherwise, you’ll get 3 pieces of pepperoni on a pepperoni pizza. Ask for 8 or more.

Cocktails…
The cocktails are weak. This is deliberate, I’m sure. But we’re not drinkers, so we didn’t care. We just enjoyed staying hydrated with the rainbow of fruity concoctions mixed up by the bartenders at the swim up pool bar. If you have a request, however, they will deliver and are happy to make it “your” way.

The property…
The property is unbelievably beautiful. The grounds are kept impeccably, and the two kitties that wander around are friendly and add a certain touch to the place that made me happy when I saw them.

The Staff…
All the staff are friendly and seem responsive, even if they are slow to respond. But really, the only problems we had were with the housekeeping staff. They need more training or they need different people. I don’t know.

The diving…
O.k. We are advanced divers. My husband is a Padi instructor, Dive Master, Rescue Diver, etc., and I have hundreds of dives under my belt as well. So we know what we’re talking about. First, the dive boat is really nice and really comfortable. The gear is in good shape (although we bring our own), and the safety features are well maintained. Sandals does a good job of their logistics in this regard. HOWEVER… that all being said, we were disappointed with the diving. I suppose we didn’t expect a Sandals to exactly be a “dive resort.” But we were hoping for a bit more than we got. We were in the Bahamas, for crying out loud!

What happens is this; they take the advanced or open water divers out for a ONE TANK morning dive. Then they come all the way back in and get the resort divers, turn around, and go back out. You can join the resort dives as well. But the thing is, by the time you go out for the first dive, come back for the resort divers, load the boat back up and go out again, your day is eaten up with a couple of not-that-great dives! The dive spots at Emerald Bay kind of look awful. The lion fish are HUGE and may have eaten everything, I don’t know. But I was not impressed. AND the Dive Masters make you stay herded up like little chicks. I could barely get any pictures of the few things I did spot, because he was constantly motioning to stay on the move. I have to say that when we dove with the Dive Master, Mr. Bancroft, we were well pleased. After he saw that we were proficient, he gave us our space and kept his watchful eye on those more needful. His level of confidence and experience made all the difference for us.

Will we go back? Well, while I was having my wonderful massage at the spa, my husband booked us for our anniversary next year at the Sandals in La Toc! So yes! We will go back. We had a blast.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the second floor so you can sit on the porch during or after a rain. Otherwise, the...
1 Thank Uphilldeb
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just returned from 5 day stay. Went to Royal Bahamian Nassau in April and loved it so much decided to try another Sandals. Lovely location although it little bit remote for my liking. We enjoyed our stay but couldn't help comparing it to the Royal Bahamian which we couldn't fault. Small resort, more remote, smaller choice of restaurants and entertainment, second swimming pool not to good. Would totally recommend for someone seaking a complete get away from it all experience but not for those who like to get out and about like us.
We did a fantastic water tour whilst there run by 4 C's. There leaflet was given to us on arrival at the airport and dismissed it at first, rather opting for a hotel recommended tour but the usual 007 Tour was out of action and they couldn't suggest anything else so gave 4 C's a ring. Best thing we ever did, see my review on water tours.
Many people previously have commented on rooms etc. so won't bore you with that again, only two niggles:
1, The hogging of sunbeds is completely out of control and is now deemed acceptable!!! But what is worse is the water mats. How people can live with their conscience and take two of the very few water mats available and wedge them between their chairs and bugger off for the morning is beyond me. Literally everyone does it, and if they manage to get one in the pool they take them back to their sunbeds and cover them with their towell so no-one else can use them. If anyone from Sandals is reading this review, you really really need to sort out these selfish people as it competely spoils the pool experience. If all the mats were to be kept only in the pool there would be plenty for anyone who wanted to use one.
2. Sandflies! I know this isn't a fault of Sandals but anyone visiting must be aware that the beach as beautiful as it is cannot be used even for 10 minutes without being eaten alive by these annoying flies. So tiny can hardly be seen, they like to come out about 5pm (bad near the coffee shop). Not sure if this is a seasonal thing, but mid October really bad!!

2 Thank BRENTONIAN
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review of Sandals Emerald Bay. We're always excited to read great reviews from our return guests as it ensures us that we are still able to meet (if not exceed) your expectations. We're happy to read that you enjoyed the excellent service and genuine hospitality of our staff. We hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Happy Travels!

Cassie C.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We found that guests with butler service have access to better rooms, better room views, lots of
Other perks. Basically, ask for it and likely you will get it. If the resort is full, dining reservations can
Be somewhat of a race in order to not be eating at 10pm. The butler is helpful for this as well, sort of go to the head of the line.The grounds are beautiful, the pool is very clean and large.Rooms are
Clean and although not luxurious, very nice. The highlight of the week was the 007 snorkel adventure. Next time we go we will do that again for sure. We are booked for May 2013.

Room Tip: Ocean front is well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
We're so happy to read that you had such a wonderful stay at Sandals Emerald Bay. Having the butler service allows our guests to really enjoy their vacation with no worries or hassles at all. They will do everything in their power to ensure that our guests get the most out of their stay without having to lift a finger. We're glad that you enjoyed our well-appointed rooms, beautiful property and exciting activities.

Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to seeing you next year May.

Cassie C.
West Fargo, ND
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Sandals Emerald Bay was a great place to spend our honeymoon. It really promoted the romantic feeling for couples, with cabanas, restaurants, & service.
I highly recommend participating in the excursions that the resort offers. We went on the Thunderball 007 Luxury Tour. While it did wear us out completely by the end of the day, it was an unforgettable experience. Our tour guides, Ray & Justin are native to the island & their knowledge of the current & historical affairs of the island is fantastic.
If you plan to go on any excursion(s) or even hang out at the beach a fair bit, I also highly recomment bringing a waterproof camera (and I don't mean the cheap disposable ones that you might get pictures from but the color is awful). Even if you spend a couple hundred dollars on it, it will be worth it, I promise. We didn't have one but most of our group did. We got plenty of photos from dry land (or carefully from in waist-deep water) but it would've been great to have some closer up with the tour attractions & beach activities.
On thing we were disappointed by was the Sandals website describes being waited on with drinks at the beach. While their were a few waitors taking orders & bringing us drinks, the beach is about 1 mile long so they didn't have enough staff to get to everyone. If we really wanted drinks, we had to sit closer to the bar (which is more populated & not quite as relaxing as we would've hoped). Or when we wanted drinks, we had to make the walk to the bar ourselves which can be a lot of walking when you're out there for a few hours.
There are sand flies that bite (similar to a mosquito) quite badly in the early morning before 7 AM & in the early evening from about 4 PM to 6:30 PM. The resort does provide bug spray in each room free of charge & I would suggest taking advantage of it. The bites are not super painful or anything like that, but we noticed many people had little red bumps all over: legs, face, neck, arms, etc. (and they were pretty itchy). An itch relief cream would be a good thing to have as well.
Obviously sunscreen is vital. Even with it applied every 80 minutes as recommended, you WILL get sun. On that note, if your skin doesn't tan easily, go to a tanning salon quite regularly to prepare. You will still probably get pretty red, but at least it won't be such a shock to your skin cells. When you're in the ocean or on it (in a boat), reapply more often; it's unbelievable how much the sun reflects off the water.
We went for 4 nights, & got 4 whole days at the resort. NOT ENOUGH TIME! Even the other people we spoke with said we barely got to experience the island. Many people stayed for at least 7 nights.
We got to the resort from the airport at noon but you can't check into your room until at least 2 PM (they tell you 3 PM, but if you ask it sometimes is earlier). So we ate lunch & then wandered around for a couple of hours, which wouldn't seem like a very big inconvenience; BUT my husband & I are from ND & we were dressed for ND fall weather (jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirt, & close-toed shoes). It's easy enough to take off a sweatshirt but jeans are pretty uncomfortable in 80-85 degree F heat. The humidity is high too, so the heat feels like a wet, moist heat. We enjoyed sitting on the beach but we wish we had shorts & flip flops at that point.
Overall we really enjoyed the whole stay. We had one MAJOR CONFLICT, however. The Sandals customer service phone reps tell you to call them one week prior to leaving to make sure everything is in order & to call the airline 48 hours before to verify that your flight schedule hasn't changed. I called the Sandals hotline 4 times in the week prior & asked every rep if everything was set & every one of them told me "Yes". We even had our excursion & massages booked ahead of time. I called the airport every other day during the week before we left, up until the day before we flew out & again, everything seemed in order. Then we got to the airport...my husband didn't have a boarding pass for every single flight we needed to get there & back (even though we paid for 2 people)

Room Tip: We booked a walkout ocean view room. The walkout aspect was wonderful because we could just go in &a...
2 Thank bevolk
#5 of 6 in Great Exuma
Augusta Bay Bahamas
Augusta Bay Bahamas
#1 of 4 in George Town

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!