“No more Sandals for us”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Castle Rock, Colorado
“No more Sandals for us”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went to Sandals Emerald Bay for our 15 year anniversary. We have been to the Sandals in Antigua and the former Dunns River one in Jamaica. The beach was amazing. We had a red flag almost every day but had fun playing in the waves. Everyone was very friendly. The food was good, but not great. Since the weather was rainy at least some point of every day the sand fleas were horrible. The off supplied by the resort didn't help. I got so many bites that I had to visit the nurse because the itching was so bad. I didn't want to lay on the beautiful beach or go out at night because I would get more bites. Someone wrote a review before we left and made a comment about it being a project for Hotel Impossible. My husband said the same thing when we got there. In our room the drain in one of the sinks wasn't working, then we had bugs crawling up the walls in the bathroom, the doors that led out to our balcony were dirty between the pYanes so could not see beautiful view unless opened the doors. There were other minor issues but what really floored me was the broken glass in the door to the bar by the buffet and duct tape over it along with the broken cabinet that the liquor was setting on. Those things didn't ruin our vacation but it was surprising for what it costs to stay there that it's not in better shape. It was also difficult to get bottled water which we drink a lot of when in the heat and drinking a lot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Tinamdw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,238)
Birmingham (UK)
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We visited EB in June 2010 for our honeymoon. It hadn't long opened as Sandals at this point and there wasn't many reviews. We found everything was perfect. The rooms had our own mini bar stocked with soft drinks and premium bottles of vodka, rum & whiskey. We even asked our butler for red bull which I didn't realise until after that she had to get these from outside the resort. The butlers are great, you have mobile phones for them and can request anything. Cheese platters in your room when you return from the pool etc. they even unpacked all our clothes when we arrived! My wife was very impressed! The beach was beautiful, white sand and clear sea! Scuba diving was included daily, one trip in the morning and one in the afternoon. Gear and boat were all brand new then so was very nice to use. The restaurants were all nice, the pub was great in the day time for some chicken wings and watching some football etc. we went on the swimming pig boat trip but booked via an external operator via the net as it was a lot cheaper than booking with he hotel. Bit disappointing that wifi wasnt free and we had to pay for a weeks use. Overall we enjoyed our 10 nights here. There isn't much to do outside of the hotel complex, we rented a car and went to an amazing beech ( think it was called tropics of cancer beech) worth the trip but doesn't fill a full day.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I went to this resort in April, 2012. The food was terrible, we couldn't eat the majority of the fish we were served - it was not fresh. We were never contacted by Sandals to provide feedback on the trip. We had another trip scheduled with Sandals for December, 2012. We have spent over $30,000 at 4 different Sandals Resorts over the past 6 years. Because of the poor food, and we wanted a different experience, we decided to cancel the December trip. I cancelled on July 29, 2012. As of October 10, 2012 I have not received my $400 deposit back, even after numerous calls. We are done with Sandals.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Eric W
Homosassa, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We visited on Sept 15th-22nd. Ok so this was our 7th visit to a Sandals and we thought that this one was to be the top of the line, well not exactly. The property itself is well manicured and beautiful and the water is beyond explaining to people all the color. We found the food to be just ok not over the top and nothing was "to die for". The service in the restaurants were not as friendly as other sandal's properties. We did find that the staff at the Drunken Duck Pub were the friendliest and most accommodating for whatever our needs were(we had 10 people in our party),whether is was specific food orders or putting tables together to seat us all. Always with a smile, did not feel like it was a bother as it seemed like that in the buffet. However the chef Vanessa was more than accommodating.
The rooms were average - nothing spectacular.
Ok now for the entertainment - if you want peace and quiet this is the place for you. Since we have gone to other Sandals and experienced their entertainment this one fell a little short. Now don't get me wrong it is not because of the staff of the Entertainment dep't (Nevada, Leslie, Peter, Baranique, Jamal and Jerome) were all fantastic and friendly, however when we asked about why certain stuff on the daily calendar was not happening they really didn't have any explanation. There was alot of idle time that could have been used to entertain the guests, however we noticed that you didn't have enough of the staff to accommodate this large of a resort. We felt the entertainment dep't was short staffed.They all did the best that they could with what they were allowed to do, and we are thankful to them for that. This trip would have been a major disappointment all around if not for them. I guess we were expecting alot more from this resort.
We will continue to go to other Sandals but will not be returning to this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank CherriG01
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The beautiful landscaping against the turquoise ocean and blue skies is breathtaking - I doubt I would ever tire of it. This was our 30th anniversary, and we just wanted a romantic, quiet, easy place to visit, without feeling pressure to participate in anything. We golfed and played tennis but mostly just spent the days at the beach and late afternoon at the pool. The food was perfect for my tastes, with just one night not living up to expectations. Having to dress up a little for the French and Italian restaurants was a very nice option. The food and service at those restaurants were terrific. The evenings were pretty quiet, yet so romantic with all the cozy fire pits. And I must add that every single employee you passed by was genuinely friendly and kind. I just love this place. It was the first vacation we've been on where at the end of the week we were sad to leave. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Emerald Bay. We're so honored to have shared this wonderful milestone with you. We're happy that you were able to have such an amazing stay with us and enjoy our delicious food and fine dining as well as the genuine hospitality of our staff.

We hope to welcome you back again next year for an even better experience.

Cassie C.
New Castle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stay: September 23rd - 29th

Let me start by saying that the months leading up to our wedding/honeymoon, I LIVED on TripAdvisor completely over analyzing and picking apart every resort that my wife and I would discuss. We ended up selecting Sandals Emerald Bay and definitely did not regret that decision. It's hard to find reasons not to go to a place like the Bahamas and this resort should be on the top of your list if you're deciding to visit there. As a newlywed couple in our mid-20s we had a great time at this resort and there were plenty of others there our age. There were daily activities scheduled if you wanted to take part and if you didn't, you could feel like you were completely secluded whether on the beach or at the quiet pool. I would say it's safe to say that 90% of the people that rated this resort negatively would have a hard time being satisfied no matter where they are. I've been all over the Caribbean and this resort tops my list by far!

Staff:
- Second to none! We were personally greeted at the airport by one of the hotel managers who personally loaded our luggage into the taxi. Jeremy impressed me by immediately acknowledging my first name without looking at his list once I told him our last name.

- I must say that in all my travels it is rare to find someone as extraordinary as Nelly at the Concierge Desk. She went out of her way to make sure that my wife and I were completely satisfied and were never in need of anything throughout our entire stay.

- Everyone, including the maintenance staff around the resort, was extremely friendly. No matter where you walked, anyone with a Sandals name tag on was always greeting you with a "hello" and a smile.

- We did not have personal butler service, but to me it wasn't something that was necessary as we were blown away by the attention we received from Nelly and the others at the Concierge Desk. Those who aren't satisfied with those at the concierge desk probably need to remember the golden rule to treat others as you would like to be treated :)

Food:
- I have no major complaints with the food. Il Cielo (the Italian Restaurant) had incredible breakfast food and had good dinner as well.

- I LOVED the Cafe on the resort. The pastries were always good, not quite as sweet as I like but then again I like everything extra sweet, but the coffees were amazing as well. Great touch for the resort!

- The French Restaurant booked fast for dinner reservations. As soon as you check-in, I would suggest setting up your dinner reservations for the week.

- I wasn't very fond of Barefoot by the Sea. There were flies everywhere and as they served us our lunch we were immediately greeted with about a dozen flies all over our sandwiches. No big deal, we just chose to eat inside with room service or inside the buffet. Dino's pizzas were also very good!

Room:
- We stayed in Bay House 7 in room 7214. The room was great and the bed was absolutely amazing.

- The mini bar isn't so mini. Our fridge was always stocked with whatever we wanted. A common complaint I read about was the lack in the replenishment of drinks in the fridge. I never had a problem with this. Again, if you show respect to the concierge desk, they will go above and beyond to treat you right. Anytime I wanted more water a simple call to Nelly and we were restocked in no time.

- The room was always clean and we always had plenty of towels.

Other:
- The golf course is something that everyone should experience. My one suggestion to most golfers would be to bring plenty of golf balls with you. I'm an average golfer and went through my fair share!

- My wife doesn't golf but came along with me and had almost as much fun as I did. The views from the back 9 are absolutely gorgeous. Bring a camera with you!

- The spa was also excellent. The therapists were great. My wife had an issue with her nails while we were there and they ended up being able to fix it for like $5. They were great!

Overall, I would say that if you are reading these reviews and are considering visiting Sandals Emerald Bay, it is well worth your time and money. I can't wait to be able to take my wife back and enjoy the resort again. I would like to personally thank the resort management and staff for making us feel like we were royalty during our honeymoon. Thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bay House 7 - 7214 and loved it. It's nice and has a secluded feel, and although w...
2 Thank Mason26
tulsa, ok
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We celebrated our thrid wedding anniversary at Emerald Bay. The resort is beautiful. We upgraded to a Villa which opened on to the beach and had buttler service. Anthony and Keisha were amazing. All activities were planned before we came, bar was stocked with what we wanted. We like having cocktail hour at 6pm. Promptly at 6 we'd received a martini a piece with a cheese/fruit tray.

The beach is a great place to go for a early morning run. The ocean, aquamarine, plenty to do with all the water activities provided by the hotel. We thought the food at most restuarants excellent. Our only disagreement was about the Drunken Duck. The food was good; but I felt it feel flat compared to the other restuarants. Dino's pizzaria, outstanding, and I generally don't eat pizza--went there at least 5 times.

The only negative I have is the bugs. We weren't bothered by them at all until Saturday night. It had rained Saturday morning, so maybe that's what brought the bugs out Sat. night. We were playing chess outside and I felt like I was getting bit. We left Sunday to return home and I noticed several bites on my arms. By the time we landed in Atlanta, the bites had spread to my legs. Monday I ended up in my dermatologist's office and am still taking medication for what is known as the "no-see-um" bug bites. Somewhat of a pain; but overall we really enjoyed the vacation.

Room Tip: The villa's away from the main pool are the place to be if you really like quiteness.
1 Thank francee
#5 of 6 in Great Exuma
Augusta Bay Bahamas
Augusta Bay Bahamas
#1 of 2 in George Town

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!