“Where are all the people???”

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Moncton, Canada
“Where are all the people???”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is the first six star resort we have stayed at and it really deserved the rating. This property is a former Four Seasons resort and is spectatcular. The beach is the best we have been at. The question is even though the resort was full where were all the people?? No line ups for restaurants. The buffet restaurant was never more than 50% full. Never had to "reserve" a spot by the pool or on the beach early in the morning as there was always plenty of loungers available. After 9:00 at night everybody seemed to disappear. Although there were always guests around it just seemed half full at best. Very cool. Now the details. Rooms are big and spacious. Nicely decorated. Balconies nice but could be bigger. Check in was well done (no annoying bracelets here). The beach was huge, beautiful, clean, and empty. Pool was huge clean and also had two huge hot tubs attached. There was also a quiet pool but the big pool was pretty tame compared to other resorts. Staff were great - competent and reserved - would like to hire them myself. Gym is well fitted and looked after. Yoga class with Lynn is very good. The resort has 6 incredible clay tennis courts - always empty - where are the people? Fancy restaurants are very good as expected and the relaxed restaurants were all good. The Dinos pizza was very good and the pub food not so good. Cafe de PAris was fun picking out desserts. Go to the Friday night Junkaroo in the parking lot - the kids band was amazing - they beat the snot out of those drums. The resort was charging $75 per person to go to Georgetown - we hired off resort for $10 per person - quite the markup Sandals! Do the Thunderball tour but be prepared for a long day on the ocean. Again we booked off resort for half the price of the resort. Just call around for availability - we used Bob Smith of Coastline adventures and would recommend (524-8687). His fresh conch salad on the sand bar was amazing. The guests at this resort seemed a bit more mature than usual. This was not a party resort - it literally seemed to shut down at 9:00 - on the positive it was very very quiet in the evenings. If you do not play golf at least walk the course out by the ocean - great walk. Very safe island - never felt nervous or pressured. No tipping it seems on the island. The real bonus to Great Exuma is the people both off and on the resort - make an effort meet some of them. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: The views from the higher floors are better.
7 Thank chickydoo3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,238)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This trip was the second time we have been to a Sandals resort. The first time, we went to Sandals Grande St. Lucian 9 years ago for our honeymoon. This time around, we chose Sandals Emerald Bay for 2 reasons: #1 - it's remoteness and exclusivity and #2 - there was a fantastic sale (we could not have afforded to go otherwise). All I can say is that Sandals has REALLY outdone themselves with this resort.

ROOMS
Rooms are very well-kept. Our room was 1 step up from the basic room (ocean-view) and it was beautiful. Clean, well-kept, gorgeous bathroom with a huge shower and deep tub. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the housekeeping service was great.

POOL/GROUNDS
The grounds are very well-kept. There are little cabanas and hammocks scattered about the resort so you can rest with your sweetheart anywhere you want. There was never an issue getting a pool chair in the sun or shade and the pool was very clean and well-kept with floaties, etc. The little fabric cabanas by the pool were a nice touch (including the fire pits in front of them at night). The pool itself was a little on the chilly side for my tastes, but I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water!

BEACH
This needs a category all its own. I have been to beaches in Europe, Asia and all over the caribbean, but never in my life have I seen one as perfect as this beach. The sand is white and powder-fine, the ocean is a mixture of blues and greens I have never seen before in my life (have your camera ready when coming in for a landing) and best of all, even at 70% full at the resort, the beach was virtually deserted. It was never an issue to get a chair (there were more empty chairs than there were people on the beach). I took a 1 minute video of the ocean lapping the sand and not once did anyone walk through the frame. The beach is a long crescent that is raked and well-maintained by grounds staff. There are no solicitors to hassle you. With how spread out everyone on the beach was, it might as well have been our own private beach!

FOOD/DRINK
The food and restaurants were fantastic. Well-cooked, flavourful, etc. The only meal I didn't enjoy was the lobster/pasta at the italian restaurant but otherwise, fabulous meals! We enjoyed a few meals at the Drunken Duck pub (great pub fare) which was also a fun place to be after dinner to meet up with people for some drinks and some nights, karaoke! Drinks were good - usually well-made. Jane at the Drunken Duck makes a MEAN Cosmo! :) I wish they had had a "drink menu" hanging above bars (Sandals Royal Caribbean had this and it was great - a fun challenge to see how far through the list you can make it by the end of the week).

ENTERTAINMENT
Every vacation I always say that I'm going to participate more and every vacation, I end up just relaxing. I guess that's good! We didn't really participate in the day-time entertainment at all, but those who did seemed to have a good time. The outdoor evening entertainment was decent - live bands/singers, etc. People were up and dancing in front of the bandstand. Only thing is that it ends at 10:00pm which feels a little early for vacation! The Junkanoo lounge was kind of dank and musty and not as enjoyable as far as a place to hang out in the evenings. Originally we had wanted to do the Staniel Cay tour to see the swimming pigs (NOT through the tour company on the resort who seemed to have somewhat ridiculous prices for that tour), but the weather did not cooperate. We booked an off-resort reef fishing trip with "Bonefish Olie" - he was fantastic. Fun and knowledgeable. A fantastic (and fruitful) day out on the water!

OVERALL
We LOVED our time at SEB. The staff are accomodating and friendly and they truly aim to do a great job. There was a fantastic mix of people from all different walks of life. Other couples were warm and friendly - we even ended up forming a little group of strangers-turned-vacation-friends whom we hung out with off and on last week. We missed the kids, but this was the first vacation in a very long time (if not ever) that I would have happily extended to 10-14 days. We are already scoping out the prices to try to go back again in 2013! I highly recommend it to any couple from newlyweds to those celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary and beyond! :)

Room Tip: We were in block 4 which was close to everything. We had an ocean-view, but couldn't see much of...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FamilyHarmony
Brentwood, Tennessee
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This was our first time with a Sandals couples only resort. We normally go to Beaches Turks and Cacios. This was our 20 year wedding anniversary so decided to do couples only. We were not disappointed at all!! First off the staff was great. We saw the butler supervisor Satar and we knew him from Beaches Turks and Caicos resort. I was so happy to see him because he has always been so great to us. He is always there to please and make sure your visit is the best. He found out that it was our 20th year wedding anniversary and totally took care of us!! Thanks so much Satar for making our anniversary so special. He is one of the reasons we continue to come to Sandals resorts.Thanks so much to all the Butlers for making our trip so special.We had beautiful weather and entire resort is so well maintained. The golf course has breathtaking views. Make sure you make reservations for the French and Italian restaurant when you first arrive. The resort was so relaxing. We liked the bigger pool because they did activities and played music. I really can't say enough about this resort. It's a must see

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela M
SandalsCares, Manager at Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Thank you for the kind review. We are so pleased to have exceeded your expectations. Hope to see you soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We are returning Sandals customers having been to Negril twice, White House, and Emerald Bay. The score is deserved for a range of things that were great and a range of things that were poor. The positives, I loved the room, the huge shower, Butler service, the beach, secure feeling, and the pool-side and beach-side service. For active mid-40-year-olds who wanted a relaxing, romantic vacation away, it was great to simply relax and have the butlers stop by if we wanted anything (we only called them for restock of my diet Coke fix as they give two and I need about six per day). They give you a cell phone and a cooler to take to the beach or pool. The butlers also bring you nachos, fruit, surprises by the pool. Bar service walks around with fruit and drinks on the beach, which was refreshing. The food in the restaurants was good, not tremendously gourmet fare, but a little different from what I might typically get at standard restaurants at home. I am a walker and find this property to be a great one for walking. I also enjoyed tennis on the clay courts and the exercise bikes in the gym. They had little specials at Red Lane Spa, such as a foot scrub that was free, which was a nice change of pace and I felt absolutely no pressure to buy something, which I did not.

The view is beautiful. I highely encourage a tour around the golf course even if you do not play golf, which I do not. The beauty is breathtaking. As returning guests, we had a cocktail party out on the point and it is the location where they tape some of the Wheel of Fortune shots during Sandals week.

Now, the negatives ... activities really slow down after about 9:00 p.m. Now, like I said we are active mid-40-year-olds so we can take it or leave it. However, on a couple of occassions were were at the "game shows" and there were only three of four couples. It could have been the time of year, too. I am sure during peak honeymoon times (June, September, etc.) the younger folks are there tearing up the dance floors. When we were there, it was a couple, their friend, me and my husband dancing to LMFAO, which you hear along with Black Eyed Peas quite a bit.

My husband went prepared to SCUBA as did a vacation buddy and his girlfriend all the way from England. They were quite disappointed as the trips were cancelled quite a bit due to choppy water or broken boat or some other reason during our nine days and their 14 days. My husband was fine just sitting by the pool, but the other couple who planned trips around SCUBA was quite miffed. Sandals should have a rating scale or something to educate potential travelers who want to participate in specific activities that they promote. Also, for SCUBA and snorkeling they take you off-site to the marina and leave from there while the other properties, such as Negril and White House the boats leave from there. Also, the weather prevented ALL of the water sports due to wind and choppy water for almost the entire week -- I love the catamaran and paddle boards.

I am extremely disappointed -- so much so that I did not book a Soon Come Back during this trip, though there was one I considered. You see, when we originally booked ALL rooms were butler suites at ALL categories. The promo about Soon Come Back with a flexbile date was that you could change your date and I think your room. Anyway, work schedule prevented me from going exactly when we originally booked, I needed to move ahead a week or at least a few days. Actually, the time appeared to be less popular than original week, which was Thanksgiving. My husband, unbeknownst to me, paid $700 more dollars for a lesser room, THEN we got a special e-mails with advertising the same room for LESS than the original reservation. After calling numerous times, the only thing we got was an "upgrade" to the butler room, which as mentioned was included when we originally booked!!! The property was not full and our butlers said they had four couples to butler for when they usually have about 14. So, the property was clearly not overbooked to warrant the extra charge. Definitely what I expect from Sandals corporate, which is who I fault for this.

The grounds crew were often running about in golf carts. I thought it might be a seasonal thing, but noticed another review mentioned this. The island did suffer damage within the last year due to a hurricane, thus I am hoping all the work is repairing that damage.

The service was great and the hospitality of the Bahamian people is wonderful. I love the cleanliness of the island and the Emerald Bay property. They do have lots of cats on the property and at the dining patios, which I did not care for, though they don't bother you or rub against you. The butlers were very accommodating eventhough we chose not to really use them, they seemed generally interested in wanting to be used. They often found ways to be of service and I often came to the room with awesome baths run with flower petals all about. We did order room service some, which was relaxing.

All in all, a great place, though Sandals does need to make some adjustments.

Room Tip: I liked our room in building 7 which gave us a beach view and walkout without the sand.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank TarheelZee
Greenfield
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We decided to travel to the Carribean to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. We have never been to the Carribean and decided we wanted an all-inclusive couples resort. We had no idea where to start as there are so many different islands and resorts in the Carribean to choose from. I decided to try a travel agency to help us sort through all of our different options. While searching on the internet, I found Beach Bum Vacations and was put in contact with Mindy. Mindy was great!!! She made great recommendations and answered all of our many questions. We decided a Sandals resort was the best fit for us.

Now the hard part, there are multiple Sandals resorts all over the Carribean and for someone who has never been to the Carribean we really relied on our Beach Bum vacation specialist Mindy to guide us in the right direction. Boy did she ever! We decided on Sandals Emerald Bay as we liked that the resort was secluded and away from all the hustle and bustle. We arrived on Thursday, March 1st in the late afternoon and were immediately greeted with Champaign and a cold towel. We were checked into our room which was an ocean view room in Bay House building number 5 on the second floor. The view was great and was really more of a suite than a room and this was one of the less expensive rooms. I would love to see what the higher cost rooms look like:).

We explored the beach, pools, restaurants and grounds. The resort landscaping was absolutely immaculate, the food and restaurants were great, and the beach and water was just breathtaking. Huge beach with white sand and awesome blue water!!! There was a quiet pool which we didn't spend much time at as we liked the activities at the main pool. Sandals does a very good job with the entertainment and tries to make sure everyone is having a wonderful time. There isn't a whole lot to do outside of the resort(unless you're a big suba diver) but that is exactly what we wanted......total relaxation!

The only complaint I have is that we should have stayed longer. (we only stayed 4 days) It was the most relaxing trip we have ever been on and a perfect pick for our first visit to the Carribean. If you are looking for relaxation, great food, and beautiful surroundings then Sandals Emerald Bay is the place for you and I would recommend Beach Bum Vacations to anyone who needs assistance on their travel plans.

Room Tip: If you want a room where you don't have to do much walking then see if you can get a room in the...
6 Thank timmyhuh
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Sandals Emerald bay during the last week in March. This is the third Sandals we have been to. The others include Sandals Royal Bahamian and Sandals LaToc.

Our flight onto the island arrived at approximately noon. We were in our room by 1:30pm and our luggage was right behind us - so no problem for an early Friday check-in. We were in room 3210 during our stay. This is an oceanview room, without butler service. The room was gorgeous, despite the fact that it's still a 'cheap' room, with an ocean view. The bathroom had 2 sinks in an enormous vanity, a separate large soaking tub with a shower head, and a separate shower. Very comfortable bed! We had a patio. Our room was in a great location because it was located right next to the main building where the check-in desk is. We had little walking around to do in order to get anywhere, including the spa (which was right behind our building), the pool, dinner, etc. Housekeeping did a great job in our room during the day while we were out relaxing and even did a freshening up of the room in the evening while we were at dinner. An itinerary of the next day's events were left on the bed as well. We could hear all of the entertainment at the pool in the evening and at the bandstand, which was directly in front of our building.

The resort is gorgeous, of course! The grounds are green and lush. The beach is beautiful! It is the largest beach of the 3 properties we have been to. You can definitely get a good walk in on the beach. While we were visiting, the temperature was in the 70s at night and low 80s during the day, with a breeze. In the shade by the pool, or under an umbrella on the beach, I found myself a little cool at times, but 5 minutes out of the shade and it's time for a dip in the water! The main pool was quite cold and it took a few minutes to get used to the temperature. The beach was warmer (in my opinion) than the main pool, but it also took a minute to adjust. We did not go to the quiet pool because we enjoyed the activity near the main pool.

We had a couples massage at the spa. It was a great massage - very relaxing! The spa facility is also lovely and all the ladies are very sweet. There is a steam shower that you can use any time as well as a dipping pool, which my husband used, but I did not. There are shower facilities you can use to get cleaned up as well as a few toiletries, such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and deodorant. I'll skip ahead a little to say that on the day of our check-out, our flight was at 5:15pm, so we did not leave the resort until 3pm. We were able to use the shower in the spa and store the clothes we were to wear that afternoon in the spa lockers. So go ahead and take the later flight!!

The food was pretty good - no complaints, but no rave reviews either. The dessert bar at the Italian restaurant was nice. We could have skipped the French restaurant. To us, the restaurant seemed like an after thought as it is located on the front side of the main lobby, away from everything else. I personally thought this restaurant had the worst service (not that any service was bad) and we enjoyed our meal the least at this restaurant...and we didn't have 'French' food. Everything else was great. We frequently had breakfast at the buffet, as well as lunch on one occasion. The Barefoot by the Beach was a great option since you can just throw on your swimsuit coverup, or not, and go eat lunch. We enjoyed the Drunken Duck and the fish and chips. As far as dressing for dinner at the restaurants that require reservations, we saw people wearing anything from shorts to evening gowns, so as long as you are presentable, this isn't a problem.

Everyone is very sweet on the resort property. We learned to play shuffleboard, and bocce ball. A staff member taught us to play bocce ball, then watched us play a game, and took pictures. We actually played all of their outdoor games, including the large chess board, ping pong, croquet, and pool/billards. They have a game room with pool tables and a snooker table, which was hardly used from what we could tell. During the day by the pool, the staff did a great job of having activities. There was horseshoe, pool volleyball, beach volleyball, a couple's game, trivia, history lesson, pool exercise, etc. At night, the activities included opera by the pool, a saxophone player, a band at the bandstand, a piano bar sing along, and love songs with a chocolate buffet...yes, that's right! The first night there was also a street party that we didn't make it to. This is a quiet resort, but there was just enough for us to do and relax. We didn't leave the resort.

We played a round of golf together and my husband played an additional round. The course is amazing and if you play golf at all, definitely play here! Just be sure to bring some additional balls, although I'm proud to say that my husband lost more and he's an "80s" player. I made par on a hole!

We got up early for breakfast and we were usually at the pool quite early. One day we snagged a cabana - they are first come, first serve. It was nice to lay there during the day. We spent half our time by the pool and half by the beach. It's amazing that with such a beautiful beach that nobody wants to lay in front of it. I'd say only half of the beach was occupied, if that, during our time there.

We did not have butler service, as I already said, but we had no trouble at all getting drinks or enjoying ourselves...just in case someone is on the fence about a butler. Staff members came around during the day (by the pool) to offer drink service, take your empty glasses, offer watermelon, and ice cream. We enjoyed the beverage selections and noticed the good quality brands while we were there. The only drink I couldn't get at the pool was a mojito because they didn't have mint by the pool. I wanted a white russian one day and the gentleman working by the pool made a special trip to go get milk.

The visit to Sandals Emerald Bay has been our favorite up to this point and we will likely return, unless we decide to try a different Sandals. We are sorry we had to leave!!!

5 Thank happyvisitor_12
TIMMINS
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Beautiful sand to walk in! Does not seem to get too hot on the feet although this time of year we had a lot of seaweed on shore.

2 Thank sonoecho
#5 of 6 in Great Exuma
Augusta Bay Bahamas
Augusta Bay Bahamas
#1 of 2 in George Town

Been to Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!