“Exuma Cays Ocean Safari Tour”

Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - Bahamas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take a speedboat through the cays, visit the 007 Thunderball, or escape to your own private island and more! Island Routes is an independently-operated tour company that handpicks the best of the best things to do and see in the Caribbean. Come and experience fully-guided, one-of-a-kind adventure tours that utilize the most premium equipment, training, and safety standards in the industry! Island Routes is also a contributor and leader in understanding the importance of environmental and sustainable tourism. Currently operating tours in Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, St. Lucia, Antigua, Turks & Caicos, Cayman Islands, Grenada, Dominican Republic, St. Maarten and Aruba.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Kirkwood, Missouri, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Exuma Cays Ocean Safari Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

I took the morning tour on the 4-hour excursion in May 2012. The 35 ft Power Cat is perfect for going fast and slow through the Exuma Cays. We had no trouble finding shells piercing through the sand. Our captain and first mate kept us well informed and offered us soda, water, beer and cookies. The different colors of the water was breathtaking. We had several stops along the way. We fed grapes to the iguanas, saw celebrity homes, and new construction being built. We were not rushed when we stopped to snorkel in a nice reef which I give an average score.

2 Thank Carolyn B
IslandRoutes, Manager at Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - Bahamas, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We're thrilled to know that you enjoyed your Exuma Cays Ocean Safari Tour and elated to hear that our staff made the experience worth it. Thanks for booking with us! We can't wait to go on more adventures with you in the future.

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Lite tackle half day fishing tour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Im going to be as fair as I can, being that me and the group of guys that were with me are from the gulf coast and do a lot of fishing. We all own our own boats and all have gone on many guided fishing trips. I just wanted to be clear before I start my review so that people do not take this review as coming from someone who is complaining and expects to be treated like royalty and to be waited on hand and foot then go back to the trailer park on Monday! Our trip started out with Olie coming to pick us up from the the Sandals Lobby, one couple did not show up on time so he left and we headed out to fish. Well half way to the dock Olie gets a phone call from Island Routes and they ask Olie to come back and pick the couple up. No big deal we turn around and get them and head back out only to almost run out of gas in Olies taxi so we stop for gas fill the truck up and get gas for the boat that should have already been ready to go as soon as we get there. Also keep in mind all this is taking place during our allotted fishing time. And still no big deal because you would assume that the guide OLIE would just adjust the time and we would still get to fish for as along as we were supposed to....... WRONG!!! After we get to the dock he gases the boat up and 5 of us load up in the big boat which was in pretty poor condition. The other 2 people get in the very small boat which was used to bone fish and was really in poor condition. Finally we get out on the water and get about a half mile from where we left and started fishing. the guide had one box of squid for bait with about 8 squid in the box for 5 people. Ok common sense here we needed more bait! so we cut up the fish we caught and used that for bait. We caught a few fish and everything was going pretty good until my friends pole broke in half and the guide did not have a replacement except for this short little off shore shark pole, not a lite tackle rig at all. I am not complaining about the fishing part of this trip I fully understand fishing and that fishing is just that, Some days its chicken, the other its feathers. So approximately 2.5 hours later we head back to the dock at 4pm again keep in mind we did not cast our first line until 130. We did not keep any fish we gave them to olie and his guys to eat due to no ice being on the boat to put the fish on. They were throwing the fish into
+ a metal bucket with a little water in it. Okay so finally the trip from hell is over and we get back to sandals and take our complaint to the hotel manger Sonja and the island routes manager James both of which did everything they could to fix the issues we had. James refunded our money in full after getting approval from his supervisors in Jamaica. We were happy with that and booked another tour with island routes which was the half day Ocean Safari!!! if you are an experienced fisherman and you expect a guided trip like you get at home you are making a big mistake booking this tour! Stick with the other stuff and you will have a much better time. I don't know about you but 150 per person was a lot of money for 2.5 hours, I expected a lot more from island routes and Olie.

6 Thank Jason B
Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Half Day Eco Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

An absolutely fantastic tour for a very reasonable charge with 2 other couples booked through James at the tours center/ Sandals/Emerald Bay. Steven Cole, sixth generation Bahamian, was outstanding as our Captain guiding his 26ft. launch out of Georgetown harbor, through mangrove isles, the whitest and largest sandbar we have ever seen, great snorkling at Fowl Cay and truly excellent Conch salad at Chat & Chill"s on gorgeous Stocking Island. Steven is very knowledgeable, down to earth, honest and enjoyable Captain you will find in these parts. Wish you and your wife the very best and be sure to pet and feed our favorite Stingray!

1 Thank SteveFinAZ
Steve we're ecstatic that you enjoyed the Eco Tours with Island Routes and we are more delighted to know that our staff made the tour even more memorable. We will definitely let Steven know about your well wishes to him and his family and to pet and feed your favorite Stingray! Thanks for booking with us! We can't wait to go on more adventures with you in the future.

Angier
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Thunderball in the Exumas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

I never post anything, but I do read them! But for the Thunderball 007, it was the best excursion we've ever taken and it's worth writing about. It was absolutely beautiful and gives you a true feel for the Exumas. I was not disappointed about anything, it's amazing to see the iguanas, pigs (loved them) and even the sharks. Don't stay on the boat, get out and participate or you will miss the fun and beauty! It's something we will definitely do again.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Diane P
Diane we are so thrilled to hear that the 007 Thunderball Tour far exceeded your expectations. We are glad that you were able to not only see but experience the beauty of Exuma. Thanks for booking with us! We can't wait to go on more adventures with you in the future.

Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“If you are not staying at the Sandals, do NOT use them.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I take no satisfaction what so ever in writing this because the Island Routes staff at the Sandals bent over backwards to finally get me on the fishing trip, and the boat captain did an OK job on the trip, but A) the headquarters in Jamaica literally never forwarded my reservation to the Sandals in Exuma. I finally had to drive down to the resort with my receipt to get it straighted out B) despite what the website said about needing to get yourself to the Sandals, the rep who called me to confirm insisted that they were going to drive to my hotel to pick me up. They NEVER do this. C) The Bahamin Light Tackle Fishing trip that the advertise on their website turned out to be a simple 4 hour bottom fishing trip. I didn't argue this becuase it was described accurately to the other patrons who were staying at the Sandals, but I'm going to demand a refund from Island routes. They basically ruined 1/2 of my trip to Exuma with this misinformation as I could have easily found a real bonefishing trip through my hotel.

Visited April 2012