“Exuma Palms Hotel was perfect fur us!”
Review of Exuma Palms Hotel

Exuma Palms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Exuma Palms hotel. We loved the private beach and found incredible snorkeling, just steps out the door. The staff was helpful and caring, Ben and Clare directed us with ideas, directions, and phoned in a favor or two. The rooms were clean with microwaves and refrigerators. We spent most of our time exploring the island, and didn't need the hotel to offer every service and amenity, just a comfortable place to settle in at night. Thanks so much to our new friends Ben and Clare, we wouldn't hesitate to come back!
*alissa

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Ducksfly2gether

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Exuma Palms Hotel for one night as an extension to our trip. Travel was long to the Bahamas and we were looking for a nice place to spend the night and start our vacation! The Exuma Palms hotel did not disappoint. Let me start by saying this is not a luxury hotel by any means but that should not stop you from visiting! The room is clean and has everything you will need for your stay (refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave). The bed was pretty comfortable and the view was amazing! Its worth it for the view alone. There are 12 rooms which all face the beautiful ocean. You can go to bed hearing the sounds of the waves and lay in bed in the morning while seeing the view. Each room has a balcony also. You can't get a better deal anywhere else on the island! I searched a while before selecting this hotel because I wanted a decent rate and nice place. All the reviews of this hotel were very accurate. Ben and Clare are excellent hosts! We received five star service for our one night stay. Ben sent a taxi to the airport for us who was waiting upon our arrival. I had forgotten I requested it when I booked the hotel. We requested a late checkout because we were checking into sandals at 3 the next day; Clare allowed us to check out late so we were able to enjoy breakfast and the beach the next day! Ben is an excellent cook! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the food. We had a slight problem with our room and Clare arranged for us to get another room within five minutes! Ben and Clare really add the special touch to your trip to make it memorable. They provide island tips and even offered us to use their kayaks after we checked out. Who does that? The beach is beautiful, peaceful and quiet. My husband and I don't like big crowds so we loved swimming with no one else around. Our only regret was that we weren't able to spend more time at this hotel! We will definitely return in the future for a longer stay. Thank you Ben and Clare for an excellent add on to our vacation!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view but ask for a second level room as you will get a better view of the ocean
1  Thank Tareemike
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Ben and Clare are a wonderful host and hostess. The room was clean and very comfortable. Staff friendly and considerate. Ben is a great chef and both Ben and Clare are ready to accommodate your needs whether you need a rental car, restaurant recommendations or suggestions on area attractions. There are only 12 rooms, so guests get to know each other fairly quickly and it is so nice to meet others from around the world. Although if you choose to stay secluded that works too. We basically had the beach for ourselves. No crowds ever! It is truly a paradise vacation.

3  Thank BrookhavenVol
Reviewed July 26, 2013

First, let me note that the reviews for this are right on the money. This place is nothing fancy, but if you can't have an amazing experience while staying at Exuma Palms, you probably will not have a good experience anywhere on the Island. During check-in, we were walked to our room and given a tour of the room and the beach area. The views are the reason why you come to this location and they will not disappoint. We stayed five nights with a Living Social voucher, an amazing value. The customer service extended by Ben, Clare, and the staff is second to none. For example, my girlfriend asked for some rope to repair the hammock and Ben immediately replaced the entire hammock. Clare helped us reserve a tour to see the swimming pigs, etc...and she even got up really early to prepare us coffee. The food offered up by Ben was the best we had during our stay on Exuma. The Mexican night and Sunday BBQ was great!! Overall, if you are looking for a peaceful and pressure free vacation, choose Exuma Island and Exuma Palms. Considering our experiences on this vacation, a return to the Bahamas will certainly mean a return to Exuma and Exuma Palms!!

Ben and Clare--Thank You

Jason and Sangeetha

1  Thank mjreed
Reviewed July 16, 2013

As many other reviewers have stated, Exuma Palms is charming. The old adage, "Don't judge a book by it's cover," is appropriate. The front area of the building is in transition, undergoing improvements. Don't let this influence your first impression too much. Check-in was easy. Ben was kind enough to lug my suitcase up to the lizard room. He gave me a quick overview of the area, the three sisters rocks, and Tom. You'll have to visit to find out who Tom is! He's very entertaining. Also, Rovella, the chief of security, is sweet and protective. She might even join you under your beach umbrella to cool off while she monitors the area. :)

The top floor rooms have plant or animal icons on the doors instead of numbers. As i said, my room was the lizard. There were NO lizards in my room! It was painted a buttery yellow with a neat, pickled wooden ceiling. There were crisp, white goose down duvets on the beds that gave the room a fresh and cozy feel. There was a tall, dorm type fridge and a microwave in the room.Very convenient for snacking reheating delicious leftovers from the wonderful restaurant. The room also has a small table and two chairs for dining in your room. The balcony overlooks the beautiful Three Sisters Beach. It has two chairs and a small table. Swaying palms and soothing waves will make you want to stay there for hours listening to those waves!

One impression that stands out for me is the camaraderie that is possible while staying at Exuma Palms. If you're standoffish, that's fine. You'll be left alone. If you're outgoing, you'll meet wonderful people. Your level of involvement is up to you. Ben and Clare certainly are the catalysts that make either of those happen. I thought of my experience as being like summer camp for adults. It's not just a place to sleep; it's a place to build friendships and have fun in a gorgeous setting. There were some fun conversations on the beach and while dining. Memories... Great memories!

Here are a few bits of information that I think future travelers would want to know:

1. The rooms do not have safes in them. This wasn't a big problem, as I felt completely safe as a solo, female traveler, but it would have been nice to secure some items. This is very likely on their to do list for the future.
2. There were no beach umbrellas. They had been taken down due to seasonal beach erosion. No worries; there was plenty of wonderful beach to enjoy! I had checked on this before leaving, and I ordered a portable beach umbrella. It was a skin saver, because that Bahamian sun can be quite intense. If you google "portable beach umbrella" you'll find the one that I ordered for $40 USD. It breaks down to a mere 24 inches and has its own carrying bag. Money well spent! It fit in my suitcase.
3. There are several beach loungers available.
4. The hotel also provides nice, big beach towels. Just ask at the front desk.
5. Maid service is daily, and Ideana does a fantastic job! My room was spotless!
6. If you need directions, ask Ben; He gives spot-on directions and advice on which beaches are best to visit.
7. Renting a car is a must so that you can see other parts of the island. Airport Rental is the company that I used. They will deliver the car, which is fabulous. Ben set this up for me in about five minutes. At the time of my visit, the charge was $70 USD (cash) or $74 with credit card.
8. Some excursion companies will pick you up at the hotel; the one I checked with charged a $20 fee. I think others do it for free.
9. Exuma Palms is about a 20 minute drive from George Town. Be advised that the main loop through town is one way. If you're going to Stocking Island, turn at the straw market and you'll see the dock for the water taxi. The water taxi is blue and yellow.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Raleigh1961
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We met Ben and Clare last year on our trip to Exuma. We thought they were so great that we came back to Exuma this year, just because we wanted to stay with them. We have never done the same vacation 2 years in a row before.
We were not disappointed . They just go above and beyond the call of duty 24 hours a day to make sure all their guests are happy. They are so personable that they make you feel like family. The fact that they have worked in the hospitality business throughout their life's is very apparent.
The work they have accomplished on the building in one year is very impressive.
The rooms are not fancy, but clean and quaint with an excellent view of the ocean. The beach is our favorite on the island. There is a beautiful reef there for snorkeling too if you have fins and are a decent swimmer. Recently they added kayaks for guest to use which is a very nice touch.
When we are on vacation we love to meet new people and get a true feeling of the culture. If you go here you will meet the nicest people ever, travelers and locals alike. Exuma in general is a great place for that, but we always meet the most interesting people at the Palms.this a great place to go to get a genuine Exuma experience. It is also a great value and the place is getting better and better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skidoolie
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

It was difficult to ignore some of the nasty comments and pictures people had posted about Exuma Palms, but we decided to give the hotel a chance anyway -- and I'm really glad we did. My first impression wasn't the best: check in was a little disorganized, the keychain for our room was broken, the bathroom wasn't like the Hyatt, but once I stepped onto the balcony and saw the turquoise blue waters, all perspective came into focus. I wasn't at the Hyatt. Or at Sandals. I was at a small, beachside hotel on a small island, an island that doesn't have a Target if you need to go out and buy a new shower curtain or keychain. So I looked at the room with new eyes. The beds had goose-down comforters and feather pillows; there was a ceiling fan and an air conditioner (the latter we used only at night as the fan and the open sliding glass door kept it plenty cool in the room); we had a flat-screen TV, a microwave, and a refrigerator; and unlike the Hyatt, we had free wifi. But beyond all of that, there was the view, the swaying palm trees, the white-capped waves on the teal sea. Who cared about the room? I stayed on the balcony most of the time I was at the hotel.

The beach was steps away, though during our visit the waves were a little rough. Still, rough waves in blue waters are better than work. The sand was clean, and the hotel had kayaks (fun!) and plenty of lounge chairs.

The on-site restaurant was outstanding (I reviewed it separately), and my husband said the rum punch from the bar was also quite good. Ben and Clare, the hard-working folks who own and manage and do pretty much everything at the hotel, are great people. It seems everyone on the island knows them. If I mentioned where I was staying, I would immediately hear, "oh yeah! Hey! Tell Ben and Clare I said hello!" Or "Ben and Clare... Good people!" You can't buy that kind of advertisement.

Clare took care of arranging an excellent boat tour for us with Coastline Adventures (reviewed separately); she arranged for our car rental (and even made sure we weren't overcharged); and she made sure we had breakfast when we had to leave extra early one morning.

Now, some issues: As mentioned before, we lived on the balcony when we were at the hotel. However, the woman next to us was a smoker, and the wind was coming from her direction, thereby covering us in smoke every 30 minutes or so. Our suggestion would be to put the "smoking balconies" at the far end of the hotel so that problem could be avoided.

Another issue was the hammocks. With the hotel so close to the Tropic of Cancer, guests really need a shady place to relax that's closer to the beach (Bali beds?). The balconies are good, but it's nice to be even closer to the water.

As a whole, Exuma Palms is a great hotel, and if we were to return to the island we would stay there again. The location is central, the beach view is spectacular, and the restaurant is outstanding. My first three nights there I actually slept a full eight hours. Any place that can coax that kind of relaxation out of me deserves my highest praise.

• Stayed: July 2013
#1 of 2 in George Town
Augusta Bay Bahamas
Augusta Bay Bahamas
#1 of 4 in George Town

Been to Exuma Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!