“5 Star Meals on a Beautiful Beach”
Review of Exuma Palms Hotel

Exuma Palms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Want to get away from the crowds but be treated to excellent cuisine? Look no further than the Exuma Palms Hotel on Great Exuma Island in the Bahamas.

We stopped in at the end of a sailing trip and received the royal treatment from our hosts Ben and Clare. Fantastic meals and very comfortable beds. Microwave and refrigerator in every room.

Extremely good value with a beautiful view.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Don't bother looking anywhere else if you're vacationing in Great Exuma! My fiance and I don't like staying at the big resorts because they don't often represent the real vibe of an area. This hotel is affordable, clean, and in a perfect location. Ben and Claire come from the highest level of service and have carried their skills over into the hotel. They have a different dinner theme every night which is deliciously prepared by Ben himself! Claire oversees the service so you know you'll be taken care of! They are very knowledgeable about the island and will make sure you get the best bang for your buck! **I would recommend booking with them directly and not through booking.com as it will be cheaper for you!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was meeting a friend at Sandals Emerald Bay for the remainder of the week but due to challenges finding flights with reasonable layovers I decided to arrive a day early. As such I needed a place to stay for that night. After some research I decided on Exuma Palms Hotel. The flight with Bahamas Air was less than stellar, but my mood completely changed upon arriving to this quaint destination (cab rie $10-12 UDS). I was greeted by Claire who even helped me lug my huge suitcase to my room on the second floor all the way on the end! She gave me an overview of the room and hotel, told me that the bar was open and dinner would be at 7 PM (Mexican night yumm)!

I got settled took in the view and headed out to the beach. Even though there was a slight overcast I took in every moment just until dinner started. Got some amazing pictures and because this beach is basically private I was one of a few people out there. Per the other reviews there is a super friendly local "hotel" dog who after about 2 minutes of encouragement came over and we had a mini photo shoot and played in the sand. Between the sound of the ocean on the beach, the seen and the weather it was a great evening. I proceeded inside and since it was Mexican night ordered a margarita which was great and moderately priced. The dinner started with an appetizer of chips and roasted pepper salsa which I DEVOURED (literally, I had 3 it was that good)! Next up was a salad and steak/chicken fajitas which were also great! I ended up taking the rest of the dinner "to go" since I had a fridge and microwave in the room (the chicken was seasoned to perfection). I was tempted to go back downstairs but I had work to do so the free wi-fi was great! The next AM I spent some time on the beach, had breakfast also cooked by Chef Ben. Then I packed up to meet my cab in order to meet my friend.

If you want a low-key Bahamas experience with some of the best food around (from what I hear) Exuma Palms is the place to go. You can tell Ben and Claire care about their guests and do everything to make their experience (however brief) enjoyable.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms probably have the best views of the beach.
2  Thank Nisha B
Reviewed May 20, 2013

the best - perfect location, best sea view ever! food excellent - couldn't have been more welcome - everything was fantastic! thoroughly recommend! ; ) it is great value for money with a great laid back feel - while I was there everyone loved it...

Room Tip: ..they've all got great views...
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Exuma Palms Hotel oozes relaxation, calm, care, beauty. I've spent the past 4 days at the Exuma Palms Hotel and have loved every minute. The Hotel is clean, accommodating, easy to access, relatively inexpensive... charming. I came to get away and spend time to myself... little did I know I'd meet some wonderful new friends, both local and travelers, and still manage to find alone time. Clare (proprietor) is warm, generous with her time and goes out of her way to make sure each patron is enjoying their time at The Palms as they envisioned. The hotel has 12 rooms, making it large enough to find a dinner companion if you so desire, yet small enough to be lost in yourself if that too is your desire. The beach is beautiful... white sands... translucent waters.... all are included in the view of my 2nd floor deck.

1  Thank CKMwindsor
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in April. The first room we were given had an air conditioner that was noisy so we asked to change it for another one which the owner, Ben, gave us. Do not expect to arrive at a luxurious hotel or something like that, although it is a comfortable and basic beach hotel. The hotel has 12 rooms with a spectacular ocean view. The beds are comfortable and the rooms have a microwave oven and refrigerator, but no cups, glasses and dishes available in them. The rooms do not have a telephone but there's one at the reception that can be used. Breakfast was not included but we think it might have been, despite this we ordered one that was pretty good but a bit pricey. The beach is beautiful but it's pretty sloppy. The reception, the lobby and the restaurant does not have air conditioning. The hotel staff is small and the hotel in our opinion requires an investment. Ben treated us well and gave us a free drink on the first day.
In conclusion Exuma Palms is a basic beach hotel for someone who does not expect too many luxuries.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Bkwei
Ben D, Owner at Exuma Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Hey Guys!

First off thanks so much for your honest and frank review, we really appreciate it, and it helps us build.
You are right, and we don't want anyone to expect anything more, we are no fabulous exclusive resort, we are pretty simple, but clean and what we lack in amenities, we make up in customer service. We are working on the place all the time, every day something happens, we repaint a room, or build some more outdoor living spaces, we clean we organize and we decorate. Since your stay every bed has been changed to summer goose down duvet with white linens and goose down pillows.
To keep our price low on a very expensive island, we don't include breakfast, but unlike down here we dont add any charges, no taxes or anything else. We decided to make a nice breakfast menu and charge, not make a simple cost effective breakfast and include it. We were short staffed and didn't have someone raking the beach regularly, but do now, apologies. Thanks so much and safe travels guys!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We recently had a delightful six night stay at the Exuma Palms Hotel with our son and daughter-in-law and our toddler grandson, and it was terrific. Ben and Claire are wonderful hosts and went way beyond what was necessary to make our stay special, including having a like-new crib waiting for our grandson and preparing us a delicious lunch on Easter Monday when the restaurant was technically closed and the wait staff were on holiday. They have been running the hotel for about a year and are gradually improving all the facilities, and are doing a good job of it. The rooms are clean and comfortable and they are gradually adding new duvets. The food was amazing, the site is incredible, and their advice about what to do and see was right-on. The hotel is on a half mile beach, just next to the Three Sisters Rocks, with turquoise water changing color by the hour and pristine white sand in which yours can be the only footprints! I don't think you can overstate the beauty of the beach; it is the finest beach we have seen anywhere, and it is totally UN-crowded. We had breakfast and dinner there daily, and ate at a different place each day for lunch (Ben gave great advice on that score also). They had live music two evenings during our stay; very pleasant to listen and dance to, and not so loud you couldn't talk. If you're looking for "fancy", go elsewhere, but if you're looking for quality food, great service, friendly people and a real "Bahamas experience", this is the place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the ocean side, but the second floor views are probably a little better. Don...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KathyNinMD

Hey Kathy!
You guys were absolutely great, such a lovely family! We enjoyed having you guys here! You're quite right, we're simple but do offer a legitimate "Bahamian Experience" and do our best to keep our guests happy and busy when they want, and chilled out when required!
The beaches are even quieter now, and the rainy season is greening our grass and creating wonderful mornings, with great colours each day!
See you soon!

Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Hideaways at Palm Bay
Hideaways at Palm Bay
#1 of 3 in George Town

Been to Exuma Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!