All reviewsclose to the airportbeautiful beachpig islandexumaoceanbeacheshammocksgeorgetownparadiseconch
Reviewed August 15, 2012

First, I have to tell everyone that I did not stay at this hotel! I did, however, meet the kind owners and had several meals at their restaurant...so, this is more a review of the location and exterior amenities. We found Exuma Palsm purely by accident and at the time the new owners had just begun making improvements to the hotel and restaurant.

The hotel is located on the main road in Exuma, which is relatively quiet. It looks like it's been there a long, long time (which is part of the charm and also part of the reason it's on a superior beach). The hotel faces Three Sisters Beach and has a walkway down to the beach of a few steps...it is really right on the beach. The beach is named for the beautiful rock formations in the oceans there. The restaurant is nice, several tables and a small bar that seats about 15 or so inside as well. There are nice tables with umbrellas outside. The food we had was always really, really good. Dinners took longer (but were always worth the wait). Breakfast was fresh and tasty. We went for dinner one night and the place got bombarded with happy hour - which made for a longer dinner, but again, it was a fun wait.

The owners are lovely and went out of their way to get to know us. We wish them both much success and I have no doubt that once they smooth out the old wrinkles of this place it's going to be super. From what I saw, the rooms looked clean and maintained.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family and I took a vacation to Exuma. We are Bahamians living in Nassau, Bahamas. We looked online for a hotel in Exuma chose to stay at the Exuma Palms Hotel. based on the general reviews. This was our very first trip to Exuma and we were really excited. On line the rates were $120 p/n. We called the hotel and the Manager (Ben) told me that the rates would be $150 p/n because of the Rolleville Regatta which was taking place during that period we booked (Aug 3rd to 7th). That was no problem. He, on his own said he would have included breakfast. I was quite pleased with that gesture. When I fully decided to book I telephoned and paid the deposit and asked him to confirm via email that breakfast was included. I received the email confirming the inclusion of breakfast together with acknowledgment of receipt of my deposit. When we checked in, Ben seemed to have "forgotten" about the breakfast arrangement, but somehow his memory came back. We went down to have breakfast the following morning and asked for Ben, just to say hi and offer some small friendly talk and to ask some questions regarding the island. Ben never came out from where ever he was to great or speak to us. His partner/co-manager walked up and down past our breakfast table and did not acknowledge us- she never said good morning or how are you guys - absolutely nothing, we felt as if we were invisible. Needless to say that was a very "cold" experience. We were more than happy to pay for our breakfast at that point which we were always in a position to do as we never were looking for anything "free" during our booking this hotel. An offer was made to us! For our entire trip Ben seemed to purposely avoid us and never made himself available to us. Its unfortunate for such a small intimate resort. We were indeed tourist, though Bahamians, this was our first visit to Exuma. We enjoyed our trip to Exuma and will be back, though not at Exuma Palms. For us they atmosphere was not warm and friendly as we thought it would have been based on the reviews. The location is beautiful. The rooms are average and the maid cleaning is excellent. The food is pretty good. Just make sure you don't receive any empty promises.

Room Tip: No pool and no fitness center
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank PCee781
Ben D, Manager at Exuma Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Sir, Madam, I take it you were room 7? We are very upset that you were unhappy with our service. We do pride ourselves with our hospitality, we always to go the extra mile for our guests, and at check it I found you to a very pleasant family, and really looked forward to the weekend with you. Obviously the Rolleville Regatta is our busiest weekend, and sets this side of the island up for the very slow summer months. That weekend was very busy and everyone checked in on the same day, I apologize for forgetting about including breakfast for you guys, it's not our policy, I told my waitress to look out for you, and to ensure that your were not charged. If you had asked for me, and I didn't come out, I must have been very busy cooking in the kitchen or out procuring food or beverages for the busy evenings, and do apologize profusely! I do hope you can give us another shot, we would give you a great deal, and assure that you will be happy next time! Thanks again for coming, and all the best to you and your family.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

7/11/12-7/19/12 We made the right choice. We were unexpectedly met at the Georgetown airport by a taxi driver bearing a sign with our names on it. At the hotel we were greeted by the Manager, Ben. Our room had a chilled bottle of sparkling wine and fresh flowers. The rooms are similar to a decent US hotel chain. 2 x queen beds (quality linens) coffee maker(bring your own coffee and #2 basket filters), mini-fridge, a/c, flat panel tv with miami-based cable and a smal bathroom with walk-in shower, no tub. The most used part of the room turned out to be the ocean front patio(all 12 rooms have the same stunning view of Three Sisters and the aqua water). We had our coffee there and spent time listening to the ocean in the evenings. The lobby/bar/restaurant area is a bright open lively spot popular with locals during happy hour and the three themed music nights during our stay. On two nights there was a live band playing authentic 'rake and scrape' music in the outside courtyard next to the beach and on another night there was a dj playing oldies, billed as 'Old School Night' but actually turned out to be mostly 80's pop music. The taped music played during other nights when we were dining was more our pace(and volume). The food varied from decent to excellent. We ate breakfast on 3 occasions and one morning the bacon was undercooked. we really enjoyed the dinner selections..a fine ceasar salad with large grilled shrimp and a delicious NY Steak were standouts. The personal touches you get from a boutique sized place ran by people who are around all the time is what elevates the experience overall. I had mentioned a favourite Rum one evening, the next night it was available behind the bar. Ben and his partner Clare helped negotiate a superb boat trip and were always on hand with tips on thing to do and places to see. There is a well-stocked grocery store 1/2 mile north on the highway that allowed us to stock our fridge with soft drinks, milk and local beer more conveniently than the Georgetown options. The power went out briefly on a couple of oocasions and we were up and around before the kitchen was open (7am-7:30am as a rule) one morning, but they were willing to cook the full menu late into the evening which was a life saver after a full beach day followed by a nap. This is an older property going through updates and improvements from the new management, not a 5 star resort, but with the great rates, central location and personal touches it's was a great find for us.

Room Tip: It's two stories with stairs to the upper rooms which have a better view of the Three Sisters rocks. The ground floor rooms have an open-front patio so you could use the arcadia door for easier access to the beach and restaurant. Overall I'd say rooms are about equal value.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank travlin_50s_couple
Ben D, Manager at Exuma Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

It was an absolute pleasure to host you both! Thank you very much for staying with us, and giving us the benefit of your doubt. We hope you come back at some stage, we'll be freshly painted, make the balconies even nicer and open earlier to cater for our early risers.

Our Oldies Night is in its infancy, Clare is adamant on focusing on real oldies, we don't want what she calls "English Wedding music!"

Thank you for the review, All the best, and talk soon

Ben

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I did not actually stay at the Exuma Palms but, when our rental didn't pan out the way we expected, we spent a lot of time there. Ben and Clare went out of their way every day to make our stay better. They did everything they could including making special drinks for me for happy hour because of my food allergies, they substituted excellent vegetarian food as specials for me. On BBQ night they made us a full coarse vegetarian meal just so we would come. They even let us use their freezer because the fridge in our rental was broken. We hung out at their beautiful restaurant every night of our stay and they made us feel like family.We had the time of our lives there meeting all kinds of interesting people and I will never stop recommending this place to anyone who will listen. Nice clean place, The best beach on the island,fun, live music great service and the nicest people that you would ever want to meet. What else can you ask for?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank skidoolie
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I just spent 1 week at Exuma Palms Hotel and I strongly recommend this place. Ben and Clare, the young and lovely couple who are managing the hotel just arrived 1 month ago, but the work they've done already is amazing.
The rooms have been fully renovated: bright and soft colors, AC, flatscreen TV, excellent beds, fridge and microwave (the only thing I can think, which would need some improvement is the low water pressure of the shower).
The food is delicious, fresh and cheap (try the conch linguini with garlic butter sauce). You can enjoy is a top quality BBQ + a live Bahamian band every Sunday evening, and happy hour most of the nights.
The beach in front of the hotel is one of the most beautiful that I've seen on the Island.
But more than everything, the atmosphere and the friendliness that you will find in this hotel are unique: smiley people; good music; helpful, nice and very efficient staff.
Ben and Clare really make the difference with their professionnalism, the quality of their work and their happiness. They will make you feel immediately like you are an old friend of them, and that's another reason which makes this place so hard to leave.
So hurry up to book some days in paradise !!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo