“Excellent”

Ocean Fox Cotton Bay
Ranked #5 of 19 Tours in Eleuthera
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean Fox Cotton Bay is a small, professional scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep sea fishing centre based at Davis Harbour Marina at the south end of beautiful Eleuthera, in the Bahamas. Our small size allows us to offer our clients a highly personalized level of service, so you can expect us to adapt to your needs as best we can, ensuring that our divers, snorkelers, fishermen or beach combers receive unhurried attention from our staff.
New Jersey
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went diving with Al (captain) & Darryl (divemaster) last week. The dive consisted of a wall dive followed by the "boiling hole" reef dive.

Having been a diver for nearly 30 years and having dived all over the Caribbean and US, i can say that i was very pleasantly surprised at the professionalism, quality of equipment, and overall condition of the reefs too.

My family and i are repeat visitors to Eleuthera and are used to the "out islands" way of doing things. So in a way that's what i was expecting ... but i couldnt have been further from the reality. Ocean fox stands up to the standards of a PADI establishment and exceeds operations that i have visited in much larger dive destinations such as Cozumel, Aruba, Grand Cayman, etc.

I will definitely be back diving with Ocean Fox next time I am in Eleuthera.

Edinburgh
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Diving made so easy”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Thanks Al and the team for a couple of great dives in Eleuthera. My daughter and I are irregular divers and Ocean Fox made everything so easy. Dive sites where he best we have ever been on for both interest and challenging fun. Thanks Al and the team

Cape Coral, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Nice owner but can't recommend”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We began our vacation in Eleuthera, Bahamas in the northern portion of the island. We dove with Ocean Fox two days (Thursday and Friday) to experience more of what the island has to offer.

Ocean Fox is a very small operation who does not take credit cards so you are forced to bring lots of cash. Our first experience was the other group with whom we were supposed to dive cancelled so Al increased our rate from $129 for a two tank dive to $170 to compensate for his loss in revenue. If you have your own gear like we did, you should have received the $129 rate. I find this practice very poor and indicative of an inexperienced business owner (I've been in business over 19 years and never pulled something like this before). That should have been a clue but we paid and Darrell took us to two great locations. Darrell let us do what we wanted (within no DC limits) so we enjoyed the experience.

Day two Al, takes us to the exact same spots! Ok, other operators have pulled this before so you learn to roll with it and the shallower of the two dives was worth going back to. However, after we all got in the water, the dive master swam out ahead of the group being led, turned around, and swam the return leg still ahead of the group again! At one point, the dive master was almost out of view so they were not really paying attention. We tend to dive at a slow pace in order to see more of what is in front of us but the pace set was not conducive to optimal viewing of the reef and small critters.

We had to back on the boat with more than half a tank after 30 minutes even though we were well within no DC dive limits. Most operators would allow you to stay around the boat/anchor line but we weren't given that option.

Dive two we were allowed to dive on our own which was more to our liking and experience.

The operation appears new and very inexperienced. There is no briefing about the boat/bot safety and not much of one about the dives. Water is on the boat but they fail to mention that. Overall, nice guy who should hire someone more suited to running a dive operation.

2 Thank Bill B
OceanFoxDiving, Owner at Ocean Fox Cotton Bay, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
On our website, it is clearly stated that the minimum to run a trip is 4 divers, if there is not 4 divers our option is to not run the trip or if we do you pay the $169/diver for the two tank dive even if you have your own equipment, which was explained to you before the dive. On day one it was just the two of you. We took you out, there was a Captain/Dive Master and a Mate on the boat. We do not make any money taking out two divers, but we took you out anyway.
On the second day, you did not confirm you were even going to dive; as i said the other family diving booked the trip well in advance of you and whoever books the trip first gets to pick the dive site. We dove Turtle Point, which you said you dove the day before but your wife said it was a different site.
Middleton, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Skip it if you're an experienced diver!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have given a great deal of consideration to this review, as I am never one to complain about diving. Lets face it, we all dive in order to relax and enjoy ourselves in the marine environment. My two dives with Ocean Fox were neither relaxing nor enjoyable. As an experienced diver, I tend to be pretty good with my air consumption, and I understand others may go through their air more quickly. Every other location I have dived, (and there are many), divers return to the mooring line when someone reaches 1/2 tank, and those with plenty of air left are instructed to "swim around the area". That only makes sense, you pay for a full tank of air, you should be allowed to use it, (and you pay a good bit more than the Caribbean average with OF). So I was very disappointed to return to the boat with just about 1/2 a tank on both dives! My dive buddy returned with more than half on the second dive. Let me return to the beginning of the journey: OF's pamphlet states, "As a general rule we carry no more than six divers....this ensures our divers receive unhurried attention from their dive guide and are able to observe the marine life at their own pace." NOTHING could be further from the truth. We had 8 divers aboard, (which is fine, that's still reasonable), but it felt like a Navy Seal exercise as we were shouted at and hurried in EVERY aspect of the dive. Hustled to gear up, get down, group up, (Al and Daryl both had bells that were being jingled constantly to make sure the group was bunched together). We did a fast swim to the wall edge, dropped over, dropped to 100' and quickly came right back up to the top of the wall, back across the sand field, and to the mooring line. It was ridiculous. After the foolishly quick rise up the wall my computer wanted me to make a deep stop at 48' for 2 min. We were at the mooring line and everyone else was at about 20', but I sat at around 50' watching my computer. "jingle jingle jingle!" There's Daryl, waving me up the line. Sorry Daryl, I'm not rushing my ascent for anyone! Second dive was not much better, hurry hurry, bunch up, back on the boat with 1500psi. I specifically went to Eleuthera for diving and I was REALLY disappointed that I only got to do two dives, but financially, it didn't make sense for me to continue with Ocean Fox. As an experienced diver I can tell you there are MANY better places to dive, where you will get a beautiful unhurried dive with plenty to see, and most likely at a better price. If you read the other negative review you will find it has much in common with mine. I'm sure if this had been my very first dives, the experience would have been almost ok, but for me it was very un-enjoyable. I too contacted Al to let him know I was not pleased and he offered nothing, and didn't seem to care. I got to speak with Al on the boat ride out to the site and he seems like a good guy, but the business has a LOT to learn and could improve by quite a bit. Bottom line - if you're an experienced diver, there are many better options than Eleuthera & Ocean Fox.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Tropictraveler11
Topeka, Kansas
“Excellent Experience! Small Numbers, Very Friendly!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I dove with Ocean Fox out of Davis Harbour, and found the experience extremely satisfying! Daryl was very Helpful, and made sure to speak with all the divers that trip to ensure there comfort level with the dives,( a wall dive to a depth of around 100, and a shark dive at the christmas tree) and i was extremely impressed with the owner Al. He introduced, himself on the dock and i was pleased to hear he was joining us on the dives as well. The boat ride was quick, the staff was pleasant, and Al took several videos and photos of the dive he was kind enough to send to me. Including a blog about the dive! I felt very confident diving with Al and Daryl. Also since Al has lived on the island for some time now, he was extremely helpful and well versed on were to go for good food and the like. I mentioned i was looking for some good Jerk chicken and he personally called a restaurant on the island to have the chef prepare some for us, just needed some advance notice. I would happily recommend Ocean Fox diving! (especially after the horror stories i heard about Valentines up north) Do not miss an opportunity to dive the south side of Eleuthera! It is spectacular!

Visited June 2013