“Bahamian Paradise at Lighthouse beach”
Review of Eleuthera Tours

Eleuthera Tours
Ranked #4 of 20 Tours in Eleuthera
More attraction details
Owner description: Come spend a day with us and fully experience Eleuthera from a native's viewpoint. We offer tours that get you out on the water so you can see beyond the beach... you can experience what it is to be Bahamian! Snorkel for conch - a sweet delicacy from the sea; fish with just a handline to catch some local favorites such as snapper, trigger, groupers; explore the sparkling crystal clear shallows around the shifting sandbars near deserted islands; savor a locally harvested meal freshly prepared and grilled on an open fire on the beach; snorkel beautiful reefs right off shore; explore remote lighthouses and sandstone cliffs; and enjoy a refreshing rum punch! This is a completely natural day in an unforgettable environment.
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bahamian Paradise at Lighthouse beach”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

If you are visiting Princess Cay or Eleuthera be sure not to miss this tour, it is for everyone. We were a group of ten all 60 plus and had a fantastic day. Our hosts Kristel and Donald were wonderful tour guides and shared with us a real Bahamian experience. The beach is the nicest we have ever seen and we had it all to ourselves! Lunch was plentiful and tap never ran dry of rum punch and lemonade. This was truly one of the best tours we have ever been on. Thank you Donald and Kristel for making it such a special day.

1 Thank Pam705

Camrose, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“The Real Bahamas - Do not miss!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Where do I start? First, my great apologies to Kristel and Donald, the owners of Eleuthera Tours. Somewhere along the lines I believed I had already reviewed their business. I believe this happens when you become so comfortable with these wonderful (and wonderfully genuine) people that you sort of forget that you are on a "tour". Let me back up the bus to explain first that my wife and I first went on a tour, the "Real Bahamian T'ing", in February of 2011. What a day. That first one grows brighter in my mind with each passing year. You start out as a customer, but we left as friends. That is one of the reasons why you will see "Kristel Kingston is friends with this reviewer" on so many of the reviews. It isn't because she was friends with them before the tour. It's because she and Donald become their friends during and after. And it's not for the return possibilitiies. She simply wants to make sure that you are happy, and have enjoyed yourself thoroughly. Anyway, back to the tour. First one we went on started out at the Cape on a beautiful morning. This was supposed to be a 5 hour tour or so. We went out, Kristel and Donald took my wife and I. We dove for Conch (don't want to embarrass Donald by telling you how many I got compared to him.......) Ok, I might have stretched that a bit.I had to paddle over to Donald after he picked up the first 8 and told him he was going to have to hand one to me under the water because it was getting embarassing, lol. He just laughed and helped me find some. Donald had to pretty much grab my head and direct my sight to the one of two that I got. The first one was about 15' down. No sweat, or so I thought. Second one he pointed out, I must have spent more energy on, because after I picked it up, dropped it, picked it up, cut my finger, dropped it, picked it up and looked up I thought to myself, "crap, I'm in trouble, I'm running out of oxygen here". I tried to remain calm. I must of looked like a chubby barracuda streaking for it's prey, except in this case I was streaking for air. I'm pretty sure I breached looking like a humpback whale. However, I tried to look nonchalant as I tossed it into the boat. A man has his pride to protect you know. It was a very cool experience, my conch diving abilities notwithstanding. Donald then taught us how to "hand line". He reeled in fish after fish after fish, using the slough from the conch bodies. Watching Donald fish was mesmerizing. This was a man who grew up on the sea. To get totally schmaltzy, he was one with it. There was a rhythm to the waves and to his smile and to his fishing that all had this poetry, this harmony. You want Bahamian? Spend a day with them. But that is just the start of this tour. I never caught anything hand lining, as I wasn't in tune with what the line or the fish were telling me. So Donald switched to rod and reel. He pulled in another few fish, then baited it again, handed it to me and within 10 seconds a fish struck. I pulled hard and fought like I was defending my castle. I landed a barracuda that was large. Donald then baited a double hook line, handed it to my wife, and within a minute my wife reeled in 2 (yup, one on each hook) rock hind (I think that was what they were called). Anyway, carrying on, we had a little motor trouble, and while in the cape marina I had a chance to slip over the side and snorkel with a nurse shark that frequents the marina along with a couple of her young. Great experience! We then went to 4th hole for the lunch and drinks that were delish (watch out for the rum punch, it can sneak up on a guy), and great snorkeling amongst beautiful coral in shallow, protected area. We spent much of the later afternoon talking, sharing, just loving the moment. I like to be reasonably active on vacation, but I couldn't even bear to pull myself away to go snorkeling again. I was afraid to miss something that was being shared. They let us in to their lives, their hopes, and their dreams. They helped us to see what the Bahamas truly are. To summarize, and believe me, I'm trying to be brief here, they said 5 hours. It ended up to be almost 11 hours before we got home. We met Kristels parents. They were kind and wonderful and engaging as well. As I type this, I look at the shell that Donald gave us before we left. It holds a place of great honour on our mantle here in our living room. I think of our time together and I smile often. It keeps me warm on these cold winter days. It tides me over until I can see my friends again, on those beautiful shores. They may be a business, but their my friends. They weren't that way when I booked the tour. But they became that. Oh, that and much more.

Note: This was a visit during February of 2011 as stated above, not the date that is noted as the options don't allow it to go back that far.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Robin C
Goose Creek, SC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“DO NOT MISS”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The wife and I decided to take a last minute excursion to the Schooner Cays, while visiting Lutra for a few days last summer. I reluctantly agreed to go, figured it would be some cheesy, touristy crap. I couldn't be more wrong. Donald, our guide and owner of the company, was amazing. He seriously made you feel very welcomed and almost like family. He loved to talk. Half the time I figured he was blowing hot air, but it was later confirmed, his stories were legit. If I ever get stuck on a deserted island, he's the one thing I want to bring. Think of him as the Lutra MacGuyver. We were out much longer than what we paid for, but he didn't charge us extra. He said, we would leave the cays, when we (as in us) were ready to go and didn't rush us at all. He cooked up some conch, chicken, peas and rice, veggies, and served it with punch. All were very good. We were having trouble paying with our PayPal, so he took us over to his house, so we could have online access to do it. While we were there, he gave us some of the fruit he grows, showed us around his house, got to meet his wife. You don't get that kind of service in most places. If you have the chance to do this, be like Nike and JUST DO IT!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Josh A
Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing Day at Lighthouse Beach!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our day at lighthouse beach was amazing! Donald and Kristel were fantastic hosts and tour guides. From the amazing lunch they made (including live crabs they caught just minutes earlier!) to the amazing views, the day couldn't get any better!

Only suggestion, bring and wear lots of bug spray. Everyone at Princess Cays had bug bites but I seemed to get more at this beach. Still totally worth it, just wish I would have been more prepared.

1 Thank mcguire7666
Endicott, New York, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Where to go for a REAL Bahamian Tour!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had the best time during our 'DA Real Bahamian T'ing' tour! Our ever so friendly and knowledgeable Captain was Donald and his son Daniel was first mate. We started our tour with a trip to the Marker Bars - what a sight! We are so happy we added the Bars to the tour and most definitely recommend. We took our time walking the bars, finding conch, spotting a stingray and manta ray while just taking in the remarkable views! Back on the boat we went, Donald sought out where we could dive for conch, what a very unique and rewarding experience. Once we had enough conch, we boarded the boat for a spectacular ride as Donald found a beautiful area to snorkel. We snorkeled the reef while Donald and Daniel prepared fresh conch salad! We saw so many pretty fish (large and small) and even spotted a truly wild sea turtle! We ate lunch on the boat which consisted of fresh conch salad, mahi-mahi sandwiches on home bread made at Kristel and Donald's home and rum punch - scrumptious!! After lunch, we headed deeper into the waters for some true hand line fishing! Captain Donald found the perfect spot once again! We caught our fair share of trigger fish and strawberry grouper. We had a blast catching fish after fish as we experienced this natural style of fishing in the best part of the Bahamas! Donald was so nice to fillet some fish for us to take back for dinner that night! It was a stormy day at Cape Eleuthera, but we did not have a single drop of rain - Donald has such a natural and experienced understanding of the sea!

Our tour day was one of our favorite days while on Eleuthera! Donald always put our safety first while making sure we had a great time! While we did not meet in person, Kristel was so helpful, she answered so many of our questions ahead of time and we are still communicating after the tour!

We recommend Eleuthera Tours to anyone who wants to experience what this island and its waters have to offer! Kristel and Donald go out of their way to provide a day to remember!

Brenda & Chris G.