“Peaceful safe and relaxing hideaway”

Bahamas Ocean Safaris
Ranked #16 of 48 things to do in Eleuthera
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Known for its crawfish, this small, picturesque island is a popular day trip destination. Let Bahamas Ocean Safaris be the first to welcome you to Spanish Wells, Eleuthera, Bahamas and introduce itself. James Dunnam, owner and Safari guide, was born in and spent his entire life in Spanish Wells, The Bahamas. He is a Licensed Captain with 30 years experience in Lobster diving and 20 years in deep sea fishing. His life experiences, knowledge of the sea, and unique perspectives are now applied to help others have the vacation of a lifetime.
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I love Eleuthera but my mother loves the small community of Spanish Wells.. I have stayed 3 times now and can say it is really growing on me. The people are gracious and humble with a proud history. I was happy this year to notice a larger number of black Bahamians living working and socializing with the often misjudged white population. I almost hate to recommend this quiet paradise as I do not wish to see it become overrun. For those who feel that a lack of booze 24-7 is a problem there is a bootlegger on island with a fair selection, saving a ferry ride. Excellent lobster and grouper at The Anchor.

3  Thank driftwood29
"star fish"
in 7 reviews
"egg island"

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have stayed in Spanish Wells for 4-6 weeks at a time the past 4 years. We absolutely love the island and the people who live here. Our grown children and their families come to stay for a week or more each year. Our young grandsons talk about our trips to Spanish Wells all the time with excitement. The water is very shallow and the beach is never too busy. We find treasures on the beach every day like sea stars, conchs, sea urchins, sand dollars, and many shells. They love taking a walk at night to the GAP to get ice cream. I feel completely safe bringing my family to Spanish Wells unlike many other islands we have visited on many cruises. We watch the cruise ships float by in the evenings. We have a very nice grocery store nearby that is pretty well stocked and getting better every year! We kayak, walk the beach, float on rafts, snorkel, ride bikes, read books and actually re-connect with our kids by having conversations. Something that most families don't take the time to do anymore. We have all the amenities of home, Wifi, cable TV, washer & dryer.We use Skype to keep in touch with our family, friends and business. After reading some of the nasty, negative reviews , I come to the realization that it's sad that so many people just can't entertain themselves.Hello...cook dinner together, play cards or board games, put on some music and slow dance with your lover or teach your grandkids how to dance.Don't blame the island because you lead a BORING LIFE! Every year I meet new friends on the beach, and yes, I have met some people on the island who would prefer the island to stay as it has been for decades, but not everyone shares their opinion and go out of their way to ensure you have a great time in Spanish Wells. We rent a golf cart from Johnny Underwood on 24th St. His family is amazing...what great friends they have become to my family! Jody & Tara Pinder rent a beautiful beach house called Ocean Dreams (go to vrbo.com to find rental homes). They also have been wonderful to my family and go out of their way to ensure their guests have a marvelous time in Spanish Wells. I could go on and on. We have traveled extensively...Spanish Wells is our favorite place in the world to get away from everyday life!

8  Thank mommadruck
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Beautiful little fishing island - if you visit here a trip across the bridge to Russell Island is a must do also. Enjoy the quick boat ride over from the mainland and spend the day walking and checking out the tidily kept homes.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We exploed Spanish Wells as part of a day trip, taking the Government Ferry from Jean's point. Every aspect was very pleasing, enjoying our walk aroung looking at the beautiful houses and amazing pink beach. Were treated to a tour of the island by a friendly local on their golf cart which made the trip even better. Would go back again but it is very small.

1  Thank Brunei110
See more reviews
Reviewed March 18, 2011

The date is there because I had to select one, but honestly - back in the 1980's and 1990's I had the opportunity to visit Spanish Wells many times. To this day I still find it hard to decide what I liked best -the pristine beaches, the smiling people, the true absence of rushing aroud...I could go on and on. I found th epeople to be absolutely marvelous, the island should be left undisturbed and the conch scorch is the best in the Bahamas. I used to stay at the Spanish Wells Beach Resort ( demolished after a hurricane) and I could get up in the morning, watch the sun com up, walk the beach, greet others out for a stroll or just now finding their way back to their hotel - anyway, not a week goes by that I don't think of the Wells and the fun I had there. A true haven for divers, great fishing and a wonderful time to get back in touch with your soul - not for your nightclubbers, but then I would rather read a good book or write an island poem.