“So It's a pity”

Surfers Haven Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 7 Eleuthera B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A paradisiac location, on a wonderful island, with wonderful inhabitants, we adored our stay on the island of Eleuthera because it is one of rare islands where we can find an almost intact nature.
We are lovers of journeys, and meetings. We fell under the spell of the kindness of the inhabitants of this island.

By arriving at haven surfer, The shock: a house such as we appreciated it, in front of the sea, of which we see no neighbor, really charming and who gives some heat, we really thought of spending excellent week.

It would have been it if we had had ceaselessly no sensation to disturb. A single common room in which we had the good connection has internet, Tom and Lyse who increased the sound of the television when we were in conversation with our parents or our friends (that we left for one year), they even asked us to speak outside (if only we had internet outside). A lack of politeness shocking, the music remained switched on even when they were not in the house, and you should not allow to put switch off it if you wanted to make another activity, we never had the right has one "good night" and in the morning it was necessary to extract the words of the mouth for one "hello". They did not even move to say to us goodbye the day of our departure.

We had more the feeling to be intruders in their house that customers in an inn.

We are happy to see that they were able to be pleasant and to interested in the other persons, we they did not even try to know us.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Manon K
Tom and Liz H, Manager at Surfers Haven Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Hello Manon!
Gee, we were a bit surprised to hear this in your review.
We had fun having you along for the Halloween party, your biker costumes were well improvised and thanks for helping Liz with her costume!
I tried to give you a "Bonjour" every morning and most nights I am last up so don't give a 'good night' when I just go to my room.
We enjoyed teaching Dimitri poker and helping him surf and giving him some first aid when he found the rocks at Surfer's Beach.
Customer service has become something we are KEENLY aware of these days as tripadvisor members keep us on our toes. But we found your review to be unfair.
You dwelled on the fact we asked you to take your phone calls out on the decks (most machines pick up WiFi on all the decks). The common area has a library, stereo, tv and game room and we did give you a couple days to make some Skype calls - but you were on the phone for hours every day and took over our communal room. We should have asked first, before trying to give you a subtle hint by turning up the music. But Manon you were on Skype for hours every day, talking loudly. (it is meant for the aforementioned acitivities) We put on a very good face and Liz politely asked you to take the calls outside on our nice oceanview decks! For $25/nite campsite you could not expect to take over the entire house.
We are live-in managers and should be entitled to share the space with you, but hour after hour of listening to your phone calls was not what we call sharing the space.
Other hostel guests would have got up and left the room.
Customer service offered:
1. Quick accommodation when you showed up unannounced. We made sure you knew the options. And gave you the primo campsite! I tried my best at conversational French. C'est la vie!
2. Offer of sleeping bag your first morning. As self-equipped campers we are not obliged to offer such but wanted to make sure our chilly 70 degree nights were okay for you.
3. Taught Dimitri some poker games (no charge!)
4. First aid offered for Dimitri's banged up elbow
5. guidance on the map of Eleuthera and showing you some 'elusive' spots
6. all our usual services! great deal for you guys.

Sorry about the no goodbye! we were on our way to do yoga and did not realize you would be gone when we returned. There was a language barrier there and maybe some misunderstandings. Thank you for the kind rating in cleanliness and sleep quality!
Au revoir.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed in Surfers Haven for 10 days, was a great experience with a lot of fun.
The house is really close to the beach and got an amazing view, which is awesome.
The bedrooms, are good and comfortable, and the kitchen is also good,, enough stuff to make your own dinner.

Tom and Liz are really nice people, and you can arrange some really cool trips, and take surfing lessons from them. I've done a surfing lesson and a snorkeling / cliff jumping trip, which where really nice and fun.

Overall, i had a really nice stay for a very good price. I can recommend this guesthouse for sure!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Milanr28
Tom and Liz H, Manager at Surfers Haven Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Thanks so much Milan. We really enjoyed having you and always love our Dutch guests. Go Orange! Noticed you gave us a 3/5 for cleanliness. That is something we are always working to improve/maintain and appreciate your honest rating.
And for those reading through - please do take advantage of some of our awesome surf trips and adventure tours. We did Current Cut with Milanr28 and picked the perfect day! These trips are great deals (discounted if you stay at Surfer's Haven) and a lot of fun for everyone.
Once again thanks for staying and taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I went to Eleuthera for a week to explore the island, beaches, people, and scenery, and needed a low-key place to sleep. Surfer's Haven was perfect. It was inexpensive, clean, and provided everything I needed. When I arrived, Tom and Liz were out of town, but JJ was watching the place and made me feel very welcome. The kitchen has what you need appliance-wise to make some small meals and they have internet that is usually reliable in the main part of the house. The view from the porch is terrific, it's a short walk to Surfer's Beach, and Diesel (the dog) is always fun to have around. When Tom and Liz arrived, they made sure I was enjoying my stay and helped me set up a ride to the airport for my flight back to Nassau. My trip to Eleuthera was fantastic and Surfer's Haven made it better giving me a comfortable place to sleep while leaving enough money in my pocket to enjoy the food and the island. I'll be going back here anytime I'm in Eleuthera.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Evan C
Tom and Liz H, Manager at Surfers Haven Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Hey Evan thanks for writing us a review.
We do hope to make everyone feel as welcome as you!
ALSO to those looking through these reviews! =) ...
... While our kitchen and inside communal areas do close down at 11 p.m. we do have a tiki hut and outdoor decks that stay open 24/7.
Tiki hut has a Weber grill for BBQ and new solar-powered light that is quite bright.
Also small campfire area .... schweet.
Like many small hostels we are family run and the family (just the two of us, and Diesel) is in-residence. We live it and we love it! And we hope you will too!
Eleuthera Love!
(JJ is a great cat too who many of our guests come to know and love)
Also we stage game nights inside some nights - poker, scrabble ... name your game.
We like to watch Seinfeld most nights to unwind and maybe a movie later in the TV lounge. You're welcome to join us. Our library is also well equipped!
But the outside star gazing and view are usually entertainment enough...

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was so stoked to be heading to Eleuthera Island for a week's getaway. It was exactly what I was looking for - some place quiet and beautiful. The Surfer's Haven Guesthouse seemed awesome before I got there and Tom's (the owner) emails made him to seem like a nice guy. I expected to get there and be welcomed and meet some chilled out surfers. Not really.

I could not believe how Tom made us feel so incredibly un-welcomed. It should be known that he and his partner (Liz who's a sweetie) live there and you are basically staying in a room in their house. Instead of being friendly and welcoming it felt like i was an intruder in their space. You have to share kitchen space as well (which is ok) but he was actually over top of me one night as I was preparing my meal at the same time they were and really making me feel uncomfortable. It was like his stuff was more important and i was definitely in his way.

One night they even implemented a new rule that we didn't know about until that night. They wanted the house completely quiet and lights out by 11pm (because that's when they got in and wanted to go to bed.) Seriously? I thought I was a paying customer and we were NOT being loud at all. We were simply up chating on the couch and looking at pictures on the internet. So we were forced to go outside. This happened a few days after Tom had a bunch of friends over playing cards until about 1am, keeping me awake. Interesting.

I also felt uncomfortable sometimes as the owners would sometimes get into arguments in front of me. When you're at Surfer's Haven, it's hard to get anywhere else unless you hitchhike or rent a car so you're kind of stuck there if you don't want to hitch or pay a lot to rent. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, which is awesome but awkward if you just want to get away for various reasons. Also, one last comment is that the patio furniture is almost all rotted or rusted out and I think they had only 2 hammocks that were ok to use. The other chairs and tables were pretty gross. They could use an update to some of their stuff.

I would not go back and was very disappointed indeed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank travelingxy7
Tom and Liz H, Manager at Surfers Haven Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Hey there - thanks for the review errr sort of. Sorry you felt so unwelcomed. Glad Liz was a sweetie at least - maybe you could have mentioned her more as she is 50% of the gig. But thanks for that.
The 11 p.m. quiet time is a longstanding rule that is written in CAPS in our info folder - it's not something we harp on or remind guests of - we should have asked you guys to find another space more judiciously I'm sure - but yes the rule is there - has been for years =)

Hey the patio furniture gets a lot of compliments - the tiki hut has cast aluminum and comfy pillow chair set - not cheap stuff!
The 2-person hammock cannot be beat! And the 1-person is great too and the swing! The recycled stuff is just that, recycled but still functional - because we reduce reUSE and recycle. Hey it still works!

Again apologies that you felt unwelcome. We have made some changes here at the guesthouse with room layout and etc to ensure more privacy for all involved. I have had a rough year personally and know it's not right to pass that on to guests.
Thanks for staying and go Canada!
If you ever come back through I'd like to offer you a free adventure tour with us - come see some cool stuff and let me make you feel welcome!

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Twice now I have stayed at Surfers Haven and appreciate it and Eleuthera more with each visit. It's hard to come across places like Surfers Haven and Eleuthera. Eleuthera does something to you the moment you land. Met some interesting travellers during both stays which I must admit added to the overall experience. Only suggestion I would have is to maybe rent a car during part of your stay to see the whole island. Looking forward to trip #3!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mathers35
Reviewed March 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the honeymoon suite and loved it! Tom and Liz were so nice and great people. We did a surf lesson with tom and was so fun. Be sure to ask Liz about piazza night..its the best on the island!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I rented a room at Surfer's Haven for 5 days. Tom & Liz are fabulous hosts and the house is in the perfect location. We fell asleep to the sound of the ocean every night and spent the evenings lounging in this awesome oversized hammock. :)

For our first adventure, we rented some kayaks and went sea kayaking from Gregory Town about 4 miles North to the Glass Window Bridge. We both work for an outfitters company and felt comfortable taking the kayaks out on our own, but this activity can also be done as a guided activity. We stopped at points along the way to snorkel, have lunch, and swim. We were lucky enough to see 3 dolphins diving about 100 feet or so from our boats for a good bit of the trip, which was pretty exciting! We ended our journey at the Glass Window Bridge, a breathtaking scenic point where the Atlantic and the Caribbean are separated by a one lane bridge. The Atlantic was pretty wild the week we were there and waves were crashing up and over into the Caribbean. Sea kayaking was by far our favorite adventure of the week!

Another day we rode some bikes down to Hatchet Bay where we did some more snorkeling and had conch burgers for lunch at a place called The Twin Brothers. We walked along a cliff and saw a huge spotted eagle ray and some smaller sting rays gliding through the water - pretty awesome! On our bike ride home we stopped at Hatchet Bay Cave, which was a fairly simple cave system consisting of about 3 levels, the lowest being covered in water that came up to about my waist (I'm 5'2"). There were some nice formations.

For our last adventure we took a surfing lesson with Tom - SO MUCH FUN! The lesson was right around 3 hours in length. The day was perfect, not too hot and the waves were not too big. My boyfriend managed to stand up for a short while and Tom got an awesome action shot of his moment of glory. I never got to the standing up position, but had fun just riding in flat - felt like flying! After our surfing lesson Tom took us to one of the blue holes the island is famous for.

The rumors are true, Liz's pizza is AMAZING ... so definitely ask about pizza night. Tom is really cool and knowledgable about the island. The house is clean. The living room, dining room, and kitchen are all shared with Tom, Liz, and other guests.

We hope to return again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex_and_Tanner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eleuthera
Villa Allamanda, Eleuthera
#1 of 6 in Governor's Harbour
Rainbow Inn
Rainbow Inn
#1 of 7 in Eleuthera

Been to Surfers Haven Guesthouse? Share your experiences!