“Rainbow Inn is my new favorite place. The owners are now friends, the rooms very comfortable, the food outstanding”
Review of Rainbow Inn

Rainbow Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Eleuthera B&B and Inns
Outer Banks, N.C. USA
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Eleuthera is a rugged out island where each beach is more spectacular than the next.. The Rainbow Inn was home base for our exploration. Zev was a great guide. Mich a fantastic cook. Rhonda and Richard always ready to help. Yaz kept us laughing and Twana kept the cold ones coming. You can do nothing but lie by the pool or explore the rugged cliffs and hidden beaches. Don't miss Elvina's on Tuesday and Friday night. And a stop at Brenda and Billy's cook out is a must. If you get down to Surfer's beach say hello to 'Rat Dog'. The Inn is a great place and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
willfrench
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We recently spent two weeks on Eleuthera, splitting our time between two places in the Govenor's Harbour area. The Rainbow Inn was a fantastic place to stay - very much had the feel of visiting someone you know. Rhonda, Richard, Zev and Mish were excellent hosts, making us feel welcome and looking for every opportunity to help us experience as much of the island as possible.

This started with a very practical and detailed review of the "hot spots" on the island from Zev - from great beaches and snorkeling to the sights and events we shouldn't miss. In the end, Zev and Mish even took the time to take us a day trip to the "current cut", a drift dive with some potential for good views, but some tricky logistics.

This open/honest view of the island even extended to recommending other hotels and restaurants for eating or entertaining. This included a great find, the Bistro at the Sky Beach Club, a new resort under development, that had great food, and an underutilized pool that all were welcome to enjoy.

The accommodations were just as described - we had a 3 br/3 bath villa which was very roomy for a family of five. It did have a full kitchen, which we used sparingly, but was well supplied with all the essentials if you wanted to cook for your self. We enjoyed a a delicious breakfast each morning, and a couple of very good dinners, although we never took advantage of their specialty - steaks from Chicago. (It didn't feel right going all the way to Eleuthera and not trying to go local).

Rainbow Inn has some great amenities - oceanfront tennis court, and a beautiful freshwater pool, and the view from the restaurant/bar while eating is first rate. The Inn does not have a "waterfront feel" as it is back from the shoreline and has no real beach. It does have some good snorkeling accessible from the property, and Rainbow beach, a two minute drive, is just what you would picture - gorgeous water ina slip of a cove, and great views. Rhonda and Richard even provide beach chairs and coolers.

Overall, we give them top marks - great friendly, welcoming place, and a great base for exploring north and south Eleuthera.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank willfrench
St. Thomas
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband and I have just recently returned from Eleuthera and our stay at the Rainbow Inn. We found the Inn to be a welcoming and a wonderful place to vacation “away from it all!” Our hosts, Richard, Rhonda, Zev and Mish were friendly and accommodating and after a few days it was almost like visiting with friends not just renting a room. We had a small, basic but clean and comfortable 2-room unit equipped with a microwave, dorm size refrigerator, coffeemaker and toaster. Both rooms had ceiling fans and AC units. And for a truly relaxing week NO telephones and NO television! The Inn has an on-site restaurant and a fresh water pool. It is close to the Rainbow Bay community tennis courts and several beaches.

We purchased a package that included lodgings for the week, 4 dinners and 4 breakfasts at the restaurant and a rental car for the week. For us this was an ideal combination! We avoided the stress of finding a place to eat while we were getting our bearings, especially on the evening we got to the island and for our first breakfast. The food at Rainbow Inn was well-prepared and delicious. But we also liked having 3 nights to try dining at different places on the island including the Friday night Fish Fry on the beach in Governor’s Harbour.

One of the best services the Inn provides is an “orientation” to Eleuthera. Following breakfast on our first morning at the Inn, Zev came to our table and brought a packet of maps for us showing all the primary and secondary roads, and trails on Eleuthera. (Listen carefully – for all practical purposes a secondary road in Eleuthera means shrubs in the middle of the road are less than 3 ft high and the ruts are less than 18 inches deep!) He personally explained sites and activities worth seeing and doing and how to find them. He also pointed out in which settlements we could find grocery stores and gas stations. This was a great service! It helped us get the most out of our vacation on Eleuthera and was really appreciated!

But as the logo on one T-shirt said “Eleuthera: It isn’t for Everyone”. Eleuthera is spectacular for what it doesn’t have – no neon signs, no traffic lights, no McDonalds, no traffic jams! The review of the Rainbow Inn by Varlynstroud, June 16, 2009 is worth reading. This review sums up the Rainbow Inn accurately and better than I can. We loved Eleuthera – the people were friendly, the beaches beautiful, and the island provided a sense of peace, tranquility and adventure. We loved the low key atmosphere and enjoyed the personal interaction with the owners at the Rainbow Inn and we can’t wait to go back! We will definitely stay at the Rainbow Inn when we return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bdz418
montreal
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I'm from Montreal, Canada, and I've been working in the restaurant business for almost 7 years, in a 4 stars establishment. I've always been disappointed in the quality of the meat found in the caribbean. Until now. For the first time, I had the chance to appreciate a really good steak! The Rainbow Inn offers BY FAR the best meat on the island. It was so good that I had to try the filet mignon after eating a ribeye 20oz. Both were excellent!! My girlfriend had the grouper burger and found it really tasty. Even the side dishes were delicious. They grow their own vegetables and fly their first grade meat from Chicago, so everything's fresh. Plus, the owners, a canadian family from Ottawa, are amazingly warm and welcoming. Trust me, if you go to Eleuthera you need to stop by Rainbow Inn! Franchement délicieux!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phil_joly
Brooklyn NY
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We stayed at the Rainbow Inn for four nights and we had a great vacation. The room was very nice and clean. The Inn is right by the sea so you can have breakfast every morning and just look at an amazing seascape. They have a really nice restaurant and the food is very good. The swimming pool in the garden is nice and relaxing.
The family that runs the Rainbow Inn is very friendly, helpful and nice. They sat me down on the first morning and explained with maps how to get to the best beaches in the island. I took their advice and I have to say i found myself in amazing beaches, which never had more than 10 souls on them. The northern part of the island is extremely beautiful and is not overdeveloped. The Locals are extremely friendly and overall is just a safe and relaxing environment. I hope to be back there soon!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYpainter
CT
Reviewed June 16, 2009

If you have read all of the reviews before this one, you might still be confused about whether or not the Rainbow Inn is for you. Some reviews praise this place and call it a “hidden gem”, yet others were disappointed when it came to their accommodations. I went on vacation there about 3 months ago and now I would like to share my story.
Some of the other reviews are accurate. The previous, long-time owner Ken has retired and sold the business to a Canadian family. The buildings could also use some small repairs, the plumbing is weak, and power outages occur frequently, but you know what? That is true of the entire island! If you want a perfect room, which has a toilet with a super strong flush and is on a stable power grid then you should stay at Nassau in a casino and go to the crowded plot of beach in front of whatever hotel you stay at. However, if you want to see what the edge of civilization looks like without actually living in the bush (ahem!, Maurice & Joe) and you truly want to get away and have an adventurous vacation, then you should consider the Rainbow Inn.
Just to give a bit of background on me; I am 30 years old and I work as a computer programmer at a reinsurance firm. I know that sounds like lots of fun (not), but it can really drain a person after a while. I was almost completely spent too, having spent the last 2 years working on a very large project without much of a break. My father suggested we do a “boys only” trip together with my younger brother. To be honest, at first I didn’t want to go. I hate travelling, especially flying, and while my big project at work was wrapping up I still had too much to do to feel ok about taking time off. I am not a fan of hot weather either, spending most of my days in an office. In fact if you had asked me before I went to the Rainbow Inn what my ideal vacation was I probably would of said, “…on the beach at a casino in Nassau.” In spite of all of this my dad works hard everyday and is a great father so I only agreed to go just to please him.
After our flight landed, we rented a car at the airport and took the 5-minute drive up the coast of Eleuthera to the Rainbow Inn. When we pulled in the staff personally greeted us and showed us to our rooms, which were cozy and had fridges and AC units. The hotel is not actually one building, but a collection of villas some of which are multiple units that share a wall or have doors that connect them for bigger groups. Ours was directly next to the pool and patio area, overlooking the most stunning view of the ocean I have ever experienced. If you are on the meal plan, the meals are served out of the hotel’s bar/restaurant that both guests and locals frequent to enjoy live local entertainment. The meals my group had were consistently excellent, but what was also nice was the selection of menu items included lots of regular American fare. I wanted to try new things and get a taste of local cuisine, but I also appreciated having an incredible French onion soup to fall back on in case the local cuisine wasn’t appealing to me. They had a good selection of fresh meat and all of the vegetables are grown right on the hotel’s property. While the beach is a very, very short drive from the rooms, it is worth the trip particularly when you get there and find it empty, waiting just for you.
What truly sets the Rainbow Inn apart from the competition is the personal service. A hotel chain may be great at cranking out the numbers, but if you don’t want to feel like a number and like a personalized touch the staff definitely understands how to accommodate. I could only stay for a week, but during my time there I felt more like a part of the family than a guest. After 4 days of lying in the sun, Zev the gardener/barback/director of activities/waiter helped us make arrangements to go deep sea fishing with a highly qualified and very experienced professional. After a full day of catching Mahi Mahi, we went back to the hotel and shared the story of our awesome adventure. Our fishing guide took our catches and cleaned and filleted them that night and brought them to us the next day. Zev’s fiancée, Mish the Chef (and all-around utility person with many jobs like Zev) prepared it for us as a private lunch and there was so much that they invited some close friends to enjoy it with us. While the whole experience was very entertaining, nothing compares to that lunch. It was spectacular, the fish was so fresh I cannot even do it justice. She served it with an amazing cous cous and cole slaw all grown on site. I will never forget how delicious everything I had was. As the week went on Zev & his family took great care of us and we were so moved that we had to take them out to dinner on our last night as our way of saying thanks for going above and beyond. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, it is the only one I am including. If you are still trying to decide if the Rainbow Inn is right for you, look at the smiles on our faces and then you will know.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Varlynstroud
Missouri
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We visited Eleuthera in May 2009 and had a marvelous time. We stayed at the Rainbow Inn. Richard, Rhonda, Zev and Mish made us feel at home. The Inn is very comfortable and the service is outstanding. We highly recommend the restaurant as well. The owners actually have a garden where they grow fresh vegetables and herbs for the restaurant. The food is great and the staff is very friendly. Twanna made us great drinks and we were entertained by Dr. Seabreeze and Mo-Jo. This was our perfect vacation. Lots of rest, relaxation, good food and drink. This was our second visit to Rainbow Inn and we hope to make our third visit in 2010.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eleuthera
Villa Allamanda, Eleuthera
#5 of 6 in Governor's Harbour
Pineapple Fields Resort
Pineapple Fields Resort
#1 of 6 in Governor's Harbour

Been to Rainbow Inn? Share your experiences!