Laughing Bird Apartments
The Cove Eleuthera(Gregory Town)
$419
Hotels.com
French Leave Resort(Governor's Harbour)
$699
Autograph
Villa Allamanda, Eleuthera(Governor's Harbour)(Great Value!)
$175
Unique Village(North Palmetto Point)
Travelocity
Pineapple Fields Resort(Governor's Harbour)
TripAdvisor
Sky Beach Club(Governor's Harbour)
TripAdvisor
Hut Pointe Inn(Governor's Harbour)
TripAdvisor
Tropical Dreams Rentals(North Palmetto Point)
Squires Estate(Eleuthera)
La Bougainvillea(Governor's Harbour)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 23, 2013

April 2013

We stayed at the Laughing Bird for 9 nights this April. It was a wonderful place for us as a base from which to explore Eleuthera. The small apartment was roomy for the two of us with a small kitchen, a bathroom and a living/bedroom large enough to include a chest of drawers, chairs, a love seat and table. Most of our time was spent in the pretty gardens right outside our sliding doors. We ate outside all the time, surrounded by flowers and a few chickens with their chicks. Though not directly on the ocean it felt like it; we could see it through the trees and could hear the waves at night. The rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable. Best of all no bugs. Ms Jean, the owner, was always very helpful and full of information about the island and its history. She helped us rent a car and arranged for a fisherman to take us on a snorkeling trip. The Laughing Bird's location could not be better. It was with in walking distance of a good bakery, liquor store, gas station, library, grocery store and restaurants. We enjoyed being able to walk around the town and Cupid's Cay and to feel a part of the local neighborhood. We will definitely return to the Laughing Bird.

Room Tip: Try for # 4
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CarolSJohnson
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had never been to the Bahamas and were unprepared for the more simple apartments in Governor' Harbour. After fleeing from one very dirty and insect infested hotel room that we booked months in advance we found The Laughing Bird with the help of the extremely kind local citizens.
It was cleaner, less expensive, and the hostess (known to all as Nurse Jean) was very friendly and went out of her way to make the remainder of our stay on Eleuthra as enjoyable as possible. However, as prior reviews read, the interior suites could use a make-over. The mattress springs on my bed poked into my back and I tried to remedy this with towels between the sheets and my spine. The apartment in general was clean yet looked dingy due to stains on the tile flooring, counter, and sinks. The towels were very worn and could use replacing but compared to our initially booked suite this bathroom looked like a palace. Hot water was always available. We never had to try out the air conditioning unit. Regular room service is nonexistent and fresh linens/towels were available on request. The surrounding gardens were peaceful, well maintained and just off the main road/drag. The view of the caribbean water (not the beach) on the small ground patio made one forget you were in the middle of a small town and within walking distance to grocery stores, banks, bakeries, and local restaurants. A collection of chickens wandered around the property and caused no problems except on a few early mornings when the roosters made their presence known!
The best part of the stay was the local people who were the most gracious I have ever met on my numerous travels. The Atlantic beaches were fantastic with the pink sand and if you yearned for more trendy bars/restaurants they were not far away. Rent a car as there are few places to hike other than the beaches. Roads are narrow but when you choose to tread on them you will receive countless offers for a free ride from the locals. We took a taxi tour of the island with a driver recommendation by Nurse Jean and received an excellent review of the islands history.
If you don't want to spend loads of money and don't expect The Sands Resort- like amenities then the Laughing Bird will accommodate you.

Room Tip: Word of mouth
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank robinson_705
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been living on the south end of Eleuthera for 6 months, and had family visit for the first time last week. As a 20-something with a family who likes to see the local sights, we wanted to stay at a place further north on the island, so that we could hit up the tourist spots that central and north Eleuthera have to offer (e.g., Glass Window Bridge, Hatchet Bay Caves, Harbor Island and Spanish Wells, beaches in Gregorytown and James Cistern). I had never stayed at a hotel outside of South Eleuthera, but I was pleasantly surprised by what Laughing Bird apartments had to offer.

Miss Jean is extremely hospitable. One reviewer mentioned that it took them an hour to check in because she was so chatty. News flash- this is the Bahamas! People are personable and like to chat and share life experiences. I rather enjoyed hearing about how the island used to be when Miss Jean was a young girl. There is wi-fi, but it wouldn't reach to our room. Miss Jean said she had "extenders," but I just used the internet in the adjacent room (we rented a 4 person apt and an adjacent 2 person apt). For 6 people it totaled a little less than $300/night, which is not cheap, but not unreasonable. If you find somewhere touting rates cheaper than that in Eleuthera, then don't be surprised if you drive up to a dilapidated building in the brush, far off from the beach.

The beach was a 1 minute walk (if that) across a back road, and you have a beautiful ocean view from the back patios of the apartments. We had fun times beach combing (found some antique glass bottles) and fishing (got some amber jacks and barracuda). For dinner, you can purchase lobster off the pier right down the street, and Miss Jean has a grill available for use (although we had to purchase the charcoal). The grocery store is really close, along with the liquor store, though I would recommend going by rented car rather than walking (if you plan on picking up a lot of food or beer!). You can cook right in the rooms, which have full kitchens. My one suggestion is to check the temp setting of the fridge/freezer. Ours was set so low our beer wouldn't get cold!! (I know, such a tragedy). There is also a lovely bakery just down the road open early morning that the family loved.

I would highly recommend Laughing Bird apartments, because they are straightforward with what they have to offer, and they have a nice quiet location off the main road in Governor's Harbor. Thanks for reading! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We arrived at LB and were greeted by Mrs. Jean. She drove us around some to show us where a few things were. Our apartment was clean and decorated nice with fresh flowers. Our entire trip was great anything we needed we simply asked. We are so excited to loan a trip yo return one day. Thank you Eleuthera for being so nice and beautiful. It was hard to leave so coming back is a must!

Room Tip: All rooms face the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SCMT80
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have now been to Laughing Bird on three occasions, as an obsessive Bone Fisherman and on a very tight budget I can with hand on heart say these apartments are not only great value, but also provide for all my needs.

A place to lay my head at night after a long days fishing in surroundings that are very pleasant indeed. Clean, comfortable and close to town I found this accommodation not only perfect for me, but my hosts whilst doing all they could for me were not at all intrusive.

I love the Bahamas, (particularly Eleuthera) and love my Bone Fishing more, and in my opinion Laughing Bird Apartments ticks most if not all my boxes.

With a fair wind I hope to be re booking for April/May of next year and can't wait to get back out there.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo