“Pass this restaurant by”
Review of New Sunset Inn

New Sunset Inn
Ranked #45 of 77 Restaurants in Eleuthera
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
“Pass this restaurant by”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I stopped in this restaurant today because she wanted a nice view of the sunset while having a beer. We sat outside on the deck with beautiful views of the Caribbean Sea. Sadly, that is about the only nice thing I can say about this restaurant. We ordered two Kaliks and they came pretty quick, however, we both enjoy a smoke with a beer and asked for an ashtray at the same time that we ordered the beers. When the beers came no ashtray came with them. We reminded the server about the ashtray and she said she'd grab one after taking our order. We placed a very simple order...chicken fingers...nothing fancy. A short while later our server came outside with our food, again with no ashtray. As well the chicken fingers we ordered somehow got mistranslated as chicken wings instead. Reading previous reviews I see that this same mix up happened to someone else too. Trying to make the best of it we just kept the chicken wings instead of returning them. Nothing special...they came very dry, plain and with blue cheese dip and ketchup. As well not even a single napkin or any cutlery was given to us. Soon after my wife ordered another Kalik and again reminded the server about the lack of an ashtray. She said she would bring it next time she came out. This is the third time we are asking, and really, it's only so we don't have to throw them on the floor, which is exactly what we had to do since an ashtray never came. When we were done we asked for the bill and it came out with 4 Kaliks and chicken wings. By our count my wife had two beers and I had one. We pointed the error out to the server and her response simply was "that's what she told me to put on the bill". Who "she" was remained a mystery to me but nonetheless we paid for what we rightly consumed. With the horrible service my wife gave $21 for a $20.50 bill. The server kept pointing to the total clearly saying without words "where's my tip?". Honestly she is lucky she even got the fifty cents...let's sum this up: never received the requested ashtray, wrong food was delivered to table, no napkins or cutlery at all was given to us, charged for more items than we ordered and given attitude when we left a small tip that was worthy of the poor service. There are restaurants in Governor's Harbour that will make your dining experience enjoyable and worth your money...this place is NOT one of them. Do yourself a favour and pass this restaurant by as you drive.

• Visited June 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Been there for Lunch and Dinner - both solid meals.”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had a lovely server, Laveena, both visits. I had the grouper snack both times which is batter fried grouper which is so fresh you won't believe how great it tastes. Somehow they fry the fish without it being greasy at all. Had green salad as a side once and green salad and fries. The fries were not great so I opted for just a green salad the follow up visit. My hubby had the fried shrimp dinner and it looked terrific. Huge shrimp - bigger than anything served stateside as Jumbo shrimp. Again not greasy. Shrimp dinner, grouper snack, 2 beers and 1 diet coke was $52 with 15% gratuity included. Lunch of 2 grouper snacks, 2 Sands, and Diet Coke was $42 with gratuity. All very reasonable as servings are generous. Stop by and enjoy.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank ImA_Relaxed_Fish
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
“Wonderful food!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Got the conch burger, conch salad and grouper fingers. Not sure which my husband liked best. Also enjoyed a small kids menu which was great. Service was as quick as can be expected and take out options are excellent.

Visited May 2013
Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera
“Best Bahamian Food on Eleuthera”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The cracked conch is to dye for - very reasonable prices and friendly service. The only caveat is that Jay is the only cook, so if there is a crowd be prepared to have a few drinks and wait while watching the beautiful sunset on the deck. A good reminder to slow down and enjoy the island life while you are here!

Visited February 2013
Deep Creek, Eleuthera, the Bahamas
“Meh....not great but OK.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I live in Deep Creek (South Eleuthera), and we stopped at this restaurant after a day trip to Spanish Wells. We requested to sit outside, and missed a dinner rush by about 10 minutes.

There was one waitress outside, and we had to call her over to get her attention every single time we wanted something, whether it was to order food, drinks, refills, or to ask where our food was. We ordered chicken fingers and were given dry chicken wings. I made the mistake of ordering "steak," which came out like a piece of rubber covered in mushroom sauce. I also asked twice for sour cream for me baked potato, and it never came out. I was too fed up to request it a third time and just ate a dry potato. My boyfriend had pork chops which were decent, but trying to get a second Kalik was a nightmare. All the other tables outside were complaining about the slow service.

I live in Eleuthera, so I understand it is a slower way of life, but this restaurant made it unbearable. Even the ice cream we ordered had a massive layer of freezer burn on it. The one saving grace was that the view of the sunset is hypothetically beautiful, though we unfortunately had our view blocked by some last second clouds that rolled in. Also, bugs were terrible once the sun set and we had to move inside.

If you just want a few drinks and don't mind waiting around for them, this could be a nice place to watch the sunset, but for better food there are more restaurants in Governor's Harbor that might be more worth your money.

• Visited April 2013