“Paradise”
Review of Tail Winds Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cat Island
Tail Winds Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Hermitage, Tennessee
“Paradise”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place was fantastic! The beauty of the water and beach made it a perfect vacation destination. Rich, Altamese and the staff were more than accommodating. Food was excellent and drink was plenty. We searched hundreds of locations in which to spend our honeymoon and could not have picked a better place. We met new freinds from all over the world. We will definitely return soon.

1 Thank trymdws

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We just returned last night from our best vacation yet. I surprised my husband for his 40th birthday and it was the perfect gift to both of us. Rich and Altimese made a chocolate cake and bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate the occassion. The beauty of the resort has been described in detail before and it is all true. You literally have miles of unoccupied beach front to just enjoy. No chair game, no schedules you need to adhere to. Our cottage (Flap House) was perfect. The bed was really comfortable and all the guests made that comment. There is AC if you need it but the breeze off the ocean kept the room very comfortable. Great hot water in the outdoor shower. There is cable and wifi but we had no cell service with Verizon, Sprint, and Tracfone (we had one of each). Rich did a great job as our host. He took us snorkeling at various spots, went to a few bars (Grammies, Colonius, and Hotspot) and had dinner and Rake and Scrape at Da Smoke Pot which involves playing a saw (and I still have all my fingers) and a lot of dancing. He arranged for a rental car to be delivered to his resort and we literally paid for it when we were done. No paperwork at all. We went to the Hermitage and explored the Bat Cave. We all built a bonfire on the beach for our last night and had a great time. The food is great and the portions are really large. I was surprised that the prices were as reasonable as they were. I was expecting things to cost much more than what they did. We walked up to Shanna's for the pineapple shrimp pizza and is was also great. I would go back tomorrow if I could. We are definitely planning on having this be our hideway for R&R. I would not recommend this place for people who have small children. There isn't anything to do other than R&R and I'm sure the other guests don't want to deal with crying, bored kids in such a beautiful place (and I have young children). Mispa is the housekeeper and she hand made a lovely purse for me as a surprise upon leaving. The three of them really want your trip to go well. Hi to our new Swiss friends, Francine and Dominiqe and our Kansas City friends Rose Mary and Mike who enjoyed the resort with us.

Room Tip: They are all within feet of the ocean.
3 Thank slhb
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2013

So let me just start by saying (in response to some of the previous reviews) that if you find yourself easily offended by colourful language, you may be off-put by some of the discussions with the resort's owner, Rich, who is a New Yorker with some strong views on a variety of topics (for example, big government).

This being said: if you don't mind the odd f-bomb getting tossed around, Rich helps to form the lifeblood of your experience at this place, which is guaranteed to be terrific. I don't think a moment goes by where he isn't doing his best to make sure that you have the most fun you could have, whatever your tastes are. Some examples: he took us all out on a cross-island adventure in his truck to go see some of the wilderness (blue hole, other beaches, caves, snorkelling creek, etc.), he took us to the local bars and restaurants, provided us with all the snorkel and fishing gear we could need, showed me how to pick and open a coconut, and even had his kitchen staff cook a fish for another guest after his efforts at spearfishing finally paid off. I honestly have never heard of any other resort owner that would personally ensure everything is exactly the way you want it, however you want it. All you need to do is ask and you get it.

This isn't to say that the entire trip is non-stop adventure. If all you want to do is relax on the beach, this is the place to do it. This island is untouched by big tourism, which means that you have no crime (no one on the island locks anything - car keys are always just sitting in the ignition) and you certainly don't have any crowds. The main beach off the resort is pristine, with white sand stretching forever, crystal clear turquoise water, etc. There may be an odd couple strolling the main beach, but if that isn't isolated enough, you can easily walk around and find yourself on another of several nearby beaches where you will be in complete solitude. There are also a few small reefs in the water where you can snorkel around and see some really beautiful fish (angelfish, lionfish, some kind of rainbow fish, etc, etc.).

As for the resort facilities, they are excellent. The rooms are immaculately clean, and the staff are very friendly. The rooms have their own kitchenette areas with fridge, microwave, and toaster, so you can keep your own snacks and meals (the local store is just down the street and Rich is more than willing to take you there for supplies). Every room has its own outdoor shower, which is a novel feature that works out extremely well - showering outside on a warm day is one of the most refreshing experiences around. There is a flat-screen tv with satellite on the wall, and the beds are top-notch in comfort (not sure what the previous review was referring to when it called them "wiggly"?).

The food is great (Rich pulled out 32oz steaks for us all one night, lobster tails another), and if you want something a little more 'formal' feeling for dinner or lunch sometime, Shannas is a 5 minute walk away. The bars at Tail Winds are full-access and the drinks are self-served, and you just write down what you've had afterwards on a log sheet. This is another novel concept to me, but it fits very well with the trustworthy nature of Cat Island.

Would my fiancee and I come back to Tail Winds? Absolutely, and we intend to. As far as I am concerned, this is the true island paradise that you'll see on those Sandals commercials. This is it.

Irvine, California, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband Steve and I stayed at Tail Winds recently and the accommodations exceeded our expectations. The four Villas were beautiful. Larger then we expected, very clean with a kitchen area,. great King size bed, beautiful white couch, fireplace, flat screen tv, not to mention the roomy 'outdoor shower'. Richard has a wonderful vision for his resort, that keeps it intimate and very accommodating. They are currently adding 3 additional rooms, so at any one time you won't be crowded with too many other guest. The units are close to the beach, over size jacuzzi/pool, and restaurant You are just steps away from whatever you desire. The restaurant offers a menu with a great selection for breakfast, lunch or dinner and the honor bar makes it easy to quench any thirst you might have.
I think we were most impressed with the location. Located on the North end of the Island, it has a gorgeous white beach that most people only dream of. It's a very quiet part of the island so if you prefer to to sit in the sun, or adventure on a long beach walk, hike over to Man of War Point , take a bike ride to Arthur's Town or Orange Creek you have plenty of choices.
We did have a 'night out' with 6 other guest,Richard took us to Grammy's cocktails by the sea, then over to Da Smoke Pot for a delicious dinner and were entertained by a local Rake and Scrape band where we were encouraged to play the 'saw' with the band or dance. A good time was had by all. We will definitely go back as we truly enjoyed the peacefulness of the North end and the comfortable accommodations of Tail Winds.

Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I actually had a cruise planned, but it got ruined by my mom's flaky travel agent. I am glad it did! Had it not, we wouldn't have found this beautiful paradise...as soon anyway. It was important to me that we did not go somewhere overdeveloped and commercialized. It was apparent as the plane landed at the Arthur's Town airport that I may have found just what I was looking for! The airport is tiny and it seems like there is nothing around. Cat Island is what you make of it. There is plenty to do, if you like nature, exploring, hiking, etc.

Rich is so amazing and wonderful! I knew just by reading reviews that he and I would get along just fine! Come to find out, he is from NY...we live right on the border of NY and CT, so we already understood where he came from...and where he is now. He is so accommodating and pleasant.

We are already thinking that we want to go back every year! The food is delicious, the service exceptional, the views spectacular, etc.

The great thing about Cat Island is that everyone seems to know each other. Rich knows the neighbors, the locals, business operators, etc. Everywhere we went with him, everyone adored him. It's hard not to. We also stopped at Grammy's, Colonious', Da Smoke Pot, Hot Spot, etc.

I must also comment on the neighboring Resort, Shanna's Cove. They were also spectacular. We would wander down the beach pretty much daily and enjoy a meal there. Frank and Gabi are very kind, as well as Tara, who was working in the restaurant every time we were there. They allowed us to use their two-person kayak, without any questions asked.

We absolutely loved our trip to Cat Island! We met wonderful people and enjoyed beautiful island life.

(There is no fitness center and I accidentally checked that the Fitness Center is excellent.)

Room Tip: Hana's Hanger was one of the closest to the water. We fell asleep...and woke up to...the sound o...
4 Thank Mindy_and_Geno
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Firstly, the rooms are beautiful. King size bed (which was a "wiggly" one), kitchenette, large screen tv with all channels, fireplace, outdoor shower, clean and lovely. We were treated very nicely, although it was very different from the european feel of next door Shanna's Cove Resort which we loved.

The main issue which I foresaw might come into play for a longer stay was that everything filtered out on to the main decked patio. So anytime any body heavy walked, it reverberated through every room. All rooms have multiple doors and windows, so if you are doing ANYTHING (tv, talking, or more), every single person would be able to hear. Not private at all.

I did very much enjoy being able to hear the waves crashing and luckily people seemed to have gone to bed early (around 9 or so), but if there were any late dwellers at the on the beach tiki bar, the deck, or in the restaurant, you need to have your windows and doors closed.

4 Thank piratesbooty
Paris, France
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Amazing situation on a secluded beautiful beach. Excellent hotel with 4 rooms.
Outstanding villas: nicely decorated, very clean, modern - small kitchen, nice bathroom with outdoor shower.
Superb terrasse and cool beach bar.
Breathtaking beach which feels private - we never met anybody on it... Paradise.
Rich and Dave take great care of you - taking you to restaurants and the little nearby supermarket.
It is a secluded hotel on a secluded island - it felt like real bahamian life.
We have seen a couple of other hotels around and Tail winds is by far the best choice for the atmosphere and situation on the beach.

Room Tip: ask for the 2 villas at the front
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Orange Creek Inn
Orange Creek Inn
#7 of 10 in Cat Island
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Tail Winds Resort? Share your experiences!