“An Honest Opinion”

Pigeon Cay Beach Club
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying that this location is on the most beautiful white sand beach that my wife and I have ever seen. The location couldn't be any more spectacular. If you are looking for a secluded, private, gorgeous location, right on the beach, then this is for you.

The hosts/owners, Leslie and Ned, live on the property with their two children and two dogs. I found Leslie to be very nice and helpful and Ned was nice, but comes across as a little bit surely. I preface this with saying we have a dog at home: the dogs here are not the types of dogs that should be at a place where guests are coming and going. They are very territorial and can be heard barking loudly whenever a vehicle pulls up. In fact, the greeting we got when we arrived on the property from the airport was the dogs barking and snarling at us. As a dog owner, I know the difference between friendly inquisitive barking and and aggressiveness. One night, a guest was nipped after returning from dinner.

Also, we were plagued by tiny brown colored ants within our residence. When though we were given something that was supposed to make the ants go away, they still swarmed the kitchen and bathroom areas. All that even though we were extremely careful when cooking and preparing foods, always washing the counter tops, never leaving a crumb. I'm not a fan of chemicals, but I would think some type of treatment would help with these pests. I do expect some bugs, etc...but this was a bit excessive.

The residence e stayed in and others we went into needed a bit of updating, but nothing extremely major.

The food at pigeon cay was okay, not great, but certainly not worth the $40 that was charged for dinner, especially when the dessert consists of two girl scout type cookies and a tiny scoop of ice cream.

Overall, the beauty of pigeon cay outweighs the negatives I mentioned. It is a lovely pristine location, the ocean a step or two from your residence, but with a little bit more attention, this could be an amazing place overall.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank jls2416

Reviewed December 26, 2013

One week on a "almost" deserted island, if you are looking for complete peace and quiet time on a deserted white sandy beach, this is the place to forget all your problems. Sleeping with the sound of the ocean, just a few feet from our cottage, gorgeous beach pristine water and all the comfort and amenities you can hope for. Ned and Leslie are the best host, arranging all reservations at tiny local restaurants or for boat rides for snorkeling or fishing.
They also can serve supper on the premises and a cater to all of our wishes whether lobster, fish or anything else. All we did was swimming, reading in hammocks provided with each cottage, canoeing, snorkeling (mask and fins also provided).
The Island is what the Caribbean use to be, simple, unpretentious basic hospitality.
See it before it is too late!

Room Tip: All rooms are on the beach, they just vary in size.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tsoklis D
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed one week by myself at Pigeon Cay on Cat Island. You will be hard pressed to find another destination like this. Miles of sugary white sand beach that is secluded and, most of the time, deserted. Other than other hotel guests, you can have the entire place to yourself. The property is absolutely gorgeous, very well maintained and a great place to find peace and quiet. The owners, Ned and Leslie, made sure I had everything I needed for my stay and were always more than accommodating if I needed anything. The prepared meals were the best on the island and the dinners allowed for a nice time to meet the other guests. If you are searching for a beautiful, secluded place to rest and recover that's off the beaten path look no further than Pigeon Cay. It is just sublime.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank sschuchardt
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We combined a New York trip with 4 days on Cat Island in the Pigeon Cay Beach Club and had an amazing quality time at an unique place. Pigeon Cay is located more or less by itself at an incredible long and amazing white sand beach with an extrem high water quality.

The club consits just of a few standalone cottages so that you really have space and time for yourself during the day and for the evening you can choose to either go out for dinner, join other guests at the club or prepare food by yourself. Overall we met only nice people, had even 2 nights the whole location for ourselves and appreciated expecially the hosts. Both are always friendly, have tipps and recos for everything and manage the whole place behind the scene while we were just relaxing and enjoying the time. There are nice snorkling places around the corner and the whole equipment is available for free!

Do not expect a 5 star posh paradise place as would expect on Maledives or Seychellen, but instead an unique place natural wise and a cosy and lovely accomodation with one clear focus: Relaxed guests!

Many thanks to Leslie and Ned and for us one of the place to have been!

One hint: Be prepared for sand flies that were very nasty on our last day. According to locals baby or eukalyptus oil is a good prevention!

Room Tip: Choose cottage with sea view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank miriam r
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were looking for an Out Island experience with nothing to do but relax and spend quality time with our two young children and Pigeon Cay was the ideal spot. For the first three days of our trip, we were the only guests. Leslie and the two boys were off island and Ned and Lee were great hosts. It was nice having the entire place to ourselves for a few days but then enjoyed spending time with other guests as they arrived. You get to know the other guests by name and will often sit at the main table together for dinner and drinks.

Ned and the staff made most of our dinners which were all fantastic. Ned invited us to join him, Lee and local friends for dinner out one night and I can't remember the name of the place but it was excellent. Ned made about half our breakfasts which were fantastic as well. We were on our own for lunch which we made in our kitchen and ate at the main outside dining area. I definitely recommend a trip to the store for beer, snacks and other essentials. Ned will lend you a vehicle at a reasonable rate.

We had planned on eating several meals out, hiring a guide for a bone fishing trip and SCUBA diving. But we didn't want to leave Pigeon Cay and spent almost all of our time on Cat Island playing on the beach and doing other relaxing activities right on the property. The beach is beautiful with gentle small waves and fine sand.

I do recommend that you bring insect repellant. For adults, Ultrathon is highly-rated by Consumer Reports and worked well for me. For kids, Natrapel is also highly-rated and is deet-free and the kids never got bitten. Insects can be an issue at night and the early morning when you move away from the beach and rooms toward the property entrance.

If you are looking for a relaxing Out Island getaway with or without children then I highly recommend Pigeon Cay Beach Club. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank WorldTravelBoy
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a quiet get away and boy did we ever find it. Upon our arrival to Pigeon Cay we were greeted by Ned. He helped us take our bags to our cottage. We stayed in the Causarina. He informed us that dinner would be at 6:30. After settling in I went out and sat on our porch and thought we have made it to heaven. The water was spectacular and the beach beautiful. Right away we slipped into "island time" mode.

After doing a lot of research about the island and resort I thought I was prepared for relaxation but I underestimated my expectations. It was more than I could have ever hoped for.

We were hoping for no one else to show up and stay at the other cottages for the week but they quickly filled up. Im glad they did. We ended up making some wonderful friends with whom we have stayed in touch with. If you are not looking to talk anyone else that would be very easy to do even if the cottages are filled up. There is so much privacy and the beach goes on for miles so you can find your own spot.

We split the car rental with a few other couples for runs to the store, exploring the island and going out to dinner. Leslie is the sweetest lady to deal with. If you need anything from extra sugar and spices for cooking to directions she is there to help.

If you decide that you will be cooking/grilling throughout the week, make sure to ask Leslie which store has what. The 2 grocery stores vary on what they carry. Because this island is so secluded the prices at the store are expensive. Everything must be shipped in. Be prepared to have a large bill at the end of your shopping trip.

We had a big family style dinner at "Da Smoke Pot" one evening. Julian is a superb host, bar tender, story teller, dancer and musician.
We also ate a few lunches and dinners at Yardies. What a special lady she is. She makes you feel right at home and her cooking is divine. Like everyone says you have to try her conch salad. Delicious!

If you are looking for a 5 star resort with activities every 15 min, maid service, clubs, bars and luxury dinners this is not the place for you. This island resort is about relaxation and tranquility. A true paradise on earth.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BlkMamba
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Loved this resort - I've never been so relaxed on a vacation that I would almost faint every time I stood up from the beach chairs - my blood pressure has never been lower! Beautiful beach, honor bar, convenient kitchen in the 1 bdrm beach house we rented - it's perfect for someone wanting a no frills vacation with not a thing to do. The owner, Ned, put it best when I asked him "so what's there to do here anyway?" - with hesitation and a quick smile he said "nothing - just hang out and relax". With the most beautiful beach on the island and no one around, there wasn't any problem with idea. This resort now has become my go-to whenevery I need to unwind from my otherwise stress-filled life.
Quick tips - hit the grocery store early in your stay and get a few essentials - like other reviews have stated, he cooks 4-5 meals a week, so you may want breakfast stuff
Bring contact lens solution if you need it - everyone has perfect, uncorrected eyesight on the island apparently.
One minor issue unrelated the resort did occur- we missed our flight to the island and had to take one the next day - "Scott" and bahamago.com, the agency we used to book through, sorted everything out and was very professional. I strongly recommend booking through them - we would have been lost without their help!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 10 in Cat Island
Greenwood Beach Resort
Greenwood Beach Resort
#4 of 10 in Cat Island

Been to Pigeon Cay Beach Club? Share your experiences!