“A rare place on a beautiful island!”

Greenwood Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cat Island
Simsbury, Connecticut
“A rare place on a beautiful island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Let me first qualify my rating as this is not a 5 star resort as it sets the wrong expectation. This is a great kind of funky resort in a a very relaxed low key location. This is not Nassau - no nightclubs, casinos, or high end restaurants. It's all about beautiful beaches, great snorkling, the best sail and deep sea fishing charters, scuba, and making friends. Cat Island is the friendliest island in the Caribbean and Greenwood is no different. Locals often gather in the lounge in the evening for a little bit of music or a bonfire on the beach. The beaches are pink or white sand for miles in either direction. I stayed in Port Howe about 3 miles away and visited Greenwood almost every day for the month of November 2012. I often ate at the hotel and became friends with the staff and residents of the resort almost instantly. If you get tired of the food (or want a taste of the local fare) stop at Daisy Mae's roadside in Port Howe for the best BBQ or fried chicken ever or some grouper, conch fritters or cracked conch ( the best) on the way to the best snorkling in the Caribbean or go into New Bight center and eat at the beach stands for the best cracked conch or conch salad. If you are looking for a 5 star resort with all the frills - don't go here. This is not that kind of island or resort. If you are looking for sun and fun, water sports, a quiet walk on the beach and a great opportunity to make friends that last a lifetime not only will you enjoy yourself, you will go back again and again and will look at Greenwood as your little resort in the Bahamas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank John0903

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Clinton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

We just got back from 4 nights at the Greenwood Inn. The Inn is run by Anna & Waldamer (excuse spelling if incorrect) a very nice German couple, who know the island and everyone on it very well. They were very welcoming, helpful and knowledgable. Cat Island in general is not the place for those who want every convienence and nightlife. This is an island made to enjoy the water, sand, people and experinces they bring. The rooms are basic, but have what you need. The pool very refeshing, the beach beautiful. If you need anything from a car to diving equipment, ask your hosts, they will arrange it.

We rented a car for a couple of days and at Waldamer's directions enjoyed some of the other "resorts" on the island. We particullarly enjoyed our drive to Shanna's cove and lunch there. We walked up to the "hightest point in the Bahamas" and took a look at the Hermitage and stopped by Fernadez Bay. The next day he recommended some shelling beaches and we stopped and picked up sponges off the shore, coral and shells and splashed about for a while. We went to Hawk's Nest, which is a ride in itself down that unpaved road.

I made a mistake and did not let them know in advance that my husband and I cannot eat any seafood and they did their best to accommodate us, which I really appreciate. My bother-in-law and his girlfriend were in heaven with the different fish dishes served every night, prepared by locals, who sure knew how to cook it. They had a mini-fridge in their room and we had bought some Kaliks, ginger ale and coke for our island traveling. I brought a hot and cold bag and we loaded it up to take in the car or when we went to the beach. We bought Jim Beam and Rum in the duty free shop in Ft. Lauderdale. We also bought drinks at the bar at the inn. It is an honor system. The prices are listed and you just write down what you take and they add it up at the end of your trip and then you pay the bill.

Just for those who may be on a budget. Ice is at a premium around the island-$5.00 a bag. Food and drink is expensive compared to US, but figure they have to have everything shipped in. Our understanding was the supply boat comes once a week and the same with the fuel boat. I think a Kalik even at the market was $2 or $3.00 per bottle.

If you don't like dogs this also may not be your place. We loved them and I wish I could have stolen "Naughty" and she is correctly named because she is naughty, but adorable. She slept outside our door many a night and joined us on the beach and in the surf every day.

Every night they serve an appetizer and guests sort of gather and it is nice to talk with and meet some of the other guests. When we were there 5 young marine biologists were there tagging white tip sharks, 3 people who came over by boat from Boca Raton, Fl, a group of fishermen who had flown in on a private plane, a retired German couple and a couple from the west coast of Florida. We all enjoyed some lively conversations and played some games.

All in all in was just the kind of vacation we had hoped for, restful, time to visit with one another and beautiful beaches with beautiful water.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Valerie E
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

At Greenwood you're paying for a magnificent secluded beach - where the only decision you need to make is which direction to walk because it goes on for miles in both directions. Yes, you can arrange for diving or fishing, but the real draw is the beach and a lovely lodge which facilitates conversation among the guests (many of whom return year after year). There are wonderful places all around the property to sit and relax in, with shade when you want it. We arrived on April 28 in a huge rainstorm, which continued the following day. Honestly, we were wondering whether to leave because the forecast was for a "much needed" week of rain. But then the sun came out, and all was forgiven. I can see how people can either really like this place or hate it - as other reviewers have said, it's not for everyone. But it was just right for us - we don't like to pay for extras that aren't important to us. We just want a reasonably comfortable and clean place, with nice guests and hosts, and with easy access to a fantastic beach. That's what we got ... and more.
Some details: There's nothing electronic in the bedrooms, such as tvs, internet access or even clocks - but there are plenty of outlets to charge your phone or whatever.
There is internet access at the lodge, on the porches, and in the lovely courtyard area. It can be spotty.
The food is really good - more basic than gourmet, but delicious nonetheless. It's on the expensive side - the meal plan for two (breakfast/dinner daily) costs as much or even more than the daily room rate.
We took advantage of a special promotion which offered free flights from Nassau to the Outer Islands - this made the trip a really good value. Check out Bahamas.com for specials when planning your trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank boxford
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I visited The Greenwood Beach Resort from April 5 - 15, 2012 and had a lovely time. The resort is run by Waldemar and Anna Illing and they provided me with everything I could possibly need and much, much more. If you are looking for a quiet place to walk the beach, read, rest, enjoy the sun and enjoy great food and atmosphere then this is the place for you! I never had the same meal once, in the 10 days that I was there. The homemade soups are incredible and I especially liked Anna's cabbage soup. The conch was also delicious.

The Illings have 3 dogs and a cat who were my constant companions. Anytime I wanted company when I walked the beach, one of the dogs would come with me. The ocean is quite warm this time of year and I swam and sunbathed every single day.

The rooms are neat and clean. Beds were the most comfortable I have slept on ever in a resort. The staff made a point of remembering my name and I felt very much at home. I absolutely cannot wait to go back. This is the ideal place for either the solo traveler or someone who wants to get away from everything. 5 stars!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank lauralk1p2
Bath, ME
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a great value spot in the Bahamas. Everything as clean and hosts as accommodating as possible. Both times I arrived somewhat handicapped with bad knees. Last year was right after being discharged from rehab following a knee replacement. We selected the resort as a place to recuperate with few steps and snorkeling on site. We stayed just over 2 weeks both times. This year's visit was just prior to getting the second knee replaced. I arrived with and used a walker everywhere including on the beach and out into the water. Everyone was thoughtful and helpful and I went into surgery relaxed and healthy. We love the beach and the laid-back quality and meeting other people of similar tastes. We'll be back, totally healthy next year!

Room Tip: We find the non-ac rooms a good value. We don't mind the birds early in the morning and like the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LivyGl
Annapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We just got back from Greenwood Beach Resort. What a wonderful trip!!! I felt like I had my own beach place. Food was wonderful, best pumpkin soup I ever had. The cook was a Cat Island resident and you could tell. Very down home cooking. Beach was beautiful. You could walk for miles and not see another person. I would recommend renting a car for the day and visiting the Hermitage. Father Jerome built a home on the largest mountain on the island. Very cool place to visit. This is a place to come and relax! Not a place to come and be entertained.
Plan to go back again. One more thing, you must like dogs, they have 3 wonderful dogs and a lap cat:)f

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank JonelleAnnapolis
San Sebastián
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at the Greenwood Beach Resort with my wife from the 7th to 11th of April and actually ended up cutting our stay short due to our dissatisfaction.
After looking at Greenwood's website, we were expecting a quiet resort with simple clean rooms and good food. I had also been guaranteed by email that I would be able to go scuba diving on a daily basis.

Whilst it is true that the resort is situated in a beautiful location, I would point out that virtually any place on Cat Island is equally so.

The hotel owners are Waldemar and Ana, a 75-year-old German couple who have run the resort for over 20 years. We found them both to be quite rude with no real notion of modern hospitality. Everything that was asked of them was done begrudgingly, even though we were paying for these services.

The facilities at the resort haven't been touched in 20 years and the general state of the buildings and furnishings is pretty shabby.

On arrival we were shown to our room in a very unenthusiastic manner. The room was a small, very basic one with no T.V or fridge and a defective shower.
We had the full meal plan and found that the food was average with absolutely no choice whatsoever. You get what you are given and like it or lump it! The variety of the food that we were served was very limited and definitely over-priced.

There are no other restaurants or shops in the vicinity, so alternatives to eating in-situ are non-existent. The kitchen is closed outside meal times and the pricy self-service bar and common area close at 10pm.

The owners have 3 dogs, which are allowed a free run of the property, including the kitchen and dining area. I have a dog myself and can't understand how the owners allow them to bother guests while they are eating (poking their head on their laps and licking hands!). Two of the dogs looked under-fed and I even saw a couple of ticks on one dog's leg!

The resort offers no activities and the snorkelling around the beach is unimpressive. The dive school is a real joke. I was assured when I made my reservation that diving during my stay was possible. However, when I arrived and saw the "dive school" I began to worry.
I had spoken to the hotel owner the night before my first day diving, and he'd told me I'd be able to dive at 8 am. Nevertheless, he was nowhere to be seen at this time and his wife told me that he was sleeping. She took me to a shed-like building and told me to take the equipment that I needed. On examination, most of the equipment was outdated and in a very poor state of wear.

Eventually, when the owner appeared at 11am, I was given a BCD which was wet and full of seawater. When quizzed on this, he told me that the people he'd dived with the day before had been "idiots" and when he'd returned from the dive in a really bad temper and "had just thrown the equipment into the shed and locked the door".
As there are NO DIVE BOATS at Greenwood Resort and there is no house reef, I was asked to dive with the owners friend 'Bob' on his fishing boat. Bob, an American in his sixties, told me that there wasn' much marine life on the reef and that the local reefs had been damaged by the hurricane. The dive was short and uneventful with very little to see. The air quality of Greenwood's tanks was nasty too. Very disappointing.

After the dive I saw the owner hosing down the BCD and regulator with a hose-pipe rather than submerging them in a rinse tank (which incredibly they don't have!), raising questions on the hygiene of the diving equipment and explaining it's sorry state.

On Greenwood's website they advertise "modern scuba equipment" and "2 fast dive boats", both of which are blatant lies.

There is absolutely no coverage of mobile phone networks from the resort (contrary to other areas of the island) and the internet connection, which is painfully slow at the best of times, comes and goes (the latter for most of the time).

I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone and have written this review in the hope that it might help others avoid the disappointment that I've recently experienced.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange Creek Inn
Orange Creek Inn
#7 of 10 in Cat Island
Love At First Sight Hotel

Been to Greenwood Beach Resort? Share your experiences!