We made our crossing to Bimini from the Hillsbough Inlet in August 2013. The trip took approximately 3 hours. The sea conditions in the Gulf Stream at the time of the crossing were 4 to 6 feet, with a very short duration, which made it difficult to move around a 36 foot bridged boat. We made reservations for a slip at the Bimini Bay Mega Marina online with no problems.
Once in the Bimini North Channel you have to maintain slow speed since you pass the fuel dock, Big Game Club, and other marinas on the way north to the Mega Marina. Maintain slow speed or you will receive shouts from the docks to “slow down”, as happened to boats ahead of us.
As we approached the Bimini Bay Mega Marina, a call to the Harbor Master on channel 16 brought a quick response to switch and answer on channel 68. We received out dock and slip assignment over the VHF and by the time we got to our slip, two dock hands were there to catch our lines, helped us tied up, and connect to shore side power. We stayed on our vessel during our stay at Bimini Bay. The docks are floating, which made getting on and off our vessel very easy.
Checking into the resort was easy, right at the end of the dock. Custom’s is in another area of the resort, however a shuttle was provided to transport us to the customs house. Make sure you have all the passports for your on board guests, the vessel’s documentation papers, and cash to pay the entry fees and for any additional guests. Take water with you in case you have to wait in line at Customs, there is not much shade.
The folks at customs and immigration are very friendly and helpful. They are also on island time, meaning they work at a much slower pace than most of us are accustom to.
We rented a golf cart on line before the trip so we could explore the island; go to the beach, other pools, Alicetown, etc. Santa (really that is his name) delivered the cart dockside with a full propane tank. He gave us his phone number if we had any issues. We did not have to call him; we did run into him repeatedly. He is a real character with a lot of stories that will keep you laughing
There is plenty to do from the casino, lounging by the pools, beaching it, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, world class fishing, etc. A quick trip by boat south of the island is the WW II Sapona This is a great day outing, so pack snacks, drinks, and sunscreen. The ship is grounded in about 15 to 20 feet of crystal clear water and is a great place to snorkel or do some long bottom time SCUBA diving. There is plenty of marine life on and around the vessel; from spotted eagle rays to various corals, damsel fish to barracuda, etc. We found what appeared to be.50 caliber shell casings. At one time the Navy used the vessel for aerial target practice.
The selection of restaurants is okay, however somewhat limited, the quality of the food was fair to good and the prices were comparable to what you would expect in a resort area. The pizza shop had good smoothies, pastries, and lunch menu items. Service is very friendly but a little slow. We were in no hurry during this long weekend so we did not care that it took a while for our orders to come out. Overall a great long weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxurious and modern 750-acre beachfront resort. World class casino. The largest marina in The Bahamas. Unsurpassed amenities and attractions. Turquoise water and white sand beaches for miles. It's all here are Resorts World Bimini...just 50 miles from Miami! The tropical island getaway of Bimini is just hours from Miami. Stroll along miles of white sand beaches beckoning the tranquil sapphire waters of The Bahamas. Escape life's daily demands at Resorts World Bimini as you explore the island's charm, experience our plush accommodations, enjoy a multitude of restaurants and bars and relax in paradise. Play in the boutique Resorts World Bimini Casino - the first with marina and water views. RWB complies with Federal EEO laws. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com and Cancelon so you can book your Resorts World Bimini reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bimini Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Bimini
- Bimini Bay Resort And Marina
- Bimini Bay Hotel Marina
- Resorts World Bimini Bahamas