“Bimini Bay Mega Marina”

Resorts World Bimini
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bimini
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We made our crossing to Bimini from the Hillsbough Inlet in August 2013. The trip took approximately 3 hours. The sea conditions in the Gulf Stream at the time of the crossing were 4 to 6 feet, with a very short duration, which made it difficult to move around a 36 foot bridged boat. We made reservations for a slip at the Bimini Bay Mega Marina online with no problems.

Once in the Bimini North Channel you have to maintain slow speed since you pass the fuel dock, Big Game Club, and other marinas on the way north to the Mega Marina. Maintain slow speed or you will receive shouts from the docks to “slow down”, as happened to boats ahead of us.

As we approached the Bimini Bay Mega Marina, a call to the Harbor Master on channel 16 brought a quick response to switch and answer on channel 68. We received out dock and slip assignment over the VHF and by the time we got to our slip, two dock hands were there to catch our lines, helped us tied up, and connect to shore side power. We stayed on our vessel during our stay at Bimini Bay. The docks are floating, which made getting on and off our vessel very easy.

Checking into the resort was easy, right at the end of the dock. Custom’s is in another area of the resort, however a shuttle was provided to transport us to the customs house. Make sure you have all the passports for your on board guests, the vessel’s documentation papers, and cash to pay the entry fees and for any additional guests. Take water with you in case you have to wait in line at Customs, there is not much shade.

The folks at customs and immigration are very friendly and helpful. They are also on island time, meaning they work at a much slower pace than most of us are accustom to.

We rented a golf cart on line before the trip so we could explore the island; go to the beach, other pools, Alicetown, etc. Santa (really that is his name) delivered the cart dockside with a full propane tank. He gave us his phone number if we had any issues. We did not have to call him; we did run into him repeatedly. He is a real character with a lot of stories that will keep you laughing

There is plenty to do from the casino, lounging by the pools, beaching it, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, world class fishing, etc. A quick trip by boat south of the island is the WW II Sapona This is a great day outing, so pack snacks, drinks, and sunscreen. The ship is grounded in about 15 to 20 feet of crystal clear water and is a great place to snorkel or do some long bottom time SCUBA diving. There is plenty of marine life on and around the vessel; from spotted eagle rays to various corals, damsel fish to barracuda, etc. We found what appeared to be.50 caliber shell casings. At one time the Navy used the vessel for aerial target practice.

The selection of restaurants is okay, however somewhat limited, the quality of the food was fair to good and the prices were comparable to what you would expect in a resort area. The pizza shop had good smoothies, pastries, and lunch menu items. Service is very friendly but a little slow. We were in no hurry during this long weekend so we did not care that it took a while for our orders to come out. Overall a great long weekend.

Room Tip: Sunscreen is a must, hats can come in handy during the afternoon, polarized sun glasses, bottled wat...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ryurecka

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We took the mini super fast over on. A Friday a.m. And we're enjoying bimini by2 pm. My husband and I Stayed in a two bedroom townhouse. The back porch face the ocean which was the most beatific shade of blue I have ever seen. The sunsets are to die for. We ate at several places throughout the resort. Our favorite was the lunch buffet inside of the casino. Make sure you try the fish dip anywhere it is offered. The casino had everything a gambler could need table games and new slots. Staff is friendly and helpful. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kerri C
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Excellent cruise! 2 enthusiastic thumbs up, given from a world class traveler. We traveled the New Year's Eve overnight party cruise, I must say I was very impressed. At first I was a bit skeptic about the cruise after reading all the terrible reviews but they were not entirely true. Truth is that yes I agree that the administrative office is a bit disorganized I booked 2 tickets with a sales rep over the phone and never received the email with the itinerary. It was frustrating and difficult getting in touch with the same agent again, however she did get in touch with me after some hours and apologized deeply and resent me the information staying on the phone with me until I received it. She was even nice enough to give me her personal direct line to get in touch with her if I had any other questions or concerns. Secondly, the address of the location they sent on the email was a bit confusing for they enclosed 2 different addresses, one for the world resort offices, and the other for the actual port where the traveler is suppose to go. The email posted the office address in big bold letters, not specifying that that was the office location and NOT the actual location where we had to go. When we got there the omni parking security officer told us it was the other location so that was annoying, so yes in that sense I can see the disorganization all the reviews were complaining about. However, once we got in there it was "smooth sailing" pun intended. Zero lines, we got right in printed our passes and zipped right thru security. Once we got on the boat it was very clean and well maintained. Guest services were very friendly, welcoming and attentive. The 3 course dinner at the Ponce de Leon restaurant was delicious considering food from a smaller cruise line. I was expecting a crappy menu but surprisingly, they had salads and soups to chose from, and fish, pork, pasta, chicken, and surf n turf for entree. Surf in turf was very delicious!! One free cocktail, and desserts where included with the dinner package. Dinner was only a 20min wait for a table but if you put your name on the list you can go around the boat and do other things and come back to be seated. So that was good. The cost of the booze were very good prices. Also an Excellent waitstaff (pretty much Asian) very hospitable and polite. My boyfriend ordered us a bottle of champagne Cristal Rose it was only $220!! A night club in south beach charges $600 + for the same exact bottle and we had our own private table with an ocean view with breath taking views of the new year firework display! Very memorable experience and we will def be trying the day cruise in the very near future!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Rubylicious83
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I purchased a groupon and livingsocial deal for a group of 5 of us and we had a blast. We choose the day cruise option and had a blast. Next time we plan on staying at the resort because it looks really nice.

It is a short trip but for the price we paid 62.50 and 50 per person it was well worth it. An hour prior to arrival I'd ask where to line up so you can ensure you are off the boat first because you only have a short time on the island upon arriving. We saw some people arguing about having to wait on line. But that is the way of the world. You just have to ask questions and they will tell you exactly where to go. During the cruise they had entertianment dj music games and a casino. For majortity of the ride we layed out on the chairs relaxing because we were still tired from running around the night prior.

There is a shuttle boat that takes you from the cruise boat over to Bimini. Than they have long carts that give you the option to continue to the Resort and casino or to go to Alice Town. I like to hang around locals so I opted for Alice Town. Along the way we stopped for Conch Salad and Khalik which was perfect. Upon reaching the beach area there was a straw market across the street several food vendors and the beach. I have been to the Bahamas several times and had the fried lobster. Which was not as good as I've had in Freeport and in Nassau. But it was still nice to see the area and take the ride over.

We took the shuttle back and one thing I wish I knew was there were showers all the way in the back where the boats and water are. A bigger and cleaner bathroom. Everyone was lining up a tthe bathroom at the bar which wasn't working properly. The bathroom looked brand spanking new and many people didn't go maybe because it was a little bit farther away. But i'm glad I did. Had I known there were showers there I would have also bought a change of clothes. We got back on the boat had drinks at the bar danced to the music a little. I was probably the only one dancing and I love reaggae so when the DJ noticed I was really into the reggae he played me a great playlist. We than when downstairs for a little karaoke. And we were than back in Miami. We had a blast!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ndennifer
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Had a blast! We took the day cruise to Bimini. The staff were very friendly and kind. The beach was amazing! The food on the boat was ok. I was not impressed with the food selection at the Leon restaurant. However, the entertainment and drinks were good! It's truly what you make of it. Had a blast and will go again to stay at the resort!

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank shannondigi
Reviewed December 1, 2013

First Bimini Bay is a nice setting with a great marina, a respectable beach and limited restaurants. It's location remote from Alice town seems much more secure. A lot of $ has been spent on this development and it has it's high points and is a worthy destination close to Florida to enjoy as long as your expectations are not too high.

On my recent visit I tried the new Casino and on it's surface it appeared to be a good potential attraction that may help the resort. Unfortunately my experience at Black Jack soured my expectations. I was playing at the $25.00 chip table and just about breaking even when I clearly passed on another card for my hand. My friends heard and saw the pass. When I objected to the additional card I was lectured on table etiquette by a surly maiden pit boss. I don't know if it was lack of training but be assured the "customer is not right here". They admonished me for not being clear, thus blaming me for the error. A classy establishment would have offered me a refund , apologized for the misunderstanding and re-dealt the hand. unfortunately this is not a classy operation. I left the table and I will not return to this Casino. I feel badly for Bimini Bay they should expect better from this tenant.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank beckett1
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I'll start out by saying that we are all hotel and restaurant managers in south beach. We purchased our groupon for a round trip cruise with RWB and a one night stay in Bimini. That was the only easy and painless part of this experience. It took us over a week of calling and emails to make our reservation ( we purchased 6 packages for 12 of us) we finally got through to them and booked for November 24th (Sunday) and returning on Monday the 25th of November. That was done on October 20. Today November 20th, just 4 days before our group was to leave we decided to call to reconfirm our reservations.. This is the great part! I was told by about the rudest young man i have ever spoken with that RWBIMINI no longer sails on Mondays or for that matter Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday. He said that I should have gotten an email last week. We all 12 people never received anything! To make a long story short, we are not going on our cruise. I tried to ask him for alternatives and basically was told that we could leave Saturday. I tried to explain that we are in the hospitality industry and that was impossible to do. We have planned this for a month and all 12 of us had painstakingly requested our time off and so on. What really gets me is that none of us had been contacted at anytime. Had I not called to confirm there would have been 12 people on Sunday at 7am standing at port of Miami and with no trip!!! This company is a joke. They have No concept of guest service or professionalism. We are now forced to call groupon and try to fight for our money back because RWBIMINI redeemed our vouchers! Again for a trip that doesn't exist! I can only tell you.... PLEASE DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT GIVING THESE PEOPLE YOUR MONEY, and much less your vacation time which is precious. There are plenty of other options in south Florida. You have been humbly warned.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
24  Thank truthaboutthings
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bimini
Hilton At Resorts World Bimini
#2 of 23 in Andros
Ocean Pearl Bonefish Resort
Ocean Pearl Bonefish Resort
#9 of 13 in Freeport

Been to Resorts World Bimini? Share your experiences!