Tiamo Resort
Swain's Cay Lodge(Andros)(Great Value!)
$141
The Pointe Resort(Andros)(Great Value!)
$175
  • Breakfast included
$501
$381
$129
All reviewsprivate poolbone fishinglocal staffsand fliescongo townother guestsvisited tiamowhite sandbug spraychef keithmarine biologistdaily snorkelingsmall gymwater activitiesthe entire staffboat captainget away
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I spent a fabulous and relaxing week at Tiamo for our babymoon in early March. We are used to traveling all day with several layovers and arriving exhausted when we take a Caribbean vacation, so the first thing we loved about Tiamo was how easy it is to get there, especially for being SO secluded! We hopped an easy flight from DC to Ft Lauderdale and took a short charter flight with Watermaker Air. We arrived, refreshed after a short boat ride, and were blown away by how beautiful and remote Tiamo's location is. We LOVE tiny resorts, so seeing the small speckling of villas and gorgeous clubhouse/infinity pool right on the beach was heaven for us.

We stayed in the Exclusive Pool Villa, on the outer end of the resort, which I highly recommend. We had none of the privacy issues that others have experienced, and spent lots of time out on our huge deck and lolling by the pool. The villa was cozy but well-appointed. We did not mind walking out on the porch to get to the bathroom. We had AC but only used it intermittently.

Because I'm pregnant, we were not looking for a high-activity vacation. We wanted to be left to our own devices, and that we were! We did not arrange for any activities ahead of time, but had no problem signing on for a same-day snorkeling trip, where we and another guest were taken about 15 minutes away from the resort for a leisurely hour of snorkeling amongst healthy, live coral and HUGE schools of fish. Most days, we simply walked to the dock and picked up one of Tiamo's pristine kayaks, some paddle boards, or other equipment and explored the deserted shores of the island. It was blissful. The staff were friendly but not intrusive. For those looking for more adventure, the options are plentiful. Our fellow guests had private bone fishing lessons, went on wildly successful deep sea fishing ventures (and we got to eat the catch!), took wilderness trail walks, and spoke highly of trips with the scuba instructor.

Almost better than the scenery and relaxation was the food! In seven days, we never ate the same thing twice and were NEVER disappointed. The variety, presentation and quality of the food was entirely five-star. Drinks were tasty but expensive (they did not offer me a discount for making mine alcohol-free, either) so next time we will definitely stop at the duty-free shop. The villa fridge is stocked with tons of sodas and mixers, which are refreshed daily free of charge.

Overall we decided that this was the perfect, romantic babymooning location, and we will most definitely be back for a parents' getaway!

A few notes on traveling in March: Because it was still low season, the resort was almost empty. We loved this. Evenings were cool, sometimes requiring a sweater. The ocean and pool water was not "bathtub warm" by any means, but was certainly swimmable. And we encountered almost no bugs, though the few bites I did get were indeed painful. Overall, I would highly recommend traveling to Tiamo in early spring like we did.

Room Tip: The Exclusive Pool Villa was the most secluded and had the largest deck and pool area. Highly recommend.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Julia R
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Tiamo is a very nice vacation spot and I see why so many people really love it. But: I relied heavily on the reviews here in deciding to stay there for my honeymoon, and I feel like there are some distinctly weird/rough edges that are not represented here that I wish I had known about in advance. So consider this a public service announcement, not a massive gripe. The main issues we had:

-Privacy. While the island itself is very remote, the cabins are only about 10 yards apart. Some have foliage in between but others (mine!) have nothing but scrub. This leaves you exposed as the walls of your room are all glass doors (that don't lock!) AND the showers/toilets are outdoors and have NO shutters, drapes etc. This is a bizarre and obvious issue as, at least in our room, the walls weren't so high that people can't see your bits if they pass at an inopportune moment. (My bits, for instance, were surprised by the groundsmen fumigating behind the cabin and the French dad showering next door until I finally persuaded the hotel manager to cover up the windows with boards, which took a lot of insisting, as though I was crazy for not wanting French Dad witnessing my ablutions for the next six days.)
-Bugs. That leave insane, painful welts all over your body and are impervious to consumer-strength bug spray, despite the hotel's best efforts to protect you. Like, one lady had to go to a clinic to get cortisone shots. If I were to go back it would be with DEET-caliber insect repellent.
-Expensive, sometimes tricky, markups on drinks at the restaurant. Bringing duty free provisions recommended.
-Spa. Is a joke, and is rarely open anyway. Avoid.
-Unresponsive staff (mainly management/reception -- the guides/waiters are great).It was difficult to get follow-through with easy questions/requests (like: we want to know when the scuba trip leaves, where can we get some first aid supplies...nothing taxing) and overall reluctance to fix more serious problems (like the aforementioned "people can see my boobs when I shower" situation). There is an occasional tinge of combativeness and inflexibility with some of the staff that I found very, very off-putting -- at the very least it is not the easy, uber-professional graciousness you expect from an actual luxury hotel, even boutique.

That said: all of the good things about the reported elsewhere are true. It's nice - just not as "perfect" as I was anticipating based on reviews.

Room Tip: Avoid the cabin closest to the pool. You might want to ask "can people walking by see into my bathroom?" before booking. If the "pool suite" is available definitely go with that one - it looked great.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Katie D
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I believe this tiny resort is the best place on earth I have ever seen. The location is outstanding for those who are looking for a wild carribean spot with preserved nature, water and sealife. It was by chance, attending a scuba diving fair in Paris, that I signed up to Tiamo for three nights and while having already discovered among the most beautifull places on earth I was truly impressed. those moments where you tell yourself "I cannot believe it !". Besides that, the staff was also a big part of that pleasure. David was the best scuba diving teacher ever met, Julien a very warmfull and helpfull manager as well as all the rest of the staff. But please keep this place secret, just go, but do not tell anyone alse in order to preserve it !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank christophe f
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I just spent 4 nights. For us, the combination of serious bone-fishing plus luxury accommodations is the best we've experienced. The service is outstanding as is the food, the decor, the privacy, and the location. Everything is done right. We particularly liked the availability of first rate water sports equipment right on the dock as well as in the dive shop, all freely available with no hassle and with someone nearby to help you launch and learn. We used one short downtime from fishing to sail a Hobie Cat for the first time and had a blast. In regards to the fishing, Capn Marvin was amazing, we saw many beautiful places and tons of fish. And the hotel stocked our boat every morning with delicious lunch sandwiches and snacks. Every evening there is a beautiful bar, amazing appetizers and a gourmet meal overlooking the Bight to look forward to. Minor suggestions would be hooks at the cabins to dry gear, and a closed boat for the short ferry ride from the hotel to the town in the case of inclement weather which we experienced on our last day. Also the hotel could use a hot tub/jacuzzi. But we are going back and probably soon.

Room Tip: Stayed in the pool room and used the pool almost every day.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at the Tiamo Resort leaving a little less than a week ago. It was absolutely amazing. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. The rooms quiet and comfortable. The grounds were kept very clean. I will definitely return to Tiamo. The level of service and the seclusion from the rest of the world make it well worth their price point.

Room Tip: We chose a room with AC. Although it was a little cool the first two days we were there, I can see the importance of having a room with AC.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple