“Best place on earth”
Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I believe this tiny resort is the best place on earth I have ever seen. The location is outstanding for those who are looking for a wild carribean spot with preserved nature, water and sealife. It was by chance, attending a scuba diving fair in Paris, that I signed up to Tiamo for three nights and while having already discovered among the most beautifull places on earth I was truly impressed. those moments where you tell yourself "I cannot believe it !". Besides that, the staff was also a big part of that pleasure. David was the best scuba diving teacher ever met, Julien a very warmfull and helpfull manager as well as all the rest of the staff. But please keep this place secret, just go, but do not tell anyone alse in order to preserve it !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank christophe f

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I just spent 4 nights. For us, the combination of serious bone-fishing plus luxury accommodations is the best we've experienced. The service is outstanding as is the food, the decor, the privacy, and the location. Everything is done right. We particularly liked the availability of first rate water sports equipment right on the dock as well as in the dive shop, all freely available with no hassle and with someone nearby to help you launch and learn. We used one short downtime from fishing to sail a Hobie Cat for the first time and had a blast. In regards to the fishing, Capn Marvin was amazing, we saw many beautiful places and tons of fish. And the hotel stocked our boat every morning with delicious lunch sandwiches and snacks. Every evening there is a beautiful bar, amazing appetizers and a gourmet meal overlooking the Bight to look forward to. Minor suggestions would be hooks at the cabins to dry gear, and a closed boat for the short ferry ride from the hotel to the town in the case of inclement weather which we experienced on our last day. Also the hotel could use a hot tub/jacuzzi. But we are going back and probably soon.

Room Tip: Stayed in the pool room and used the pool almost every day.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at the Tiamo Resort leaving a little less than a week ago. It was absolutely amazing. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. The rooms quiet and comfortable. The grounds were kept very clean. I will definitely return to Tiamo. The level of service and the seclusion from the rest of the world make it well worth their price point.

Room Tip: We chose a room with AC. Although it was a little cool the first two days we were there, I can see...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul F
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just spent two nights here with my wife. If you want an island paradise, it is hard to imagine a better place. Very intimate with only a dozen or so rooms. Accessible only by water means quiet and privacy. We happened to be there at the same time as a world famous celebrity couple who clearly valued the privacy and luxury. It was FAR superior in every way to Compass Point on Nassau which somehow was rate #1 in the Bahamas.
Food was terrific and place was well maintained. Our room was not air conditioned (some are), but it was February and we did not even need the ceiling fans. The attention to detail was fantastic. Every villa is just a few feet from the waters edge. My only "complaint" is that there was nowhere to dry our wet suits and other snorkeling gear. (The hooks on the porch are not really adequate for this). I can recommend Tiamo without reservation for a "get away from it all" vacation.

Room Tip: Some have AC some do not. I personally don't like AC. Our room #105 was beautiful. It did not ha...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bensage
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was referred to Tiamo by my fly fishing outfitter. Because of its unique location in S. Andros Tiamo has pole position access to some of the most iconic bonefish flats in the world. Tiamo set me up with phenomenal guide Cpn Marvin Miller. The bone fishing did not disappoint, even tho I was fishing in the Aug low season at times the flat was a traffic jam of bones. On one day I had caught 10+ bones and then stopped counting. Also these are Androvian bones and on average the biggest bones in all the destinations I have fished.
My GF accompanied me on the trip and she is an underwater photographer. There are a myriad of blue holes to dive, and Tiamo have a great boat and dive staff. She was the only diver that week so she was treated like a princess.
Now for the resort. The pricing may seem on the high side but this is easily a 5 star resort with a European dynamic. Makia took care of all bookings and transfers with efficiency and seamless service. The accommodations are impeccable. But the hi light folks is the FOOD. Chef Keith's food was exemplary, every meal was simply superb. So much so my GF took a cooking lesson with Keith..he is a master Chef. Wilfried the GM brings a Paris flair to the property which is uniquely refreshing. We shall return.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alistair C
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I took our honeymoon here last year and loved Tiamo. For us on our honeymoon it was the perfect place to stay; that said I wouldn't recommend the hotel for a family getaway with children (not much to keep them entertained) or to people looking for an active nightlife scene.

The magic of Tiamo begins almost immediately as your taxi from the airport takes you to a private boat for a ride across a turquise bay to Tiamo. As you speed across the water you'll probably pass over coral, schools of fish, blue holes, star fish and, maybe even a shark (we saw several!). We were met at the dock by the hotel manager, who asked if we'd like to go deep sea fishing to catch dinner! I admit we were a little taken aback, but how could we refuse? This is the nature of the resort, it's super friendly, laid back and ready to cater to your whims. Throughout the week whenever we wanted to go sailing, kayaking, or snorkeling we just asked one of the staff members and they made it happen immediately.

I think the food must be mentioned because it is delicious. Everyday you have breakfast, lunch and dinner on a beautiful deck overlooking the "bight" (a narrow channel of water seperating the islands of Andros and South Andros). The menu is limited to several options, but each meal is always new (nothing was ever repeated) and the food was extremely fresh. My favorite? Curried snapper.

All in all it was a dream vacation made possible by a beautiful location and an extremely welcoming staff!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Alex Q
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We took a weekend 'getaway' to Tiamo because it was remote and we were looking for a peaceful and romantic location. It was remote (we took the WesternAir flight from nassau to get there) and quiet in that very few guests were there when we were, but they were doing construction during our visit (which they did not tell us about) so we did have to listen to the sound of construction throughout the day instead of the sound of waves on the shore. The location is generally very beautiful with great snorkeling that's easy to get to. We didn't fish but lots of other guests enjoyed the fishing and had good success.

The staff is real friendly (Colyn, the manager and 'Sam' the bartender are especially fantastic) and they seemed eager to make us happy. The atmosphere was relaxed and the food was probably the best resort food we're ever had. The cottages were charming and we generally enjoyed our time there. There are a few things though, that Tiamo could do to align the experience with the price tag.

First, due to a design flaw, the bathrooms flood terribly when you shower and remain soaked until the room is serviced. If they were to put a small ledge between the shower and the toilet, it would contain the flooding. OR if they provided a long squeegee in the bathroom, guests could manage the flooding on their own after their showers.

Secondly, they told us that they were going to refresh our room refrigerator daily - including the milk . Though during our stay, they never did that and the milk in our refrigerator just got more and more rancid over the course of 4 days. I'm sure they would have refreshed it if we had asked, but there's no way to ask them without going up to the club house and we never remembered to ask when we went up there for dinner.

The 'spa' is nothing more than a single small room and the massage I received was not very good.

They advertise their 'walking trails' as one of the resort features but they are so overgrown as to be barely passable (and you have to walk past the resort garbage dump on your way to 'nature').

We enjoyed the non-motorized water sports but it was hard to get any assistance with them since it was frequently difficult to find any staff around.

So yes, romantic and charming with a lovely staff and we did have a nice time. But we also found it expensive for the experience and we feel that with a little bit of effort, they could make it more worthy of the price tag.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank thezaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#1 of 9 in Andros
Kamalame Cay
Kamalame Cay
#2 of 9 in Andros

Been to Tiamo Resort? Share your experiences!