“Paradise Lost? Found here...”
Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed at the beautiful Tiamo for a long weekend. It was a surprise gift and could not have been a better one. Our hosts met us at the arrival boat and it was the beginning of a truly pampering experience. Every one of the staff were friendly, fun and conscientious. Although many guests enjoy the resort as a base for bone fishing, we thought that their other watersport equipment was top notch and had fun with the paddle boards and clear kayaks in particular. The water is filled with wildlife and the overall feel of the resort is (very) quiet luxury. Between the palm trees, white sand, conch, ray and sea turtle-filled, turquoise waters, this is quite the place. The food offerings are lovely to look at and delicious too. and we are foodies... my only comment would be to change up breakfast a bit.. continental offerings seem slightly out of place in such an environment - it would have been more interesting and delicious to have homemade muffins or similar treats rather than average croissants etc. All in all, it was hardly a reason to complain and leaving Tiamo is very, very difficult to do!

Room Tip: We stayed in the beautiful pool room which includes a small jacuzzi (although it does not get partic...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank apm07

Reviewed January 12, 2012

For our wedding anniversary, my husband gave me a nice surprise... He took me to spend a long weekend on the almost deserted island of South Andros, in the Bahamas... Tiamo resort is like a jewel in a natural setting between palms, white sand beach and turquoise sea! It was a wonderful and quiet time, even if we have sometimes been a bit incommoded during the day by the sound of construction work of the new dive center. Nonetheless, it was exactly what I wanted for celebrate this kind of event. The resort also received new transparent canoes, with which you can see some fish and starfish around the location... Awesome! The chef is exceptional; everything was excellent. On the other hand, there are some small details in the service or in the decoration that can be changed for a perfect magical ambiance! But it has been difficult to leave the island!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Caroline S
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at the resort and had a great time. I was at first taken aback that she had booked a place that boasted of bonefishing, but I’m not one to complain when my wife suggests I go fishing.

There was plenty for my wife to do while I was fishing and plenty for me to do when I wasn’t fishing and to say Tiamo is just a fishing resort does Tiamo a terrible injustice. Located on the largest of the Bahamas Islands, yet the least inhabited, the trip to Tiamo is truly an adventure. There are no cars, no bars, no sightseeing, casinos, nor is there golf. That was just fine with us. This is exactly the place we were looking for. My wife did fish with me once, but she spent most of the time relaxing.

I fished mainly in the morning and did very well. I also was able to fish the way I like best; walk on the endless flats that surround the resort. I saw some big bonefish, but I landed mostly smaller ones. Still, they put up a great fight. There were also plenty of barracuda and snapper around and I landed several of each. Next time we go back to Tiamo, I think we’ll go in April. That’s when the fishing is best. I brought my own equipment, but the resort has several top of the line Sage’s that anyone can borrow. Bring some bright orange and yellow flies along with a floating line.

There were snorkeling trips everyday and we went sailing everyday. My wife enjoyed a message or two, and I must admit, I enjoyed mine as well.

The food was fresh and very tasty and the chef has a special talent with both presentation and taste. Fresh fish was always on the menu, along with a meat entrée. Service was impeccable and the accommodations were top notch.

We had a terrific cottage. The bed was perhaps the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. Our cottage was right at the water’s edge. There was truly no need to worry about anything. Bonefish were tailing right outside of our cottage when the tide was right. It was incredible.

Everything was very casual and low-key. Bill, the owner was very friendly and even took some of the guests out deep sea fishing, gratis.

My wife and I look forward to our next adventure at Tiamo. We’ve been to many islands and many resorts. This happens to be one of our favorites.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChasNewJersey
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We just returned from another excellent stay at Tiamo. The place is under new ownership and management since our last stay and lots of changes and improvements are in progress. There are new boats for watersports and construction is underway on a new PADI dive center. The main look and feel of the resort is still the same, which is what keeps us going back. Tiamo is the place to get away from it all with lots of peace and quiet and the option to do any number of activities, or just do nothing at all. The bonefishing with local guides is excellent, and you can also take a walk/wade and catch bonefish just off the shoreline if that is your thing. The dining is outstanding, some of the best food we have had anywhere. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are simple but luxurious and well appointed (minus a much needed mirror in the main room rather than just in the bathroom). Well done Tiamo, we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KKLONDONUK
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Tiamo is a very nice little resort. Good idea to book all inclusive here. About 15 small, moderately maintained cottages on the beach.

Service was a little unfriendly, waiters having a slight attitude, with the exception of the bartender, forgot his name, but he really made an effort to make sure you were happy with your orders.

The food was delicious and refined, standard continental breakfast, but preset menus for lunch and dinner. The portions were a bit small, but still delicious.

Did not like that the bathrooms were separate from the bedroom. To get to the bathroom, you have to walk outside the cottage bedroom on the deck, which is visible to the neighbor cottage.

No TVs or internet in the bedrooms, which is nice as it really makes you feel disconnected from the rest of the world.

Was high tide when we went, which was in May, so the beach didn't look like it does in the pictures, low tide, shallow waters. Would be curious when is the low tide during the year.

Nice that you can go kayaking to small neighboring islands, pack some snacks and drinks, lay out and enjoy your own private beach.

Definitely worth it, and will visit again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wali S
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a special place to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary...it had to be a small boutique hotel on the beach in a unique location offering fishing and romance (in that order!), privacy, beautiful accommodations, swimming pool, great food, fitness center, no children...

We found all of this at Tiamo! Watermakers Air out of Ft. Lauderdale (fabulous service-check them out) had us at the airport on Andros in just over an hour where a taxi was waiting to take us to the dock to catch a 5 minute boat taxi ride to the resort. We knew we had picked the right place as we pulled up to the dock.

The is a small resort. 10 wonderful cottages line the beach. They are one of the most unique accommodations I have stayed in and can't say enough how much we enjoyed the privacy of the cottage as each one is surrounded by vegetation. The wrap around screened porch is perfect for reading on a rainy afternoon. The bedroom is large with the most comfortable bed and the unique set-up of the bathroom was truly fun. You will just have to see for yourselves...

The staff was very courteous and helpful, and the managers were always there to help with any requests or arrangements that needed to be made. It was also great fun to have the managers join the guests when gathering for drinks in the open air great room bar before dinner. It was a time to hear interesting stories about the island and to get to know other guests. And the food was beyond what we had expected. Each plate was beautifully presented and you just knew it was going to be delicious. This is 5 star restaurant dining. We looked forward to every meal!

Andros is known as the place to go for bonefish. And it was everything we thought it would be. A guide was arranged during our stay and would pick us up in the mornings at the resort's dock. These guys know where to find the fish and are very patient with those of us who are novices at fly fishing!

We chose to fish only half days so we could spend the rest of the day doing other things like snorkeling, reading, lounging by the pool, working out in the small gym (so we could eat more food!), or exploring the beach. The resort is located right on a stretch of beautiful beach that was great for swimming and combing for shells. The resort has its own boats and it would make at least one, maybe two daily snorkeling trips which were great fun. And it was nice to see these areas unspoiled unlike other places in the Bahamas.

I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed this wonderful adventure. We are looking forward to returning to this beautiful piece of paradise!

Room Tip: In summer, get A/C
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SBinflorida
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of having 5 days at Tiamo over the last days of June through July 4th. When we booked the trip we had reservations about traveling to Andros in July. Boy were we wrong. We arrived the first day and were the only guest but were made to feel right at home as Moraq and Matt layed out the red carpet. Over the next 4 night there were two other couple that were both pleasant and entertaining.
Over the 5 nights, I am not sure which meal I enjoyed the most, because the chef made each one a total delight. Meals ranged from, lamb, duck, fresh tuna fresh snapper and his chilled soups were off the charts. All in all I felt like I was in a 5 star dining experience from the beginning.
As far as the activities at Tiamo: I really like to fish and have a hard time siting still. My wife on the other hand is active but doesn't mind sitting on the beach and relaxing. Tiamo was a perfect compliment of both. I spent 3 half days with guides bonefishing and the rest of the time catching fish from the shore. I will report that my wife did catch a bigger fish than I did, I believe it was a 7 pound bonefish.
When they tell you that there are fish right there, believe them as it was a very common event to see tailing fish daily during high tides. We also snorkeled, kayaked and fish for tuna with the owner one day.
The accomodations very delightful, with well decorated rooms and some of the most comfortable beds we have sleeped in.
When we left on the Sea Plane from Safari Sea Planes, my wife tapped me on the shoulder and didn't asked but demanded that we come back. Rest assure we will.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple