“paradise exists!”
Review of Tiamo Resort

Tiamo Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed for five nights at Tiamo and had a wonderful time! The place itself is so quiet and beautifully located and exclusive that you relax straight away. The food is amazing, the staff so nice and warm and the owner who was there when we stayed a charismatic and unique guy always ready to help and give advice. We loved the fact that there were only a few cabins and the nature is great. We are both not into bone-fishing, but loved to snorkel and scuba dive.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gretchen75
There are newer reviews for Tiamo Resort

Reviewed June 19, 2011

Tiamo is a little slice of heaven. From the minute you arrive, you know that you are somewhere special. We stayed in one of the Cool Cottages which have air conditioning. I highly recommend these cottages. If you are a man on your own, staying in the open air cottages will be fine and reminiscent of fishing camp. If you are a lady wanting comfort, I'd stay in one of the air conditioned units. You will not hear the jungle sounds all night and you will sleep much better. The food at Tiamo was really good. I always felt full but never overdone and I actually felt like I was staying healthy on vacation. They don't stuff you day and night, but the staff is always available to fix you anything. My husband actually got sick while there and they brought him food and medicine and really checked in on him. The only service issue I might suggest is sometimes the beach service for drinks etc it a little absent. I didn't mind walking a short distance to the bar to ask for whatever I needed, but a stop by my chair more often would have been a nice and expected touch. However, that is a small critique in the overall picture of things. I was also glad to see that the family style dinners of the past were eliminated and private dining with your individual party down by the beach was the daily ritual. Guests did mingle around the bar area for drinks before dinner which was fun because Tiamo attracts a very interesting and mostly European crowd. It was really a treat meeting some of the other guests. Then there is the fishing. Everything is taken care of for you once you book you excursions. I would not suggest bone fishing if you have never fly fished before. It is very difficult. However, it is an experience like no other. Wow! Another nice aspect of Tiamo is the daily activities. You can partake or not. The snorkeling was great and fun. It's not an all day thing and you get a great experience without using your entire day. They provide everything you need. In fact, I wouldn't bring much on your trip. You won't need it. In March, however, you will need a little jacket. It is cool at night. This was a great time of year to go and I would definitely recommend going back. Ladies, get in on this fishing trip with your guy. You won't want to miss it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank belletx
Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed here for one week and were lucky enough to have the place to ourselves for a few days, which is particularly good here since the "nature concierge" organises trips based on what the majority of guests want to do each day.

Hard to find any fault with this place; we expected big things from the food to the seclusion, and were not disappointed. On top of that the staff were all extremely friendly, most of them local to Andros, and all told great stories, and worked wonders behind the bar.

We stayed in the pool villa (think there's only one of these) which was at the far end of the beach. Had our own terrace, loungers and hammock on the beach, and a small pool. There was a small kitchen with a good selection of teas and soft drinks, plus walk in wardrobe. Bathroom with his and her's sinks, and environmentally-friendly toiletries.

There's activities to suit most people - you can take it easy on the beach, enjoy a massage, or go out on snorkeling, sailing, diving or kayak trips. There's also a very short nature trail which is usually good for spotting the odd iguana around lunch time.

It is in quite a remote spot - when we got off the plane at Congo Town the other passenger asked us why we were getting off in the middle of nowhere - but we never felt our experience suffered for it, in fact it was great to be off the beaten track for once.

Can't wait to return - Tiamo you are sorely missed.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank miken78
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Just returned from a trip to Tiamo with my wife. Booked many months in advance after it was recommended by my fishing travel agency. I am an avid fly angler, and have always wanted to go bonefishing. Trouble is, my wife has not taken to angling as I have, and when I finally had the chance to book a trip - I wanted to make sure it would be to a place she would find enjoyable as a non-angler. I was worried about the trade-offs between the quality of the fishing, and the quality of the experience for the non-angler.

I am pleased to report that Tiamo surpassed our expectations on all fronts.

First, the fishing was fantastic! Location on the South Bight has bonefish, barracuda, jacks, and snapper, right at your doorstep. With the help of the wonderful fishing guide staff, my wife and I were on the fish from day one. Had bonefish on the fly from the water in front of the lodge, all the way out to the West Side of Andros. I caught bonefish from the flats boat and wading. A great experience sight casting to lots of singles, doubles and even a few large schools. Saw some large tarpon near the West Side porposing, but we didn't have time to cast to them. The guides were excellent at teaching, and our guide was able to instruct my wife how to sight, cast, hook and land 3 bonefish (this was only her 3rd time fishing). She enjoyed it so much that she is now looking forward to our next fishing trip together. A highlight of the vacation was a casual evening trip that the lodge owner got together at the last minute (after I had already been out for a full day of guided bonefishing). I joined him, along with the lodge's naturalist, on the lodge's flats boat, out into the bight towards the ocean, trolling for barracuda. After hooking and jumping 2-3 barracudas, one quite large, we finally managed to get one to the boat. What a way to end the day! My only fishing regret was not having another day to try out the deep sea fishing experience the lodge offers.

The accomodations were lovely, and our cottage was private, beautifuly furnished and luxurious. The nights there were quiet, the sunsets gorgeous and the night sky star-filled. The meals, prepared by chef Keith, were spectacular. The lodge staff had arranged a trip to a local homecoming festival on neighboring Mangrove Cay, and while there, we ate fresh conch salad and fritters. However, I missed the opportunity to try the 'cracked conch.' When I related the story to one of the lodge staff, she notified chef Keith, who proceeded to prepare an exquisite rendition of cracked conch, from the freshest conch pulled right from the waters at the end of the dock! For our last meal at the lodge, the staff put together a private dining table next to the fully lit infinity pool. A great thing for us, was the ability to fish the morning, be back at the lodge for a gourmet lunch, drop my wife off at the lodge, and I could be back out with the guide for the afternoon bonefish bite.

The staff were solicitious, and very friendly and welcoming. The owners made us feel right at home. Couldn't have asked for a better combination of a bonefishing experience and superb food, accomodations and service. Would certainly go back in an instant.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NJAngler
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Food was out outstanding.
Special mention to Keith, Tito and Emerald for there fantastically polite and skilled service!
Rooms are well air-conditioned (a feature that many hotels struggle with) and simple but very nice.
Good wi-fi services and good t.v. (although it lacks some sports channels - strange considering sport is the only real demand for television at such a place).
Great bone-fishing and deep sea fishing.
Quiet but very friendly place.
Beautiful.
Great stay

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank stewartwj
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Very friendly and helpfull staff. Loads to do, including wonderful fishing over miles of flats. Great rooms and unbelievable food. Excellent bug system giving hassle free envirnoment. Love every moment and long to return.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2011

This dreamy place is the most picturesque beach location imaginable. It reopened at christmas 2009 having been beautifully refurbished and now the project has been realised into the vision. The design and the comfort, the sublime food and the service and most especially the ambiance are all exceptional. We spent a week there with our 2 mid- twenties children with the most fabulous weather, swimming, snorkling, sailing, fishing, diving and chilling. We also enjoyed meeting the other guests and the sociable atmosphere created by our hosts in the evenings and on the excursions. What a treat.!

Room Tip: Exceptional relaxing, luxurious and beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2011