“Overcharged”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Andros
Seascape Inn, Andros
Ranked #1 of 5 Andros B&B and Inns
Merritt Island, Florida
“Overcharged”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have been to many small Bahamian hotels and most are pretty decent but this excursion was one of the worst. The hotel was picked due to its affordable prices and the hotel was not all that bad. We must have gone at the wrong time (end of July) because we were the only 2 couples staying there along with the owner. The owner was extremely friendly, enough so that he stood on the side of the bar and interrupted and took over our dinner conversations each night to where they were not enjoyable anymore. The food was also below average with cauliflower and under-cooked baked potato being served as side dishes each night. This was all fine and dandy until we got smacked with a huge up charge of $20 per night for a room with extra space (even though there were 5 rooms and we only occupied 2 of them). The owner was also aware of the fishing trip that he had booked that was to not return until noon time and stated it would be suitable to check out after the men returned. A late check out fee was charged, even though the rooms were not physically occupied and we had left 30 minutes after the deadline. We also inquired about a private pilot discount that had been seen in an advertisement prior to planning the trip, and the owner stated that he no longer gave that discount and did not care too much for private pilots (which we were). The experience would have been ok until we were unfairly up charged without notice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lala1083
swainsdog, Owner at Seascape Inn, Andros, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
This reviewer is not stating the facts. While I cannot remember what they had as side dishes 2 ½ months ago, I can set the record straight as to the charges they incurred.
Late Check Out: Check out time is 10 AM. Check out times and fees are posted on the rates page of our web site and as required by law posted in each room. As two of them were on a fishing trip until 12 noon I don’t know how they could have checked out at 10:30 AM. They had full use of the rooms including showering after the fishing trip, use of the bikes, kayaks, etc. The fact that the rooms were not occupied is of no consequence as the maid still had to come back in to change over the rooms and do the associated laundry (I’ll get back to that later), and be paid.
Up Charges: There were no “up charges”. When making their reservations they were told that we would have either a standard with 2 extra long twin beds or 1 standard with a queen and the superior with a queen bed. They were told the rates for a standard was of $159 plus government room tax and the superior was $175 plus government room tax. These rates are published on our website and as required by law posted in the rooms. They decided that they wanted the rooms with queen beds and they were aware of the rates. They were charged for the rooms they reserved and occupied.
Private Pilot’s Discount: They got upset because I would not give them a discount. We have not offered nor advertised a private pilots discount since 2006. This was not brought up until they were checking out and how they came upon this misinformation is unknown. The booking and cancelations page of our web site states that there are “no special rates that are not available to all”. It also states that “if you check out late there will be a late checkout charge”.
As for the laundry the guests in the superior room used a sheet, bath towel and shower mat for some unintended purpose. These items were so stained that they had to be taken out of service. They also broke a lamp and a beach chair but didn’t think to mention it, yet they were upset that they didn’t get a discount.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was our second trip to Seascape Inn. My husband loves to fish and will do it all day long if permitted. But that is fine with me while we are staying at Seascape Inn! The island is known for its bone fishing. We have taken a trip each time we have been to Seascape Inn with a guide, and had a great time. But I have to say that thus far, the best fishing has been right off the beach of Seascape Inn. Which works out perfectly for me, because I can sit back, relax and get some sun while he’s right out in front of me fishing.

Each morning you wake to the beautiful sound of the local birds. The cabanas are a nice size and all you really need for your vacation. There is no air conditioning, but each room has a nice fan, and with the windows open, it’s quite comfortable. Our room had a queen bed with side tables, sitting chairs, and a bathroom. All you need! Every day the housekeeper would fill the room with wonderful fresh flowers picked from around the island. There are 5 cabanas total. We stayed in one close to the main bar/dining area this last visit, which was great b/c we could pick up the wifi to check our emails. Of course you tend not to worry much about emails and such while you are on vacation here! Keep in mind that this is not Atlantis, and if you are looking for a 4 star hotel, you may not be satisfied. But if all you are looking for is a good time, relaxing trip, and comfortable place to stay, then you will be very happy here. This is a very small island and offers very little in the form of entertainment and luxury accommodations.

The Daily routine:

Breakfast was served every morning around 8am by the owners (Mickey and Joan). Mickey serves up fresh coffee and juice, and Joan prepares the most delightful baked muffins, breads, and fresh fruit. Every morning when you sit down for breakfast it’s sort of exciting. What has Joan made this morning!?! Banana nut muffins? Irish coffee muffins? Apple crumble? Delicious! The island may not have a lot to offer in terms of dining options, but believe me, it wouldn’t matter if it did! You would never want to miss a meal prepared by Joan and Mickey!

After breakfast each day it was off to the beach. We would walk around the island to explore for a while. Of course, with a couple fishing rods in tow. The beautiful blue holes are just a short walk away. Make sure you do bring water shoes, and preferably some that cover more than just your feet. This is the Bahamas, and there is coral that you have to watch out for when walking in the water.

After some exploring it was usually time to just relax on the beach. Right out in front of the cabanas, there are lounge chairs, kayaks, and hammocks. Don’t worry if you forgot your book, because Mickey and Joan have a nice selection of books for you to borrow.

Mickey will be happy to whip you up something for lunch. We usually went with a sandwich or burger. We chose to eat dinner every night at Seascape. We have heard that other people from other resorts would come to Seascape just for the amazing food. Every night you have several options to choose from. I am probably the world’s pickiest eater, and there was never a night that I was disappointed. Steak, chicken, fish, pasta, and oh my god the best crab cakes ever! I could eat the crab cakes that Joan makes every day! They were fantastic!

We would go up early for dinner and have a couple drinks while they prepared the meal. Mickey and Joan are always very pleasant and fun to just hang out with in the bar/dining room. And of course, I can’t leave out the dogs. You obviously can’t take your pets with you all the way to the Bahamas, but no worries. Joan and Mickey have 4 wonderful dogs that are so much fun to play with. So if you have a rainy day, no problem. Have a drink and play with the dogs!

The only negative thing I can say has nothing to do with Seascape, but just with islands in general. There are bugs. Mickey and Joan do the best they can to keep them out of the rooms and dining area, but outside there is nothing they can do (mainly only a problem in the evenings and if there is not a breeze). Just remember to bring plenty of bug spray and maybe some Benadryl if you are like me and always tend to be the target of every bug within a mile radius! But they didn't really bother my husband at all. I would highly recommend Seascape in to the adventure seeker or other fishermen and their wives. Just be prepared to kick back and do nothing but relax.

Thanks Joan and Mickey! We hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Picky123456
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I honeymooned at the Seascape Inn in 2007 and returned in May 2012 for our five-year anniversary. Just as the first time, we couldn't have asked for better scenery, food and company.
Mangrove Cay is a "family island" of the Bahamas, so don't come looking for casinos and non-stop nightlife. If you want a relaxing escape from the modern world there is no better place in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to do exploring the island by foot, bicycle, or cab ride and getting on the water to kayak, fish and dive. There's also plenty to do right there on the grounds with a beautiful beach and a clearwater flat out front where my wife could spot bonefish from her beach chair for me to go catch with my fly rod. If you are the type that has to have air conditioning and a spa it may not be your spot, but if you're fine with the simple life, it's a great place at a great value.
Best part of the experience by far is getting to know Joan and Mickey. These two good-hearted people are a joy to talk with when you're eating or just hanging out at the bar. It also doesn't hurt that both are excellent cooks, and Joan is a fantastic baker. Stories told and memories made in that bar looking over the water through the palm trees will stay with me the rest of my life.
Thanks Joan and Mickey!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeubank3
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband surprised me with this trip for my 40th birthday. I had no idea where we were going until I got to the airport. Needless to say, I was very excited to find out we were going to the Bahamas! Seascape Inn was a really great place and allowed us to have the peaceful and relaxing vacation that we really needed. We were the only people staying at the resort, so it was like we had our own private island. The snorkeling in the blue holes was probably the best we have seen, and we've done a lot of snorkeling throughout the Caribbean. We filled our days up quickly with breakfast at Seascape eating Joan's wonderful baked goods, kayaking and snorkeling in the morning, lunch at Seascape eating Mickey's fantastic hamburgers, then bike riding and relaxing in the afternoons before dinner at Seascape again. There are not very many restaurant options on the island, but Joan and Mickey were great cooks. Joan's bread and baked goods were so good, we wish we could have taken a bagful to go! They also had a full bar and made great drinks, so we had all we needed. Mickey and Joan were great hosts, extremely accommodating and full of information. They were available if you needed them but weren't on top of you when you wanted to kick back and relax alone. There are no TV's or phones in the room, so it's definitely a place to get away from it all. We went to Atlantis in Nassau just for the day on our way out and while we had fun on the water slides and seeing the aquarium, my husband and I both said that we were glad we spent our time at Seascape instead of Atlantis (which is like a Vegas hotel with water slides). Atlantis was certainly fancy, but not typically what you are looking for when you think of the Bahamas. We would definitely recommend Seascape Inn and would definitely go back again. The trip went way too fast! Thank you Mickey and Joan for making our vacation so great! - Melissa B.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa B
White Mills, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was our first trip to the Bahamas and we decided to stay at the Seascape Inn on Andros Island. The owners, Mickey and Joan, were exceptional hosts to us. The food was scrumptous and the atmosphere was amazing. We basically had the entire resort to ourselves for the week. If you want a place to get away from everything and just relax, this is the place to go. The accomendations were excellant. They were 5 private cabanas at the resort, each with a bedroom and bathroom, and that's it. It's a great place to escape the world for a few days. The beach is clean and beautiful with hammocks provided for just lounging around, or you had the option of taking the kayaks or bikes out and go exploring. If snorkeling is your thing, then this is the place to visit. This was our first time snorkeling and there were 3 blue holes just right off the shore. You could walk to them in low tide or take a kayak out in high tide. Every website always ask the question, would you recommend this place to a friend. My answer is "most definitely"!! I would even go back with them!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy C
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The Seascape Inn, and Mangrove Cay in general, is pretty much the opposite of Nassau and very different from what my wife and I expected of the Bahamas. It contains all of the beauty, but none of the hassle and high costs.

This is our second time in 2 years traveling to see Mickey and Joan at the Seascape Inn. We were married there last year having never been to the Bahamas...they posted some of the pictures from our wedding on their website. The experience was beyond unique, special and exciting. To anyone who wants to get married without all the drama and concerns that often accompany a traditional wedding...this is the place!

This year we decided last minute to come back as my wife had decided this was the most relaxing place she had ever been. In retrospect, I am forced to admit she was right. I can't say enough good things about the Seascape Inn. Having traveled much of the world, we plan to keep coming back as its truly unique.

Things you can expect at the Seascape Inn...

Bone fishing - apparently people come here to fish...who knew...I thought it was to get married...

Beaches - What I always equate the beach out front to is a large northern Minnesota or Wisconsin lake (only saltwater). There are few people on the beach. Never more than 6-8 total people in my experience. The water is usually calm so even someone who is not a strong swimmer can enjoy it. My wife and I spent countless hours wading, snorkeling and floating on rafts, talking and exploring the sea quietly together. It’s pretty easy to take a raft out and float over a blue hole with a snorkel and see amazing sites.

Peace and Quiet - Don't expect a wild nightlife as things shut down pretty early. On the flip side, I was well rested after a vacation, which is unheard of for me and saw many beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Don't expect televisions as there are none...but you certainly can bring laptops etc and use them with the free wireless internet. (Outside the main bar though)

Plenty of cold drinks - If you have never tried a Kalik, you must...the travelers met at the bar come from all over the world so the conversation is often very interesting. We still have the unique gifts given to us by some German guests of one of the homeowners we met after our wedding. This year we met several couples from England and Scandinavia.

Island Life - One of the best parts of the experience is the ability to explore Mangrove Cay on bicycle. It’s safe and interesting and not too strenuous. It’s sometimes hard to tell where all the stores are, but if you are willing to talk to people, they will show you the sites. In our experience, everyone is friendly and helpful. I can't tell you how many people stopped on the road and offered my wife a ride back to the Seascape as she was visibly pregnant this year. One of the most interesting people we met was a local wildlife photographer and his wife. Also interesting was meeting the local fishing guide "Shine" and his family who also run one of the conch stands. We also met some wonderful people from Denmark building a house on the island and many others. Harry the cab driver is also a wealth of island lore.

Food - for my wife the food is a huge draw. Breakfast consists of fresh fruit and wonderful homemade baked goods made fresh daily and is included. The remaining meals can be had either at the Seascape or other places on the island. We usually chose to have dinner at the Seascape as we were quite tired after the long days. Fresh fish, local lobster, steaks, chicken, shrimp, salads were all well prepared, well priced and well portioned.

Joan and Mickey are wonderful hosts; if there is any kind of a problem they do their best to make it right as soon as possible. If you want advice, they give it...if you need something, they provide it if they can...if you want to be left alone...you are on your own. The cabins are well sized for the amount of time you will be in them. They were always clean and comfortable and the views are amazing. We literally paid almost 3 times as much for less of a view in Nassau. Mercedes put fresh flowers in our room every day and her thoughtfulness made this trip again very special for us.

The Seascape Inn is a place where you get what you put into it. We came as strangers and left feeling we had gained many new friends.

I would highly recommend a stay to anyone looking for a relaxing, unique experience. I would also put this as one of the best places in the world for a unique, stress free, wedding.

Room Tip: Do not be afraid if they only have the twin bed room open...we pushed them together and it was great...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JDEKAM
west central Georgia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I were delighted to be able to visit Mickey and Joan (and those great dogs!) at Seascape Inn a second time--just a year after our first trip! We found the food to be just as delicious, the cabana to be just as comfortable and clean, the company to be just as fun as our first visit. Boston still made us some great conch fritters. The scenery was, once again, simply gorgeous. We are looking forward to our next visit with only one change--we will stay 5 or 6 nights rather than only 4! (If you are interested, please take the time to read their website because they have provided a lot of beneficial information there!)

Room Tip: All rooms have the same beautiful view. Joan can answer any questions you might have regarding room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple