“The perfect getaway”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
High Point, North Carolina
“The perfect getaway”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I went to Kamalame with a group of friends for a week in March and I could not have been more impressed. It was so nice to get away from the trappings of technology and spend time on the gorgeous island. The staff were very friendly and the accommodations were outstanding. The owners are a great couple and if you have the chance to meet them, it's a real treat. They were so generous and enhanced our stay.
I would recommend Kamalame to anyone in need of a vacation. It is private and secluded but you can still interact with other guests. The barbecue was delightful complete with bonfire and live music.
The beach is gorgeous and at high tide, you can kayak and paddleboard around the whole island. There are plenty of activities for just about anyone and the natural beauty of the island is worth the trip. The lack of outside distractions help one really appreciate all Kamalame has to offer--if you have the chance, GO!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Naples, Florida, USA
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We just returned from 3 nights at this magnificent property and stayed in a Beach Suite. My husband went for the fly-fishing and I went to relax…and Kamalame Cay is one of the only places where fly-fishing and luxury will exceed your expectations. There aren't enough superlatives to describe it. After a 20 minute car transfer from Andros Airport, you aboard a small ferry and glide across the water for 5 minutes and arrive on Kamalame Cay. You don't feel like you're checking into a resort. Instead,entering an intimate community of individual cottages with tree lined paths,and beautiful landscapes and ocean breezes. Kamalame Cay is a great balance of high end service (but at a slower pace because you are on island time) yet relaxed atmosphere.
The barbecue on Saturday night ended up being our favorite night. Great people, phenomenal food, upbeat band and the candlelit dinner table on the beach created a romantic atmosphere.
Samsun, the bartender certainly knows how to make cocktails and even suggested his own "Samsun Special" which was one of my favorite cocktails to date.
The beach suites and cottages are laid out so you have a lot of privacy and waking up every morning to your own path to the beach is what made this property exceed our expectations. This is the perfect place to get away when you really want to slow things down and just enjoy the beauty and relaxation of a private island.

Room Tip: Beach Suites and cottages are on the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Kamalame Cay was by far the best vacation we've ever had. We were initially supposed to visit this past June but cancelled last minute because of rainy weather. We wondered at times if we'd ever get there. It was worth the wait and the travel time and did not disappoint.

The staff greeted us with welcoming, open arms. We were guided to our pink golf cart and followed Leah to our cottage villa. The views from the cottage are breathtaking. The villa itself is also lovely - very clean and spacious. The pink Muskoka/Adirondack chairs on the deck/porch are the perfect spot to sit and relax while enjoying the view. We loved that the room had small kitchenette/pantry so we only needed to walk to the villa from the beach to get a drink.

The water was warm and crystal clear in brilliant shades of turquoise, blue and green. It was stunning. As were the sunrises and sunsets.

The food was the best we have ever had while on vacation. Every meal was consistently delicious. I do have to admit that I didn't try many dinner items because the curried chicken was so delicious I had it 3 nights in a row! I woke up craving curried chicken and I'm still craving it.

Resort management and staff do an exceptional job taking care of their guests. David and Michael do a great job of managing and running the resort and make every effort to make sure their guests are having a great time. As does the owner, Bryan Hew. The staff are exceptional - Leah, Sampson (you MUST have the Sampson Special!!!), Dede, Patty, Eltranique, Alison, Kiva (the Diva!), Mark, Hannah, Daryl, etc.

A visit to the spa is a must - the views of the ocean while having a massage (or other spa treatment) are fabulous.

The only complaint I have (and it is minor) is that the ceiling fan in our bedroom would make odd noises so it would occasionally disrupt our sleep.

Our visit was relaxing, idyllic and perfect! Thank you! We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed April 21, 2014

When I was planning our Spring Break vacation with my wife and two daughters, age 18 and 20, I searched for a location that would meet the demands of the group: sun, excellent food, easy access to scuba diving and a small intimate location where it was quiet and off the beaten track. Kamalame Cay exceeded our expectations in every way.

The location is wonderful, with a gorgeous and absolutely pristine beach that faces a reef and provides swimming at higher tide and great wading out toward the reef at low tide. The waves are gentle, and sand is soft and luxurious. The water is a beautiful turquoise, and crystal clear. We stayed in Magnolia, which had been the home of the grandmother of the current manager/owner. It had two large bedrooms with large baths, a third full bath looking out to the water with a soaking tub, two fabulous outdoor showers (my wife's favorite), a fully covered verandah looking out to the water, a large living room area, and small kitchenette. "Our" beach had two great hammocks amongst the palms, shade when needed, and comfortable lounge chairs by the water. We could relax there for hours without seeing another soul.

The staff were wonderful, and we came to know them all by name, and they came to know our likes. Samson was a fabulous waiter, who made "anything" possible at mealtime. It was with a smile that he told us we could have whatever we want, and he certainly did his best to meet that promise. The food was excellent, and he pointed us to favorite items. There were chef's specials most days, making it such that we had plenty of choices. While there were rare misses in the kitchen, the food was the best I have had anywhere in multiple trips to the Caribbean. The fish, conch, lobster and crab dishes were delicious, and David's grits for breakfast beat any grits I have had in the South. The staff cheerfully cooked up a birthday cake for my daughter's birthday on a day's notice and the staff and rest of the guests sang a rousing Happy Birthday for her 18th birthday celebration. The Guest of House package covers all meals, snacks, beverages, etc., and it helps not to have to even think about the costs for meals, wine, cocktails and champagne.

There were about dozen other guests at the resort when we were there, from Russia, Germany and the States. It was great fun to mingle at dinner time and learn of everyone's adventures from the day, yet at the same time easy to slip back to the peaceful quiet during the daytime as we moved about the island.

The island is fun to explore, by pink one speed bike (it is flat as a pancake) or by our pink golf cart. We fished off the docks (not our passion), dove with Mark and Hannah, went for long walks and invented new tropical cocktails. The view from the spa is unsurpassed, and all of the girls enjoyed their time there. There is only internet at the Pineapple House by the office, so we spent more time together as a family than we have in ages!

While some authors on this site have mentioned poor service by housekeeping, etc., we found everyone on the staff as helpful as could be, extra shampoos arrived in no time when requested, four bikes were delivered when we asked, extra drinks, and juices (for breakfast and cocktails) were made without any delay, including hand-squeezed OJ. Fishing poles and bait appeared in minutes, and warm smiles were omnipresent.

We will definitely be back, as often as we can find the time to get there. I have never had a more satisfying vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank clb7d
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My girlfriend and I had the opportunity to visit Kamalame Cay and I am not sure now that anywhere else in the world could compare. The plane ride in was breathtaking, followed by a quick trek through Andros and a Ferry to the private island. We were met with a five star greeting by Colette, and headed to the main house for appetizers and Rose. The conch was some of the best I have ever had, locally nothing compares. I also recommend the lettuce wraps. We got our own golf cart, which was a great and fun touch. The service was top notch, (Samson was fabulous!) The food menu is tastefully designed and the bar selection is perfection.

Our one bedroom villa was enchanting, right on the beach and the views coupled with the open concept and beach breezes created a tropical dream. The ambiance of the place is out of this world. The decor was impeccable, the room was nicely stocked with a private selection of snacks and a bar, and the scenery was to die for. We immediately jumped in the ocean and I was in awe of the secluded (I think there were only a couple other folks on the whole island) white sand beaches. The island is sandwiched between pristine aqua waters on one end and flats on the other. At extreme low tied we took a walk across the flats and had an amazing time enjoying the birds, nature and wildlife (plus it was a natural foot spa!)

We were greeted in the morning (after the best night of sleep one could imagine) with a breakfast basket filled with pastries, coffee, etc. We also went to the main house for the "David Special" which was a healthy serving of grits, eggs and meats that was to-die-for (I woke up this morning craving it!)

The only negative thing about Kamalame was having to leave. I left feeling truly blessed that I was able to experience this kind of beauty and fortunate to know it exists. I will be visiting Kamalame for years to come and will always look forward to the stay. Kamalame is the type of place that makes you fall in love, over and over again.

Room Tip: The one bedroom Villa was great! Right on the beach, ocean breezes and stunning views. Bathtub overl...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Morgan M
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was really from the Blue Lagoon movie... Soooo nice and peaceful !! After 3 days in Nassau we went by helicopter to the private beach of Kamalame Cay. Our beach suite was superb, food very good, staff super friendly and we had our private transportation during our 5 days visit :-). Its not cheap but its worth every penny!! See you next time!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My fiance and I decided we needed a little pre-honeymoon, honeymoon and we were directly to this special place through Yellow Dog Fly Fishing - same company who helped us book our upcoming honey....and how incredible. We were absolutely knocked off of our feet by the intimate, private and tranquil setting of Kamalame Cay. Everything from the moment we arrived was perfect. The boat ride over is the first sign that you have landed yourself somewhere truly special. It takes only a mere few minutes but the experience of it really makes you feel like you are stepping away from reality and onto a treasure of a private island. You immediately jump on your own private golf cart to navigate your way around the island. Your own staff guide takes you around the island and shows the grounds, finally ending up at your own private bungalow or villa right on the water with your very own private beach access. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are served in the gorgeous great house, where you feel like a guest in your own home. Very personal, and intimate. We were lucky enough to arrive on a week where the island was fairly full and had the chance to experience their Saturday night island dinner where all the guests, and home owners on the island are invited to a big family style bbq with dinner, dancing and drinks ending the night with a bond fire on the beach. We chose to be "guests of house" which is basically a very lovely way of saying "all inclusive" which in my opinion is a MUST. We love to eat and drink so going all in for whatever we wanted the entire week made it much more enjoyable for us. Speaking of enjoyable the FOOD and the STAFF - I mean sincerely outstanding. There are not enough words I can say to express the quality of the food and service that they have. One of our favorite little things was everyone morning they bring you a woven basket and drop on your door step full of fresh fruit, fresh squeezed juice, fresh warm coffee and pastries to start off your morning - always a nice way to wake up after an amazing night sleep on their great beds. All white bedding, very clean and extremely comfortable. Kamalame cay was a great choice for us because I like to relax, lay on the beach, sip rose champagne, enjoy spa treatments and my fiance LOVES to fly fish - Kamalame Cay was the perfect mixture of adventure and relaxation. We did one day of guided fly fishing which we both really enjoyed (although i love to relax, I also like adventure) our guide was great and they pack you a fabulous lunch with wine, beer whatever you like! THE WEATHER WAS PERFECT could not have asked for it to be better. Overall I think you get the picture that we really thought this place was something really special. We have traveled all over and have yet to find somewhere that has the character of Kamalame Cay. If you want a relaxing, enjoyable, romantic, private and oh so delicious vacation that is easy to get to from any major US airport - THIS is the place to be.

Room Tip: You cant go wrong, all are lovely and have their own private beach access with chairs and a hammock...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple