Kamalame Cay
$590
$572
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Swain's Cay Lodge(Andros)(Great Value!)
$141
$900
$837
  • Breakfast included
$381
Albany, The Bahamas(New Providence Island)
Travelocity
All reviewsgreat housebreakfast basketgolf cartprivate islandcottage suiteevery morningwater spafishafternoon cookiesfour seasonsbeach bungalowspa treatmentsother guestsrum punchglass floorheaven on earthfresh cookies
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is the type of place people dream of going their entire lives. The service, staff, villas and overall vibe are what make Kamalame Cay a world class luxury getaway.

The staff are always in the background waiting to attend to your every request with a smile. The meals were some of the best I have ever had.

I haven't stopped talking about this experience.

We will definitely be back.

Thank you again to all of the staff. You truly made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Book your flight and go! I recommend taking a chopper or sea plane to get to the island. The ride from Andros airport to the island is a rough ride.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank David B
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I have been traveling the islands throughout the caribbean over the last 10 years. We love the small out of the way places that are light on Commercialization (hotels, clubs and people everywhere) and heavy on Personalization (small, private and unique). There are some great places out there we've truly enjoyed and have repeated to like Peter Island (BVI), Palm Island and Petit St. Vincent (The Grenadines), Anguilla, Nevis, and Ambergris Cay (Belize), but Kamalame Cay has a uniqueness to it like no place we have been before.
I like to think of it as having nearly everything to offer (at least what we look for) without many to share it with. It's truly 5 Star and why we haven't been anywhere else since first finding it several years back.

Lets start with the people. We are big on the people and the culture of an island and resort. We're from the South so we can go a lot of places where we can be yes sir'd and yes mam'd up and down but this is family here so it's all on a first name basis from day 1. Of course if that's not your thing they will treat you like British Royalty as well, but let's face it, if you're coming to relax and unwind in a caribbean castaway island resort you want that type of personalized touch. It starts with family here and it's quite literal. The owners built this place 20+ years ago, they live here, raised their children here and their family manages everything. It's not a few appearances from time to time, it's their passion and lifeblood and it shows.

Depends on maybe how you define activities when you're on an island vacation but Kamalame is not short on them. I'm a diver and my wife is a "beach-reader" and spa aficionado. The on-island dive shop caters to personal dive trips. This is the furthest thing from your traditional dive boat cattle call where you're on a boat with 10+ other divers and then anchor up next to 3 other boats at the site. It's just you (and your group) with the dive master. Mark will show you some amazing sites whether you are a snorkeler or are looking to get deeper. 3rd largest reef in the world sits right off shore and not many can claim the diversity and abundance of marine life that you see and experience off of Andros. Most will already know that Andros is the bonefishing capital of the world (if you didn't I just let you in on it). You're walking out your back door to catch bonefish here or have access to lifelong guides who will ensure you become a convicted bonefisher. If you don't like fly casting then the reef fishing is right off shore where it's like casting in a barrel and if you're looking for the big sportfish, the Tounge of the Ocean sits less than 2 miles off Kamalame where it drops to over 6,000 feet (Marlin, Tuna, Wahoo, etc.) The overwater spa is fantastic and Avon is a hidden gem. My spa aficionado provides a pretty experienced endorsement.

Sometimes you go to the islands and you have to remind yourself that "you're in the islands so I guess this food is good..." That's really not the case here. The chef is a magician and the cuisine here is spot on. A lot of pride comes out of this kitchen. You will be impressed.

The island itself is about 3 miles long and in most places less than a football field wide. It's truly remote. The beach is what you look for in a 5-star beach. Beautiful and most of the time all to yourself. I think the best accommodations for a 2-some are the beachfront cottages. They are all individual octagonal cottages right on the beach with French doors across the entire beach side that can basically open them up entirely to the sea. If you're traveling with the littles (kids) or better yet with multiple couples, then they have some great options for larger beachfront accommodations. There are a couple 2BR villa suites in close proximity to the restaurant and tiki bar that are great. If you are looking for a truly private beach house experience with all of the accessible amenities of this 5-star resort, they have 3 privately-owned homes you can rent that are a little further up the island and truly private. Two 4-bedroom homes and a 3-bedroom home. We stayed in the newest home, Magnolia, that was just built this past year. It's a 4BR stunner with all of the latest luxuries and amenities. Highly recommended, especially if you want a little more space and a good value if you are splitting it with another family or a few of your favorite couples.

We have already scheduled our return trip to Kamalame and while we would love to keep this place all to ourselves, we look forward to sharing the "experience" with a few others. You won't have any regrets.

Room Tip: I think the best accommodations for a 2-some are the beachfront cottages. They are all individual octagonal cottages right on the beach with French doors across the entire beach side that can basically open them up entirely to the sea. If you're traveling with the littles (kids) or better yet with multiple couples, then they have some great options for larger beachfront accommodations. There are a couple 2BR villa suites in close proximity to the restaurant and tiki bar that are great. If you are looking for a truly private beach house experience with all of the accessible amenities of this 5-star resort, they have 3 privately-owned homes you can rent that are a little further up the island and truly private. Two 4-bedroom homes and a 3-bedroom home. We stayed in the newest home, Magnolia, that was just built this past year. It's a 4BR stunner with all of the latest luxuries and amenities. Highly recommended, especially if you want a little more space and a good value if you are splitting it with another family or a few of your favorite couples.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank IslandLubber21
Reviewed March 10, 2014

From the first greeting thru to the last goodbye, this was an experience of a lifetime. Food, drink, accommodation, all incredible but the setting of the island with its super soft beaches amid wondrous blue waters has to be experienced to be believed. We will be forever thankful to Donna, Brian, Michael, David and all the staff for contributing to us having one of the best weeks of our lives.
The Island and all those that work on it are incredible, please pass on our thanks.
I have no doubts we will visit again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The moment I stepped off the ferry on to the island dock I knew this would be an experience of a lifetime!! There was a flowery crisp island smell and an almost instant feeling of paradise at my finger tips. From the champagne greeting to the tiki club by the pool to the amazing fresh seafood and organic salad bar lunch served on the beach I couldn't have imagined anything more could be possible. We were visiting the island for my best friends wedding and I knew it would be spectacular mostly because she is :) but I had no idea what was in store. Our private villa Coco Nut was something out of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. The wedding dinner was spectacular and the service was beyond anything I have ever experienced. Most of all the love, care and generosity of the owners David and Michale and their amazing staff made this a 5 star plus experience!! Thank you thank you thank you, from the bottom of our hearts we WILL be back!! Tom & Christie

Room Tip: They are all incredible...If you are travelling with a group Coco Nut was spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My life is travel. I have stayed in 1 star dives and 5 star palaces. I have known some of the world's best butlers and even more of the world's most surly desk attendants. As with most things in life, I find it important to know what you are getting into before you commit your time and money to any endeavor. So if you are looking for a lavish week with your best guy or girl friends cruising the clubs and casinos, Kamalame is not for you. Go to Nassau and enjoy yourself at Atlantis or Sandals. If you are looking to really getaway, digitally detox, and enjoy an atmosphere where your needs are either known or predicted with a clarity that sometimes borders on clairvoyant, then Kamalame is for you.

The houses are owned by either the island owners or independent parties. They are all situated on the beach and they all offer the standard in luxury appointments. While a kitchen is provided, they function as snacking spaces and communal areas to chat in the event you have several people over. Not that you have to have several people over. The greatest benefit of Kamalame is the reclusive nature you can enjoy on this cay.

The dining at the Great House was always unique and excellent. Staff among the best I have seen in the Caribbean.

Travel to and from the island is best done by seaplane or helicopter, this allows curbside service to the resort. Otherwise, Fresh Creek airfield is a 15 minute plane ride from Nassau and an additional 30 minute taxi ride to Kamalame.

The spa is located on a peer and offers the standard massage, nail, and wrap services.

As a reminder, the purpose of Kamalame is to escape to a place where you can enjoy the ocean and the sun without the distractions of every day life! Go there, escape, relax, ponder a life where you aren't tethered to the digital world!

Room Tip: The Magnolia house has three bedrooms and abundant ocean access!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends