“A wonderful place for the Angler and Non-Angler” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kamalame Cay

Kamalame Cay
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“A wonderful place for the Angler and Non-Angler”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here from April 9 thru April 15, 2013. My husband is an avid fisherman and wanted a place for us to go as a couple. He wanted to fish all day and not worry about me being bored. This was the perfect place. It is pricey and not sure we will be able to go back but it was the perfect first time experience in the Bahamas. My husband had a fantastic bone fishing experience, he loved his guide Lavado. I just relaxed, road the bikes and had a couple spa treatments. I thought I would not like the fact there was no TV but I loved it and did not miss it at all. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. I do not eat or drink enough to justify the all inclusive. Friday they put on a BBQ for the island with Junkanoo dancers and a band. They had a bondfire on the beach and it was a nice time to mingle with the other guests. If you like lots of night life and lots of people this is not the place for you. It is the perfect place to get away from it all and relax and as for the fisherman, my husband said the bone fishing was awesome and he even fished the flats right there around the island. Bringing bug spray it a must if you are going to be out on the flats fishing or just walking around.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Ann M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Kamalame Cay is one those places you do not know what to expect, but as soon as you step foot on the beautiful beaches you get a clear picture that it is heaven on earth & you will be treated as royalty. The staff are knowledgable, kind and treat you like family. The food rivals some of the best global 5star/michelin restaurants, the amenities are gorgeous and no words can really do them justice. If you are looking for a gorgeous place with outstanding service and just one unbelievable time, this is the place to go. If you are one for activities, Kamalame Cay doesn't disappoint, the outdoorsy trips are paradise if you are an adventurer or just looking for a romantic moment. If you are looking for a getaway that reminds you what luxury truly is while treating you like family...this is it. Clean, Friendly, Reliable, truly heaven on earth wrapped in a slice of paradise.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong you just have to say how large your party is and your beach front properties...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lausanne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

A perfect place to be in couple. The owners (David & Michael) were very very nice and welcomed. You feel at home as soon as you step in. Nice and friendly people. Collette did a tour with us and gave us the chance to understand better plants and trees. So interesting. We had the chance to come by seaplane :-) and yes, thrue, the place is difficult to reach but that's the reason it is so unique...! not everybody can come unless you really want it. Food, wine, table set up, wifi only at the office (that is great), everything was perfect and NO TV ! my goodness, thank you to all for that. 30 hours was definitely too short but worth doing it. We loved it. Hope to see you again very soon. Best to all... Charles and Ariane

Room Tip: We had a room in villa on beach side. Marvellous...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ariane_guhl
New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Charging upwards of $1000 a night puts a resort in exclusive company, and requires excellence in all aspect of its operations. Sad to say, Kamalame Cay does not priovide facilities or services in line with the price it charges. The resort has a series of guest room buildings with three rooms apiece. If--and only if--you get the center room in one of these sets of three, you do get a room that is excellent by the standards of the Bahamas or Caribbean. However, the other rooms and most of the other facilities are not in line with this level of excellence. For example, the tennis court is in sad shape, and would be inadequate for a resort charging half as much. The food at lunch and dinner is adequate but not great. Breakfast is below average for resorts as a whole, let alione for one that charges such a premium price. The place is certainly not terrible, and would represetn good value if the price were, say, half of what they currently are.

Room Tip: Get a center room in one of the groups of three
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank James A
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have never been to a place like Kamalame. The food, the wine, the views, the room (we were in Causarina, not sure about the other rooms but I can't imagine they were anything less than amazing) make me jealous that there are people there, right now, enjoying their Bahamian luxury and I'm not. The attention to detail personally provided by David and Michael was not only superb but also unparalleled.

And whoever came up with the idea of an over-water spa is a genius; I don't know how I will ever be able to get a massage without an ocean breeze and waves lapping against the pier. The only drawback: my wife and I enjoyed the private beach just steps from our room so much we didn't do anything but relax, so I can't review the snorkeling nor the fishing...and that's our (perfect) excuse to go back.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a bad room; I think they're all beachside and secluded.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Thank you to everyone at Kamalame for the most perfect week - fabulous food, beautiful surroundings, endless fun for adults and children alike. The perfect luxury escape! I wish I could remember everyone's names but special thanks to Rhonda for looking after our children so well and to Charlton for being the barman that was always there when we needed him, even at the end of a 8 hour trip to a desert island! And finally to Michael for creating a magical week. Thank you all!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Port Aransas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Another trip purchased through Rue La La. My husband and I are avid bone-fishermen. We've been to Christmas Island many times (AstroTurf for carpet in the army barrack style rooms and purple sheets for drapes), Los Roques in Venezuela (where i caught Malaria), Alphonse Island in the Seychelles (coconut spiders the size of a large man's hand) and many of the Bahamian islands multiple times. Sadly, we have not been on a salt water fly fishing trip in 7 years. I've always wanted to visit Kamalame Cay, but it seemed pricey in comparison to other lodges and I'm used to being the only woman fishing at the bare bones lodges we typically visit. Kamalame was always on my to-do list as it has more of a resort quality. So, when I saw a 5 night stay offered on the fashion site Rue La La, I snagged it quickly. Just FYI...there is an issue with American Express in the Bahamas right now. That's probably not a big deal for most, but Amex is all I carry.

We flew from Nassau to Andros Island on Le Air. They did not have our reservation that had been booked thru Kamalame, but the women at the departure desk were wonderful and got us on the plane. A taxi was waiting for us to take us to Kamalame Cay. On arrival, a ferry picked us up with a welcome cocktail...short boat ride to the resort. We booked a cottage suite. The Sopadilla...named after an indigenous tree. I kept calling it the Sopapilla...the Mexican dessert. It was lovely. The bed was incredibly comfortable. A cold front had blown in the night before, so we were able to sleep with the French doors open, listening to the surf just walking distance from our cottage. It was incredible. How I've missed the Bahamas! Only a couple of glitches with the room. No hot water upon arrival, but it was rectified within 36 hours. Michael is wonderful. He had it fixed as soon as possible. Hot water is bliss when you've been traveling for 12 hours. The drinking water dispenser provided in the room leaked. I placed a towel under it, but I had stupidly placed our suitcases underneath the shelving in the closet where the water was stored...so they were soaked thru. My fault. I wish there had been more of a vanity area to apply makeup. The cottage is large enough. I'm an interior designer, so I tend to refurnish everything in my mind. Other than that, the rooms and the resort were decorated just beautifully. Decorated in such a way, that it felt like a home. Not a commercial resort.

The staff were absolutely incredible. Sampson, Jessica, Linda...I wish I had known all of the their names. I was cranky the first night we had arrived. My plane reservation had been lost and no shower after travel will do that to me. There were many children and I inquired if we should arrive a little later every night for dinner to avoid the families. Mind you, we were here for romance and fishing... The next night, a dinner table had been set up in the Tiki Bar area. Just for us. It was incredibly touching, romantic and I'll never forget it. Jessica set up her phone to play music for us and she was just an incredibly attentive waitress. It was the night the resort held a BBQ with entertainment by Unity...a Junkanoo Band. They were fantastic.

As far as the bone-fishing...our guide was Fleming and he was fantastic. Tireless, great eyes, excellent poling skills. And, as I said, the cold front brought incredible winds and I had not bonefished for 7 years. The fish were very spooky due to the low pressure. I've got to give the man credit! He never laughed at my miserable attempts at casting directly into gale force winds. We caught two bones and one mutton snapper. Sad, I know. But, you can't control the weather. I'm well aware of that. Our last day fishing was filled with rain and more wind. After trying to keep my footing on the front of the boat and deciding my 45 year old self was most likely going to fall in...we went back to the lodge and spent the day roaming the island on our personal golf cart. Casting under the pier at the over water Spa. We each caught mutton snapper there and several other fish. Beware...a giant Barracuda resides under the spa. Massive! Speaking of the spa, we had a couples massage one day. The massage beds are set over a plexiglass window so that you can watch the fish while getting your massage. The massages are pricey. $200 per person for 90 minutes, but I'm spoiled living in El Paso directly across from Mexico. A couples massage in Mexico costs around $60 for two.

The food was fantastic. All meals are served in the Great House. The drive from your cottage to the Great House is very cool. We called it the Hall of Palms. Beware the Tractor Monster...kind of like the Smoke Monster from Lost. I would recommend the Fish of the Day. Mahi Mahi is thick and luscious. The Gratin Potatoes are just decadent. For lunch try the Lobster Club Sandwich. As Ina would say..."what's not to like?!". The bars are incredibly well stocked. I was really impressed and was coveting in a big way. Ambiance was fantastic. Excellent music at every meal. Conch Pink Adirondack chairs outside to enjoy your drinks and watch the sky change colors. And again...I just can't give enough credit to the restaurant staff. OH! And the bread!

We probably won't return, only because I have many other places on my list to visit. Word of advice...on your return home, when you arrive in Nassau and if you have a long layover (ours was 7 hours) check into Graycliff Airport Lounge. It's free if you have Priority Pass or $10 per person if you don't. It made the wait much more tolerable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple