“Jilligan's Island”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Port Aransas, Texas
“Jilligan's Island”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Another trip purchased through Rue La La. My husband and I are avid bone-fishermen. We've been to Christmas Island many times (AstroTurf for carpet in the army barrack style rooms and purple sheets for drapes), Los Roques in Venezuela (where i caught Malaria), Alphonse Island in the Seychelles (coconut spiders the size of a large man's hand) and many of the Bahamian islands multiple times. Sadly, we have not been on a salt water fly fishing trip in 7 years. I've always wanted to visit Kamalame Cay, but it seemed pricey in comparison to other lodges and I'm used to being the only woman fishing at the bare bones lodges we typically visit. Kamalame was always on my to-do list as it has more of a resort quality. So, when I saw a 5 night stay offered on the fashion site Rue La La, I snagged it quickly. Just FYI...there is an issue with American Express in the Bahamas right now. That's probably not a big deal for most, but Amex is all I carry.

We flew from Nassau to Andros Island on Le Air. They did not have our reservation that had been booked thru Kamalame, but the women at the departure desk were wonderful and got us on the plane. A taxi was waiting for us to take us to Kamalame Cay. On arrival, a ferry picked us up with a welcome cocktail...short boat ride to the resort. We booked a cottage suite. The Sopadilla...named after an indigenous tree. I kept calling it the Sopapilla...the Mexican dessert. It was lovely. The bed was incredibly comfortable. A cold front had blown in the night before, so we were able to sleep with the French doors open, listening to the surf just walking distance from our cottage. It was incredible. How I've missed the Bahamas! Only a couple of glitches with the room. No hot water upon arrival, but it was rectified within 36 hours. Michael is wonderful. He had it fixed as soon as possible. Hot water is bliss when you've been traveling for 12 hours. The drinking water dispenser provided in the room leaked. I placed a towel under it, but I had stupidly placed our suitcases underneath the shelving in the closet where the water was stored...so they were soaked thru. My fault. I wish there had been more of a vanity area to apply makeup. The cottage is large enough. I'm an interior designer, so I tend to refurnish everything in my mind. Other than that, the rooms and the resort were decorated just beautifully. Decorated in such a way, that it felt like a home. Not a commercial resort.

The staff were absolutely incredible. Sampson, Jessica, Linda...I wish I had known all of the their names. I was cranky the first night we had arrived. My plane reservation had been lost and no shower after travel will do that to me. There were many children and I inquired if we should arrive a little later every night for dinner to avoid the families. Mind you, we were here for romance and fishing... The next night, a dinner table had been set up in the Tiki Bar area. Just for us. It was incredibly touching, romantic and I'll never forget it. Jessica set up her phone to play music for us and she was just an incredibly attentive waitress. It was the night the resort held a BBQ with entertainment by Unity...a Junkanoo Band. They were fantastic.

As far as the bone-fishing...our guide was Fleming and he was fantastic. Tireless, great eyes, excellent poling skills. And, as I said, the cold front brought incredible winds and I had not bonefished for 7 years. The fish were very spooky due to the low pressure. I've got to give the man credit! He never laughed at my miserable attempts at casting directly into gale force winds. We caught two bones and one mutton snapper. Sad, I know. But, you can't control the weather. I'm well aware of that. Our last day fishing was filled with rain and more wind. After trying to keep my footing on the front of the boat and deciding my 45 year old self was most likely going to fall in...we went back to the lodge and spent the day roaming the island on our personal golf cart. Casting under the pier at the over water Spa. We each caught mutton snapper there and several other fish. Beware...a giant Barracuda resides under the spa. Massive! Speaking of the spa, we had a couples massage one day. The massage beds are set over a plexiglass window so that you can watch the fish while getting your massage. The massages are pricey. $200 per person for 90 minutes, but I'm spoiled living in El Paso directly across from Mexico. A couples massage in Mexico costs around $60 for two.

The food was fantastic. All meals are served in the Great House. The drive from your cottage to the Great House is very cool. We called it the Hall of Palms. Beware the Tractor Monster...kind of like the Smoke Monster from Lost. I would recommend the Fish of the Day. Mahi Mahi is thick and luscious. The Gratin Potatoes are just decadent. For lunch try the Lobster Club Sandwich. As Ina would say..."what's not to like?!". The bars are incredibly well stocked. I was really impressed and was coveting in a big way. Ambiance was fantastic. Excellent music at every meal. Conch Pink Adirondack chairs outside to enjoy your drinks and watch the sky change colors. And again...I just can't give enough credit to the restaurant staff. OH! And the bread!

We probably won't return, only because I have many other places on my list to visit. Word of advice...on your return home, when you arrive in Nassau and if you have a long layover (ours was 7 hours) check into Graycliff Airport Lounge. It's free if you have Priority Pass or $10 per person if you don't. It made the wait much more tolerable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jill S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Kamalame Cay is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Each villa has been individually designed and decorated and yet they all have a distinctive and natural Bahamian style. There is nothing generic or mass-produced about Kamalame Cay: from the eclectic yet tasteful artwork and furnishings, to the sincere and friendly staff - everything around you is charming and brings a smile to your face.

Cannot think of a more romantic place (and make sure to book in for a massage in the Spa - which is built over the ocean with open doors that embrace the crystal clear waters). But the families with children were also made to feel welcome; and we enjoyed the scuba diving, fishing and snorkeling.

This is a place to escape to. Afternoons in the hammock surrounded by tropical gardens, palms and a sea view with cocktail in hand - pure heaven!

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband & I just visited for our 10th anniversary and we loved every minute at this amazing resort. From the villas straight out of a Ralph Lauren catalog to the pristine beaches and 5 star cuisine, we were thoroughly impressed by Kamalame. The staff was so delightful and accommodating. Randia, Charlton, and Leah to name a few, went out of their way to make sure our every need was met. We loved privacy and felt at times we were the only people on the island. We will come back to Kamalame for certain! D&C

• Stayed March 2013
New Iberia, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have travel Europe, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Bahamas, Antigua, Puerto Rico and all over the US, Cruised 13 times and this is by far the Most Romantic Place we have ever been after 35 years of Marriage! Our flight from Nassau with LeAir was at 6:30am from Nassau, 15 min flight, then 25 min cab ride and we were met by Leah, who was on the ferry waiting for us! She was so was wonderful, we arrived early so she brought us to check in where we met David Hew, owner, he was so nice and easy to talk to and then she brought us to the Great House to have a full breakfast from French toast, 3 eggs any way you want them, to omelettes, sausage, hash browns, the best bacon we ever had! Oh the coffee was delicious! We were Guest of House so all of our meals and drinks were included, so worth it! After she showed us around the island and then brought us to our Cottage, Coco Plum!! Absolutely beautiful! 1st thing my hubby did, he saw the hammack and fell right to sleep! They brought us our pink cart to use, we loved it! I unpacked and relaxed and took pictures. They do not have tv in the room, but we requested one and they had one wailting in the room with movies for him to watch (he only finished 1 the whole time) and I also requested an Ipod dock, they are very accomodating! Had lunch and met Sampson, Linda, and Milan in the Great House, had Lobster Club Sandwich, Mini burgers, and shared a wonderful wrap, delicious, with a little wine and beer! Relaxed and listened to music and enjoyed our home away from home that afternoon. Time to eat again! Here we go in the pink cart and we did not think we had lights, so we had our flashlight, we drive up and Randia stops us and shows us they have lights on the electric cart! Thank goodness! She was the best, she would sit and talk with us everytime she saw us! She worked with Leah in the office. Sampson and Jessica took care of us everynight, the whole staff are amazing!! They are always smiling and they never stop!! The food is 5 star,I had a filet a couple of nights was better than Ruth Chris, Crab cakes, Corn and Lobster Soup, Chicken stuffed with Lobster, Ravioli, Lobster stuffed with Crab, etc. deserts and after dinner drinks all delicious and the wines were good wines! My hubby enjoyed his Makers Mark at night!
Time for bed and the beds are so comfortable, the do have airconditioner, not like we needed it with all the doors open, but we closed the doors and put the air on and slept like babies!
Every morning you wake up to a basket on the front porch with coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice and pastries and fruit with the daily news! This day was Spa Day and Avon and Stacy were the best, we did a couples massage and it was amazing, they started with our feet in a little room and took time to talk to us and then took us in another room, as you lay your face down you actually see the water underneath over a reef and I saw a few fish and a stingray swim by! That was cool but the actual massage was the best we have ever had! After the spa we went to enjoy our cottage and put our music on and enjoyed the sun, so very relaxing, even danced a little! Day 3 was our fishing day, we received some polls and bait from Mark, he is the fishing guide, he told us to go in the cart to the point at the end, we did, and I caught a Bone Fish, 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. My hubby had to help me pull it in so we both caught it! It was so clear you could actually see the fish swimming up to you. We brought it to the chef and he said it was a good size and he would cook it for us but we told him to do whatever he wanted to with it. We had so much fun fishing! I had a fellow tell me he loved me and hated me because he paid to go bonefishing 2 days in a row and did not catch a thing and I caught one right off the banks with the little pink cart and shrimp as bait! He was funny! That night was our last night and we decided to do a Sunset Cruise, they had wine and beer and appetizers waiting for us and the ferry that gets you across to the island. My hubby had great conversation with the fellow driving the ferry for us, he was so nice! Went to dinner and Sampson and Jessica had a specialty drink they made just for us, it was Jessica's special, delicious!! We shared a Charted Flight with a great couple from Atlanta back to Nassau because we did not want to leave at 6:00am and our flight was not until 3:38pm, so we stayed on the island until 1:00pm, so nice not to rush! Everyone has a smile on there face and treat you so special! Missing them all already and we just got back Sunday! What an absolutely wonderful trip and the most romantic place we have ever been! Hopefully we will go back soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Netsy P
Charlottesville
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our family has been to many luxury resorts and villas in the Caribbean, and though I have enjoyed myselft at all of them, Kamalame is the first one I want to go back to. I felt that way from the day we arrived. The water is as beautiful as anywhere we have been - all those shades of blue and green with soft white sand below. The inception of Kamalame was as a bone fishing spot, and according to the seasoned bone fishermen we encountered and my husband - it's one of the best spots around. David and his family have developed it over the years to offer much more than that though. There is an amazing spa at the end of the pier over the water, a well maintained tennis court on the edge of the beach, a Padi certified dive center, kayaks, a catamaran and beach volleyball all set up and ready for your use.

Something I also loved is that there is a rack of bicycles there for the taking. We stayed in a house which was a little more than a mile away from the resort center down the sand road and we just had one golf cart for the three of us. My husband and son took the cart early each morning to meet their bone fishing guide, and I rode a bike back and forth through the half open, half tree shaded path. It was a simple pleasure to do so.

I did a refresher dive course with Mark and he was the best. I had had a bad experience in Jamaica with a rushed, disorganized dive operation from which I bailed at the last minute. I was feeling insecure about my ability and nerves and Mark took me out solo, had me run through all the basics and get my bearings again. Unfotunately, we did the refresher dive the day before we left, so I didn't get to go on a "real" dive to try and find the more unusual and diverse marine life. My husband and son saw muliple sting rays, sharks, turtles and barracuda while fishing. The visability is incredible.

We bought the "guest of the house" inclusive package which means that all your food and drinks are included and you get discounts on the spa treatments. There are two fully stocked bars at the resort's center and you can make your own drink just the way you like it - which I loved - or there is always someone on hand to make it for you. Every day the staff drops off freshly baked cookies to you house/room which was also a nice touch.

My only desire would be to have wifi in the rooms. Micheal - David's partner - told me that not having wifi in the rooms is intentional as so many guests love to be relieved of the pressure to be plugged in (and available to the office : ), but I would have liked to have the option to do research etc from our room in the quiet evening after dinner. At any rate, they are gonig to upgrade the system available in the office and sitting room - which is spotty right now.

We will be back! And next time my husband wants to try the less-explored deep sea fishing they offer which is just on the other side of the near-by reef.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Caballo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Kamalame Cay Resort the week of Feb 28-Mar 3.
This was our second stay and it was even better than the first time.
The staff and the owners of this resort are the epitome of hospitality. David is always so kind and makes an effort to speak with each and every guest to make sure their stay is optimal.
The food was good and plentiful but Ricardo's absence was evident. It was a tad cold during our stay but we rode bikes, played tennis and walked around the resort. My husband and I had the time together that we were craving. Kiva and Bernadice were the ladies that kept our room clean and well stocked. The ladies were a joy to meet and we truly enjoyed visiting with them.
The booking and reservation staff were very professional and made our planning worry free.
Thank you, Priscarlo, Yanique and Rebecca you are awesome.

Note: Make sure to take bug spray the bugs ate me alive but for some reason they don't bite my
husband.

Room Tip: The Casaurina cottage was wonderful. Beautiful views, privacy.