“Awesome secluded resort with excellent chef, management and resort staff! Highly recommend! Depending upon your interest, staff”
Review of Kamalame Cay

and 1 more site!
Kamalame Cay
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Awesome secluded resort with excellent chef, management and resort staff! Highly recommend! Depending upon your interest, staff will accommodate to your hearts delight. Best deep sea diving ever!

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank SAHorse-lover

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We expected to be greeted by Mr. Rourke in such lucscious and spectacular surroundings. It's hard to believe that such a place on earth really exists. With personal attention and tremendous hospitality by the Hew family and staff, we didnt want to leave such a romantic place. It was actually hard to do work upon my return! The food was fresh and delicious; the villas are beautiful and clean. The hotel caters to every whim and need you may have - a very customized and personal experience - just the way I run my event planning business. I am ready to start planning all types of events there because people really do need to know there is such a Fantasy Island.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VictoriaEvents
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Amazing place to stay. We were 9. Plenty of room for a family. Beautiful island. Fishing was fantastic. We caught Yellow Fin Tuna 5 miles off shore. The bone fishing was also awsome. Very pleasant and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Any room in Cocoanut Villa is great. Great views on both sides.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alex U
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Kamalame Cay is a magical place. I got an amazing sense of excitement getting on the ferry, and at every turn I was delighted. I was very lucky to have my wedding organised by the staff at Kamalame Cay and they made it a day to remember forever. Nothing was too much trouble for Michael, David and their brilliant team, anything you want, if they can possibly do it, they will.

Kamalame is the place to go for laid-back luxury. After five nights with no phone, TV or papers, it was easy to believe that there was nothing else going on in the world. Hopefully my photos will show how beautiful the place is. I'm very happy to share more if people want to get in touch.

We loved our room, called 'Coco Plum'. Each residence is different (one of our party had an outside shower); ours had a raised, two-person bath from which you could see the sea. I loved that the rooms had no keys, we put all our valuables and phones in the safe and left them there for five days. Each room has its own sand chariot (golf buggy) and it's great fun driving around exploring the island - the top end of the Cay is wonderfully quiet with amazing views. The laundry service is included and very fast, so in theory you could just get on a plane with a couple of changes of clothes and stay there for as long as you want. We put some washing in at noon and got it back at 3pm. Amazing. There's no need for formal dress, whatever you want goes. The mini bar, fruit, cheese and cookies were all great touches although we were so spoilt we barely needed them.

Each morning at 8am we got our breakfast basket which arrived silently. It was a little like Father Christmas, but delivering hot coffee, fresh orange juice, and fresh fruit and pastries. All the bread is baked on the Cay, and both the breakfast and lunch/dinner breads are delicious. You can also go to breakfast in the Great House. I loved the french toast (I stuck with that each morning), but I tried some of the lionfish and grits, and it was great too.

Lunch, as with all the food, was delicious. The small plates aren't that small (and definitely aren't starters!)... but over-ordering is a nice problem to have. One day they had run out of conch, so they went down to the water, caught some more, and cooked as it fresh. 30 minutes from the sea to our plate. The food is all freshly cooked, so sometimes the service would be a little slow... but relax, you're on holiday! I'd particularly recommend the cracked conch, the seared Ahi tuna, the crab... but really, everything is delicious.

The dinner menu changes every few days, while we were there we had a selection of delicious seafood, amazing steak cooked perfectly, and wonderful mango-glazed spare ribs. There's also a daily special which, on our trip, proved to be the most popular choice with our party. It's usually based around whatever the fisherman catch that day.

I was worried about flies. Mosquitos love me. The fogging is doing the trick though. I was religious about my spraying and only got bitten on Andros, when we went to Captain Bill's Blue Hole. When we went to Eleuthera for a few days after leaving Kamalame I got bitten lots and missed Kamalame's fogging.

Other activities.. On my wedding day I enjoyed a very pleasant manicure and pedicure at the spa over the water. Stacey was lovely and really relaxed me. One of our party went bone fishing and came back grinning and very pleased that the guide helped him to catch four fish. I enjoyed a trip out diving, and we went to Rat Cay Blue Hole to snorkle, where the fish (and sharks!) were fantastic.

I really felt like I was a guest of the family rather than staying at a hotel. The staff are unintrusive, but If you want to get attention it's easy (and much better that, than constantly being asked if things are OK). I loved the help-yourself bar, but highly recommend getting Sampson to make you an amazing cocktail.

Room Tip: the beach cottages provide secluded privacy you'll feel like you have the whole island to yourse...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tavia14999
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I recently stayed in Kamalame and found the service, people, food, views, activities and atmosphere second to none. There is Great BoneFishing In Andros and we took full advantage by spending our days exploring the flats of Andros with guides and our late afternoons as a group in the serene flats behind the resort. The food was excellent, in fact a member of our group caught a 70 lb Tuna (in about 2 minutes) and the staff prepared an incredible meal for the entire resort. Top notch all around.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank T W
Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

This place is amazing. From the rum punch on the first launch to the last Kalik on the dock. Service, location, amenities. All fantastic. Enjoy one of the golf carts and just drive around. Spa, pool, great house, bands, bar, fresh breakfast and great fishing.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank JamminGB
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Kamalame Cay is an exquisite place where you have the best of the Bahamas available to you. The accomodations are first class, the location is incredible (you have tremendous bonefishing on the flat right outside your door) and they have everything you may want. The food is really good, the chef is accomodating and they will cook any deep sea fish that you catch.

We stayed in a house further out in the cay, but from what I can tell the views in every one of their houses are incredible - big water out front and beautiful flat out back. We didn't use the Spa services so no comment there, but there were 7 of us total in a fairly demanding group of people and we felt that this place was overall a great value.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends