“Return visit for me, please”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Virginia
Reviewed March 25, 2005

I've been to SHB 5 or 6 times (lost count) with my family and on my own and it's my favorite relaxing vacation place. I learned to dive there, and have dived other places as well. I must say, the diving is great, the dive staff accommodates all levels of divers, and there's something for everyone. They offer diving instruction and certification in a lovely and relaxing atmosphere - sure beats lessons in a pool or a quarry! The staff is very friendly, and believe me, they remember you when you come back. The food is a real treat, home made yummies all day. Plan on packing on 5-10 # even if you're actively diving. I always meet interesting people when I go there, and have not had a problem fitting in even when I've gone totally alone there. Kids are welcome there and accomodated nicely. My kids love going there. The rooms are a bit dated and spartan, but that's why I like it. Getting there and back can be a little tricky, and I'd recommend using their charter flight rather than risking the local commuter airline Western Air unless you're adventurous. I've taken Bahamasair to the main island and gotton stuck there when Bahamasair decided to cancel the rest of the flights indefinitely, and had to fend for myself on the Western air crap shoot where you may or may not get a seat on the flight and have to pony up cash for a ticket. Which may be good because the people that make it to SHB sometimes have to go through he** to get there so it cuts down on the riff raff. Another thing I like about SHB is it's relatively small, as far as dive resorts go, so there's usually one or maybe 2 dive boats going out and there aren't that many people per boat, unlike some cattle call boats I've been on in other places where they throw 20 or 25 people into a boat and you're on your own. I'm planning to go back and have my *second* kid learn to dive there and get her certified, too. Check it out!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 21, 2005

We expected our week-long stay to be a much needed rest. However, a fun-filled week quickly turned into a miserable mess on departure day. Our charter flight (booked through SHB) was unexpectedly cancelled. Despite management knowledge of this the day before, we were NOT TOLD until just two and a half hours before a substitute commercial flight was set to take off. We scrambled to get to the airport and made desperate attempts to purchase one-way tickets on a new air service that was barely ready to operate. After arriving at the airport, we discovered the land crew was not trained to make credit card ticket sales and we were expected to come up with enough cash to cover the purchase of the two last minute tickets. Then we waited an hour and a half at the counter while the new airline staff tried to muddle through the ticket paperwork. By the time we finally got on the plane we were shaking and furious. In summary we felt abandoned by SHB management to find our own way home. If we had not booked our flight originally with SHB, it would have been unfair to expect more involvement from them. However, we made charter flight arrangements directly through them and had expectations these arrangements would be handled properly. Because of this rude treatment, it was clear to us that SHB did not care one way or another. It was also clear that management DOES NOT understand the economic value of its guests and that discourteous treatment is perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed: February 2005
21  Thank AlabamaAnita
Reviewed March 19, 2005

If you are a hard-core scuba enthusiast and like to dive, talk about diving, and then drink and talk about diving some more, this is the place for you. If however, you want to eat something slightly better than prison food, have a bathroom that doesn't look like it was shipped in from Central Asia, put your clothes in drawers instead on plywood shelves, (come to think of it, the entire cabins are plywood) have fans that actually spin without squeaking, avoid this disaster. (All true, cross my heart.) My main problem with Small Hope is that their web site is completly dishonest as to how limited the place is. During our stay, any number of other guests were lured, as we were, by their clever, but utterly misleading Internet pitch. Eco-tours, cycling, blue holes--forget it! It's diving, diving, diving, and if you don't dive, the dive staff--and that is about everyone--treats you like pond life (excuse the expression).

22  Thank LSG47
Reviewed March 16, 2005

My wife and I enjoyed Small Hope so much, we had to return for a second trip. The conch fritters are wonderful and the staff has succeeded in creating a "summer camp" style atmosphere where everyone gets to know each other. We enjoyed cocktail hour every evening and sitting with different people every night at dinner. This is a dive resort so if you don't dive you won't have as many stories to trade. Loved the hot tub at night. Be careful when approaching a night. The hot tub is CO after dark. Overall, we had a great experience. I'd go back tomorrow if I had the chance.

7  Thank Joel M
Reviewed February 28, 2005

After staying at SHB last Oct., I just had to respond to "Rustic". Small Hope was without a doubt, the best vacation spot my wife and I have ever experienced. I planned the trip for our 25th aniv. and after being there for a day or two, my wife told me, "this is the trip I've always dreamed of." We were treated like family from the minute we arrived. Our bags were lost on US Airways and the staff told us that they would ensure that they got to us. When I looked a bit skeptical, they told me that I was here to relax, they were here to sweat the details. Throughout the day, I was informed where my bag was en route to Andros. Sure enough, the bag arrived by taxi from the 4:00 flight and was delivered to our room. Throughout the week, we had just that kind of personal service, from the kitchen staff to the dive masters to Jeff himself, who took it upon himself to make sure we had a pleasant first dive experience. One afternoon, Moose arranged a picnic lunch and motored us out to Goat Cay for an afternoon alone on the little uninhabited island. The setting says relax from the minute you get there. If you can't get romantic here, there's no hope for you. If you want glitz, you can get a fancy room in a high rise beach hotel. IMHO, though, the personal touch and the setting at SHB are priceless. i'd pay every penny again to go back!

8  Thank LTCDon
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 23, 2005

We stayed in early February and really loved it! I went to do some diving and my wife just wanted to relax on the beach. They actually gave her a free resort course and she enjoyed it so much that by the end of the trip she became a certified diver. The beach was beautiful and secluded, the rooms were large, but simple with high ceilings and lots of wood, coral, and Androsia, the food was surprisingly good and we loved the serve yourself bar. The all-inclusive concept was great with no surprises at check-out. Small Hope also has a very friendly atmosphere with staff that seem genuinely interested in you, and you enjoying your holiday. We can't wait to go back!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 16, 2005

We stayed at the Small Hope Bay in early December for 3 nights while working on a documentary, and absolutely loved staying there. The greatest thing I felt about the lodge was its remoteness, you really feel like you're away from everything. The atmosphere was very laid back, I loved how you could walk up to the bar and pour yourself a drink, play ping pong, read a book, fall asleep on the couches, or just chill in one of the numerous hammocks scattered throughout the palm trees. While I was working all day long, it seemed like the majority of the people staying there would scuba dive, bone fish, or ride bikes. It didn't seem like there was too much else to do. The owners and the staff were great to hang out with. I'd love to come back here someday for a vacation when I really need to get away from everything!

• Stayed: December 2004, traveled on business