“Happy Teenagers, Happier Parents!”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Montreal, Canada
“Happy Teenagers, Happier Parents!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Just back from Small Hope and very hard to pull on my snow boots and don my winter jacket again. I haven't had this much difficulty coming back to reality from a trip in a long time (and we've done some pretty amazing trips!).

I think the thing that struck me the most about Small Hope was the staff: they work so hard to make you feel at home, included and special. A trip like this can be risky when travelling with teens but our 15 and 17 yr. old boys had a blast - we were fortunate that there were some other families with teens there at the same time as us but even if there weren't, our boys enjoyed spending time with staff and guests of all ages. That's just the kind of atmosphere that permeates Small Hope.

The nitty gritty:
- the Discover Scuba Dive course for our boys (first time divers) went off without a hitch. The dive masters somehow manage to take their work and the safety of the guest divers very seriously while at the same time keeping everyone relaxed and having a good, fun time.
- the rooms are rustic but super-clean and the beds are very comfortable. I want to cry when I think of the view from our bedroom window... Sigh...
- the food: down-home, fresh, local and healthy. Desserts very satisfying!
- the open bar: they mean what they say! Pina Colada, where are you?
- staff in general: work hard, always smiling and helpful.
- dining room, games room, lounge, beach, hot tub, bikes, grounds: perfect. What else do you need, really?

Yes, I would return. There's little doubt there. If you go, I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!

Small Hope, Family Vacation, All Inclusive Resort, Scuba Diving or Andros Island, Bahamas.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda B
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thanks for the great review Linda! I am so happy you and your family had such a great vacation. It was wonderful getting to meet you all, and thanks for the lovely comments about our stellar staff. We can't wait to see you all again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Blue Mountains, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

This is my first review on TripAdvisor. Nowhere else I've ever stayed inspired me to leave a review here. Small Hope Bay Lodge was different.

I went with a group of friends for a special trip for a week. We met in Nassau and traveled to Andros Island on the flight arrranged by the lodge.

Upon arrival it was clear that this was not your average all inclusive resort. We were warmly welcomed, offered a drink and told how things work at Small Hope.

If you're not into diving or fishing there is still plenty to do here if you don't want to sit and relax the whole time. Walking, swimming, eating, drinking and cycling were a few activities we enjoyed. Most of our group took a couple of cycling trips to Fresh Creek and Capt Bill's Blue Hole. The lodge now has a number of brand new bikes to choose from.

To sum up, the food and drinks are great but it's the staff that really makes the difference. They were the most friendly, welcoming folks I've ever encountered and really make you feel at home. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review. It was such a pleasure having you guys here. All the staff really had a wonderful time getting to know you. You are right, we are not the typical all-inclusive resort. We really get the best guests and THAT is what sets us apart. Looking forward to seeing you again!
Sagamore Hills, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Small Hope made our Honeymoon the best experience I've had in my life.

While my fiance at the time was working on some of the logistical things for the wedding, I worked on the honeymoon portion. We knew we wanted to do something tropical and it had to be under 7 hours of flight time (not including delays and lay-overs). I probably looked at every island in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Cruise Ship, and more for options. I made an excel sheet showing the pluses and minuses of each as well as what fun things there would be to do at each location. The first place I emailed was Small Hope and within just a few hours they had responded to my two paragraph email with 13 paragraphs (I literally went back to the email now and counted). I continued emailing them and always received the most impressive emails ever.

Started to get serious about Small Hope being the location for our honeymoon, despite the distance from San Diego to the Bahamas as well as the per night cost (wife doesn't drink), and so I started thinking about what we would do there. There is so much to do! Their website does a fantastic job of telling you what you can do but there is no one to tell you what you should do! It's a huge difference and one I appreciated. Neither of us dive and neither of us are that active. Ultimately, we chose Small Hope not for the diving or extra activities (though they were nice to see as options, but because the water looked warm and clear, the service looked great, it was far away from everyone, and not a typical resort.

We made a mistake on our traveling day and stayed up all day before the red eye flight. We then had 15 hours of traveling to get to Small Hope. When we got there, we had been up for 45 hours and were ready to sleep. The second the Taxi driver (shout out to Hamilton who is the best Taxi driver i have ever had) dropped us off, a wonderful lady from the office (I'm sorry I can't remember your name!) brought us immediately to the bar where I was fixed a very potent drink. That was before any talk of paperwork was mentioned or anything serious. After some confusion, probably on my part, about us not having the Honeymoon package we thought we had, they told us to wait 10 minutes (more like 30 but it was the Bahamas and I had a stiff drink so i didn't mind) they would set up our room properly for the honeymoon package. It ended up costing the same and we had oh so many things.

We got walked to our private room where they had put petals all over the floor, champagne chilled in a container, 1 ticket for a breakfast in bed, 1 ticket for a stay on a private island, shot glasses, and some batik. It was wonderful. Our room was just 15 or so steps from the beach. It was at that moment that we realized we chose right and everything was worth it.

Throughout our stay we were constantly surprised at so many things. Ever single person (minus 2 people at Nasau International Airport not associated with Small Hope) we met in the Bahamas were some of the nicest people we met. When wanted to go Kayaking, for example, at Fresh Creek (a beautiful long freshwater river a mile or so away), they just told us what time we wanted to go and they loaded up the kayaks for us with snorkeling gear and everything. They gave us two bikes, a map of great places to see, and a smile. The gentleman who dropped off the kayaks asked if there was anything else he could do and then helped me get the kayak in the water. By the way, I highly recommend that tour. There were no sounds except the birds in the mangroves and the water lapping against the kayak. It was serenely quiet. Back to the people: they were all wonderful. At no point did they ever stop being nice and helpful. You want to go to the island? They packed up snacks for us with drinks in a cooler for our trip. They washed our clothes for us, cleaned our rooms amazingly well, made drinks with a smile, were super patient with us, and always made us feel welcome and that we had been there many times before. Another amazing thing that I hadn't seen in a review is that the kitchen staff is AMAZING. It was honestly shocking how quick dinner was served and then plates taken away when you were done. I can't think of a time when my empty plate was sitting there for more than a minute. The food was amazing as well! Whether it be lobster, Argentinian steak, good ole fashioned burgers, conch chowder, and conch fritters, everything was just amazing.

The location too is perfect. The water is absolutely stunning. Never seen anything like it. For probably close a mile, the water depth is between 6-10 feet continuously. It is perfect for snorkeling and I loved it. The water temperature was between 75-78 degrees and this was march. It rained some when we got there but it went away after a few minutes. The staff was so perfect that my wife and I felt comfortable enough to try diving. While she didn't enjoy it so much, I went ahead and did two 40 foot dives. Becki, one of the dive staff, was literally next to me the entire time I was underwater and made me feel super safe. By the way, we were literally the only dive boat out there each day I went out. Stunning.

I could go on and on, and have done so, but the take away is that this was wonderful. Jeff Birch, his family, and staff have made something that many of us there considered one of the best kept secrets in the world. I don't understand how they are able to have vacancies and not be on a waiting list for years. By the way, I gave Jeff a hug when I was leaving and he got so happy to see me happy. It honestly felt like family.

If I had a few minor complaints it would be these: the water takes at least 5 minutes to get warm in the shower, the pressure is very low, I wish there was a bartender there at all times (you're encouraged to make your own drinks), and I didn't like the weird mosquitos they have there (they don't buzz apparently, just bite and super small so they are hard to see). That is literally all I have to say that is slightly wrong. Maybe it being so expensive (relatively?). Was unfortunate for my wife since you can only pay the all-inclusive rate and my wife doesn't drink so we essentially paid extra for the drinks she wouldn't drink.

I highly recommend any of you reading this who want peace and relaxation to consider Small Hope Bay Lodge. There is so much great about this place that even this lengthy review can't cover all of it. The other guests you meet there too are great as they are all after the same thing you are. We met a lovely older couple named Barbara and Bruce who were our favorite people to have meals with. I highly recommend this place. We will be back VERY soon.

Room Tip: Most cabins have a shared bathroom between two units. Decide if you need your own bathroom. Every ca...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David J
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful review David! I am so happy you two had a great honeymoon! I've said it before but I'll say it again - our office staff is amazing. They are so wonderful about responding quickly and providing all the information you need. And the kitchen . . . Wow. They continue to outdo themselves. You really are part of the family now! The atmosphere, the staff, the food, and the beautiful Bahamas beach and waters are the things that make this pace so wonderful.

A note about the water temperature: We have recently switched over to solar hot water for all our guest cabins, lounge, kitchen, and hot tub. While this is a great step toward making our resort even more energy efficient and environmentally conscious, there were still some things that were being improved on that system while you were here. On your next stay you will see they have been addressed! Congrats again on your wedding!
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Because most people travel as couples and in groups, as I single traveler and diver, I typically read up 12 novels and sometimes more on a one-week vacation...at Small Hope... I barely made it through 3 in 10 days.

I chose Small Hope because of Nicky and Linda in the front office. I called other hotels in the Bahamas with questions about their resorts and diving and was politely but firmly told: "All of that information is on our website if you look..." When I persisted, I was shutdown pretty quickly. When I emailed I got obviously "cut and pasted" formatted answers...

I had real human-to-human chats with Nicky and Linda. When Nicky promised to call back with the necessary info re a single room - I was skeptical. The phone rang five-minutes later... it was Nicky and he'd figured it out for me.

I arrived and got the tour from Linda... she seemed surprised when I asked for a room key... but found one for me. The first few days, I locked my door out of habit.. and big city paranoia.

But after that, somehow - I couldn't be bothered... that Small Hope vibe had given me a certain comfort level and I left it unlocked and open with my work laptop, passport, credit cards, cameras, and oh yes, my cash - lying around - I'm not tidy by nature!

Was that smart? Likely not - but here's the thing - I came home with everything except a pair of socks that I'd left in the dive gear room... gotta love that! And oops.. I inadvertently came home with 2X2 lbs. in my BCD. Sorry!

The rooms are not fancy or luxe... but my bed was comfie... lots of pillows, plenty of towels... I was never hot. Asked for an extra blanket and it arrived in minutes.

Food is great - despite my pre-trip workout and bikini efforts -the chocolate pie(s) were irresistible. If it tastes amazing - those extra calories are worth it!

They don't cheap out on the food - hello shrimp, lobster, TUNA STEAK and tenderlicious beef steak. YUM. I'm not a big fan of carbs and while the homemade potato chips (handcut), scallop type, potato salad, couscous etc are fab - there were lots of veggie and salad alternatives. I'd cook the tuna a tad less (I like red versus pinkish) and ditto on the chicken tho that surely would have ensured complaints.

I love that hot chocolate, tea (regular and about 10 herbal varieties) are available always - my only complaint - the hot water and coffee aren't hot eno but if you ask they'll boil some.

Is there eno to do here? Well I did 16 dives in 7 days... and I meant to walk the beach, sail the Escape, kayak, hike, visit blue holes and hot tub but somehow I feel asleep whenever I wasn't underwater.

Depending on the season - bring long sleeves, 1 sweater, and maybe long pants. I'm a big wimp and wore a wool sweater one night and an entire wardrobe of fleece hoodies... especially valuable on the dive boat.

The diving:
I saw more fish in Fiji and the Maldives but it's not a fair comparison and consider the airfare and travel time tradeoffs. I've never had more fun on a trip or a dive boat than at SHB.

The dive staff are extraordinary (Dennis, Becky, Claudis, Fedi, Tony) - I saw them show compassion, generosity of spirit and caring kindness with a number of divers who needed helped due to physical issues or nerves.

The Shark dive rocked my world...

Despite the fact my Toronto dive shop checked out my reg and BCD before my trip - I had failures on both - Fedi managed to fix one, then another part failed and finally my BCD went... I used their equipment for a bunch of dives. TX guys!

They had a good laugh over the air-conehead I get with my hood and suggested holes... when I mentioned that Gary from Washington was determined to chase my hood with a knife.. the staff offered to make pretty, tidy, stable holes in a pretty pattern with a melting device - tx. Adam and Dennis.

Small Hope really is like summer camp for adults and despite the fact I loathed summer camp - I adored Small Hope - go figure.

Back in the snow and ice and grey - I miss Small Hope and its people more than ever.

I came home grinning!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank karadiver
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thanks for such a great review!!! I'm so happy you had a great time. We definitely had a blast with you too. I agree with you, our office staff is really wonderful. Don't worry about the pies though, on vacation there are no calories, right? I'm glad you got to unwind and relax here. This is definitely the place for it. We hope to see you again soon. Maybe you can try out the rest of the stuff on your list next time! Stay warm.
Ortonville, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you are looking for a truly laid back vacation without all the fluff and frills of a typical tropical hotel I would highly recommend Small Hope.
No trained dolphins
No piped in music from speakers hidden in manicured landscape
No highrises
Fishing
Snorkeling
SCUBA
Kayaking
Bike riding on bumpy roads
Exploring
Playing ping pong
Reading
Eating local food
Enjoying the company of only 30+ others who are there for the same reason you are.
It's the most REAL tropical vacation you will ever experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms (20?) are on ground level and look out to the water. Even the "furthest"...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna K
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thanks for such a great review Donna! It was great meeting you and your family. I am so happy you were all able to enjoy the things that make Small Hope special - the beach, the relaxation, getting away from it all, the great company here. I hope to see you guys back again for more fishing, relaxing, and maybe another dance party!
Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

The staff at SHBL were REALLY great with my gluten-free diet. They came to me at each meal to tell me what was safe and not safe for me to eat. They cooked a separate batch of gluten-free conch fritters for appetizers each evening, and specified that they used separate frying oil. They brought in hard cider and gluten-free beer from Florida, especially for me. They obtained gluten-free baking mixes ahead of time, and made cookies, cake, and similar items for my desert. I couldn't possibly ask for more to address my gluten-free diet. And it tasted good!

This is a small place, serving mostly buffet-style food, with the guests and employees eating together. The staff were friendly, attentive, and caring. They got to know me personally, so that I usually didn't have to ask about any of the food.

Somebody called SBHL "summer camp for adults" and it's a pretty good description. It's low-key, water- and outdoors-oriented, a place where you get to know the other guests and the staff. The cabins are roomy, comfortable, and clean, though the bathrooms are rather cramped. They are lined up along the beach, directly facing the ocean.

We bicycled each day to some nearby sight, such as a blue hole. I went diving each day. And we relaxed. It was just what we wanted.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank swimmer402
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thanks for the lovely review! I am so happy we could make your stay a great one, while making sure we provided you with some great gluten-free menu options. We always try to accommodate all dietary restrictions or requests and our kitchen staff does a wonderful job at incorporating gluten-free menu items. I am glad we could help make your vacation a relaxing one. Hope to see you back again soon!
On the road
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

It's interesting to me that the Trip Advisor review form asks writers to rate the *property* and not the *experience*. I am not one who measures the quality of my vacation by the kind of accommodations, but by the whole experience I have, how I feel while I'm there, and how I feel when I return home.

I must say, I have rarely returned from a vacation feeling more relaxed. Every time I stepped outside my cabin & caught sight of the water, I exhaled about 25 pounds of stress. Every moment I dozed in a hammock, I added back days to my life. Each time I looked down the beach, I felt a little more peaceful. Every time I sat down to breakfast or lunch or dinner & good conversation with a table of people I had met that day or that week, I felt energized. Each time I hung out with some fish-- I'm a snorkeler, not a diver-- I felt happy. Every adventure my husband and I embarked on added richness (and some good stories) to our many years together. To me, *these* are the things that ultimately make a five-star vacation.

I can understand that some reviewers might feel unhappy about showers, cabins, water pressure, beds, food, whatever. If you're considering this as a vacation spot, you have to understand-- this is not your standard 'resort'. It's on a mostly undeveloped island with no place else to go and nothing else to do-- no tourist shops, restaurants, nothing. Everything has to be brought in by boat or plane. Water is purified using reverse osmosis.

Do they charge if you want to use air conditioning? You bet-- at $1.50 per kilowatt hour, you probably would too. Are cabins, kayaks, bikes a little worse for wear? Yep, some equipment spruce-up would be good, but c'mon, when was the last time you rode a bike with fat tires and coaster brakes? Is wifi spotty in the lodge? Yep. They should either get a new router or make it clear that they really don't have wifi available during the day. If these things really matter to you, this is not your vacation destination.

Am I a shill for the management? Nope. My stay had its less than glorious moments. One night, I went into the teeny bathroom, tripped over the step to the shower and fell sideways into said shower. I startled my husband and had (have) a notable black & blue elbow to show for it. The next night, I used my head lamp.

A couple of times, I flopped into a hammock and my butt skimmed the ground-- OK, they should probably tighten the tie lines. The next time, I just hoisted myself into the hammock more gingerly.

We didn't have bugs, but we had some stiff breezes. I put on a long-sleeved shirt; if there had been bugs, I would have put on some bug stuff or stayed longer in the water. SHB is not in control of bugs, wind speed, or wave height, so comments about those things are irrelevant.

But the people of SHB? They are jewels. The Dive Masters, chefs, servers, office helpers, interns, everybody who works there, are each a joy to be around. I thoroughly enjoyed my conversations with them. And the other guests? I didn't love everybody I met, but that wasn't a requirement. I did, however, have conversations & adventures with people I liked a great deal & would look forward to seeing again.

The night before we left, as the traditional giving-of-the-certificate ceremony was underway with all its requisite silliness (including extreme caution and bravado!) I watched four new arrivals raising eyebrows at each other. They had opted to claim a table all to themselves, chosen not to extend a hand to any other guest in introduction, and thought it was appropriate to chat on a cell phone during dinner. I'm betting they come to Trip Advisor with a negative review.

I think Small Hope Bay is less about the physical 'stuff'-- food, accommodations, activities-- and thank it is about the ethos, of people reconnecting with the sea and nature and each other. *That's* why I'd go back to SHB in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank klbzklbz
Thanks so much for that review. I agree with you, the experience is what makes the vacation. And here, it sounds like you got to experience what we are most proud of - our beautiful location right on some of the most beautiful blue water in the world, relaxation, great food, and great conversation. Looking forward to the next time we see you!