Small Hope Bay Lodge
  • Restaurant
Kamalame Cay(Andros)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Albany, The Bahamas(New Providence Island)
View Hotel
All reviewsdive staffshark divebatik factoryconch frittersandros islandblue holejeff birchall inclusive resortother guestshot tubdive resortsummer campgreat divingnew friendslaid backfishnon divers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I discovered Small Hope Bay while searching for our honeymoon destination. We were very intrigued due to the massive amount of positive reviews and by the great price. It had been a while since I had been to the beach, but my typical memories were of crowded beaches in Florida with little room and no privacy. I had always assumed that was just how the beach had to be... until we went to Small Hope Bay.

When we finally made it to Small Hope Bay Lodge, we were greeted and immediately offered a drink while we went on our short tour of the place. The main lodge is great. It is filled with local artifacts, books, sitting areas, a bar, and the kitchen. The rooms were private, and very simple... exactly what you need if you want to get away. There are no distractions like TV's. Some people may find this as a downside, however we appreciated the lack of unnecessary technologies - it really allowed us to enjoy the time we had and not get caught up with what was going on in the outside world.

The beach is only a few steps away from your room, and the water is crystal clear. The feeling of privacy you get at Small Hope will make you never visit a "tourist destination" ever again. We took several walks down the beach and rarely saw another person.

There is plenty to do - swimming, snorkeling, diving, bike riding, exploring blue holes, fishing, you name it! We were never bored!

The food was fantastic! Prepared fresh, and we had something different every night!

The staff is amazing. They truly made the experience that much better. I have never left a resort with the feeling that I had made a bunch of new friends before. The employees of Small Hope Bay Lodge make you feel right at home. They are extremely friendly, helpful, and you can tell they have a passion for what they do.

I could go on and on about how much we enjoyed our trip to Small Hope Bay - it was truly unforgettable. I hope to be back one day, and hope to catch up with some of the great employees that I met down there!

Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Zach M
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thanks for such a lovely review Zach! I am glad you both got to appreciate the true beauty here on Andros - escape to a tropical secluded beach, great friends, great food, great times! We all really enjoyed getting to know you both and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I visited Small Hope in February and loved it so much we brought our whole family (12 of us) back in August. The trip exceeded our expectations. Our grandchildren's ages went from 7 to 31 and each one had a wonderful time. Our children and grandchildren all tried scuba diving (some for the first time). The youngest 2 participated in the SASY program. All loved it. Most of the group participated in a reef fishing trip and had a blast. The staff was wonderful to us, making sure we got to do all the things we wanted to do. The laid-back, friendly atmosphere suited all of us. The food was great and plentiful. The dive staff was great and made sure we were all safe during our dives. I felt we were truly treated like "family".

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gail A
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thanks so much, Gail! It was great seeing you again, as well as meeting the rest of the family. I am so happy you all had a great time. I am glad everyone got to give scuba diving a try, plus all the other family activities! I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our vacation to Small Hope Bay Lodge was awesome for the whole family and was very kid friendly. The staff were extremely helpful, caring and went above and beyond to assure that you had everything you wanted or needed. The Snorkeling and Scuba Diving was some of the best we have ever seen. We have been to other resorts, but enjoyed the Andros Island, Bahamas the most. Everyone made you feel right at home and very comfortable the whole trip. The food was very good with lots of flavor and seasoned perfect. We will definitely be back soon as this was a vacation to remember.

1  Thank Jeremy H
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thanks for the great review Jeremy! It was great getting to you and your family. I am so glad the kids got to try diving (among other things). And I agree with you on the food. The kitchen does a wonderful job! I very much hope to see you all back here soon!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've been going to SHB for almost 30 years, since I was 14 years old. Now my children are growing up going to this beautiful place and all but one have become certified divers! The dives are beautiful, the staff is awesome, and the location is perfect. I love the rustic atmosphere of the place - it makes me feel more in tune with nature.

1  Thank Indira G
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

It was great to see you and your whole family again, Indira! Thanks for the great review. We always enjoy having you guys here. Summer wouldn't be the same without you all. Next year we'll get your daughter diving too!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I had a fantastic experience at Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island. We went expecting to dive and left feeling as if we had just discovered the best kept secret on Andros. It is a great family gathering spot. We enjoyed the multi age groups of other diving families we met. The food was terrific. Fede and the entire dive staff couldn't have made us feel more comfortable watching our 13 year old learn to dive. It was a remarkable experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you Cari! I am so glad you had a great family vacation. It was wonderful meeting all three of you. I look forward to seeing you all again soon. We'll save some conch fritters for your Lucas!