“Small Hope revives and relaxes, again!”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Boston, Massachusetts
“Small Hope revives and relaxes, again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was our second trip to Small Hope and it brought back all of the wonderful feeling of our first. It was the perfect antidote to a crazy, hectic spring and is becoming an anniversary tradition. We were there primarily to dive and found a whole mix of other divers, snorkelers, and a bunch of folks fishing. The latter were kind enough to share some of their catch, which added to the great dinners on a few nights.

But that's what we've come to see is part of Small Hope. It's a friendly, welcoming community with a wild assortment of people. On this trip we reconnected with some folks from South Georgia we'd dived with last year and couple from Atlanta that we got to know. There were a group of Germans doing some serious Bone fishing. It's the friendly, informal atmosphere that encourages these things to happen between people who've just walked in and those that have been coming for years.

Part of this is generated by the meals, served buffet style (except for the hot breakfast, cooked to order - try the Bahamanian specials!) where there's a natural mix and mingle as everyone "oohs" and "ahhs" over the food. Part of this is the staff, who are making an effort not just to serve, but to get to know the guests. The other part is the size, this is a small community by design, given that there are just 18 (I think...) cabins.

Small Hope is not Sandals and certainly not Atlantis and that's why we came. There is no infinity pool with swim up bar. There is no pool (although there is a hot tub that is really nice after a day of diving). There are two pristine stretches of beach on both sides of the dock. There are chaises scattered under the palm trees for those times that you want to be alone in sun or shade. There is both an indoor and outdoor bar, well stocked and tended, but you're also encouraged to try your hand, if you want to. There are hammocks both near the bar (for those wanting a Jimmy Buffet moment) and far away (if more privacy or a nap is in order).

There are all sorts of water activities, too. There are a bunch of kayaks, stand up paddle boards, and a small Hobie catamaran. Bikes are available, but we've yet to feel the need to head out around the island (maybe next time!). Tours of the island, to Androsia Batik, or up to the indigenous village in Red Bay are on offer. We've heard good things about them, but have yet to experience them ourselves. We've had way too much fun just hanging out.

The diving is great. It wasn't until another guest pointed it out that I realized that I hadn't seen any other dive operations on any of our dives. I contrast this with Little Cayman or Roatan, where there were almost always others and times when I felt overrun by an onslaught of live-aboard groups. They run three dives a day (two morning, one afternoon and, weather permitting, the occasional night dive), which suits my needs. It leaves time to do other things in the afternoon (which for me was mostly to grab a beer and read). There are wall dives, lots of swim throughs, wrecks, and some great shallow dives. My favorite is Brad's Mountain, a 50 foot ridge with all sorts of fish, a moray, grouper, and some sharks who passed by. If the conditions are right, do Backside of Blue Hole, where the outflow of fresh water from one of the blue holes on the island creates an amazing mixing zone. This is a National Geographic-class experience.

The low key environment is exactly what we love about Small Hope is what will keep us coming back. Although never often enough!

Room Tip: There aren't any bad rooms, as it's really a matter of 100 feet or so in this lovely, small...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks Eric for such a great review! It was really good to see you two again and I am so happy you both had a wonderful time again. I agree the diving is awesome here and my two favorite things about it are 1. all sites are within a 20 minute boat ride from our dock and 2. we are the only people diving on the third largest barrier reef in the world!!! It is very refreshing when you compare that to some other great dive destinations that are teeming with other dive boats. I look forward to seeing you both again next year. Take care!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Took my Grandson along with my two sons and son in law on a four day trip to heaven with no TV,Happy People,Open Bar for me and a laid back atmosphere..Watching your !6 year old catch his first bone fish was just about as good as shooting his first duck..The guides were special and my grandson can cast 100 feet with little effort(no wind)...What a wonderful experence and we are still trying to decide who caught the most fish...Lawrence Smith

Room Tip: It is like Boy Scout Camp for adults/Family..The air might or might not work but plenty of fans and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thanks for the great review Lawrence! I am so happy the five of you had a wonderful time. We have some amazing bonefishing here and I am glad you all got a taste of it. Next time we hope you can stay a bit longer!
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just returned from the Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros. The food, diving and rooms were second to none. But the best part was the staff. Every person from divemaster to chefs treated me like a king. If you are looking for a great dive and relax spot, make sure to try my new favorite Bahama location ..... Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review! We really enjoyed having you here and I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to seeing you again!
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently celebrated my 70th birthday (a few weeks early) at Small Hope Bay on Andros. I cannot think of another place I would rather have done so.The staff-all of them- were so helpful and so much fun. I never saw a frown or a grumpy attitude. I did some diving(not enough) and all of the dive staff are simply great, proficient, efficient, and fun! Special thanks to Dennis and Fede! Sassy on the dive boat added to the fun. Small Hope Bay Lodge is not a luxury resort-thank heaven for that! The food and drinks were great, we liked out room(14), and enjoyed the trip to the Androsian Batik factory. Loved the extreme caution and bravado certificates!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank carol p
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thanks Carol! And Happy Birthday again! We are so happy the two of you enjoyed yourselves here. I agree - Dennis and Fede are awesome, as is the rest of the dive crew. It's hard to be grumpy at this beautiful and relaxed place. And Sassy, the dog, on the dive boat is a treat. Come see us again soon (and remember to exercise Extreme Caution and Bravado!).
Sanibel Island, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I and my adult son just returned from a diving vacation at Small Hope. We live in the Tropics ourselves but were looking for some Bahama "bottom time". We came away with a better and wonderful experience during the surface intervals.
Don't come here for a luxury resort with a million activities. Laid back, vacation minded people are what this resort caters to. The staff from the office to the kitchen to the dive shop were some of the happiest, most gracious people you will meet. I would not single out anyone of them as they were all so good to us. The family who owns and runs the place have over 50 years of experience on this Island. I personally believe Jeff has been "narced" one too many times, which makes him a perfect host for the guests.
The guests that this resort generally attracts are like minded and enjoy a good time. The conversations at cocktail hours are lively and animated. The food is mostly Bahamian in style and there is always something for every taste. Newlyweds, couples and singles should enjoy whether you want diving, fishing or just "vegging out".
Regards to all and thanks for allowing us to be part of your Family for a week!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank enzoed
Thanks for the great review. I am glad you three enjoyed your stay with us. We loved having you here. You hit the nail on the head about Small Hope - great conversations, very laid back place to relax, and great diving! Those are my favorite things about this place. We hope you guys come back soon! P.S. I hope you guys are fully recovered from your colds.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had such an adventure on Andros while staying at Small Hope Bay Lodge. Small Hope is such a special place and the staff here is so amazing, the took care of us like we were family. If you love hiking, exploring, snorkeling, diving, fishing and just plain old relaxation, I definatley reccomend this lovely piece of paradise. We did the blue hole tour, snorkel tour, suba tour and took advantage of their many other activities like sailing, paddle boards and kayaks. The hot tub right on the beach is a must, so relaxing. We loved the mixologists and Dennis makes an amazing Black Monkey (only one though, just wait to you see what's in this drink!). Book your trip to Small Hope Bay, you won't regret it! We will definatley be returning to our new forever friends, the staff at SHBL!

Room Tip: They are all Great, cottages only.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Kathy! You guys were so great. I am glad you had a wonderful time and got to experience a little of everything that makes Andros so special. I agree with you about the Black Monkeys - delicious, but a little goes a long way! We can't wait to see the two of you again very soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My son and I went there for a fishing trip as a present to him for finishing up at college. I read the reviews before hand, but we were still just expecting a couple days of fishing. We had a great time. Jeff and all the staff were very professional and friendly. The rooms are little more than sparce cottages, but that was kind of cool and it really added to the "laid back attitude". There were "maybe" 50 people there last weekend. There are probably 10-15 hammocks spread out beside of the cabins, I can't tell you the last time I read a book in a hammock, but it was very relaxing and I really enjoyed it. This isn't a 4 or 5 star resort in amenities as it has very few, but it is a 5 star in how comfortable and at home they make you feel. Go to small hope if you want a beautiful and laid back vacation.

The only negative is getting there. Maybe that is why it feels like a hidden secret spot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JDhappyfeet
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thanks for the review Joe. It was great having the two of you here. And thanks for the great Mahi Mahi catch. It was the best sashimi ever!!! I am glad you guys got to enjoy the laid back atmosphere here. It is one of my favorite things about Small Hope. Hope to see you both again!