“No place like it”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed March 17, 2013

It is easy to see why this resort is listed in the book "1000 places you must see before you die" as well as being cited in the NHY Times as a must see resort- It is quite wonderful and unique for divers, walkers, fishermen, bird watchers, relaxers alike. This is confirmed by the scores of visitors who return every year- some for 20+ years. The staff is wonderful. You will make friends of other visitors from day one.

This is NOT a glitzy Atlantis type resort... and that is to its favor. You learn to relax, contemplate and do activities as you please. You can be as social or a alone as you wish. The staff and owner is very accommodating. The food is local and superb. Drinks are included. On my visits I have met wonderful people from many occupations, preoccupations and countries. While there you are truly treated like family. Kids and animals are welcome and are a part of the experience. We plan to return often

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sam P
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thanks Sam! It was great seeing the two of you again. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. I agree, we are definitely not the big, crowded resort-type place. We love being a small, secluded true getaway experience. And you are definitely a part of the Small Hope family! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Small Hope Bay Lodge is a fantastic all-inclusive hideaway for anyone who loves the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and the peace and serenity of a remote island. The lodge is an awesome throwback to another era -- all stone and wood, with fireplace, outdoor terrace, pier with dive shop, and quaint rustic cottages along a private sandy beach and pristine shoreline. I just returned from a two-week stay on my own with my doggie Penny the poodle, who had the joyous run of the place while I went diving. Great staff--so accommodating, friendly and totally professional. Jeff Birch and his team rock! Shout out to Linda, Fedi, Erin, Tony, Rinaldo, Dennis, Nicky and everyone there. You folks feel like family. Great for kids and grown ups too. Put away the TV and pull up the hammock! The dive training and dive sites are also superlative. I can't wait to book my return trip. Love to all, Annie and Penny

Room Tip: All rooms are of equal quality. Do bring your own toiletries. This is a dive camp and lodge, not a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ann K
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thank you Annie! We loved having you and Penny here. I am so glad you were able to unwind from busy city life and enjoy the peace and relaxation of Small Hope. We can't wait to see you both here again soon and do some more diving with you. Hug to Penny!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place is awesome!! Our first trip to the Bahamas, and we choose Small Hope Bay Lodge as it provided a good family experience. Were able to fish, learn to dive, and mostly... RELAX. Family of 5 with children ages 6,9,12 and we were welcomed with open arms and felt like part of the Small Hope family. Very comfortable atmosphere, food is superb, service first class, beach is immaculate and fishing is great.

Have already booked for next year, which is something we have never done with any other place we have traveled (so much world to see, why go to same place twice?)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Toby R
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thanks Toby for taking the time to leave such a lovely review! We had a great time with your whole family. I am happy the kids had such a wonderful time fishing and playing ping pong, learning to dive, and enjoying the beach. You are all definitely part of the Small Hope Family. We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was our 11th Carribean dive vacation, the 9th different location, and was voted unanimously best ever by our family including our 2 daughters (aged 20 and 22). A magical place, to be sure.
The resort very much suits our style - quiet, friendly, safe, casual. The food was delicious and freshly prepared. Mealtime is a special affair, as the staff joins each table to mix - a real family atmosphere.
The dive experience is second to none. Since the dive shop is on the pier, there is no lugging of gear, which is very nice. Indeed, the whole dive operation is impressive - good dive boats, short boat rides to dive sites, fantastic reefs, skilled divemasters. It is what you might expect of a dive resort with such history.
The evenings are decidedly different from your average all inclusive resort. After the 'family dinner', there's the viewing of the daily dive video - and that's it. The rest is up to you. For us, it was comraderie at the bar and then off to our beachfront cottage. The rooms are a step away from the ocean and glorious sunrises.
Thanks to Rick Taman at SC Travel for insisting we book Small Hope Bay. We loved it. We'll be back - real soon.

Alvin & Cindy

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you, Alvin for such a great review! You and your family were wonderful. I am happy you got to experience the magic we feel Small Hope has. We all really loved having you here and look forward to seeing you all again.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Having visited Andros several times last year my girlfriend and I decided to go for a meal at Small Hope. It was buffet style and at $40 a head I was expecting something really good. We where sadly disappointed.

As I am an Avid Diver I thought it might be nice to go for a dive with them, even though I heard some horror stories about their safety.
I turned up to chat to the Manager Jeff and the Dive Master Mike, to scope it out and was treated like something they wiped of their shoe. And during the conversation I was even called an outsider as I wasn't a paying guest at their resort and just wanted to tag along on their dives if room permitted for $100 for a 2 tank dive.

I decided not to dive with them as their attitude to none resort customers stinks.

The rest of the staff I encountered where friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hanger_13

I am sorry that you left with that impression of Small Hope I cannot remember the incident. Persons from off property are called "outsiders" however the term is just to differentiate between resort guests and those coming for meals and/or diving. The fact is, however, due to the nature of our business we do organize and prioritize our schedule of activities for persons staying at the resort and typically within those parameters we are also able facilitate most needs of the "outsiders". We always try to welcome everyone, whether they are staying with us or just diving or dining with us. I am sorry this was not your impression.

Regarding your meal. Our dinners are all freshly prepared using many locally grown produce, a seafood entree, a meat entree, two delicious side courses, three different types of fresh salads, a homemade soup, and at least 3 different desserts. They are all you can eat, and also include as much wine as you like during your meal. Appetizers of conch fritters and veggie platter are also included. I cannot say how much this may cost elsewhere but we feel our price is fair. We also get many compliments on our food and our chefs.
Jeff Birch, Owner

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I almost don't want to write this review as it feels like sharing a well-kept secret with the rest of the world. I'm here right now, having returned for a 2nd trip in less than a year - we loved it so much the first time (4/2012) and have returned with another family for schoolbreak.

I could list all the things you can do here: diving (wide range from relaxing "strolls" to highly technical cave / blue hole), snorkeling, fishing (fly, deep sea, reef, creek), Batik printing, inland nature hikes, kayaking, and eating.

But, you can find that in a lot of places...what makes Small Hope Bay Lodge stand out is the whole atmosphere, the people who run the lodge, and the feeling that you're family. They really do care that you are enjoying yourself and make that special effort to take care of you. It's almost like coming back to summer camp, you feel like you reconnect with people, and you can be as active or inactive (in my case) as you'd like.

It's all inclusive, so your meals are all prepared, your room is cleaned up, laundry gets done, and they serve terrific conch fritters starting at 6:30 with delicious drinks and great conversation. The kids are well received here and celebrated when they do that first dive or see that cool fish or make friends with hermit crabs. Our kids have coincidentally met up this week with 4 other families with kids the same age - a built in play ground. I never worry about them getting up before me to head out for breakfast and then explore with their buddies. The lodge area is small enough with enough staff and other vacationers who know all the kids by first names.

What it's not - this is not a fancy, room service, highly scheduled, multi-pool, entertainment center, dolphin kissing resorty type of place. It's very low key, quieter experience with a small group of people. For some, that's a great vacation, for others maybe not so much. As I said earlier, I feel conflicted about sharing such a treasure of a place. :)

Room Tip: Room 5 and 6 have A/c if you feel the need. The overhead fans and stand up fans were plenty.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Elaine H
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thanks so much for the great review! We absolutely loved having your family here again. It was so much fun to watch the kids diving and playing with all the other kids. They are very sweet kids. I am glad you all were able to appreciate what we truly are and want to be - a secluded, off-the-beaten-track kind of resort, where you can be as active or inactive as you like and where you truly are part of our family! We hope to see all of you again here soon!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently enjoyed my second trip to Small Hope Bay Lodge. If your looking for a safe/quiet resort to dive, snorkel, kayak, bicycle, birdwatch, fish, or simply to unwind in a relaxing hammock, look no further. This destination will allow you to get away from it all and rejuvenate. It is ideal, whether your vacationing alone, with friends, family or your significant other.

Since my first trip last year, I've told everyone I meet about this exceptional vacation destination. People who know me hear it in my voice how much the staff of SHB Lodge and the residents of Andros Island have captured my heart.

If your looking for WiFi, a bar fridge and a TV in your room or you must have room service, this is NOT the destination for you.

This is an intimate resort where each guest has an equally spectacular view of sunrises/sunsets, palm and coconut trees, the beach and the water; just outside every room.

By the end of your stay you will likely know the names of most of the guests and staff and have formed many friendships.

If you choose to stay at Small Hope Bay Lodge, I hope you leave feeling captivated by the people, as I did. My only regret is that they haven't adopted me .... yet.

Room Tip: I stayed in cabin 5b. The coconut trees were not as tall by this room so I wasn't awoken by fal...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cathy C

Thank you for such a sweet review Cathy. We loved seeing you again. I am glad you had such a wonderful time. It was definitely our pleasure seeing your smiling face again. Looking forward to the next time!