“Ultimate relaxation & Spectacular adventure”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
London
“Ultimate relaxation & Spectacular adventure”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Relaxation……
Our second visit to SHBL was definitely the most relaxed 9 days we’ve had for a while. We met lovely people, both guests & staff. Had the best nights sleep, ever.
No need for shoes or a watch just a simple routine of eating, diving, massage, chatting & hot tubbing.

Massage was great, highly recommended.

Diving. The dive centre at Small Hope is steeped in history and the dive staff have an ethos that goes beyond the PADI books, there is a genuine passion for diving and a passion to share it with others at the heart of the place.
We dove a good variety of sites like walls, caverns, shallow reefs & of course the blue hole, fascinating geological stuff going on down there.
There was a mix of beginners and experienced divers while we were there, it was great to see a couple of people absolutely hooked after their first dive.

Adventure….
Did a couple of the ‘Specialty dives’ and these are what really sets Small Hope apart from other dive operators. 50+ years of exploration & experience combines with thoughtful customer service, geological knowledge and a sprinkle of magic. These dives are not for everyone but the ‘Over the Wall at Night’ dive is definitely the most special thing I’ve ever done underwater.
I said it at the time & I’m putting it in writing: Where else could you buy that, legally?

We’ll be back for more….

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haydn C
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thanks so much for the great review Hayden. I am sorry I missed seeing you two. It would have been great to see you again. It sounds like you had a wonderful time though so I am glad. I agree the massages are AMAZING! And the diving too! I am happy you were able to have a great and relaxing holiday and hopefully we will see you both again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Basel
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Sorry, but Reading all the positive reviews makes me feel I was at a different place. to make it short but clear:
- the rooms are run down, old, dirty, no hot water, always humid. I even don't want to describe what they call a bed
- diving is nothing special in regards to the reef but very special in regard to standards of safety
- food is good compared to burger king. At this price it is a shame
- staff is indeed friendly but that's it and that's not enough
SHB lodge is not a holiday location. You must have a sort of psychedelic misunderstanding of reality to like this odd location. never ever again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
25 Thank pharma1
I thank you for your response but I'm not sure I really think we are talking about the same place. Our rooms are indeed original cabins made when my father created the first Dive Resort in the Caribbean and have housed in their amazing history Politicians and Celebrities from around the world for the last 53 years. They are cleaneddaily and I wish you had brought up any issues while you stayed with us as our service has won us awards across the world and we would have jumped at the opportunity to solve it immediately for you.

As you know the rooms are right on the beach, and in addition to the ocean breeze they have ceiling fans and all are equipped with Air Conditioning, so the humidity does not get that high especially in February where it is very, very low. But I'm sorry you felt it was uncomfortable, again we maybe could have helped.

Our Diving also has access to the Third Largest Barrier Reef in the world, along with multiple blue holes, reefs, wrecks and caves so I wish you had let us know at the time as we could have found something to suit you. One thing that we will say is that our geological diversity can't be beat. We are proud that within such a short boat ride(20 minutes at most) there is so much marine diversity.

But to say our Freshly prepared food, cooked each day with fresh ingredients is like Burger King is unfortunate, and again makes me unsure we are talking about the same place. But again I do wish you would have said something as we again would have jumped at the opportunity to fix it for you.

We are very proud of our resort and getting away from the world to experience a proper remote Island Life experience is the core of Small Hope Bay Lodge. Because of that we can not be like Atlantis or Sheridan Hotels. We are a closer to the Good Life.

-Jeff Birch, owner
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by the rustic nature of the entire resort complex. Diving was great. Visibility 2nd to none. Staff extremely courteous and helpful. Meals & service excellent. All inclusive is the way to go. No TV, Radio, Boom boxes. Truly relaxing. Enjoyed fishing with Bonefish Bradly, caught 2 bonefish, a first for me. Will do it again soon I hope.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin S, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thanks for the great review Mick. We really enjoyed having the two of you stay with us! I am happy you appreciated some of the things that make Small Hope such a special place - being able to get away from the hustle and bustle and find a truly relaxing vacation. I'm glad you got your first bonefish! We have fantastic guides. We hope to see you two very soon!
Orford, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our family of 16, ranging from two 70 something grandparents, three adult coples and eight grandkids, has taken many wonderful trips in the past, but Small Hope Bay was far more than what our gang had hoped for - diving the world face Blue Hole, snorkeling, fishing from bone fish to deep sea, a wonderfully private beach, excellent food and unlimited drinks, all inclusive. All this delivered by an accommodating and very competent staff that could be the model for what great service is all about. Don't think Small Hope - think Highest Hopes - when you experience this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank heide and gordo... m
shbmkt, MarketingTeam at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for that glowing review! We absolutely loved having you and your family stay with us. I am happy you were able to experience so many of the things that make Small Hope and Andros so special - fishing, diving, snorkeling, as well as our amazing New Year's Eve party. It was wonderful to bring in 2013 with you and we hope to see you all very soon!
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 26, 2012

So we were supposed to arrive at SHBL the day before Sandy did but for obvious reasons changed it to a couple days after. The lodge was exactly what we expected, just what we wanted as the website gives a great description. It was great not to have a TV and there was absolutely no need for A/C in the rooms or dining area. If you're expecting to go to a tropical area and not get a bug bite, then you belong in a bubble. Bugs are a fact of life but they weren't as bad as my backyard in Washington DC. We were unable to dive due to rough sea from Sandy which was unfortunate but we knew the risk of going that time of year. Just this past week a woman was killed off Ft. Lauderdale when a 45 foot dive boat capsized so thank you "Mike" for looking out for our safety. We can always take another vacation if we're alive. Being your own bartender during the day is great, and if you need someone to do it for you NO PROBLEM. The staff goes above and beyond any I've experienced anywhere else. Anything you need, they do(within reason). Now the food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were incredible. I'm what some people call a "foodie" so I was suprised when every meal was to my liking. And conch fritters with fresh veggies every night for happy hour, doesn't get better then that. All the other guests staying at SHBL seemed laid back and in better then I would've expected spirits after dealing with Sandy during their vacation. Which says that's the kind of people who belong at Small Hope. The staff really made our stay there memorable as at one point there was only 5 guests total(due to Sandy) but they partied with us just like they were other guests or friends so there was never a dull moment. Ask Dennis to make you a 21 Rum Salute, it'll get ya. Anyway, we'll be back( my girlfriend and I) maybe for a wedding or honeymoon. Thanks to all the staff again.
-Brady and Lorena

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brady420
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review! I am so glad that Hurricane Sandy didn't stop you from coming nor from enjoying a great vacation. While we wish you could have gone diving, I agree with you. It is always better to be safe! Thanks so much for your praise of the staff. But when our guests are so fantastic it makes our job very easy and ridiculously fun! We look forward to seeing you both back here soon. And we'll definitely have to do some diving then . . . .
Conneticut
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Small Hope was exactly what we were looking for...a private, all inclusive oasis with fantastic diving, food to die for (thanks to Chef Cindy and her fabulous staff) , a large rustic room so close to the beach with amazing views.
I had the pleasure of dealing with Nicky since July and he is an asset to the office staff as is Linda , Stephano, Bruna and Renauldo... Nothing was a problem for them regarding scheduling , pricing etc. They will give you the best package that suits your needs.
All of the dive masters were top notch and the dives offered were wonderful and diversified. Erin, a dive master and marketing person was a pleasure as was the owner, Jeff and his buddy Mike who makes a mean, delicious "Monkey" drink. We cannot wait to return to Small Hope. Thank you to each and every one of you for an exceptional vacation.

Room Tip: My husband and I actually had two rooms since we made a reservation for 4 nights and stayed for 7. O...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AMcgConneticut
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review! We really enjoyed having the two of you stay with us and I am so happy you had a great time. I agree with you about our office staff - they are wonderful and will help you in any way they can. I am glad you both got to enjoy some of our great diving while you stayed here (and escape some of that winter up north too!). We look forward to seeing you again and hope you guys come back soon! Next round of Black Monkeys is on me . . .
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our annual trip to Small Hope Bay Lodge in the Bahamas was better than ever this year because we were able to link up with friends Linda and Dallas from Buffalo, NY and their group. The four of us were on site a couple of days early and left them in charge for a few days after we left.

Our travel plans (and theirs) were incomplete due to the ravages of Hurricane Sandy. It turned out that our AirTran connection through Atlanta was still in place, although theirs through LaGuardia had to be rerouted to Atlanta as well. That made the last leg of the trip from Nassau a breeze because Glen of Glen Air was able to accommodate the various arrival times and we didn't have to miss any connections to Andros on a regularly scheduled airline. That last leg was free as well, thanks to Small Hope Bay Lodge's special arrangement for groups arriving via Nassau.

We were able to make our favorite early morning wall dive every morning at 7 AM. Did I mention yet that the dive staff are willing to make any/all of your diving wishes happen? How about a night dive that starts at 5:30 because it was dark by then? "Sure, mon."

The food was great because of the talent of Chef Cindy - the newest addition to owner Jeff Birch's kitchen staff. She even came out and sat with us for her own dinner. Plus, she prepared separate spaghetti dinners for Peter and The Captain every night because that was their request.

The weather was perfect with little or no wind, calm seas, warm days and cool nights that needed a blanket.

All-in-all it was perfection.

Go there.

Room Tip: You don't need air conditioning because the room's ceiling fans do the trick.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank EasyDiverChris
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review. We enjoy having you and your group every year. I know Jeff loves taking the four of you Over the Wall at dawn every morning too. It is such a great way to start the day! I am very happy you all had a great time again. Cindy is a fantastic addition to the staff, isn't she? We very much look forward to your next visit and I look forward to seeing you four even sooner when I go to the dive show in March! Take care . . .