“Diving.... pushing the limit!!”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Diving.... pushing the limit!!”
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Everything you read in these reviews is true.. from the personal service of Jeff and his staff.. who are like a big family.. to the great food and laid back atmosphere. What I don't see mentioned is the great diving for those that like to push the limit. There are some great dives here I haven't found elsewhere. From deep.... deep dive profiles to blue holes to shark dives.. to night dives.. if you want to pay a little extra for once in a lifetime experiences.. it's all here.
We'll be back!

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — rooms are a bit rustic
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
South Padre Island, Texas
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Perfect getaway for relaxation, snorkeling, biking, walking, visiting the batik factory in town, or just reading a book on the beach. Cottages are directly on the beach with plenty of hammocks and outdoor seating. Divers will enjoy the dive trips (we are not divers, but we were never made to feel "out of the loop"). If you can't live without your television, in-room phone, computer, mini bar, then maybe Small Hope Bay is not for you...but, if you want good food, open bar, friendly staff, personalized service, and interesting people, come to Small Hope Bay Lodge. Most properties forget all about you as soon as you check out, but not this resort. When Jeff Birch (the owner) heard that our plane back to the states had been delayed, he personally brought conch fritters, sodas, and beers to the airport for us. Later, when we were still at the airport (after about 4 hours), he brought out pasta and other food to be sure that all his former Small Hope Bay guests had a great dinner. We have traveled to over 40 countries, but we have never gotten service like that! Visit Jeff and his staff! We certainly will be back.

Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Nassau
Reviewed February 28, 2008

Peace and Relaxation a beautiful white-powder sand with calm turquoise water is exactley what is to be found at Small Hope Bay Resort. The nights were so beautiful...you will never see as many stars anywhere else like at Small Hope Bay.I went there just to take a break from the fast city life.The food was AMAZING!!! The conversations were never dull and there were sooooo many interesting people to meet! There is something there to suit every taste even if you aren't into water sports. There is so much to do that it is impossible to get bored. I went during the Bahamian winter (which only goes down to about 75 degrees F on a cold day and about 55-60 at night) and was greeted by this big cozy fireplace! I live on Nassau (the capital), i have never seen a fireplace in the Bahamas and it was a pleasant suprise!!! The staff literally roll out the red carpet!!! THE SERVICE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! There is an amazing feel to the place in general. It really is like no place else I've ever went on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!! Living in the caribbean, nice beaches are not a rareity but everything was so WONDERFUL that I can see myself going there over and over again!!

Tyche, Nassau

• Liked — The service the staff who do more than whats needed to make the guest feel at home, food, and beach views
  • Disliked — I can't say that i disliked anything
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Syntyche
Oakland, California
Reviewed February 15, 2008

Our family stayed there for 5 days and we all loved it. My sons are 21 and 18 and we are in our mid 50's. My sons took the diving certifcation course and were very well trained. Since they were the only ones in the class it was tailor made for their needs and timing. My husband and I are cerfitifed divers so we took advanatge of the great diving facilities at the lodge. The dive masters were all great and extremely helpful. We loved staying at the lodge where everyone (guests, owners and staff) was incredibly friendly. The owners tell guests that we are staying in the living room and that's what it felt like. We met the owner as he circulated among the guests and welcomed everyone. It's a family run lodge and you feel their love of the lodge and the island they live on. If you don't dive there' s lots of other things to do. How can you beat having a cabin that's steps from the beautiful Bahamian waters? It's a wonderful all inclusive lodge that we hope to retun to.

• Liked — Very comfortable rustic cabins, beautful location and warm wonderful atmopshere
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Rashi
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed January 24, 2008

Everything I've read about Small Hope Bay Lodge is true - it is a beautiful spot, the staff is extraordinarily friendly and responsive, the water sports are marvelous. This is not, as others have pointed out, a posh place - it's rustic and very environmentally conscious. I would recommend it to anyone who loves beaches, good food, wonderful people (both staff and guests), and basic but nice accommodations.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — somewhat difficult to get to
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank fairbankstraveler
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed December 12, 2007

My wife and I honeymooned at Small Hope on the recommendation of her sister who had visited the resort previously. What we sought was a spot that had not been industrialized, and that is exactly what we got. We arrived on the island and were pleasantly surprised to not see a single McDonald's or Wal-Mart. The two-lane road (the only paved road on Andros Island from what I hear) wanders in no particular hurry to the seclusion of Small Hope Bay Lodge. Once there, we were welcomed by the staff and invited to eat (Which was perfect after a long morning of flying). We informed them that our luggage had been lost in Chicago, and were asked for the information. They told us not to worry, the staff would handle the rest. And they did (Eventually, Jeff (the resort's owner) got frustrated with the airlines and flew his personal plane across to Nassau to pick up our luggage for us... THAT is service).

The resort itself is as laid back as it gets. After we were shown our room, I took off my shoes and did not put them back on until we had to return to the States. All the meals are taken as a group, so we had ample opportunity to make many new friends, especially in the cocktail hour before dinner!!

The cabins can not be called five-star by any stretch of the imagination. They are cleaned daily and very spacious, but if you want a screaming hot shower and room service, go to Atlantis with the rest of the tourists. If you want to fall asleep with the breeze blowing the sounds of the ocean through the batik curtains, then this is the place for you. It's the rare spot where you can fall asleep in a hammock by the water and not be disturbed by a soul.

I should point out that the resort is extremely environmentally conscious and conserves as much energy as possible. Every light in the cabin is a compact fluorescent, there are no TV's, phones, or computers in the cabins (Prepare to be cut off from the world for a week, which isn't a bad thing), and while A/C is available, I recommend not using it at all. Fans suffice at night, and it isn't such a shock when you reemerge into the heat in the morning!

All that said, we fully intend to return as soon as possible. Small Hope was the vacation I have dreamed of since I first discovered there was a place called "The Caribbean". The only real downside is that I have been completely ruined: I can never stay at a regular "Americanized" resort on vacation again. I'll prefer to have a beach to myself.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — No direct flights to Andros from Indianapolis
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank my231
Ct
Reviewed November 10, 2007

Small Hope is very relaxing place to stay. Highly recommended for diving. The diving exceeded expectations and was world class. The ammenties of Small Hope are spartan, but the customer service is excellent. This is not a Ritz or even a Holiday Inn by an stretch of the imagination, but enjoyable none the less. I would highly recommend the Small Hope Bay especially to divers. I would not recommend SHB if you like hairdryers, room service and TV. It is not that type of resort. My wife who is not a diver enjoyed every minute of her vacation. There was a dog at the resort named Rex who was very friendly and was fun to go for walks on the beach with. He made us miss our dog a little less. Andros itself is a very quiet island with very limited night life and restaurants.

We will be back!

Rob and Victoria

• Liked — Relaxing! Get away from it all!
  • Disliked — There are only two flights out of Andros Island one at 7am the other at 4pm. Our flight was at 2pm so we had to leave our relaxing vacation at 6am in order to make our flight.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank vicdocbro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#2 of 5 in Andros
Andros Beach Club
Andros Beach Club
#1 of 23 in Andros

Been to Small Hope Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!