“Just go”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Boston
“Just go”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Even though we only stayed 4 days, and almost all the other guests had been vacationing there for decades, we left feeling like family members. Half the staff started out as visitoras - it's a tough place to leave, and some people never do! The diving is great, both for novices like myself, and for experienced divers who keep coming back. You can do all levels of certification. The food is fantastic, the rooms are amazing - better than they look in the photos. Sure, they're beachside cabins and life is simple here, but that's how it's designed, and people bend over backwards to make sure your needs are met. The shark dive, which has been so carefully researched and planned, was the highlight of the diving experience; the staff were the highlight of the vacation overall. Amazing to find so many interesting, friendly, and helpful people all in the same place. And the guests are pretty cool too. It's an international community and a little bit of utopia. I have travelled widely and this is all around 1 of the best places I have ever been lucky enough to stay at. It's unique. it fully deserves the accolades and the Tripadvisor awards. Just go.

Room Tip: The rooms are all good, steps from the beach. Almost all have a/c which you can have on for a surcha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank travelwriterBoston
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We really enjoyed having the four of you stay with us. I am glad that you all got to enjoy the great diving here, especially our shark dive. It really is an amazing experience. But I definitely agree with you - our guests are really cool! I hope to see you and your whole family back soon. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My son and I enjoyed 4 great days of diving at Small Hope over the 4th of July weekend. The diving was great, the staff hospitable, the food delicious and the self serve bar inspirational! Thanks to all of the staff members for making our trip so memorable. We just became certified divers and Small Hope made it easy to crank out 3 dives a day to help us gain more experience. I recommend the lodge to anyone who wants to focus on their scuba and enjoy great food and drink.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DS14640
Thanks so much for the kind words. I am very happy that you two had a great time with us. We really enjoyed having you. You both just gotta come back soon for some more diving! Hope to see you both in the near future.
Watkinsville, Georgia
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We first visited Small Hope Bay Lodge for the diving. Diving there is so easy -- just stow your gear in the hut on the pier and step into the boat a couple of times a day. Then we returned with a nine-year-old who spent most of the week floating with a snorkel in the shallow bay in front of the cabins. This year my husband went without me but took a five-year-old....who decided to avoid the water altogether and play table tennis all day, every day. Each trip was completely different, and all were super! SHB is small and isolated, and everyone knows you within hours of your arrival, so a well-behaved kid can be allowed a lot of freedom. The experience really is more like visiting family than going to a hotel -- one time a staff member took us to his home for ice cream! Someone described the grounds and cabins as being like a "summer camp," and that's the perfect image. It is quiet and peaceful. Bring everything you expect to need, as there aren't really any stores around. Go there for bonefishing, diving, snorkeling, bicycling, bird watching, lying in a hammock, or playing in a kayak.

Room Tip: The two-bedroom cabin gives surprisingly good privacy if you're traveling with kids.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank chrisbur
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely review. I am glad that you and your family continue to enjoy Small Hope. I agree, that every trip will be different, especially when the kids can dive, snorkel, play table tennis or just play on the beach and in the tide pools. We really enjoyed having your family here with us and look forward to seeing you all again soon!
Minneapolis
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Me and my dive buddy just got back from a week long diving trip to Small Hope Bay Lodge on the island of Andros in the Bahamas. Everything about the trip from the diving to the helpfulness of the staff was exceptional. The owner Jeff Birch, took the time to create a diving schedule that accomodated our specific diving requests, which included caverns, huge 3D mazes of underwater swim throughs, walls, shark diving, deep blue diving and a truly fantastic ocean blue hole. We had an inclusive week long package that included up to 3 dives per day, all meals, beverages and accomodations. The food was also exceptional, including a variety of choices at each meal. The diving staff went out of their way to ensure everyone (at all diving levels) had a great experience. The friendliness of everyone made the experience truly personal.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are right on the beach, in a classic tropical paradise atmosphere. A/C is optional...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bg007tiger
Brian, you and Barry were so much fun. I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Small Hope. You two really got to experience some of our most unique and special dives. Thank you so much for the great review and for those wonderful photos you sent. I can't wait for you both to come back and dive Alec's caverns again with me!
Athol, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I've been to Small Hope Bay Lodge 11 times in the past 12 years. SHBL is where my husband and I learned to scuba dive. Dive staff is helpful and responsive, always ready to lend a hand however it's needed. Kitchen and housekeeping staff are pleasant and efficient. The food is beyond compare and their drink, Screaming Black Monkeys, will knock your socks off. Ok, your sandals off! Their motto, "When you're here, you're family" is right on! My trip this year was a memorial service to leave my husband's ashes at the ocean blue hole. Jeff, the owner, did an amazing, respectful job of setting the entire thing up. I intend to go there for as long as I am able to travel, whether I scuba dive or not. There's so much to do other than that, such as snorkeling, kayaking, bird watching, or just hanging out relaxing. Love you guys!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but I like the cabins farthest from the main lodge.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Lyndale S
shbmkt, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Lyndale it was so lovely to see you again. Thank you for the wonderful review. And thank you for choosing to share such an important occasion for you and Jim here with us. It really means a lot to Jeff, Mike and the rest of the staff. We enjoyed getting to meet the kids and grandkids. I look forward to seeing you soon!
Carstairs, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My son and I accomplished our first dive together at Small Hope Bay. It wouldn't have been possible without the patience and understanding of the dive staff, and we both appreciate them immensely. Small Hope Bay is a piece of paradise, and the Lodge staff are wonderfully caring and do whatever it takes. The all inclusive meals were amazing! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Marketing Team at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Laura it was so nice having you and Stuart stay with us. I am thrilled that you were able to learn to dive and complete your first dive with your son, I know all the dive staff were very happy to be apart of your achomplishment. Safety and comfort are very important and our staff do everything to ensure our divers are comfortable and safe while under the water. When you left you were very excited about diving and this is something that is great to see. Keep the fire and when you come back again we will be sure to get you certified! Congratulations again Laura you did great!
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My new bride and I spent our honeymoon at Small Hope and what a treat! The staff was great, food was excellent and couldn't have asked for a more romantic place to start our new life together! Thanks for the memories, we will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms were great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cullen H
Cullen thank you for those kind words about Small Hope. It was great having you and Krista here for your honeymoon. You guys definitely embraced the beauty of Small Hope and fell easily into a very relaxed and care free routine as you should while on vacation in paradise. I am so pleased to know that you will be back again! We will have the conch fritters waiting for you!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andros
Swain's Cay Lodge
#2 of 5 in Andros
Andros Beach Club
Andros Beach Club
#1 of 23 in Andros

Been to Small Hope Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!