Recently returned from SMBL and had a great time. Our initial intrigue was the off-the-beaten path location, the beautiful waters, and bone-fishing offered on Andros Island. We had a personal recommendation to SHBL and also checked out reviews before making our reservation.
After visiting SHBL, our opinions concur with some of the other notes posted on this board. We quickly realized the greatest draw for their guests is the phenomenal diving opportunities offered but not being divers ourselves, only heard about those excursions from other guests. The PROS we would note are the very friendly and accommodating staff, good food, excellent fishing/diving opportunities, meeting people from different parts of the world, and the relaxation the location affords. The CONS were not really an issue for us but will pass them along to be helpful to others. We were glad to have been prepared(from prior guest reviews)for the "rustic" accommodations but we found them to be clean and adequate(although shampoo would have been nice!)We had hoped to snorkel just off-shore but that did not seem particularly good at the time we were there so we didn’t even try. Our fishing excursions were not great due to weather conditions but they were good and our guide was very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Overall, we had a lovely time and came home very rested and refreshed.
We would recommend anyone considering a visit to SHBL to really understand the type of place it is so that your expectations are met. As others have stated, it is not a posh resort but certainly has a niche for those who love a smaller, simple place, in a fantastic location, with a staff eager to make your stay a memorable one. Jeff, Mike, and crew do a great job and work very hard to make you feel like you are a part of their family~
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have been catering to scuba divers, snorkelers, fishermen, eco-tourists, and relaxers since 1960. Third largest barrier reef in the world and bonefish heaven. There are 21 all-inclusive rooms in cottages right on the beach. Come experience our unique ambience, friendly staff, and natural safe environment. Our dock and dive shop are right on property and fishing trips are easily arranged. Of course, if grabbing a drink, a book, and a hammock are more your style, go right ahead. We have 2 beaches and plenty of hammocks. Rest, Relaxation, and Rediscovery ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Small Hope Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Small Hope Bay Hotel Andros
- Small Hope Bay Resort
- Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros, Bahamas