“Small Hope Bay Lodge: Family Friendly Beach Fun in Andros Island, Bahamas”

Small Hope Bay Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Andros
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My family recently stayed at the Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island in the Bahamas. We discovered the lodge while looking for an all - inclusive resort that was family-friendly and did not feel crowded or commercialized like many big hotels can. Here were our top 5 favorite things (no particular order) about the Small Hope Bay Lodge all-inclusive experience:

1. THE FOOD! Fresh fruit and continental breakfast with several choices for hot breakfast every day. Lunch and dinner always included several salads, vegetable side dishes, meat and seafood choices, western food as well as traditional Bahamian cuisine. We ate better food at Small Hope than in Nassau. Drinks were also included, and we enjoyed the socializing with other guests during the pre-dinner happy hour.

2. Beautiful, uncrowded beaches! My children (ages 3 & 5) loved hunting for the perfect shell on the beaches and in the tidal pools in rocky areas. We took advantage of the hammocks on the beach and the warm, shallow waters for easy beginner snorkeling.

3. DISCOVER SCUBA! My husband and I had always been curious about scuba and wanted to test the waters before taking on PADI certifcation. The complimentary Discover Scuba course allowed us to learn some basics and have an easy and brief shallow water experience. We LOVED the course and were able to do an additional shallow water dive for a reasonable cost that will count toward the certification process.

4. A natural, 'untouristy' experience. We enjoyed some interesting diversions that Andros Island has to offer: The Androsia batik factory where you can learn to batik some of your own material. We also enjoyed a short bike ride to swim at the Blue Hole lake (sunken cavern) in a nearby Bahamian national forest. Small Hope Bay Lodge offers Island tours and other diversions aside from morning and afternoon dives in many diverse locations along the Bahamian reef.

5. The Staff and the Locals. We enjoyed meeting the locals when out and about - everyone seemed very open and friendly. The staff at Small Hope Bay Lodge made an effort talk to all the guests, socialize during meals and happy hour, and make special occasions (birthdays, weddings) during the stay memorable.

We were sad to leave Small Hope Bay Lodge when our trip came to an end, and I may just have to honor my 5 year old's request of 'Mom, can we come back here every single year?'

The Small Hope Bay Lodge is worth the journey off the beaten path!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank boulderhudsons

Reviewed June 9, 2011

We spend one week at the Small Hope Bay Lodge in Andros. It was a beautiful place for vacation. Service, food, and offered activities are excellent, especially the diving. You won't find any better place to explore the world beneath the surface. The staff was always very pleasant and helpful. If you want to escape the hubbub of the main tourist islands of Bahamas this is the place to go. Further, you do not have to worry about your bill: Small Hope is an All Inclusive Resort, which is very rare at the Bahamas.

We are absolutely sure: There is only Small Hope that you would not enjoy it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick_and_Carolin
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My boyfriend and I returned to Small Hope Bay Lodge for the third time in May, bringing my father with us this time. This is the only place we've ever been in the Bahamas, and it's a great all-inclusive vacation spot for anyone who wants to get away from it all and is looking for something that's more rustic than glamorous. Best for folks who enjoy diving, snorkeling, or bonefishing, but my dad had a good time just hanging out and reading. Highlights include Blue Hole diving, shark diving, meals at the ocean's edge, and a terrific staff. Dive Small Hope and experience maximum caution and bravado!! :)

1  Thank scubagirl44
Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Small Hope Bay Lodge in Andros, Bahama's for 8 days and we will definitely be back. If you are looking for a laid back experience where you really get to know the other guests and staff, then this is the place for you. When you arrived, you immediately felt like a member of the Small Hope Family. The service was unsurpassed-personal, friendly and immediate. The food ranked right up with any 4 star restaurant and the atmosphere was casual and relaxed. The rooms were rustic yet very comfortable. We were feet from the ocean. And the diving was fantastic. We dove everyday and never went further than 15 minutes or so out to the dive site. The boat did not leave until 9:30 so we got to sleep in, take a our time and get the boat in plenty of time.Thanks to Jeff and all of the staff for a fantastic stay.

Just be sure to pack everything you need in terms of toiletries, insect repellent or sun tan lotion or dental floss. These items are hard to find on the island and they were expensive.

2  Thank Tennessee-diver
Reviewed May 23, 2011

If you are planning a trip to the Bahamas and want casinos and entertainment, this is not the place for you. But, if you are a nature lover and are looking for a place to be restored, to relax and enjoy the beauty of the Bahamas, this is it. My husband, my adult daughter and I traveled to Small Hope in early May 2011. I had researched alot of dive resorts on the web. Small Hope kept ringing true to me as the place for us and I was right. It was everything we had hoped it would be. Small Hope is small and intimate. The staff is the best anywhere and the diving and snorkeling in crystal clear waters was beyond anything we expected. The cabin we stayed in was rustic and decorated with island fabrics and very comfortable. The food was excellent! We loved the intimacy of Small Hope. We met people from all over the world and made lasting friends there. I have to give high praises to the dining staff (Jardie, Chanel and Kalisa). I have never seen such hard workers from early morning (breakfast) to after dinner clean up. I just loved these young women! And, Renauldo who worked in the office, and was "on duty" at the bar and at dinner time, became a fast friend. We learned so much from him as a person. In many ways our vacation felt more like a retreat. We left expanded with a wider view of the world. Every morning I got up earlier than my husband and daughter. When they would wake up I would say, " It's another day in paradise." Blue skies and emerald green waters right outside the window. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank bcnewton50
Reviewed May 20, 2011

My girlfriend and I spent 5 nights at SHBL and were over whelmed by the first class service, exquisite cuisine, comfortable accommodations, world class bone fishing, (and the 2 fully stocked open bars was a nice touch also). Though we regret we didn't do any diving, they have an amazing operation, and look forward to diving there next time. Let me first say, that Small hope bay lodge is a place to relax, dive, birdwatch, sight see, bonefish, be pampered, eat 5 star food, meet good friends, and have an amazing vacation. We arrived at SHBL and before we knew it a cocktail was in hand and we were on a tour of the grounds. Impeccable, with hammocks and loung chairs set up all along the beaches. The rooms were private and comfortable. At 6 we met many of the lodges other guests ( the lodge was nearly sold out), for a cocktail at the outside bar, and the area where dinner is served. Shortly after, appetizers were served, and at 7 pm the chef announced the nights menu. Alaskan king crab legs, bbqd rib eye steaks, salads, conch soup, rice, breads, and 3 different home made deserts. Oh, and it's all you can eat. If your drinking wine it's never empy. Then awards are given out to those who did something like their first wall dive, etc. Then inside for the days dive video. Then back to the bar, for cocktails, Cuban cigars, or reading in the book room. The next day coffee, eggs, grits and bacon for breakfast, and see that our cooler has been packed with lunch meats, tuna salad, breads, etc. Fruit and deserts, then to the bar to fill up with beer, waters and sodas for the days bone fishing. Ricardo Mackey met us at breakfast, and soon we were on fresh creek stalking literally thousands of bonefish. We caught a dozen the first day 3-7 lbs.
This went on for the entire 6 days.
overall, the staff is outstanding, the food is excellent, accommodations were comfortable, but not over the top, the fishing was world class, and we can't wait for our next trip to SHBL. Damien and Syd

1  Thank conig11
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I made myself a bucket list and at the top was to learn to SCUBA dive. I did my certification work in the Chicagoland area and went to Small Hope Bay Lodge to finish my open water work. My friends have been going there for decades and said I would like it. They were wrong, I LOVED IT. The diving was spectacular. The staff was efficient and very friendly. The dive masters were also excellent, very encouraging and helpful to a new diver. By the third day they helped me be comfortable in the water and they challenged me with some great dives. Jeff, my fiend Randy, Antonio (my teacher and friend), Joe and of course my Bahamian friend Dennis are the greatest.

One of my fears in going to a small place like this was "would I like the food"? Well the food was fantastic. The chefs were extrodinary. Each supper was as good or better than the night before. Scott, the head chef, was very accomodating with my food allergies and a super skilled chef. I can't say enough about how good the food was. Oh yea, the rum is really good too and it flows freely.

There was a wedding there and it was wonderful. On the beach in the evening, it couldn't have been more beautiful.

Every morning from my bed I watched the sun rise or I would go to the hammock just outside my room to watch it. So beautiful.

I wish I could go there every other month but I have to work for a living, so I must be content to visit there once or twice a year. So yes I am going back.

Go there, you will love it if you like to relax, fish, snorkel, swim, enjoy the sun and most of all SCUBA dive.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.