My family recently stayed at the Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island in the Bahamas. We discovered the lodge while looking for an all - inclusive resort that was family-friendly and did not feel crowded or commercialized like many big hotels can. Here were our top 5 favorite things (no particular order) about the Small Hope Bay Lodge all-inclusive experience:
1. THE FOOD! Fresh fruit and continental breakfast with several choices for hot breakfast every day. Lunch and dinner always included several salads, vegetable side dishes, meat and seafood choices, western food as well as traditional Bahamian cuisine. We ate better food at Small Hope than in Nassau. Drinks were also included, and we enjoyed the socializing with other guests during the pre-dinner happy hour.
2. Beautiful, uncrowded beaches! My children (ages 3 & 5) loved hunting for the perfect shell on the beaches and in the tidal pools in rocky areas. We took advantage of the hammocks on the beach and the warm, shallow waters for easy beginner snorkeling.
3. DISCOVER SCUBA! My husband and I had always been curious about scuba and wanted to test the waters before taking on PADI certifcation. The complimentary Discover Scuba course allowed us to learn some basics and have an easy and brief shallow water experience. We LOVED the course and were able to do an additional shallow water dive for a reasonable cost that will count toward the certification process.
4. A natural, 'untouristy' experience. We enjoyed some interesting diversions that Andros Island has to offer: The Androsia batik factory where you can learn to batik some of your own material. We also enjoyed a short bike ride to swim at the Blue Hole lake (sunken cavern) in a nearby Bahamian national forest. Small Hope Bay Lodge offers Island tours and other diversions aside from morning and afternoon dives in many diverse locations along the Bahamian reef.
5. The Staff and the Locals. We enjoyed meeting the locals when out and about - everyone seemed very open and friendly. The staff at Small Hope Bay Lodge made an effort talk to all the guests, socialize during meals and happy hour, and make special occasions (birthdays, weddings) during the stay memorable.
We were sad to leave Small Hope Bay Lodge when our trip came to an end, and I may just have to honor my 5 year old's request of 'Mom, can we come back here every single year?'
The Small Hope Bay Lodge is worth the journey off the beaten path!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have been catering to scuba divers, snorkelers, fishermen, eco-tourists, and relaxers since 1960. Third largest barrier reef in the world and bonefish heaven. There are 21 all-inclusive rooms in cottages right on the beach. Come experience our unique ambience, friendly staff, and natural safe environment. Our dock and dive shop are right on property and fishing trips are easily arranged. Of course, if grabbing a drink, a book, and a hammock are more your style, go right ahead. We have 2 beaches and plenty of hammocks. Rest, Relaxation, and Rediscovery ... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Small Hope Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Small Hope Bay Hotel Andros
- Small Hope Bay Resort
- Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros, Bahamas