“Absolutely worth a visit”
Review of Gold Rock Beach

Gold Rock Beach
Book In Advance
More Info
$49.99*
and up
Bahamas East End and Lucayan National Park Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This beach is as pretty as a postcard, with smooth white sands and clear blue waters.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

We stopped at Gold Rock Beach for just an hour and wished we had more time to take it all in. We were lucky enough to be there at low tide with a virtually empty shoreline. It was truly a stunning beach. Our tour guide shared that the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were filmed on this beach. We spent our hour walking the coastline. We were lucky enough to see a pair of Piping Plovers ( endangered birds) hopping along the beach.

4  Thank Lisa T
All reviews
"low tide"
in 100 reviews
"pirates of the caribbean"
in 24 reviews
in 4 reviews
"bring a picnic lunch"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed November 28, 2014 via mobile

I have been to beaches all over the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico and Europe but let me tell you this beach is stunning! One of the most gorgeous I have ever seen. There are just no words adequate to describe it. You can sit and look at it for hours. All the shades of blue, very little people, crystal clear water. This isn't a beach for party's or water sports. It felt like you entered a sacred space which begged for quiet reflection. Facilities across the road with bathrooms. Lady at the entrance who sells drinks, water and snacks. Can't wait to go back

3  Thank ireland76
Reviewed November 22, 2014

We visited as part of a cruise excursion. During our visit it was high tide but the beach was still beautiful. We took the opportunity to just relax and enjoy the serenity as the cruise had been so busy it was nice to get away to some quiet. I would highly recommend a visit to Lucayan National Park and Gold Rock Beach. The drive out was about 20 minutes or so and you could see the devastation the hurricane had done to the island Some areas will never be the same.

Reviewed November 21, 2014

Almost seems like a hidden treasure in the National Lucayan Park! This was my number 1 place to visit on my list & I was not disappointed! We were there at high tide & I've heard is best to snorkel at low tide. Husband & daughter did snorkel anyhow & swam out by a small reef that's there & they said it was their favorite spot to snorkel the whole week we were there. Tons of sand dollars to see, fish & a stingray. My little one & I were able to walk out quite a ways to a sand bar where the water was only up to my shins, so we spent alot of time out there in the water while waiting on the snorkelers. Bring your towels to lay out on, sand toys for little ones, its a beautiful beach!!

1  Thank LizH95
See more reviews
Reviewed November 15, 2014

After researching things to do on Grand Bahama Island, Gold Rock Beach always scored high on people's lists. After making a visit, I now understand why! This beach is simply stunning... It is one of the loveliest beaches I have ever visited!

When we were attempting to obtain a driver to take us to Gold Rock Beach at the cruise docks, it was a bit crazy- all of the drivers vie for your business, many of them inflating the prices for the unsuspecting tourists. We lucked in to talking to Zelda (whose taxi company name I do not remember, but the employees were wearing uniforms of black pants and red shirts with the company logo embroidered on them), who told us that this beach is one that the Bahamas use in their brochures because it is so beautiful, but because it is a 45 minute drive, and so isolated, it will cost you about $125-$150. Part of the reason for the cost is that the driver must stay with you for the duration of your visit. Even though this seems a bit of an expense, the beauty of this beach is worth it! Zelda turned us over to her nephew, Ashton, who drove us out to the beach. Ashton was wonderful! He pointed out various things of interest on our drive and gave us a great history of the island. I cannot say enough about how great Ashton was! He (and Zelda) is honest and has a great deal of integrity- I would highly recommend seeking him out as a driver.

Gold Rock Beach is located in Lucayan National Park. There is a $5 per person admission fee. We crossed the street and walked through an estuary/mangroves to get to the beach. Oh.my.goodness! This beach is gorgeous! The water is no deeper than your knees for several hundred feet out. Our friends elected to snorkel and had a great time. They said that they didn't see a great variety of sea life, but they were just happy to be in such incredible surroundings. I encountered crabs and fish as I waded in the shallow water. a caveat: part of the beach is privately owned; do not think to cross that boundary or you will encounter a racist and nasty woman named Erika who operates kayak tours off that part of the beach. The other side of the beach is lined with upended trees that make for startlingly beautiful pictures. On the day we visited, there were only 4 other people on the beach until the kayak group showed up. Know that the beach is narrow at high tide, but there is room to sunbathe and stow your belongings. There is no food or bathroom facilities on the beach, but on the day we visited, there was a woman selling beverages and snacks out of her car by the road, and there is a fairly clean bathroom in Lucayan National Park.

This beach was worth the cost of the drive... I cannot wait to return to Freeport, solely to visit this beach again!

3  Thank ErinKate25