“Will Look For Another Hotel Nex Trip”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed September 26, 2010

The hotel itself is a far walk from where you check in. They have a Starbucks on the first floor but the smell of coffee mixed with warm sea air( feels like no ac in this section) is nauseating. Mold in showers. They have balcones but you can't use them because there are so many ac units out side the window you can't talk.

Checking in and out is a long wait. No organization from the front desk here.

When you eat at the resturants at this resort they automatically include 15% tip. Therefore, no incentive for waitresses to do a good job.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sellright
Write a ReviewReviews (3,036)

Reviewed September 25, 2010

This is not a place to visit during September, the place was virtually deserted. Staff was very unfriendly and half of the restaurants were closed, or either not available on the all exclusive plan we purchased. We booked our trip through Cheap Carribean.com, and do not feel that we were given fair representation of the Bahamas. Very few tours to chose from and even those were misrepresented. Also the hotel provided absolutely no nightlife. For all of my negative responses, I must say the hotel grounds were very nice with beautiful pools and beaches.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This cruise was booked through Ramada Inn Plaza Resorts, Fort Lauderdale, FL with meals and hotels included. We encountered multiple problems before we ever arrived at Lucaya including: 1. Initially, we were given the wrong passport requirements which caused a month delay in our scheduled trip. In doing so, according to other reviews, we lucked out when we did not have to stay at the Ramada Plaza in Fort Lauderdale. We had a wonderful room at Sheraton Suites instead although even the Sheraton was located on the "bad side of town" by the interstate. Although the hotel was nice, the meal vouchers were not valid at the Sheraton; therefore, we commuted to the Ramada for our meals. 2. I was told my meals were included at Lucaya, but the Welcome Center denied this. After a lengthy wait on my personal cell phone, I finally spoke to a manager and got the issue resolved. 3. The Welcome Center told me the timeshare presentation would be in Ft. Lauderdale. Upon my arrival there, they informed me that I was supposed to be in West Palm Beach. They also indicated the presentation would last 2 hrs. Instead, it was SIX whole hours long.

Upon arrival at Lucaya, there was an extended line at checkin. There were approximately two hundred people waiting in line at one time for checkin with about six employees actually checking people in. People were irritable to say the least, and it took at least an hour to complete the checkin process.

We found our suite at Lucaya to be satisfactory. The biggest problem was with the meal vouchers which allowed us to eat breakfast at Barracudas, but lunch and dinner were limited to Sugar Hill and Prop Club. We could choose to eat at Sugar Hill, but, trust me, that place requires a fly swatter and a pellet gun. They had more flies there than the city dump. When I was not afraid of catching a fly in my mouth while taking a bite, I had to be worried about a flock of birds flying off with my plate. They could film a remake of the movie "Birds, Pt. 2" there. If they required a health rating (which they do not), it would have been minus one hundred.

We decided after the first trip to Sugar Hill and finding a fly in my fries, that we better try the Prop Club. We were given a limited menu that contained only three or four items with the meal vouchers. Others received a full menu. Also, a person needed to be "part camel" because the lemonade was watered down and the glass was the size of a big thimble. It took an act of Congress to get a refill. We had to wait an hour for our food and finally got up and left. Unfortunately, there were no other restaurants to choose from on the meal vouchers, so we had to return to the Prop Club. We were treated like second class citizens because of the meal vouchers. The Prop Club was an old gas station with surrounding bay doors that didn't close properly which allowed extremely brave birds to fly freely and frequently throughout the restaurant. Between bites, I had to shoe birds away from the table. The air conditioner duct was dripping water on our heads while eating. The service was quite pitiful to be honest.

The resort was rather secluded with no entertainment. There was limited shopping but each booth had the same merchandise. It reminded me of a flea market.

I hope you don't get hit by a shark because I had an accident, cut my toe, and called the hotel doctor. Although it was 12:01 AM, I was informed the doctor does not take calls after midnight. Make certain you don't swim after midnight.

If I was ever trying to find a way to make a killing, I would open a fly swatter factory and pellet gun manufacturing company in Freeport, and would be a multi-millionaire immediately.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I decided to hop over to Freeport to do some diving and to escape from noisy Nassau. Not only were accomodations much cheaper, it was also nice and quiet. When I booked this place, it was still under the Sheraton name but it was changed over to Radisson when I arrived. Neither Sheraton nor Radisson was able to offer me hotel points for the two night stay because I apparently booked in a no man's land time period of transition. There are plenty of restaurants across the street in the marketplace and a casino next door for the evenings.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2010

The title pretty much says it all.

This is a large facility, very well maintained with all the things one would expect at a 3 or 4 star hotel in the USA: Internet, Cable TV Channels, Room Service, Several On-Site Restaurants, Good Service and compared to Nassau, prices that were substantially lower (especially compared to Paradise Island).

The Our Lucaya Marketplace is directly across the street - kind of a mini Paradise Island Marina Village but again, prices lower.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend the Radisson Our Lucaya Resort.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SOBEMiamiBeach
Reviewed August 28, 2010

The food is terrible. My family and I had the same type of breakfast for the 5 nigths we stood in.The all-inclusive is very limited. In all the places I had been all-inclusive means you paid for everything in advance, you get what ever you want, and do not need to be signing in a receipt everytime you asking for water.

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank Yeye27
Reviewed August 27, 2010

This was a last minute getaway for a really cheap price. I booked the trip on discovery cruise. I have been to freeport numerous times and I thought I was staying in a nice hotel. The check-in is horrible. The bed itself was dirty and nasty. I told them to bring me extra bedding and it was done on their time. The staff is very polite and friendly. The breakfast buffet was really good inside the hotel. The swim-up bar on the Radisson side was really cool. Everything on the island is expensive except for the drinks. The beach is nice but crowded on this end, but not so crowded on the Radisson end. Next time I will spend the extra money and stay at the Radisson (sister property). They are both on the same grounds which is nice and well kept. This hotel looks nice and the rooms are spacious and have a view of the ocean but are very nasty once inside.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoslynF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!